As always, take it for what it is worth | Page 3 | The Boneyard

As always, take it for what it is worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what I know, the Tennessee Tuxedo poster was a troll attempt by someone who took snippets of articles and spun a little story of his(her) own. I wouldn't put much stock into it. Bear in mind that may be a blessing in disguise, because the AAC could become something special within the next several years. The BB will be good and the FB schools are all rising stars. I think it will be a nice conference moving forward.

GG

Reaction Score
From what I know, the Tennessee Tuxedo poster was a troll attempt by someone who took snippets of articles and spun a little story of his(her) own. I wouldn't put much stock into it. Bear in mind that may be a blessing in disguise, because the AAC could become something special within the next several years. The BB will be good and the FB schools are all rising stars. I think it will be a nice conference moving forward.

And how do you know this?

Reaction Score

Instead of telling us you have knowledge that exposes the guy as a troll, why not articulate that information thereby giving each of us the opportunity to arrive at our own conclusion? Otherwise, the guy with 7 posts chock-a-block with preposterous notions might sound a tad trollish.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

A troll calling a troll a troll.....

Reaction Score
If the B1G is looking to move from 14 to 16 members between now and when their current media (not just TV anymore) contract expires, I would expect that UConn has been evaluated by the B1G. Not to do so would be a poor business decision and the one thing that the B1G is focused on is running their business.

Why

The B1G failed to further expand into the Southeast when the ACC put a GoR in place. The XII will stick together as long as Texas wants it to (I personally believe that Texas or WV will be the first to mount a legal challenge to the GoR). Thus, the only schools that the B1G can look at are from the American, the Mountain West, the SEC, or independents.

· American: Maybe – Connecticut; No – Cincinnati (not AAU, Ohio St), Houston & SMU (not AAU, B1G will go to TX for Texas, not anyone else), Memphis (Louisville is #160, Memphis isn’t even rated), USF & UCF (not AAU, B1G will go to FL for Florida St & maybe Miami, not anyone else), Temple (not AAU, Penn St), East Carolina (see TX & FL schools, B1G will go to NC for UNC and maybe Duke, no one else), Tulane (AAU, limited sports value, not contiguous), Tulsa (not AAU [but US news #83?] and private, small market), and Navy (athletics are not on the same age as P5).

· Mountain West – Non AAU schools only Colorado State borders a B1G state and it does not provide enough value to override the negatives. All others are in XII or PAC territory (and I do not believe that the B1G will poach from the PAC, too much history there)

· Independents: Maybe – ND, will only go B1G as a last resort, i.e. ACC implodes; No – BYU (smaller version of ND with the same issues and less value; Army & Air Force – Same as Navy above.

While I do not believe that AAU, contiguous states, and state flagship universities are not set in stone yes/no factors for the B1G; the value of potential member in the B1G must heavily outweigh if these two issues are negative. Of all of the schools who do not meet both standards, I only believe that ND, Oklahoma (especially if tied to Texas and not tied to Oklahoma State), and Florida State would get into the B1G ‘automatically.’ UConn is more of a borderline case; but, one that is bolstered by the fact that it is a state flagship, is a brand name basketball program, and has stated goal to get to AAU status and that while not contiguous with a B1G state, it’s only 175 miles between Rutgers and UConn and they both share the NYC DMA.

Of course, if UNC (B1G or SEC) or Texas (PAC, SEC, B1G) decide to bolt, all bets are off.

Reaction Score
mikeo33 is a Pitt fan, based on posts at CSNbbs boards.

Reaction Score
Hobo: What exactly is... is your persuasion on the B1G, since you brought him up?

The Boy: Well, I... I want to believe... but...

Hobo: But you don't want to be bamboozled. You don't want to be led down the primrose path! You don't want to be conned or duped. Have the wool pulled over your eyes. Hoodwinked! You don't want to be taken for a ride. Railroaded!

Hobo: Seeing is believing. Am I right?

Reaction Score
Another post by our friend. I have absolutely no idea if there is any truth to it.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=642686&page=53[/quote] ]

Geez - he really went out on a limb there.... it's common knowledge there are plans for a new on campus rink in the works.

>>My friend, who connected me to this site, has egged me on to give proof of what I said last week to be true of Big Ten and the University of Connecticut now in the process of having advanced talks with the growing possibility of the University of Connecticut receiving an invite to the Big Ten in the date range of February, March of 2014. I’m pretty sure I have found a way to give proof to the readers of this site without making myself more exposed.

In the next month, in 4 weeks, you will hear public statements out of the President’s office, not just out of the Athletic Department, which will describe advanced financial plans of the University of Connecticut building a new On-Campus Ice Arena for the Men’s and Women’s University of Connecticut Hockey teams.

The University of Connecticut is working off of Big Ten instructions on how to maximize their value to gain entrance into the Big Ten conference. The Big Ten Hockey league currently has 6 teams and will be played on BTN starting this October. There will be double headers played every Friday night during the winter season. The Big Ten Hockey league is projected to be very profitable and the University of Connecticut can add value to this new league. The University of Connecticut Women’s Hockey Team, and the University of Connecticut commitment to this program, has added tremendous value to the University of Connecticut brand in front of the eyes of Big Ten officials, especially to the University of Minnesota, which is a very important step in this process. The Big Ten, besides adding the University of Connecticut in all sports, is interested in adding another partial member for “Hockey Only” from Hockey East to create an 8 team Big Ten Hockey League. These 2 new additions, University of Connecticut, plus a "Hockey Only" university, will add much needed content and value to the BTN network.
The University of Connecticut is working on adding value to their brand, working on items within their control, and is showing a commitment of growth to the Big Ten.

To answer the question of where is the proof, you will have it in new public statements in regards to advance financial plan in the building of a new On-Campus Ice Arena for the Men’s and Women’s University of Connecticut hockey teams. This investment is secured, and is now seen as a vital investment for the University of Connecticut going forward.

I don't think I can add any more information nor detail, but most importantly I will not need to in 4 weeks. You can now shut down my membership to this site if needed. Thank you.<<

Reaction Score
A few thoughts on the hockey angle :

1)Even if the Hockey team does get off that ground that does not mean an offer has been extended
2)Big Ten has already passed on numerous overtures for Hockey-only membership. Just about every single member of the newly formed NCHC + ND has wanted in and was rebuffed, all of which have better hockey pedigree than a newly formed D-1 program.
3)Big Ten doesn't need to beef up Women's hockey - not a revenue sport and they have won 8 of the past(only) 13 NCAA championships.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten Hockey league currently has 6 teams and will be played on BTN starting this October. The Big Ten, besides adding the University of Connecticut in all sports, is interested in adding another partial member for “Hockey Only” from Hockey East to create an 8 team Big Ten Hockey League. These 2 new additions, University of Connecticut, plus a "Hockey Only" university, will add much needed content and value to the BTN network.

I agree that UConn’s hockey arena plans have to go forward regardless of what happens with the B1G because the program is dead if it has to play at the XL Center for the long-term. They need to be on-campus.

That said, there may be a threat of truth here about B1G Hockey. Right now they have 6 schools (Minn, Wisc, Mich, Mich St, Ohio St, Penn St). They need 8 for playoffs. UConn can be #7; but doesn’t add an instant bag. When the B1G added Lacrosse, they got that bang by offering a lacrosse only affiliation to Johns Hopkins, which happens to AAU, a lacrosse power, and not interested in football or other B1G sports. That immediately may B1G lacrosse a power. Imagine if B1G went after another AAU school as a hockey only affiliate, say Boston U? That immediately gives the B1G 5 of the 10 programs with the most championships, would allow a ’new’ program like UConn time to develop, and really ticks off Hockey East (the ACC’s frozen cousin) and ND. I can see that working.

Nebraska, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Maryland could be other B1G to add hockey down the road.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/201...pansion-nebraska-has-home-if-it-wants-hockey/

Reaction Score
And he added this:

TennesseeTuxedo
buddy_offline.gif
Water Engineer
waterengineer.gif

I Root For: Tennessee
For the Big Ten officials the renovation of the old Ice Arena will not be satisfactory. The new Ice Arena needs to be accommodating to the BTN, needs a VIP section, and it needs to house more than 6,000 in the stands for fans because of the high travel rate of fans from visiting schools such as Wisconsin, Michigan and especially Minnesota.

There will be no more talk of renovation, only talk of a new on-campus arena.

The numbers have been crunched with regard to the University of Connecticut in all aspects, now it's down to what added value can the University of Connecticut bring to the Big Ten which is unique only to the University of Connecticut vs. other Big Ten options in expansion. The President of the University of Connecticut is working on this project and has seen some good daylight. Investment in this new arena will only happen when the investment is secured, and the security in this matter is the Big Ten Hockey League and the future money it will bring to the University of Connecticut. An announcement of a advance financial plan does not make the invite a 100% sure thing, but this announcement is only going to happen because of the advance talks that is happening between the 2 parties, the Big Ten and the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by playoffs? The minimum for an autobid to the NCAA tourney is 6 and the Big Ten will be holding a conference tournament with the current membership setup as well.

Big Ten already has 4 of the Top 10 in its 6 member league, including #1, #4, #7, #8...not sure how adding another Top 10 team will change perceptions one way or another.

Reaction Score
Was just napping and had one of the weirdest dreams where I won a woman, something like that (it's a dream, right?), from someone associated with the B1G (commissioner or whatever, can't remember) and I ask for a B1G invite for UConn instead. This is getting out of hand.

pj

Reaction Score
If TennesseTuxedo does have an inside connection at UConn, he or they should just shut up. There is no value in persuading some bulletin board audience, and loose lips could ruin a deal.

If he doesn't, he should also shut up.

Reaction Score
And he added this:

TennesseeTuxedo
buddy_offline.gif
Water Engineer
waterengineer.gif

I Root For: Tennessee
For the Big Ten officials the renovation of the old Ice Arena will not be satisfactory. The new Ice Arena needs to be accommodating to the BTN, needs a VIP section, and it needs to house more than 6,000 in the stands for fans because of the high travel rate of fans from visiting schools such as Wisconsin, Michigan and especially Minnesota.

There will be no more talk of renovation, only talk of a new on-campus arena.

The numbers have been crunched with regard to the University of Connecticut in all aspects, now it's down to what added value can the University of Connecticut bring to the Big Ten which is unique only to the University of Connecticut vs. other Big Ten options in expansion. The President of the University of Connecticut is working on this project and has seen some good daylight. Investment in this new arena will only happen when the investment is secured, and the security in this matter is the Big Ten Hockey League and the future money it will bring to the University of Connecticut. An announcement of a advance financial plan does not make the invite a 100% sure thing, but this announcement is only going to happen because of the advance talks that is happening between the 2 parties, the Big Ten and the University of Connecticut.

That's nice... He's recycling known facts packaged for his argument. Minimum seating requirement for HE is 5k so he picked 6k w/ VIP section.

Reaction Score
I agree that UConn’s hockey arena plans have to go forward regardless of what happens with the B1G because the program is dead if it has to play at the XL Center for the long-term. They need to be on-campus.

That said, there may be a threat of truth here about B1G Hockey. Right now they have 6 schools (Minn, Wisc, Mich, Mich St, Ohio St, Penn St). They need 8 for playoffs. UConn can be #7; but doesn’t add an instant bag. When the B1G added Lacrosse, they got that bang by offering a lacrosse only affiliation to Johns Hopkins, which happens to AAU, a lacrosse power, and not interested in football or other B1G sports. That immediately may B1G lacrosse a power. Imagine if B1G went after another AAU school as a hockey only affiliate, say Boston U? That immediately gives the B1G 5 of the 10 programs with the most championships, would allow a ’new’ program like UConn time to develop, and really ticks off Hockey East (the ACC’s frozen cousin) and ND. I can see that working.

Nebraska, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Maryland could be other B1G to add hockey down the road.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/201...pansion-nebraska-has-home-if-it-wants-hockey/
With all due respect........B.U. or any other H.E. school will not be leaving for BIG. I had to laugh when I read a thread from another board declaring it was Merrimack. H.E. has a new T.V. deal and with the addition of N.D. along with broader T.V. exposure things are pretty much set. The four Boston schools loath each other, but do respect each others programs. It is unique to college athletics to have four schools so close to each other playing a division one sport ala Beanpot and regular season. Will never happen, this is New England's hockey conference and the history and rivalries, and contained cost for travel make H.E. untouchable. Welcome to the league in 2014-2015 U Conn!, has been a long time coming... and long overdue as the last N.E. state to join and the final piece of the puzzle so to speak.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, Hockey East will be great for UConn. The B1G would be great too but if we're not moving there in all sports, I'd like to have the local rivalries of Hockey East.

Reaction Score
With all due respect........B.U. or any other H.E. school will not be leaving for BIG. I had to laugh when I read a thread from another board declaring it was Merrimack. H.E. has a new T.V. deal and with the addition of N.D. along with broader T.V. exposure things are pretty much set. The four Boston schools loath each other, but do respect each others programs. It is unique to college athletics to have four schools so close to each other playing a division one sport ala Beanpot and regular season. Will never happen, this is New England's hockey conference and the history and rivalries, and contained cost for travel make H.E. untouchable. Welcome to the league in 2014-2015 U Conn!, has been a long time coming... and long overdue as the last N.E. state to join and the final piece of the puzzle so to speak.

I agree that it is unlikely; but, the B1G has a lot of money. When the B1G hockey league starts-up, each school will get an EXTRA $2 million from the B1G TV Network in the first year to help with the ‘loss’ of prior conference rivals.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2013/4/29/4283628/big-ten-hockey-payout-tv-contract

In 2012 (before B1G Hockey), BU ranked 7th in the nation in hockey revenue at $2.9 million. The only schools above the $4 million mark are all in the B1G (Minn, Wisc, Mich). BC, Colorado College, and North Dakota are above $3 million. BU should be concerned how they are going to make-up the difference going forward. The B1G could potentially help.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/4/12/2942848/comparing-ncaa-college-hockey-revenues-for-2010

Of course, revenue does not always yield success, just as Yale hockey.

Reaction Score
(Today 11:14 AM)SeaBlue Wrote: OK, I'm coming out of self-imposed exile for this one. TerryD -- I promise to let you say whatever you like about your alma mater. :)
"The University of Connecticut is working off of Big Ten instructions on how to maximize their value to gain entrance into the Big Ten conference. "​
Tuxedo -- This is not how the Big Ten generally works. It was suggested often that Rutgers could have helped their cause by ramping up hockey, but they chose not to do so and obviously it worked out anyway. Now, what do we really know about how things work? Nothing. But, this would be very unusual for Delany to offer even the slightest hint in the form of "instructions" and thus implying a commitment from the Big Ten. No quid pro quo here.​
As for who might be talking to whom, you failed to mention the connection between UConn and the Big Ten. Perhaps that is to your credit as there is some low hanging fruit out there available for this discussion. As for the Hockey East thing, that's probably very speculative as they just got a TV deal done themselves. Got anything more to chew on?​

TennesseeTuxedo:
I don't know anything in regards to low hanging fruit, or how the Big Ten does things, or have done them in the past. What I do know is that the University of Connecticut and the Big Ten are in advance talks, those were the exact words used to describe the talks, and that an announcement of a plan to build a new Ice Arena On-Campus is part of the process being used by the President of the University of Connecticut to help forward an invite to the Big Ten, per Big Ten instructions.

Maybe the word "instructions" is the wrong word to use, but it was the word used told me to describe what is currently happening in this process.

Reaction Score
Let's just say HFD is all of these clowns and be done with it. I'm only half kidding.

Reaction Score
Yes, Hockey East will be great for UConn. The B1G would be great too but if we're not moving there in all sports, I'd like to have the local rivalries of Hockey East.
Trust me, if Delany won't budge with Notre Dame coming to the B1G without football, why would he budge on UConn's hockey program? The BTN needs content to fill the 24 hour network. B1G is taking a gamble on starting a new hockey league in the first place. If the B1G has a sport they support, all of the B1G schools have to join in if they field a D1 team. If UConn enters the B1G, there is no way Delany, the university presidents, athletic directors or BTN would allow UConn to head to a major competitor in Hockey East. It's either all in or no invite. Just sayin.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts on the hockey angle :

1)Even if the Hockey team does get off that ground that does not mean an offer has been extended
2)Big Ten has already passed on numerous overtures for Hockey-only membership. Just about every single member of the newly formed NCHC + ND has wanted in and was rebuffed, all of which have better hockey pedigree than a newly formed D-1 program.
3)Big Ten doesn't need to beef up Women's hockey - not a revenue sport and they have won 8 of the past(only) 13 NCAA championships.

But, how many D1 Hockey programs that asked for an affiliation with B1G hockey were 1) AAU, 2) contiguous (possible bigger concerns with hockey due to travel schedules), and 3) would have an instant impact? The only non-AAU program I can see is ND and a) there is a lot of bad history between the two and b) there appears to be conflicting stories as to who asked who first, resulting in c) my belief that the B1G wants ND ‘all or nothing.’ Looking at the AAU list in light of B1G allowing an affiliation with Johns Hopkins in lacrosse, makes Boston U stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom