Are we ranked again? | The Boneyard

Are we ranked again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not after beating UCF. If we beat Memphis & Lousiville, then probably.

Reaction Score
It's possible. In the latest edition of the AP poll, we were seventh in "others receiving votes", so we needed probably seven teams ahead of us to lose. UNC, UCLA, Kansas State, Illinois, Gonzaga, and Missouri all lost, and none of those teams were ranked any higher than 21st. Duke (#16) and Oregon (#17) also lost. I'm not sure if those losses are enough to knock them out of the polls entirely, but I'm sure there is a case to be made that UConn, with a win over a good Harvard team, could jump back into the top 25.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Do we care? We're UConn. We don't care until late February.

Pitt and Cincy aren't ranked yet. Both are much higher up the list in RPI, no bad losses for either. I'm surprised Cincy isn't in already - better profile than UConn at this point. Pitt's only loss was by one point to Cincy in one of the ugliest games this century.

Reaction Score
Nah, but if a 4 loss Duke team remains ranked I'll pull my hair out.

Start pulling Boat…….lol

As far as the Huskies, just win. The only thing that's great about being ranked now is because it's easier to see your score on the ESPN site other than that who really cares in January. They had a rough game and nipped a Harvard team without their best player then played very well yesterday but hopefully they're turning the corner!

Reaction Score
No. beating a Harvard team without there best player and beating UCF don't jump us into top 25 imo. Don't really care either. If we beat Memp and Lou we jump into top 25...

Reaction Score
I think there is a shot we could be, especially if Iowa (ranked 20) and Orgeon (ranked 17 with a loss already this week) lose today.

Reaction Score
Along with Kansas State losing (ranked 25), that could be 3 teams dropped from the top 25 tomorrow

Reaction Score
I remember the days in the 70's/early 80's when it was unbelievable to see the Huskies in the "Others with Votes" and then some Top 20 (no 25 then) with Corny and crew……..it was real and fun back then as the underdog.

Now we're UConn and being in the Top 25 isn't exactly exciting until they actually are playing for seeds and spots in the tourney. It's expected to be there now and just sneaking back in is somewhat disappointing so I guess the younger generation still finds this to be important and that's goo. I have no issues with that!!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Do we care? We're UConn. We don't care until late February.

Pitt and Cincy aren't ranked yet. Both are much higher up the list in RPI, no bad losses for either. I'm surprised Cincy isn't in already - better profile than UConn at this point. Pitt's only loss was by one point to Cincy in one of the ugliest games this century.

All true, though I'd much prefer to set Sportacular's CBB default to Top 25 instead of AAC.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Who cares about rankings in January?
Keep winning and things like that take care of themselves.

2 big games next week.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
There's going to be a lot of movement in the polls - particularly at the bottom end this week. This week teams in the AP:
#16 Duke 1-1 with a loss @ Clemson
#17 Oregon 0-2 with losses @ home vs Cal & Stanford
#21 Missouri 1-1 with a loss @ home to Georgia and a narrow 2 point win @ Aurburn
#22 Gonzaga 0-1 with a loss @ Portland
#23 Illinois 0-2 with losses @ #4 Wisconsin (no sin), and @ Northwestern (huge sin)
#25 K State 1-1 with a loss @ #18 Kansas by 26

Don't think we sneak in with 5 teams to jump (didn't look up what those did), but we'll be close - maybe 27th.

Two wins this week and we'll be back into the low 20's, high teens.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
There's going to be a lot of movement in the polls - particularly at the bottom end this week. This week teams in the AP:
#16 Duke 1-1 with a loss @ Clemson
#17 Oregon 0-2 with losses @ home vs Cal & Stanford
#21 Missouri 1-1 with a loss @ home to Georgia and a narrow 2 point win @ Aurburn
#22 Gonzaga 0-1 with a loss @ Portland
#23 Illinois 0-2 with losses @ #4 Wisconsin (no sin), and @ Northwestern (huge sin)
#25 K State 1-1 with a loss @ #18 Kansas by 26

Don't think we sneak in with 5 teams to jump (didn't look up what those did), but we'll be close - maybe 27th.

Two wins this week and we'll be back into the low 20's, high teens.
Maybe not this week...But Cincy is a virtual lock to be ranked this week, and that is the next best thing (a fellow AAC school) aside from us getting into the polls. Hopefully there will be four AAC teams ranked by February.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While I don't care much at this point whether or not UConn makes a top 25 ranking, isn't it odd that we got 26 fewer votes in the USA Today poll this week (9) than we did last week (35)? Wouldn't have the slightest idea how to explain that.

Yeah, Cincy got in. They managed to beat Houston by one on their court. Meantime L'Ville hammered SMU. Still not sure what the quality of this league is other than worse than the league we came from.

Reaction Score
Cincy beat houston by 1. They deserve to be ranked higher than UConn. LVille didn't hammer SMU. It was relatively close till the final minute, and SMU had their center out.

What seems weird to me is that Colorado and even Oregon are ranked ahead of UConn after losing to Washington and Stanford. I know Colorado beat Kansas, but so what? UConn beat Florida.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'd rather stay unranked vs. Memphis and Louisville so we go in as the underdog.

Reaction Score
I'd rather stay unranked vs. Memphis and Louisville so we go in as the underdog.

I would never rather be unranked. Unranked = forgotten, something we've been far too often over the last 4-5 years.

Reaction Score
Coaches poll has Louisville ahead of Memphis even though Memphis beat them on Louisville's court. That makes a lot of sense

caw

Reaction Score
Cincy joins the ranked.

Duke somehow stays ranked.

Spitt also ranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics