As always, take it for what it is worth | The Boneyard

As always, take it for what it is worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
" (08-08-2013 03:02 PM)TennesseeTuxedo Wrote:
I'm not going to go into how I received this information. And I have no way of convincing any of you that what I'm about to tell you is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God.

This will be my first and last comment on this site unless more information of this event happening falls in my lap. But I'm guessing that it wont due to the peculiar nature of how this information got to me in the first place.

Big Ten officials have talked with University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst within the last week with advance talks of having the University of Connecticut join the Big Ten conference, with the timetable of entrance currently dependent on extenuating circumstances."

TennesseeTuxedo is my new BFF.

Reaction Score
Somebody needs to pin post #389!! I'm pulling a "Costanza" and going out on top after reading that one! Thanks Tennessee Tuxedo, you just made my weekend whether there is truth to that post of not. C'mon Susan!!!!!!!

GG

Reaction Score
If true, and that is obviously a big if, my concern is the extenuating circumstances referenced in the post. I assume that the Big Ten would add more than one school. Is any potential addition contingent on another school making a move? Who knows. But if that is the case, this could take a while.

Reaction Score
If true, and that is obviously a big if, my concern is the extenuating circumstances referenced in the post. I assume that the Big Ten would add more than one school. Is any potential addition contingent on another school making a move? Who knows. But if that is the case, this could take a while.
Everybody should be in the seats early for the Michigan game for the announcement of Uconn to the B1G :rolleyes:

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Extenuating circumstances:
1. AAU - moving in that direction
2. increasing endowment - just hired top fundraiser from Emory
3. increasing research dollars - working on it, see 1 above
4. stadium expansion - will find a way and $ if the offer is accurate
5. HFD MUST recant publicly and recite "Warde is the best AD in the world" from the capitol steps

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

My guess at extenuating circumstances:

We need to obtain AAU membership.

The B1G needs to secure another (legitimate) school to join with us

We need to demonstrate that our football program can at least be somewhat competitive in their conference.

GG

Reaction Score
My guess at extenuating circumstances:

We need to obtain AAU membership.

The B1G needs to secure another (legitimate) school to join with us

We need to demonstrate that our football program can at least be somewhat competitive in their conference.

#3 above concerns me.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I just don't see us being in the B1G with a 40,000-seat stadium. I think we would have to make an ironclad commitment to go to at least 55,000 and we would have to show that we could fill the seats. There may be other extenuating circumstances, and the whole idea that we are in line to go to the B1G may be unmitigated malarkey, but I think the stadium is a big issue if we are under consideration. In any event, if we are chosen for the B1G, I will buy a bottle of the finest champagne, drink a toast of celebration, and keep my neighbors awake all night with shouts of joy!

Reaction Score
I love how everyone says these guys are crackpot hillbilly morons...until they say something positive for us.

My theory is it is one of us. Look at his status; just joined, first post. Tries to cover his tracks but very suspect at best. Fess up somebody.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I just don't see us being in the B1G with a 40,000-seat stadium. I think we would have to make an ironclad commitment to go to at least 55,000 and we would have to show that we could fill the seats. There may be other extenuating circumstances, and the whole idea that we are in line to go to the B1G may be unmitigated malarkey, but I think the stadium is a big issue if we are under consideration. In any event, if we are chosen for the B1G, I will buy a bottle of the finest champagne, drink a toast of celebration, and keep my neighbors awake all night with shouts of joy!

The Rent was built for expansion. Expanding to 55K on the stadium could normally be done between December and August, but considering they can't do a scoreboard rebuild in two months, it may be a two-step process.

Reaction Score
He only has one post and just registered for the site.

I want to believe!

Reaction Score

This would actually be the least of my concerns if I were Manuel. The stadium cost $93 million a decade ago. The footprint is there to add seats, maybe the foundation is already there too, and so let's say it takes $50 million to get that done. The prospect of $30 million more in TV money a year plus, say, 8,000 more UConn fans per game because of better schedules and another 2,000 fans per game because of rival fans, and you have 45,000 attending a game.

Reaction Score

The stadium is the least of our problems... increased revenue solves a lot of problems. In theory, that is something that the State/UConn can control with guarantees of admission. AAU and suitable co-entrant is not.

Reaction Score
I love this *. It is just too funny......

We may very well end up in the BiG someday. But, that post is not relevant to anything.

Reaction Score
Notice the last sentence in this article:

Pinstripe Bowl deal helps grow Big Ten brand
Written by Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer

The agreement with the Pinstripe Bowl pushes the Big Ten deeper into the massive New York metropolitan area, the world’s biggest media market. And that’s a big deal in the Big Ten’s quest to grow its brand, revenue and reach across an ever-competitive conference landscape. This toehold in the mega New York area sets the Big Ten apart from every other major conference. And, in the end, that eventually could help the league from a competitive standpoint—particularly in recruiting.
The league took its first step toward penetrating the New York market by adding near-by Rutgers, which will join in 2014. (Maryland also will join that year). The Big Ten also announced earlier that it will open an office in New York to further enhance its presence in Gotham.
Now, what type of basketball presence will the Big Ten have in New York? Just wondering.

http://btn.com/2013/06/03/dienhart-pinstripe-bowl-deal-helps-grow-big-ten-brand/

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
re: the btn.com article: that is a nice last sentence... but it's a question. The answer to the question might be just scheduling regular season B1G games in NYC. Which raises another question - would adding UConn help with that?

As far as the TennesseeTuxedo post - I want to believe, but I also want to hear the same rumor from a more reputable source.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Without reading the thread, it's probably a UConn fan trolling all the dbags on that board who are newly-hatched experts on why UConn will never join a power conference.

Reaction Score
This looks like a total troll from a UConn fan. First post. Knew Herbst's full name. Letting everyone know they will not stick around to defend the post. I'll be happy if its true but I see know more credibility (and probably less) than the WVU guys. I say it's HFD again.

Reaction Score
HFD's first alias must have been blocked.

Pretty much...

FromTheInside
buddy_offline.gif

Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads