Are the ACCs Day's Numbered? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Are the ACCs Day's Numbered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nicky, maybe the ACC won't be as wealthy as the leagues you mention, but, I do believe it will be as healthy.

And, why do you say that you doubt that we can hold it together for long? I am curious as to why you fell that way.
I said IF the Big12 can hold it together "texahoma conference,I doubt if they'll be able to hold it together much longer"!You misread my intent or I was'nt clear enough!I don't see why the ACC should'nt thrive since the GOR signing!

Reaction Score
Way to just pick the worst three year stretch to prove your point (and you werent' even accurate at that, since in 2010 Ru signed Jordan Thomas (NOT ZERO, NADA, NONE as you say) and 2011 RU signed two kids, not one.

Why not use the last 10 years, which provides a more accurate sampling:

2004 - 1 kid - Ron Girault
2005 - 5 kids - Leslie Jackman, Glenn lee, Devin McCourty, Jason McCourty, Ray Rice
2006 - 4 kids - Blair Bines, Julian Hayes, Edmund Laryea, Marlon Romulus
2007 - o kids
2008 - 2 kids - Scott Vallone, Devin Watkiss
2009 - 3 kids - Andre Civi, Rober oseph, Jmal Wilson
2010 - 1 kid - Jordan Thomas
2011 - 2 kids - Quentin Gause, Al Page
2012 - 0 kids
2013 - 3 kids - Devan Carter, Chris Laviano, Delon Stephenson

That's 21 kids in the last 10 years....or 2 kids a year on average.
You're just wrong. RU does not have a problem recruiting NY...but thanks for playing.
How could I have forgotten Andre Civil?All-purpose LM and good kid!

Reaction Score
I have also been a WVU fan (as a 2nd team) for over three decades and am a regular poster on their BGN boards,....my seeming disdain directed at Rutgers probably comes naturally...A WVU fan would point out that they have 17 straight wins over Rutgers.

Why do I follow WVU? Skip the following if it may bore you.

In 1982, we went to the Gator Bowl to play WVU...we ended up partying with another young couple that was from West Virginia and staying at our hotel....had a grand time and gave out our phone # with the standard..."if you are ever coming through Florida, etc"

Yes...they called...we sailed our boat in the gulf and just had a blast around the coast. Since, we have gone diving in the Bahamas together, and enjoyed the mountains of West Virginia...they visit us and we visit them. We both had a boy within months of each other and the kids think of themselves as cousins.
My nephew is an "01" alum of WVU and my family follows them closely but the fanbases are actually fond and respectful of each other with many still posting on RU's rivals board and almost all wishing us well and pulling for us! They say the game they'll miss the most is the war of stereotypes(Guidos vs Hillbillys)Ha ha!I feel UConn is the game and team I'll miss most(until they get justice)as neighboring state U's with much in common and large wealthy greater NYC following's in all sports!I'll also miss giving SU back what they used to give us 12+ years ago in FB and back but they've seemed to lost their lustre even in NY state!Maybe the AAC will help them get back their swagger!

Reaction Score
No obsession with Rutgers here. If it were I'd be on a Rutgers board and not a UConn board. I saw Rutgers on television for my first time ever when they played Louisville a few weeks ago. I've never seen a Rutgers basketball game. How can you be obsessed with something you never see? Rutgers is going to the Big Ten. It's a good opportunity for Rutgers. I've explained why the Big Ten was interested in Rutgers, and it has nothing to do with any athletic accomplishment in any sport at Rutgers because there isn't anything to discuss. That's all. Maybe a few minor bowl victories. If you think that's denigrating, you can if you want to. I think it's fair objective analysis. I compare that to UConn who is sitting on 10 recent NCAA basketball championships, a Football BCS Bowl appearance, and competitive soccer where they have a NCAA Championship. I think there might be a FCS Football Championship in there somewhere too.

And I can assure you that I have no cause to be jealous. I have no interest in seeing Virginia join the Big Ten.
Seems Va is to NC what Iowa St and KSU is to the BiG12?To be delicate I'll say beholden.If NC decided tomorrow to go B1G you can bet UVa would be holding on tight.You saw the anxiety in hoop's power Kansas when the Big12 almost collapsed?Think Va in that situation!

Reaction Score
Hoo Boy....3 players in three years (10, 11, and 12)...New York is a hot bed for Rutgers, I tell ya!

Heck, FSU picked up as many kids from New Jersey in that period and that isn't in the backyard.

I have come to realize that New York, as a recruiting area for Rutgers football, is just not very fruitful. NY to Rutgers is like New Jersey to FSU, cherry pick a few.

Well, at least you admitted you were wrong this time, since initially you said we only had 1 player in that three year period and not the 3 we got.

And it's very convenient of you to skip years where we had 3, 4 even 5 players from New York....including the most recent 2014 recruiting class that we're working on right now. Doesn't fit your argument, does it Yeah, let's just throw them out.

Like I said, over the last 10 years, we have averaged better than two players a year out of NY...a state that only has about 7 or 8 actual D1 players a year.

By anybody else's definition but yours, that is MORE than a fruitful haul.

But keep picking the three years where we were lower than the average to make your point. Just know we are smart enough to see right through your BS.

It would be no different than me taking the two or three best years where we have brought in 4 or 5 kids, and claiming that's the norm for Rutgers.

Again, like I said, you are just wrong on this. Admit it and move on.

Reaction Score
I didn't "conveniently skip anything...As I have posted.....I was working off of the Rivals report...

Two recruits a year out of the third largest state?

A hotbed of talent I tell ya...

Two freekin" recruits a year average and someone wants to toot their horn about a "fruitful" recruiting territory.

Maybe "being fruitful" is just a relative term and for me, being in Florida, it means something different than two recruits a year...

Louisville currently has 34 Florida kids on the roster and 9 more coming in the 2014 class...West Virginia has 22 Florida kids, even out on the plains of far flung Iowa State, they have 24 Florida kids on the roster.

Reaction Score
I didn't "conveniently skip anything...As I have posted.....I was working off of the Rivals report...

Two freekin" recruits a year average and someone wants to toot their horn about a "fruitful" recruiting territory.

Maybe "being fruitful" is just a relative term and for me, being in Florida, it means something different than two recruits a year...

Louisville currently has 34 Florida kids on the roster and 9 more coming in the 2014 class...West Virginia has 22 Florida kids, even out on the plains of far flung Iowa State, they have 24 Florida kids on the roster.
L'ville would'nt really be much w/o the Fla pipeline that CS and staff rely on as KY has little talent relatively speaking and certain midwest states like Iowa and Nebraska could'nt field a competitive team w/o out of state talent.W.Va same story!I admire the fact Iowa St as the 2nd team in a state with little FB talent manages to stay competitive!Iowa's even been struggling to keep the talent coming in.Wisconsin does well getting OOS talent but Minnesota still has problem's along with Indiana.

Reaction Score

I'm going to help you out, since you don't seem to know much about recruiting...based on the fact that you think NY produces a lot of D1 scholarship kids based on the fact NY is the third largest state.

First off, do yourself a favor and NEVER repeat that to anyone that knows anything about recruiting. They WILL laugh at you for saying something that moronic.

So here's your lesson I'm giving you, and not even charging you for it.

NY is NOT a state that produces many football prospects, despite its overall population. It falls well behind NJ. Even in the chart you listed there are only 27 kids compared to NJ's 57. The thing is, that number also includes the NY kids that go to schools in NY like Buffalo, and Stony Brook. That is the only reason the number is so high. Of those 27, there MAY be 10 kids that go to schools in BCS (now P-5) school.

It's the same reason the state of Connecticut used to produce less than a dozen D1 kids a yea, but once UCONN made the jump up...the number of kids from the state getting D1 scholarships went up.

in New Jersey, there is only one D1 school. Rutgers. Yet there are 57 kids that got a D1 scholarship.

NJ produces many more college football prospects....and that's where RU gets the majority of their players (12-15 kids a year).
Now, since you're pretty naïve about recruiting, I'll help you out more.

Rivals ranks the top 30 players in NJ. Rivals only ranks the top 10 in NY (and only the top 5 in Connecticut). It's the same reason Rivals ranks the top 100 in Florida where there is far more talent. It's all based on the actual number of real D1 talent in the state.

There are just not that many kids in the state of NY, despite it being the third biggest state, to justify a ranking all the way to 30, like in NJ and of course to 100 like in Florida.

So when RU is pulling in the large number of kids in our own state, and also pulling in on average about 20 percent of the legit major D1 kids from NY (10), that is called "solid recruiting" in NY. That's fruitful recruiting.

Anyone that knows anything about recruiting, particularly recruiting in the Northeast, would know when you go into someone else's state and cherry pick a couple kids from there to complement the kids you're getting from your own state, you're doing a good job recruiting.

Now, since you're still learning about how recruiting works, I'll give you a pass. Maybe next time you post, you won't come off as such a beginner. No need to than me for the lesson.

Reaction Score
Don't be a smart guy...I have forgotten more about recruiting thenn you will probably know.....

When Rutgers recruits well enough to do better than 0 for the last 17 against WVU, message me.

Rutgers will join Indiana as schedule fodder for the Big 10.

Reaction Score
Don't be a smart guy...I have forgotten more about recruiting thenn you will probably know.....

When Rutgers recruits well enough to do better than 0 for the last 17 against WVU, message me.

Rutgers will join Indiana as schedule fodder for the Big 10.

Yeah ok, boss. The fact that you think NY has a wealth of great high school players because it is the third largest state....shows just how little you actually know.

If you need another lesson on recruiting, just let me know and I'd me more than happy to share some actual recruiting knowledge with you.

it's very clear in this thread that you could use the help.

Reaction Score
keerist...you have comprehension problems...my whole premise was that New England and New York are dearth of talent....and somehow you twist that up.

New York is not a recruiting hotbed (said three times)...Rutgers does not recruit well and has little chance of ever recruiting with the big boys of football.

Rutgers best hope is to ascend to the level of Indiana.

Reaction Score
I said IF the Big12 can hold it together "texahoma conference,I doubt if they'll be able to hold it together much longer"!You misread my intent or I was'nt clear enough!I don't see why the ACC should'nt thrive since the GOR signing!

My apologies, good sir. :)

Reaction Score
My apologies, good sir. :)
No problem SouthronCross!
keerist...you have comprehension problems...my whole premise was that New England and New York are dearth of talent....and somehow you twist that up.

New York is not a recruiting hotbed (said three times)...Rutgers does not recruit well and has little chance of ever recruiting with the big boys of football.

Rutgers best hope is to ascend to the level of Indiana.

Reaction Score
Quentin Gause and Al Page are the lone New York guys listed for Rutgers 2010-2011-2012 (I admittedly missed Page )

Laviano was in 13...along with Carter and Stephenson

Not picking sides with the Rutgers debate; but, just pointing out that a 1) NY State is not a football recruiting hotbed and 2) a lot of the best football players from NY State, especially Rockland, Orange and Ulster counties end-up at the big NNJ Catholics, Don Bosco, St Joe’s, and Bergen Catholic especially.

For example, on Bosco’s current roster, I counted roughly 30 from NY State.

(http://donbosco.powermediallc.org/download/2013 Roster-Final revised Sept 10, 2013.pdf)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom