Are we gonna keep pretending... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are we gonna keep pretending...

Reaction Score
This team has lost to Northeastern, Wagner and East Carolina in the same year. They barely beat BU. I get it, injuries and other stuff.

But if we're not up against the line right now, then what's that look like, exactly?

Reaction Score
I agree with jibsey. We need a big man and a 2/3 that can shoot and score. Not a huge fan of the 5th year transfer but this year it may be necessary. Next year, for better or worse will be a pivotal and defining year for the programs future.

Reaction Score
Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.

What's funny is there were a lot of posters in the UConn football forum who wanted Randy gone long before he left. Called those who wanted to keep Randy Apologistas. Randy of course left for different reasons, same that got bb in a mess (Hatha gave it all away) and then got PP and Diaco! Turned out real good for those guys. These people might want to go to that forum and check it out. Better yet maybe @businesslawyer could come here and explain it to them. Better still he should just stay away.
I'm not calling for Ollie to be fired, so maybe try reading the contents of my post.

My point is specifically about these extended runs UConn gives up against pretty much every team - good and bad alike. They've been a huge problem with different rosters now, so this might be one thing we can lay at the feet of the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
You can make every excuse in the book for why this season is a wash. Still with a full roster back, if Uconn doesnt show considerable improvement next season, something has gotta give.

Beyond coaching, this is the first time since 1990 that we wont sell out a game (i'm guessing we wont on Sunday), continuing to be in this conference and not winning games will slowly erode the fan base and limit whatever exposure we even get on nationally televised games.

Reaction Score
People get very, very mad when you suggest that maybe giving up huge runs every game might be a problem.

Just because even mid-majors have no problem running off 24-5 runs against us doesn't mean that the coaching staff isn't top notch in every facet of their preparation.

Even though Cincinnati is all but certain to pound us into a stupid for minutes at a time without the coaching staff twitching a muscle is in no way an indication that they aren't in complete control of their team.

No, sir. Those runs are not a problem at all.
Fishy, we aren't supposed to talk about any coaching deficiencies we see game after game and year after year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not calling for Ollie to be fired, so maybe try reading the contents of my post.

My point is specifically about these extended runs UConn gives up against pretty much every team - good and bad alike. They've been a huge problem with different rosters now, so this might be one thing we can lay at the feet of the coaching staff.
What made you think I was referring to you?

Reaction Score
I would just be happy if KO would learn to recognize the opponent's runs and call TO's to quell them.
I'd be happier if the assistant coaches recognized something and spoke up. I've never three bumps on a log pretending to be coaches.

Reaction Score
Exactly - that would be wrong.

Just because something keeps happening does not mean it will keep happening.

Wait are you trying to tell me that if something happens about 70/90 times in a given three year span that it's likely to happen again?

Reaction Score
and we closed at 4, ECU is so bad the line still went up

My friend has been betting against us every single game this year and is up a TON. We have been getting generous lines because of our past success, but we are far worse than what the handicappers give us on a game by game basis. I think we're something like 9 - 15 against the spread this year.

Reaction Score
It's like people forget we're supposed to be an elite program. Our bench should be able to run ECU out of the gym.

I guess that puts it into a little more perspective. Right now our bench consists of 2 bigs and a bunch of walkons unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Our bench should be able to pound ECU? Ok. Have you watched our bench or lack there of? Just because guys have a recruiting ranking and wear a Uconn jersey, it doesn't give them magical powers to beat even a crappy but fully stocked team. The whole "but we are Uconn" argument is not grounded in reality. We are a lousy team and it is not our birthright to beat even crappy teams because of what happened in the past.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My friend has been betting against us every single game this year and is up a TON. We have been getting generous lines because of our past success, but we are far worse than what the handicappers give us on a game by game basis. I think we're something like 9 - 15 against the spread this year.
Even the bookies are playing bad UConn basketball. Is it Millers confusing D's that have them messed up? Or the suits that KO wears?

Reaction Score
I guess that puts it into a little more perspective. Right now our bench consists of 2 bigs and a bunch of walkons unfortunately.

Which in and of itself is an issue. Obviously you can't predict injuries but you should be able to fill a roster with scholarship players. If Noyes' scholarship went to a grad transfer or top 200 kid maybe we wouldn't be as bad off as we are.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This program is getting generous everything because of it's past successes.

And it's got a fan base that's happy to live back there, too.
Do you have any fans in mind? I haven't seen one fan that wants this team to do anything but win.
Some fans complain more about losses than others. Some fans look at situations differently than others. No one is settling.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
continuing to be in this conference and not winning games will slowly erode the fan base and limit whatever exposure we even get on nationally televised games.
You have a point. Hopefully that doesn't happen. Team is experiencing some serious bad luck. Could you imagine if we were in another conference? This team fits this conference..........for now.

Reaction Score
Our bench should be able to pound ECU? Ok. Have you watched our bench or lack there of? Just because guys have a recruiting ranking and wear a Uconn jersey, it doesn't give them magical powers to beat even a crappy but fully stocked team. The whole "but we are Uconn" argument is not grounded in reality. We are a lousy team and it is not our birthright to beat even crappy teams because of what happened in the past.

It's the coaches job to build the roster. No, you cannot plan for injuries, but you can fill a roster with scholarship players and players that can win against a team with an RPI of 227.

The "we are UConn" argument is that we should be an elite level program, but if you have a few guys injured, you should still be pretty good. You don't think other top programs have that expectation?

None of this is in a vacuum, either. It's not the first bad season we've had under Ollie.

Reaction Score
You have a point. Hopefully that doesn't happen. Team is experiencing some serious bad luck. Could you imagine if we were in another conference? This team fits this conference.....for now.
who knows, Uconn has had a habit of playing down or up to its competition for years

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So if someone doesn't get hysterical then they are settling?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom