Are we ranked again? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are we ranked again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The funniest thing about this weeks other poll...USA Today Coaches...we dropped from 35 votes last week to 8 this week...Harvard gained votes going from 2 to 6. Coaches are obviously half in the bag when filling out rankings Sunday night. Some of them must have thought Harvard beat us. (edit...storrsroars mentioned anomally prior)

Amaker, Boeheim, Floyd and Donahue (BC) are voters....explains alot...lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We've been to two Final Fours over the last 5 years.

I meant 2009-10 onward, where we've so far had one season out of four (pending this one) in which we were ranked for most of the year (granted in that one season we were were in the most important spot in the most important ranking of the year!). A poor finish to this year would make it one in five.

Being ranked is really a prerequisite for being in the media spotlight, and being out of the spotlight harms perception, which is exacerbated by our conference and coaching situation, and may harm recruiting (who wants to play for a school that nobody talks about?).

Reaction Score
I meant 2009-10 onward, where we've so far had one season out of four (pending this one) in which we were ranked for most of the year (granted in that one season we were were in the most important spot in the most important ranking of the year!). A poor finish to this year would make it one in five.

Being ranked is really a prerequisite for being in the media spotlight, and being out of the spotlight harms perception, which is exacerbated by our conference and coaching situation, and may harm recruiting (who wants to play for a school that nobody talks about?).
Curious were there UCONN highlights on SC for the UCF game?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I haven't paid much attention to ESPN's BPI rankings until this season, but UConn does worse there than in RPI. BPI factors in scores and whether you or your opponent is at full strength, e.g. the Harvard win is worth more to RPI than BPI due to a missing Harvard starter. Anyway, looking at BPI is pretty interesting. Wisconsin is 2, Pitt is 4, UConn is in the 30s and well behind LVille (whom we're ahead of in RPI).

I wonder if BPI will be gaining more credence with the selection committee come March. I think it's interesting, comprehensive and probably more accurate than RPI, but right now it's not UConn's friend.

Reaction Score
I haven't paid much attention to ESPN's BPI rankings until this season, but UConn does worse there than in RPI. BPI factors in scores and whether you or your opponent is at full strength, e.g. the Harvard win is worth more to RPI than BPI due to a missing Harvard starter. Anyway, looking at BPI is pretty interesting. Wisconsin is 2, Pitt is 4, UConn is in the 30s and well behind LVille (whom we're ahead of in RPI).

I wonder if BPI will be gaining more credence with the selection committee come March. I think it's interesting, comprehensive and probably more accurate than RPI, but right now it's not UConn's friend.

It should catch on eventually, since it's definitely the better metric. But hopefully, like all revolutions in statistical analysis, it takes a while to catch on (at least beyond this year).

Reaction Score
It should catch on eventually, since it's definitely the better metric. But hopefully, like all revolutions in statistical analysis, it takes a while to catch on (at least beyond this year).

It's probably a better metric in terms of predicting future performance, but I don't think it is something that should be used in determining seeding or anything like that. At the end of the day, it's about the win or the loss and that's the way it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom