Arms Race | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Arms Race

Reaction Score
Well, in UConn students' defense, it is a considerably longer walk to Rentschler Field.

For what it's worth Rutgers stadium is really more "adjacent to campus" than "on campus". Still a much better situation than ours, though.
I thought we were fantasizing about UConn stadium on campus?

Busch/Livingston houses far more students than the old Queens campus for Rutgers, and is on the same side of the river as FB Stadium..

Reaction Score
Being a Penn State fan is like being in a cult, and I say that with respect not withstanding the collateral issues with Paterno and Sandusky.
This is Rutgers or Pitt type talk. They use it as a go to insult when their sub-par fandom is called into question. Not sure why UConn Fans would buy into that losing mentality as you seem to parallel Penn State in many ways as a strong public school with a diverse and successful AD. Both schools have strong Ag backgrounds as well.

Their fans don't understand what it means to be passionate about sports because they have nothing to be passionate about. They are bad to middling at just about everything. Only a few of them truly care, and even that group may be more passionate about their "rival" losing than their teams winning.

Reactions: pj

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Being a Penn State fan is like being in a cult, and I say that with respect not withstanding the collateral issues with Paterno and Sandusky.
My father had a bumper sticker he put in our garage that said "If God wasn't a Penn State fan, why is the sky Blue and White?" If that doesn't show the devotion to this fandom, I don't know what does.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is Rutgers or Pitt type talk. They use it as a go to insult when their sub-par fandom is called into question. Not sure why UConn Fans would buy into that losing mentality as you seem to parallel Penn State in many ways as a strong public school with a diverse and successful AD. Both schools have strong Ag backgrounds as well.

Their fans don't understand what it means to be passionate about sports because they have nothing to be passionate about. They are bad to middling at just about everything. Only a few of them truly care, and even that group may be more passionate about their "rival" losing than their teams winning.
Go back and reread my post. Not sure what triggered you so that you missed "and I say that with respect."

CL82

Reaction Score
I thought we were fantasizing about UConn stadium on campus?

Busch/Livingston houses far more students than the old Queens campus for Rutgers, and is on the same side of the river as FB Stadium..
Just making the point that if the campus was on stadium you would see a better student turnout. Having to queue up and get on buses and drive to East Hartford they have to queue up and get on buses to come back is a disincentive to our students to attend games.

So when you compare our student turnout versus a school with an on campus (or Rutgers case campus-adjacent) stadium it's not an apples to apples comparison.

(Also keep in mind that we are going to need to reestablish the tradition of students attending games, even when we are on campus, because it's been over a decade since there's been football in Storrs. Being a fan, like many other things is a learned behavior that builds on itself over time.)

Reaction Score
While I’ve never been inside the PSU stadium, I’ve been by it and thought it dominated the surrounding landscape, not in a nice way.
I happened to be in the area once for work and saw it. Couldn't describe it any better than that.

CL82

Reaction Score
I happened to be in the area once for work and saw it. Couldn't describe it any better than that..
I had to laugh when I read the "dominated the surrounding landscape" line. 100,000 seat football stadiums aren't exactly subtle. It is in the middle of their athletic campus and it is surrounded by parking. It's not like it's located on their equivalent of Horsebarn Hill.

Kind of a weird take in my view.

Reaction Score
Even if some consultants tell us to spend $200 to $300M on the Rent (which is a conservative estimate) to provide UConn an up to date Power 4 stadium, would you rather put it into an aging complex located 40 minutes or more away from the campus or would you rather spend a bit more and get a complex that students could walk to and could be used for a single university graduation.

It would definitely help recruiting in all field sports except baseball and softball, if the design included those other sports. Men’s and women’s soccer would definitely benefit, field hockey, lacrosse, track & field, graduation festivities, etc.

Reaction Score
The price tag gives an idea how much is involved to turn the Rent into a Power 4 stadium. Much better to build a new stadium in Storrs.
Mansfield will never let it happen. Look at the roads leading to UConn, think Mansfield would approve expanding the roads?

Reaction Score
I think you can keep the area rural and built a stadium. What is required is building into the earth instead of up and adding a classic coliseum design with brick, ivy, proper landscape it with trees instead of stripping everything for ease. You get buy-in from many.

195 doesn’t need to widened. It’s just needs a better traffic flow. Many stadiums are a pain to get to.

If they built it right it could be a real iconic jewel that people would love to play at.

Reaction Score
The tiny town of Mansfield has passed it's verdict. No stadium. Period.

The only way this ever passes the tiny town council is paying off the citizens and the council of Mansfield.

Reaction Score
Ideally you would have a stadium on campus easily accessible to students, however I was under the impression from reading this board that the local townships would shoot down any major construction near campus. My comments were basically comparing the costs of renovating The Rent vs. Beaver Stadium. Theoretically a really nice renovation could be done at The Rent for a fraction of the cost of renovating Beaver Stadium due simply to the size and scope of each project.
I don’t know, but wouldn’t the states power of eminent domain shoot down what local townships say? Maybe building an on campus stadium might even invigorate the local economy. I can see some locals being against it but I also can see many being for it. It definitely would increase property values in local towns around the campus. The only losers would be Rent lovers who complain ad nauseum about the drive to Storrs vs Rentschler Field.

Reaction Score
Mansfield will never let it happen. Look at the roads leading to UConn, think Mansfield would approve expanding the roads?

It’s tough nuggies for Mansfield, the state will do what it wants. You have heard the “power of eminent domain”? If Mansfield wants compensation the state might give it to them, much like the many small towns that were completely displaced when they built 84 & 91, Lake Candlewood, etc. Who said anything about expanding roads anyway, the stadium will be on state owned land, and actually property values outside the campus would definitely see a bump up as would the local economy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It’s tough nuggies for Mansfield, the state will do what it wants. You have heard the “power of eminent domain”? If Mansfield wants compensation the state might give it to them, much like the many small towns that were completely displaced when they built 84 & 91, Lake Candlewood, etc. Who said anything about expanding roads anyway, the stadium will be on state owned land, and actually property values outside the campus would definitely see a bump up as would the local economy.
Yeah, but, the state doesn't exact;y have a track record stepping in to favor increasing revenue activities in Storrs over what could be revenue activities elsewhere in the state (primarily Hartford).

Nothing have ever been stated on this but I would need to see some serious eveidence to the contrary before I will believe that state politicians/CRDA didn't force the school to keep capacity at Toscano at such a small level, as they want the school to be basically required to play a number of hockey games in Hartford. The school has also been basically required (for more than half a century) to play a number of premium basketball games in Hartford.

The city of Hartford views the school as a driver of the entertainment economy. That may never change as the city will need to find some way to build a sustainable encomy outside of UConn sports (it doesn't look like they're even trying) before the school would be free from this obligation.

This is not even taking into account that many in the state (including politicians) aren't fully vested in the idea of UConn having a major football program. For enough movement from state politicians to put a sufficient (~40k seat) stadium on campus (along with the necessary infrastructure upgrades), they would all need a) to be in full support of our football program attempting to compete at the highest level and b) supporting the premise that the only way we truly could is with an on campus stadium and c) believe that an on campus stadium would be a long term economic positive for the state as a whole. It would be an enormous lift. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the stadium is in East Hartford because the Storrs and Mansfield locals had no juice.

Reaction Score
If football becomes a winning program that attracts fans, stadiums (stadia?) will fall from the sky and there’s nothing Mansfield et al will be able to do about it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but, the state doesn't exact;y have a track record stepping in to favor increasing revenue activities in Storrs over what could be revenue activities elsewhere in the state (primarily Hartford).

Nothing have ever been stated on this but I would need to see some serious eveidence to the contrary before I will believe that state politicians/CRDA didn't force the school to keep capacity at Toscano at such a small level, as they want the school to be basically required to play a number of hockey games in Hartford. The school has also been basically required (for more than half a century) to play a number of premium basketball games in Hartford.

The city of Hartford views the school as a driver of the entertainment economy. That may never change as the city will need to find some way to build a sustainable encomy outside of UConn sports (it doesn't look like they're even trying) before the school would be free from this obligation.

This is not even taking into account that many in the state (including politicians) aren't fully vested in the idea of UConn having a major football program. For enough movement from state politicians to put a sufficient (~40k seat) stadium on campus (along with the necessary infrastructure upgrades), they would all need a) to be in full support of our football program attempting to compete at the highest level and b) supporting the premise that the only way we truly could is with an on campus stadium and c) believe that an on campus stadium would be a long term economic positive for the state as a whole. It would be an enormous lift. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it, but I'm not holding my breath.

They’re just trying to save the XL Center, without UConn and no pro sports teams anymore since the Whalers, the XL Center would become a parking garage. I imagine that even if the on campus stadium is built, the state will want one or two home games at the Rent.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The students got their butts on busses and filled their section of the stadium when we were good. Ask RG3.
It ain’t that big an ask. The Rent is easy for us Not living out in East Bumf…(most alumni) and is not obsolete and has not outlived its usefulness.

Reaction Score
The students got their butts on busses and filled their section of the stadium when we were good. Ask RG3.
It ain’t that big an ask. The Rent is easy for us Not living out in East Bumf…(most alumni) and is not obsolete and has not outlived its usefulness.
Had to expand the student section too.

Reaction Score
Even if some consultants tell us to spend $200 to $300M on the Rent (which is a conservative estimate) to provide UConn an up to date Power 4 stadium, would you rather put it into an aging complex located 40 minutes or more away from the campus or would you rather spend a bit more and get a complex that students could walk to and could be used for a single university graduation.

Ok, you got the private funding to do it?

Because there is no way taxpayers are going to spend that kind of money to fund a bad to mediocre team, not in a P4 conference, that would need major infrastructure improvements, and would have vocal local opposition.

Reaction Score
Ok, you got the private funding to do it?

Because there is no way taxpayers are going to spend that kind of money to fund a bad to mediocre team, not in a P4 conference, that would need major infrastructure improvements, and would have vocal local opposition.

Lol. I don’t know what planet you’re from but taxpayers do definitely have to pay their taxes, and realistically have very little say on where that tax revenue goes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It shows how profitable college football can be if done right.

College football has gotten a lot less profitable in the last month with the House settlement. Programs are going through their own overhead with an axe right now. Football has 85 scholarships, roughly 60 that need significant NIL payments, and a huge staff to manage. There are only 7 home games to pay for it.

Basketball plays 30 games a year, with at least 15 home games by the P4 + BE. Against that revenue, there are only 13 scholarships, only 8 or 9 players that receive meaningful NIL, and a small staff.

When the NCAA/P4 needed to settle the House case, it is no coincidence that it had to dip into the basketball revenues to do it. Football may have a lot more total revenue, but that is not the same as profitability.

Reaction Score

Yea. While personally I’d be fine with giving up the convenience of the rent for an on campus stadium if they did it right, given the state of the fan base right now and all the unknowns about college football and our place in it going forward, I’m not sure building an on campus stadium right now is the right choice. Even if they could figure out the money, politics, etc.

CL82

Reaction Score
Why do they have to be improved for six weekends a year? Especially when you remember that this is a football game when people tailgate before and after the game. The answer to any issue, if one actually exist, getting people in and out of stores isn't building a super highway up to the front gate, it's longer tailgate hours.

Reaction Score
Why do they have to be improved for six weekends a year? Especially when you remember that this is a football game when people tailgate before and after the game. The answer to any issue, if one actually exist, getting people in and out of stores isn't building a super highway up to the front gate, it's longer tailgate hours.
I haven’t been to Gampel in awhile but recall a major traffic backup getting to 84. If those roads couldn’t handle 10k people, how is 30k a feasible idea?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom