Are we not the most talented team in the country right now? Let’s break it down | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are we not the most talented team in the country right now? Let’s break it down

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We've got a tough game at Creighton coming up Saturday - Creighton will probably be favored. Let's see how that goes and then talk.
Yup. We haven’t beaten a ranked team on the road in years and Hurley hasn’t won as an underdog. Time to squash both of those Saturday. We can discuss the topic after the game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That’s more than fair. I’m not saying we are the best team right now. However it’s undeniable that we were the most dominant team for the first 2 months of the season. The issue right now is consistency. We played a full 40 minutes of Nov/Dec UConn vs Marquette. If we do that every game - which we already proved we are capable of doing - then we are the hardest team to beat. If they beat Creighton on Saturday, expectations will be FF or bust again lol
Agreed on the last line lol.

There’s no reason why we can’t get back to how we were prior to Big East play. Our defense has dropped off. Hopefully we can get back to being a top ranked defense.

Reaction Score
Probably not. There are lots of good teams in the country, and most of them I haven't seen play. It's likely many fans of higher ranked teams think the same thought that "no one is more talented than us". I'd rather UConn thought "we're not as talented as the top teams but we can work harder and still beat them" and then do it.

Reaction Score
Yawwwn! Call me if we win at Crayton on Saturday. Like the win against Marq as thats the first semblance of the team that started teh season we`ve seen in over a month. But its a home win. Can we win the tough game on the road against a hot team?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
God. you gotta just step back and admire what an emotional roller coaster being on this site is. We've gone from "this team could probably beat a G League squad" to "ok, we're frauds and may be on the bubble" to "maybe we're not as bad as we were but we obviously are not as good as we were" to "yeah, we are the most talented team in the country right now." And, genuinely, you feel each case so viscerally in the moment
I don't agree with what was written by others you paraphrased, and I don't relate to your use of "you."

I imagine that you referred to how you feel about what some people wrote, and I suppose that some here feel similarly.
All fair points. Counterpoint is that UConn lost to St. Johns at home.
You quoted a mixed list of facts, assertions, and questions, and then labeled them "points." You responded with a three-week old "fact," and called it a "counterpoint," when it had nothing to do with "right now."
Why?

Reaction Score
They’ve played like the best in the nation and played down to a middling team. The current trajectory seems encouraging with observable improvements at guard, ball movement, better D, and some confidence.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
In 20 to 30 minutes in three or four games this years, maybe. But that's not how it works.

It takes 40 minutes in six consecutive games to prove it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chest pounding again. Where’s the post “what’s the next game we won’t blow our opponent out”?

Nice win, much needed win against Marquette impressive on most every way. Let’s see how we do versus the Blue Jays who are trending in a very positive direction. The passion in defense against Marquette in the first half was that of the Huskies of the first 14 games. Wish I could say the same for the 2nd half it wasn’t the same, still decent but they need to be that team in the first half Tuesday for 40.

Saturday is huge for these guys can’t wait!

Reaction Score
Nope. I don't know how you can call a team that lost 6 of 8 games in the middle part of the season as the most talented in the country. I think we're pretty good and probably a borderline top 15 team, but that's about it honestly.

caw

Reaction Score
Nope. I don't know how you can call a team that lost 6 of 8 games in the middle part of the season as the most talented in the country. I think we're pretty good and probably a borderline top 15 team, but that's about it honestly.

To be fair, talent does not always equal success.

Also, to argue the OP, not having a player you can say will be a first team All-American kind of puts away the notion IMO. I'm not sure any of the guys on UConn are top two at their position in the nation. Hawkins maybe but depends on who you consider a two guard.

Reaction Score
Creighton has a better collection of guards (Alexander, Nembhard, Scheierman). I think for this reason, they are slightly better than us.
Guard play wins in March

Reaction Score
Sanogo - on national list for top 15 centers in the country
Hawkins - on national list for top 10 shooting guards in country
Jackson - on national list for top 15 defensive players in country
Karaban - one of best freshman in country….can make a case for top 15
Newton - over last 5 games, is he not playing like a top 10 PG in country?
Clingan - best backup center in country
Rest of bench - can we go top 20?

Was just thinking about this and want to get everyone’s thoughts….we have the tools to win it all for sure based on talent.
Nope. Let me see that domination at Creighton, against Providence and at St. John’s, then we’ll talk.

Reaction Score
We rely a lot on the 3P shot. We have good shooters, but can we shoot well 6 games in a row? What do we do on a off shooting night against a good team? We have the upside to beat every team in the country, but not sure if we can limit the downside.

Newton offers us great diversity in that he can drive to hoop, score and get fouled. I think he is the key to the season. In addition we need one of our bench shooters each game to score some points. We need to get to point where either JC or Alleyne has a good game each night.

On defense we are good at guarding perimeter teams and teams with good big men. We have been bad at defending teams that are full of guys that drive to hoop. I think Hurley should keep defense as is for perimeter teams, but needs to adjust defense for teams that like to drive to hoop. We have test runs against St. John’s, and Seton Hall. Hoping to see adjustments where we shut them down. I think Sanogo + Clingan on floor at same time is the answer to that defensive problem, but Hurley doesn’t seem to,like that lineup.
This. And honestly, although Newton is going hard to the basket now, there are still way too many dropped points from Sanogo and Jackson when they're a foot away from the rim and don't slam it home. Sanogo was kissing shots off the glass when he should have been guaranteeing they went through the net. Jackson is great and energetic, but he lobs his shots on drives like he's a QB hitting a receiver 60 yds down field.

It would be great if every player on the court were a viable threat to spot up and make a shot once in a while, but defenses know that Diara, Jackson, Alleyne (before the last couple games), and even Calcattera within the arc aren't serious threats to score. I think we're very good, but unless those guys get to the gym and find a way to improve their shot (or confidence to shoot) and keep defenses honest, we'll be streaky and risk flaming out early in the tournament again.

Reaction Score
We’re one of a handful of teams that have a legit shot to win it with our talent and depth. For as big the meltdown was on this board during our skid, our championship Vegas odds never went down that much. Like we all know, the tournament is a crapshoot, some luck and a lot of being hot at the right time. Let’s keep building the momentum!!!

Reaction Score
We’re one of a handful of teams that have a legit shot to win it with our talent and depth. For as big the meltdown was on this board during our skid, our championship Vegas odds never went down that much. Like we all know, the tournament is a crapshoot, some luck and a lot of being hot at the right time. Let’s keep building the momentum!!!
Our ceiling remains high, but our floor is much lower.

We're in the top 6-10 in terms of odds to reach the Final Four or win it all. If we get on a roll, we've shown that we have the capacity to beat -- even dominate -- a bunch of really good teams in a row.

But I bet if there were odds for getting out of the first round, we'd probably be 20-30th or so. I'm not sure we've had a team with that much variance.

Reaction Score
I have said it before but this team reminds me alot of Auburn last year. I think we have the highest ceiling in the country and we on our best day we will beat anyone. However like them we dont bring it everyday, they flamed out in the tournament last year. Hoping we dont follow their fate in that regard

Reaction Score
We have a lot of talent for sure but a few weaknesses that can bite us (foul too much, not great offensive spacing, guards not the best at creating their own shots until Newton's recent emergence).

Reaction Score
If this is the most talented team in the country, that puts a lot of burden on DH to get them to produce like it this year. We're on the upswing again, but if you're calling yourself the best collection of talent and you can't win your league/league tournament/some NCAA games, who does that fall on?

Reaction Score
We were life and death to beat Georgetown a few days ago - how about we slow down here until we string a few good games together?
1675972291226.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom