Arms Race | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Arms Race

Reaction Score
We would all love to see the Rent used for more concerts, events, sports etc . I looked at Foxboro who just hosted a Stones concert last week. The big difference is Foxboro is privately owned and makes economic decisions that boost the venue. The state of CT has many different stakeholders that aren't always in the best interests of fans and taxpayers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We would all love to see the Rent used for more concerts, events, sports etc . I looked at Foxboro who just hosted a Stones concert last week. The big difference is Foxboro is privately owned and makes economic decisions that boost the venue. The state of CT has many different stakeholders that aren't always in the best interests of fans and taxpayers.
No the big problem is the Rent is managed by the quasi-public CDRA, that has somehow managed never to make a profit on even a single venture for decades. It's really a staggering record.

Reaction Score
People complain about traffic leaving Renschler field as well, but as you know well, that's a bigger problem for people rushing out at the end of the third quarter than it is for people who leave after having a beer and a sandwich after the game. People complain about leaving games at Michie stadium at West Point. I've never had an issue, Because I don't struggle to rush out. Instead I'll walk down to the monuments, or often join at y tailgate as a guest of West Point fans. it really doesn't take much time to avoid traffic.

Again, I think the comparison to gamble isn't apples to apples because everyone arrives at practically the same time and everyone leaves at practically the same time.

I can't believe that Storrs CT Is the only place in the world that can't host football games without a limited access highway leading up to the front gate. West Point leverages tailgating, Rutgers leverages smart traffic management techniques, dedicated one direction roads etc. It's eminently "doable" without investing millions in infrastructure for six games a year.

The better question is should we do it, to which my answer is no while Rentschler Field remains a viable alternative and does not need substantial additional investment. That should be true for at least the next 10 years.

Storrs certainly could do it but…

At this point between the rent and playing half our basketball games at xl we’ve conditioned fans to have that convenience factor. So at a time when we are already begging fans to come to football games, telling them to drive further with worse traffic is a tough sell. Staying after for tailgating is certainly more fun than sitting in traffic but it’s still adding to the time commitment factor.

I wish we could go back in time and build on campus. I also think if we ever got back to our peak and the program had some buzz we should be thinking on campus because there certainly are advantages to it. But right now where we’re at I don’t think it would be the right move even if we had the money and could figure out the politics

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Storrs certainly could do it but…

At this point between the rent and playing half our basketball games at xl we’ve conditioned fans to have that convenience factor. So at a time when we are already begging fans to come to football games, telling them to drive further with worse traffic is a tough sell. Staying after for tailgating is certainly more fun than sitting in traffic but it’s still adding to the time commitment factor.

I wish we could go back in time and build on campus. I also think if we ever got back to our peak and the program had some buzz we should be thinking on campus because there certainly are advantages to it. But right now where we’re at I don’t think it would be the right move even if we had the money and could figure out the politics
Fully agree that isn't to make the case for a new stadium coming off a 3–9 year. Football stadiums have a stated life of 30 years, though after 20 years they require large investment. When it comes time to invest a significant amount of money at the Rent, the state should consider whether that money would be better spent in Storrs. That's probably a debate for 2033 though.

I will respectfully suggest that going to a game in the middle of a former airfield might be considered less attractive than going to a game back on campus. You may be right and fans coming from the west of Hartford may be unwilling to travel an extra 30 minutes to go back to campus six times a year, but somehow every other fanbase in college football seems to be able to endure the inconvenience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom