As Predicted By Anyone With A Brain, The ACC Is NOT Getting A TV Network | Page 16 | The Boneyard

As Predicted By Anyone With A Brain, The ACC Is NOT Getting A TV Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The SEC Presidents voted on conference expansion and the Ole Miss President was the Chair of the committee when the SEC expanded in the early 90's. I do doubt that academics means as much to the SEC in the mix that makes a desirable target.

If you can't tell, I am one of the FSU guys that believe that the appropriate mix for a target has changed with the changing football and sports environment.

I would love to ditch the weak tea sippers who do not have what it takes to be a competitive football program so that FSU would have a better schedule. More teams like Miami and VT...fewer like UNC, Duke, GT, Virginia. Thankfully Maryland (2-20 against FSU) is gone.

I would like North Carolina to be better competition...out of 18 matches with FSU, they have won two.

I would like Duke to go away in football (0-19 Against FSU).

Georgia Tech is 2-13 against FSU in the ACC and Virginia 3-14, Wake is 4-18.

Hell...let's talk academics...

Reaction Score
It is abitrary. Yes, you are making my point, or at least see it. For National Universities, the Gap between no 1 and no 25 is huge. The gap between 25 and say 75 is large. Between 50 and 200 is not so large. There is one, but not so much. It is not linear, and trying to split hairs between someone ranked 65 and 165 is a waste of time. There is not much difference. There is a difference between 25 and 165, and there is a huge difference between 1 and 165. There are posters here telling me how wonderful schools ranked 65 are. 65? Are you kidding me?

In athletics, we select 25 to recognize. I thought I was being generous at 50. And the ACC does recognize its count of universities in the Top 50. They promote in on the ACCIAC website. It is 8, which is more than any other athletic conference than the Ivy League who also has 8. Their 8 are in the Top 25.

So all of this bruhaha about Louisville's academics and the ACC taking an academics dog is nonsense if the alternative is another school past 50. It if is compared to the ACC passing on Yale to take Louisville over academics, that would be different. I could see the complaint then.

I'm not making your point. You keep talking about the number 50. As I said before, I don't know if there is a number, but if there is it's a lot lower than 50. Looks like you picked 50 because you think it makes the ACC look good. It's really irrelevant.

Reaction Score
The SEC Presidents voted on conference expansion and the Ole Miss President was the Chair of the committee when the SEC expanded in the early 90's. I do doubt that academics means as much to the SEC in the mix that makes a desirable target.

If you can't tell, I am one of the FSU guys that believe that the appropriate mix for a target has changed with the changing football and sports environment.

I would love to ditch the weak tea sippers who do not have what it takes to be a competitive football program so that FSU would have a better schedule. More teams like Miami and VT...fewer like UNC, Duke, GT, Virginia. Thankfully Maryland (2-20 against FSU) is gone.

I would like North Carolina to be better competition...out of 18 matches with FSU, they have won two.

Okay, so I guess you believe that FSU made a mistake in joining the ACC and should have joined the SEC. Perhaps Louisville can improve on Maryland's record and go say 4-18 against FSU. Ironically, I think the SEC improved with academics when they added Texas A&M and Missouri. And it seems like Maryland tried to do FSU a favor when they voted against expansion and FSU should have purposely lost to Maryland yesterday.

Seriously, I think FSU made the right move in joining the ACC. If they want to improve their strength of schedule, they could beef up their OOC by not scheduling games against the Citadel, holding off on playing Florida until they get back to snuff, and forgo playing ND when they become mediocre again.

The other option is to become independent in football, and perhaps other sports in case the ACC or some other conference doesn't cut a similar deal that ND has. It looks like the train to the SEC has left the station for good.

Reaction Score
Okay, so I guess you believe that FSU made a mistake in joining the ACC and should have joined the SEC. Perhaps Louisville can improve on Maryland's record and go say 4-18 against FSU. Ironically, I think the SEC improved with academics when they added Texas A&M and Missouri. And it seems like Maryland tried to do FSU a favor when they voted against expansion and FSU should have purposely lost to Maryland yesterday.

Seriously, I think FSU made the right move in joining the ACC. If they want to improve their strength of schedule, they could beef up their OOC by not scheduling games against the Citadel, holding off on playing Florida until they get back to snuff, and forgo playing ND when they become mediocre again.

The other option is to become independent in football, and perhaps other sports in case the ACC or some other conference doesn't cut a similar deal that ND has. It looks like the train to the SEC has left the station for good.

Yep...I, like many FSU fans, believe that Bob Goin hijacked FSU to the ACC as we were ready to go to the SEC.

As football fans, we like the SEC atmosphere. Good gameFlorida and Miami have been our rivals for 50+ years and we did not develop an ACC rivalry...only now, is Clemson vs FSU becoming a rivalry.

Reaction Score
You will not find any official ACC take on WVU....most of what is bandied about is internet speculation that, over time and multiple repeats, becomes fact.

Very true.

I have no doubt that WVU had some problems with support from within the ACC....the Eers were outside of the geographic parameters of the original 1953 ACC.

Yeah, but in the 1960s, they were a strong candidate to join. Duke had to play a basketball game in Morgantown in that time, and, had trouble getting to the arena. WVU beat them, and, Duke HC Vic Bubas swore up and down that Duke would NEVER play there again, and, led a revolt against adding them in that decade. Believe it or not, they had UNC's support to join both of those times.

If FSU had problems with getting votes from the tea sippers, I'd assume that WVU would have had even more of a problem.

It was trouble with the folks at the universities themselves, not the general fanbases. WVU had support in the early days, and, FSU clearly had it when it was rumored they might get an invite.

Reaction Score

At least UNC is trying with Coach Fedora. If he is able to build a winner, he will for sure leave for a better job in either the SEC or Big 12. I would not blame him for that. Its the new hire that the University would have to make to see if they're really serious about being competitive long term.

Reaction Score
Fedora can build a good program if the school supports him...I like him as a coach. UNC is a program that should be better...great resources, great recruiting area, but maybe alack of will and focus.

Reaction Score
Fedora can build a good program if the school supports him...I like him as a coach. UNC is a program that should be better...great resources, great recruiting area, but maybe alack of will and focus.

So far, he has the support of the administration, and, the faculty. His kids are staying out of trouble (as far as I know), and, he is recruiting well. I hope he can get it done. The league needs it.

Reaction Score
Looks like digital on-demand old action ? Nothing live? How much does the individual school get dollarswise ? If it was a gamechanger it would have received more publicity.

Reaction Score
Looks like digital on-demand old action ? Nothing live? How much does the individual school get dollarswise ? If it was a gamechanger it would have received more publicity.

Nicky there is nothing to report about an ACCN. Thats why there has been no publicity. All that story pertains to is the ACC's digital network is now available on Apple TV. Its something we already have. Mostly for FB and BB highlights, player and coach interviews, and, a few Olympic sport broadcasts.

Any ACCN, if it ever comes to fruition, is still 2-3 years away at a minimum, IMHO.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Nicky there is nothing to report about an ACCN. Thats why there has been no publicity. All that story pertains to is the ACC's digital network is now available on Apple TV. Its something we already have. Mostly for FB and BB highlights, player and coach interviews, and, a few Olympic sport broadcasts.

Any ACCN, if it ever comes to fruition, is still 2-3 years away at a minimum, IMHO.

I agree with this. There will be a mass media push once it's announce. You will hear it before in the back channels as well.

Reaction Score
I'm not making your point. You keep talking about the number 50. As I said before, I don't know if there is a number, but if there is it's a lot lower than 50. Looks like you picked 50 because you think it makes the ACC look good. It's really irrelevant.

We could go with the Top 25 if you like. Or Top 30. I actually like 50 because you incorporate the country's best public universities adding a good cross section. If you cut it off at 25, you don't capture the Public Ivy's if you will or very few of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We could go with the Top 25 if you like. Or Top 30. I actually like 50 because you incorporate the country's best public universities adding a good cross section. If you cut it off at 25, you don't capture the Public Ivy's if you will or very few of them.

Here's my list of the publics just for you, and it's based on Carnegie classes (every school in first 5 classes is considered a top class university by Carnegie) and NRC (I divided the classes according to rankings by unit [ie. school] inside each university):

Class #1:
Cal-Berkeley
UCLA
Virginia
Michigan
UC San Diego

Class #2:
North Carolina
Wisconsin
Georgia Tech
Illinois
Cal-Irvine
Cal-Davis

Class #3:
Penn State
Cal-Santa Barbara
Texas

Class #4:
Ohio State
Washington
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Florida
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Binghamton
Minnesota
Michigan St.
Indiana
Colorado

Class #5:
Iowa
Texas A&M
Connecticut
Georgia
Purdue
Virginia Tech
SUNY-Stony Brook

Class #6:
Cal-Riverside
Cal-Santa Cruz
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Missouri
UMass
U. Illinois-Chicago

Class #7:
Florida St.
Arizona
Oregon
Tennessee
NC State
Oklahoma St.
SUNY-Albany
Cincinnati

Class #8 (State schools with little support that you wouldn't put in the same category as the above tier):
Maine
Arizona St.
Kentucky
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
Temple
USF
UCF
South Carolina
Clemson
Alabama
Auburn
Iowa St.
Rhode Island
Mississippi st.
Ole Miss
Texas Tech
Colorado St.
Utah
Arkansas
Oregon St.
Washington St.
Kansas St.
LSU
George Mason
West Virginia
Nevada
New Mexico
etc.

These differ considerably from whatever nonsense USNWR comes up with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL...

You do know that Carnegie does not rank institutions but provides a standard classification used by many. US News uses the Carnegie Classification system to determine types of institutions.

It is difficult to compare apples and oranges...an institution heavy in research vs an institution heavily dedicated to turning out teachers, social workers and family physicians (rather then having researcg hospitals, say).

Reaction Score
I agree with this. There will be a mass media push once it's announce. You will hear it before in the back channels as well.

I don't know. Swofford is pretty good at keeping quiet about the league's plans when he needs to be. He'd want to do something like that up pretty big.

Reaction Score
Various schools have different strengths in different areas....FSU prints in their catalog:

Ranking among the nation's top twenty-five public universities are programs in Atmospheric Sciences, Business, Chemistry, Creative Writing, Criminology, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Higher Education, Information, Law, Marketing, Meteorology, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration and Policy, Social Work, Sociology, Spanish, Statistics, and Urban and Regional Planning.

Reaction Score
If you have comprehensive rankings please link?

What exactly are you asking for? NRC rankings?

I recognize the ones you listed as USNWR because several of the programs are so specific that they would never be ranked by NRC. For instance, why would anyone rank a creative writing program? Anyhow, NRC rates graduate programs here: http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/Resdoc/

Reaction Score
Uh huh..research oriented...aimed at research institutions....public institutions that focus on humanities, law, education, etc..and that have a family practice med school will not score in that index...

Real bias in indexes if you askme.

Reaction Score
Uh huh..research oriented...aimed at research institutions....public institutions that focus on humanities, law, education, etc..and that have a family practice med school will not score in that index...

Real bias in indexes if you askme.

The most knowledgeable faculty are at research institutions. Research institutions have better faculty. More money, more support, more student interaction, lower teaching load, more time devoted to students.

If you dismiss all of this as inherent bias, then of course U. Virginia isn't better than Clemson. But for many people, all these things are important.

Reaction Score
Creative writing? Iowa has got to hang her hat on something.

The most knowledgeable faculty are at research institutions. Research institutions have better faculty. More money, more support, more student interaction, lower teaching load, more time devoted to students.

If you dismiss all of this as inherent bias, then of course U. Virginia isn't better than Clemson. But for many people, all these things are important.

Not always but a lot of top researcher Profs think of undergraduate education as a PITA chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom