Are the ACCs Day's Numbered? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are the ACCs Day's Numbered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As long as certain programs are pacified and kept happy!

Yeppers.....

Up until about 2000, basketball brought in more dollars in the ACC than football. The ACC was slow in recognizing the changing times and that it was football that was making the bucks. The football schools wearied of being the beasts of burden while the basketball schools of Tobacco Road called all of the shots and did not seem as supportive of football. A mutiny was threatened.

FSU did their work well. Blustering in the press, putting together a football voting block of FSU, VT, Clemson, Miami, and GT, pressing for Louisville with the understanding that the Cards would support football issues, etc.

There have been positive changes from a football schools perspective...including some "eat what you kill" revenue sharing.

"ACC Commissioner John Swofford said that the league has had "significant discussions" about revising the league's current policy to distribute revenue generated by league members appearing in bowl games. Swofford also believes a change could come as soon as this bowl season.

"I'm pretty sure there will be some changes in how the financial aspects of our bowls are handled," Swofford said at the ACC Kickoff on Sunday. "And there's going to be significant new dollars, very significant, both from the college football playoff and reasonably significant too from the other bowls and our new tie-ins."

Reaction Score
Kansas and Missouri as well as Cincinnati and UConn all make sense for Big Ten additions in that they can be contiguous....real geographic misfits like a Florida team make little real sense.

AAU plays in for Kansas & Mizzou.

Cincinnati is not getting into the B1G for one major reason - Ohio State will block them and the B1G is not messing with Ohio State, and 1 minor reason - it is not AAU.
I agree that Kansas makes sense. Not sure about Missouri right now because of its sudden success on the football field.

Reaction Score
The B1G already called on UVA, UNC, Georgia Tech, and Florida State earlier this year. They were told thanks but no thanks, and then all of them signed the GOR in the ACC. The ACC is a mix of public and private schools, and it always has been. There isn't much new here.

Demographically, the region the ACC serves has access to the best high school football talent out there due to overlap with part of the SEC region. The northern schools in the conference will have the opportunity to tap into it. The Big Ten and the Big XII are the leagues that have demographic issues primarily due to the talent for football not coming from their regions with the exception of Texas and somewhat Ohio. They have to sell kids to travel a long way from home to go to school. Now that almost every game is on television in college football, kids don't have to go far away from home to a Big Ten School like Nebraska or Michigan to get on TV. They can stay closer to home at Wake Forest or NC State and get on TV just fine. And if they go to another school in the ACC, they will travel to games in the region that their friends and family can attend.
So outside of Ohio theres little talent in the B1Gs footprint?I guess some would be delusional then in Pennsy/NJ/Md/Del who thought their was a bit of talent in that region too.I agree there are "barren" areas talentwise like Neb/Minn/Wisc etc but I would guess theres not anymore or less talent in the Pac12 outside of Cali and the ACC gets less out of their talent rich footprint(shared w/SEC) then most?Only the upper SEC schools seem to benefit from whatever talent disparity there is it appears to me!Having 4 N.C. members in close proximity doesnt leave much on the bone there either(NC/NC.St/Wake/Dook) and 2 in Va(UV/VT) another example of a tightly squeezed group all fighting for the same kids so it seems even the ACC has demographic issues while the major conferences are fairly evenly spread out!And why would ND who prides themselves on FB independence be included in an ACC FB article?

Reaction Score
Yeppers.....

Up until about 2000, basketball brought in more dollars in the ACC than football. The ACC was slow in recognizing the changing times and that it was football that was making the bucks. The football schools wearied of being the beasts of burden while the basketball schools of Tobacco Road called all of the shots and did not seem as supportive of football. A mutiny was threatened.

FSU did their work well. Blustering in the press, putting together a football voting block of FSU, VT, Clemson, Miami, and GT, pressing for Louisville with the understanding that the Cards would support football issues, etc.

There have been positive changes from a football schools perspective...including some "eat what you kill" revenue sharing.

"ACC CommissionerJohn Swoffordsaid that the league has had "significant discussions" about revising the league's current policy to distribute revenue generated by league members appearing in bowl games. Swofford also believes a change could come as soon as this bowl season.

"I'm pretty sure there will be some changes in how the financial aspects of our bowls are handled," Swofford said at the ACC Kickoff on Sunday. "And there's going to be significant new dollars, very significant, both from the college football playoff and reasonably significant too from the other bowls and our new tie-ins."
I like your personality BB but too bad you have little respect for eastern FB,ha ha!Theres no doubt your a big booster of the "Noles" but I'm curious?Are you just interested in CR?Or the mindset of old BE teams in the NE?Your posts are maddening,interesting,brutally honest and generally fairly well informed in a southern viewpoint but I wonder what appeals to you here as you know some consider you a troll!Heck some even think of me as a troll but at least your erudite unlike bstimpy whose arrogance irks me(dissing RU too)Ha Ha.Oh well I always enjoy your OT views and camping stories so keep coming.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
He's not well informed if he legitimately thinks that FSU had an offer from the B1G. I believe there was a conversation, but the B1G turned them down.

Reaction Score
He's not well informed if he legitimately thinks that FSU had an offer from the B1G. I believe there was a conversation, but the B1G turned them down.

I am informed ...my post only said that President Barron has stated that he was in contact with the SEC and Big Ten....that is all. and that is a fact. You, on the other hand are only providing your opinion.

As I have posted numerous times (if you hadn't glossed over the posts) that it never made any sense for FSU nor the B!G for FSU to play in the Big Ten regardless of AAU/non AAU.

Reaction Score
Doomed! Doomed I tell you. The ACC is doomed.

Just too much Dude going around. Almost like the guy in my town who screams on the street corner every Saturday..."Repent, the end is near!".

I think that folks are looking for stories to sell. The SEC isn't going to invite Clemson nor FSU...and the ACC seems very comfortable with their situation now...If the B1G could have picked up UNC or Virginia, would they have taken Rutgers/Maryland? I think not.
Your wrong on that one BB!

Reaction Score
Yes I know but as I said guys "from a southern viewpoint)...I hate his biased views but enjoy his folksy OT storytelling style!

Reaction Score
I DON'T believe that FSU was offered either!

Reaction Score
I like your personality BB but too bad you have little respect for eastern FB,ha ha!Theres no doubt your a big booster of the "Noles" but I'm curious?Are you just interested in CR?Or the mindset of old BE teams in the NE?Your posts are maddening,interesting,brutally honest and generally fairly well informed in a southern viewpoint but I wonder what appeals to you here as you know some consider you a troll!Heck some even think of me as a troll but at least your erudite unlike bstimpy whose arrogance irks me(dissing RU too)Ha Ha.Oh well I always enjoy your OT views and camping stories so keep coming.

Simply...I love football. And CR is always interesting.

I retired from FSU. I had a working relationship with the previous president for a long time going back to when he was Speaker of the Florida House. I am a very long time FSU fan (40 years). I grew up in Pensacola, went undergrad at FSU and furthered my education in Madison, Wisconsin. Came back to Tallahassee for a career. Policy formulation, legislation, and lobbying were my areas during the last 20 years of my career.

You will see me on the West Virginia Board where I have over 13000 posts going back to 2002, on the Pitt board, ShaggyBevo, GT's board....and others.

I find that our viewpoint is a function of our vantage point. And, by talking to football fans from other areas of the country, I see different vantage points (not that it changes my viewpoint..LOL)

Reaction Score
You just can't stop trashing RU?StimpyCuse?For the second most popular school in Va your delusionally arrogant.How was the Ball St game up against ACC FB power Va?

Ball State has a good football team. Spread offense is hard to stop. No one is claiming UVA to be a football power. We've been over the Rutgers thing. Rutgers has not been relevant in college athletics in over half a century. They won a Men's fencing championship in 1949. Congratuations! I'm sure it was exciting at the time. They played a football game in 1869 before anyone else. I'm sure that was exciting at the time too.

The Big Ten picked them up because they want the cable boxes in New Jersey for the Big Ten Network, and they think Rutgers will help them market the Big Ten in New York City. Whether that will work out remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
To respond to the OP ?
Yes the ACC days are numbered, however the exact number of days is between 1 and 1,000,000

Reaction Score
So outside of Ohio theres little talent in the B1Gs footprint?I guess some would be delusional then in Pennsy/NJ/Md/Del who thought their was a bit of talent in that region too.I agree there are "barren" areas talentwise like Neb/Minn/Wisc etc but I would guess theres not anymore or less talent in the Pac12 outside of Cali and the ACC gets less out of their talent rich footprint(shared w/SEC) then most?Only the upper SEC schools seem to benefit from whatever talent disparity there is it appears to me!Having 4 N.C. members in close proximity doesnt leave much on the bone there either(NC/NC.St/Wake/Dook) and 2 in Va(UV/VT) another example of a tightly squeezed group all fighting for the same kids so it seems even the ACC has demographic issues while the major conferences are fairly evenly spread out!And why would ND who prides themselves on FB independence be included in an ACC FB article?

Yes. The football talent in high school in the United States has shifted dramatically to the South, and most of it wants to stay close to home when going to college. That will continue to give the SEC a strong advantage in football from now on. Within the South, the strongest concentration of high school football talent is in the South Atlantic (Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia). I think you should be able to figure out what other conference is located in these states to compete with the SEC for the recruits. It is not the Big Ten. In the Big Ten footprint, there are some recruits in the states you indicate, but the highest concentration is Ohio. And even regarding Ohio, the south has stronger talent. If you want analysis on it, here is some:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...outh-shift-more-even-distribution-decades-ago

The ACC has a bright future ahead of it in football given that it does overlap these areas with the SEC. It's up to the ACC football coaches in these areas to go out and recruit the talent. You are seeing it with Florida State and Clemson. They are recruiting like the top of the SEC. There is nothing holding back the rest of the schools. The ACC is somewhat different from the SEC because it is also interested in Big Time Basketball to go along with football. The best talent for basketball comes from the northeast. The ACC is interested in being located in the northeast as well. This combination will enable the ACC to be at the top in both sports, and why its days are not numbered. All the complaints about the ACC having a lot of infighting due to conflicts between football and basketball are overblown. All of the schools play both. It is not like the Big East where there are a lot of members not playing football at all.

Reaction Score
Yes. The football talent in high school in the United States has shifted dramatically to the South, and most of it wants to stay close to home when going to college. That will continue to give the SEC a strong advantage in football from now on. Within the South, the strongest concentration of high school football talent is in the South Atlantic (Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia). I think you should be able to figure out what other conference is located in these states to compete with the SEC for the recruits. It is not the Big Ten. In the Big Ten footprint, there are some recruits in the states you indicate, but the highest concentration is Ohio. And even regarding Ohio, the south has stronger talent. If you want analysis on it, here is some:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...outh-shift-more-even-distribution-decades-ago

The ACC has a bright future ahead of it in football given that it does overlap these areas with the SEC. It's up to the ACC football coaches in these areas to go out and recruit the talent. You are seeing it with Florida State and Clemson. They are recruiting like the top of the SEC. There is nothing holding back the rest of the schools. The ACC is somewhat different from the SEC because it is also interested in Big Time Basketball to go along with football. The best talent for basketball comes from the northeast. The ACC is interested in being located in the northeast as well. This combination will enable the ACC to be at the top in both sports, and why its days are not numbered. All the complaints about the ACC having a lot of infighting due to conflicts between football and basketball are overblown. All of the schools play both. It is not like the Big East where there are a lot of members not playing football at all.
Fair enough as northerners continue to seek warmer temp's in the SE the talent for now should continue to flow south whilst the trend last's.But its not as though the rest of the country will drop off the map in the forseeable future and the northeast continues to be the 1st stop for new waves of immigrants and new americans who are willing to work harder to achieve the American dream!I never agreed that the ACC is in dire straights since the grant of rights signing but just that as long as espn has there media rights they won't be as wealthy or healthy as the Pac12/B1G or SEC but more on the Texahoma conference level(at UT and Okla's mercy) if they can hold it together(I doubt 4long?)!

Reaction Score
Ball State has a good football team. Spread offense is hard to stop. No one is claiming UVA to be a football power. We've been over the Rutgers thing. Rutgers has not been relevant in college athletics in over half a century. They won a Men's fencing championship in 1949. Congratuations! I'm sure it was exciting at the time. They played a football game in 1869 before anyone else. I'm sure that was exciting at the time too.

The Big Ten picked them up because they want the cable boxes in New Jersey for the Big Ten Network, and they think Rutgers will help them market the Big Ten in New York City. Whether that will work out remains to be seen.
So even if thats true?Whats your deal and obsession with denigrating RU above all others?Did a kid from Jersey bully you as a kid?Did your folks give you any toys at Xmas as a kinder?I mean nearly every time I see a post by a Stimpy its almost always throws a RU dig!?!Find a new hobby as your obsession makes you sound jealous??Everything can't be judged on athletic trophy cases like cures for TB and Fortune 500 exec's!I know Va is a lovely campus but a few years ago before yankees took over we viewed most of VA as a backwater.

Reaction Score
Simply...I love football. And CR is always interesting.

I retired from FSU. I had a working relationship with the previous president for a long time going back to when he was Speaker of the Florida House. I am a very long time FSU fan (40 years). I grew up in Pensacola, went undergrad at FSU and furthered my education in Madison, Wisconsin. Came back to Tallahassee for a career. Policy formulation, legislation, and lobbying were my areas during the last 20 years of my career.

You will see me on the West Virginia Board where I have over 13000 posts going back to 2002, on the Pitt board, ShaggyBevo, GT's board....and others.

I find that our viewpoint is a function of our vantage point. And, by talking to football fans from other areas of the country, I see different vantage points (not that it changes my viewpoint..LOL)
Well said BB though I disagree with a lot of your CFB views I appreciate the friendly manner in which they usually come across seemingly not intended to be malicious or hurtful to others!I don't detect any arrogance in your posts or at least intentionally.We should(esp you)be grateful for the good fortune that comes our way and be humble lest we be humbled!You and your old lady taking the road soon on your hog?Nothing like the carolina woods in the late fall!

Reaction Score
Was up in North Carolina over the weekend...rode down to the North Georgia Mountaim Fair in Hiawassee...watched the FSU game in Coach's Sports Bar in our small NC town (Murphy)...then back to Florida. Some good blue grass.

My wife will retire in March and we will split time between NC and Florida.

Reaction Score

Some quick counterpoints:

Overlap is a huge concern, esp for ACC schools. The SEC's overall football infrastructure is simply way ahead of the ACC. As for the ACC schools with similar facilities to the SEC: Clemson and FSU, my point only goes further, since these are the ACC's best hopes for a NC in a given year. Miami has upped the ante as well, new football facility coming soon. The ACC is a basketball conference, albeit is depends on a lot of talent from the Midwest and Northeast for the hardwood- hs basketball in the BIG footprint will never decline - it's simply a year round indoor sport up here. Same goes for parts of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

I'd take hs football in Louisiana & Alabama over Virginia and the Carolinas, combined, any day of the week, 365, esp Louisiana. The Bayou State plays incredibly hs football, the best according to Peyton Manning - I agree.

Overlap issues just don't exist with the SEC, but your own conference and other FBS schools as well.

Alabama, Miss, Ark and S. Car don't have NFL football, and likely never will. Huge advantage for the SEC, albeit more slight for the Gamecocks - but they are the state flagship & they've simply outperformed Clemson during the Spurrier tenure. Throw in the fact that the other SEC schools with NFL competition are generally isolated in communities to themselves, outside the NFL zone.

Don't try to sell me on Clemson - they got blasted to the moon last week & have so often choked in big games. Their loss reminded that they're still the program who got humiliated by WVa a couple years back, BCS game. Probably the worst performance I've ever seen by a team in a BCS game.

Read the ESPN article carefully - hs football in SE has been the best for a long time -shift started in the 70s, though I'd argue earlier. Nothing shocking. Throw in post-segregation & you have yet another reason why the SEC's rise and the dominance of the Fla schools throughout the 80s and 90s is hardly revealing. Thus, I often laugh, and laugh hard when people spell Rust Belt Apocalypse = declining hs & college football. We care about football in this region, non-Rust Belt Midwest as well, but we sink a lot of support into NFL teams - it's been that way for a long, long time. Where I'm from, Minneapolis-St. Paul, we just don't care that much about hs football, hockey rules & our basketball continues to rise and produce top shelf recruits. No other state has produced the NHL talent Minnesota has, not even Mass, and they are a larger state, population wise. In other words, culture matters as well & some states are increasingly shifting away from a sport, football, that has the most long-term health concerns of any major American sport. Not that hockey is much safer, but the NHL has not reached the NFL's level of concerns.

Until the ACC starts lowering some of its academic standards and pimping bigger football stadiums - good luck! On the other hand, keep those academic standards up - I don't value football like much of the doucheeee boneheads that dress up and go to football games throughout the SEC and ACC. People should try to be smarter & stop idolizing cf players, they are just kids.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten giving its sales pitch to Virginia is not a rumor. I know for a fact that this happened. The part coming out of the rumor mill that UVA turned in its paperwork to join is fiction. UVA athletics was flattered to be approached by the Big Ten, but they are not interested in the Big Ten.

The AD at Illinois, Ron Guenther, confirmed for you that other ACC schools besides Maryland were approached by the Big Ten. It doesn't take a genious to figure out that who they approached were the AAU schools in the ACC. Maryland listened to the offer more than the others because Maryland Athletics is broke, and they bought the sales pitch. For Rutgers it is an upgrade. In any event, it's not a rumor when the person who was orchestrating this explains it.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...6/loren-tate-guenther-gone-not-forgotten.html

Dude you gave me a blacked out story. Bottom line: you need to give me a much better source. But you can't because none exists & likely never will.

The nature of expansion boils down to yes or no, and both end up being public knowledge at some point.. ND's decline of the BIG was public knowledge. There were votes and backroom decisions that simply got published, not all this garbage Internet-blogging wasteland by aliases and pseudo-newspapers.

At best, we know the BIG was considering a package of two ACC schools, but invites have not been made public. I honestly think the BIG has more interest in a package of Big12 schools - esp OU & Tx. There's far more blood in the Big12's surrounding waters. Md and Rutgers were great additions in terms of public flagships, academic interests, & large media markets, but they weren't football adds. BIG is looking football prestige next. Neither of the Va schools offer such, albeit UVa is one fine school in terms of most sports and academics. VPI is not far behind.

Moreover, Delany, again, is an ACC guy to some degree. I think any sane person whose body of interests also includes more athletic parity wants the ACC to compete against the SEC for Southeastern dominance. My feeling is that most BIG fans would likely root for the ACC in this case, as a conference you have more in common with the BIG and Pac12's emphasis on "student-athlete".

Reaction Score
Some quick counterpoints:

Overlap is a huge concern, esp for ACC schools. The SEC's overall football infrastructure is simply way ahead of the ACC. As for the ACC schools with similar facilities to the SEC: Clemson and FSU, my point only goes further, since these are the ACC's best hopes for a NC in a given year. Miami has upped the ante as well, new football facility coming soon. The ACC is a basketball conference, albeit is depends on a lot of talent from the Midwest and Northeast for the hardwood- hs basketball in the BIG footprint will never decline - it's simply a year round indoor sport up here. Same goes for parts of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

I'd take hs football in Louisiana & Alabama over Virginia and the Carolinas, combined, any day of the week, 365, esp Louisiana. The Bayou State plays incredibly hs football, the best according to Peyton Manning - I agree.

Overlap issues just don't exist with the SEC, but your own conference and other FBS schools as well.

Alabama, Miss, Ark and S. Car don't have NFL football, and likely never will. Huge advantage for the SEC, albeit more slight for the Gamecocks - but they are the state flagship & they've simply outperformed Clemson during the Spurrier tenure. Throw in the fact that the other SEC schools with NFL competition are generally isolated in communities to themselves, outside the NFL zone.

Don't try to sell me on Clemson - they got blasted to the moon last week & have so often choked in big games. Their loss reminded that they're still the program who got humiliated by WVa a couple years back, BCS game. Probably the worst performance I've ever seen by a team in a BCS game.

Read the ESPN article carefully - hs football in SE has been the best for a long time -shift started in the 70s, though I'd argue earlier. Nothing shocking. Throw in post-segregation & you have yet another reason why the SEC's rise and the dominance of the Fla schools throughout the 80s and 90s is hardly revealing. Thus, I often laugh, and laugh hard when people spell Rust Belt Apocalypse = declining hs & college football. We care about football in this region, non-Rust Belt Midwest as well, but we sink a lot of support into NFL teams - it's been that way for a long, long time. Where I'm from, Minneapolis-St. Paul, we just don't care that much about hs football, hockey rules & our basketball continues to rise and produce top shelf recruits. No other state has produced the NHL talent Minnesota has, not even Mass, and they are a larger state, population wise. In other words, culture matters as well & some states are increasingly shifting away from a sport, football, that has the most long-term health concerns of any major American sport. Not that hockey is much safer, but the NHL has not reached the NFL's level of concerns.

Until the ACC starts lowering some of its academic standards and pimping bigger football stadiums - good luck! On the other hand, keep those academic standards up - I don't value football like much of the doucheeee boneheads that dress up and go to football games throughout the SEC and ACC. People should try to be smarter & stop idolizing cf players, they are just kids.

The OP article was about the ACC being in trouble because it can't be a good football conference because it has private schools. That's a bunch of bull. The SEC is going to have an advantage for football because of where the talent comes from and most of its members being from those areas. My point about the ACC is that it has all the opportunity in the world to be second best P5 conference in football year in and year out because the ACC has enough schools in the same areas as the SEC and can draw on the same talent. It can do so with higher academic standards too. Just this year most prognosticators have the ACC third behind the SEC and PAC 12 and the gap between the ACC and PAC 12 is small. That's why the computers have Florida State ahead of Oregon.

What the ACC has that the SEC doesn't have is reach into the northeast and midwest because of the presence of Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Notre Dame. That will enable the ACC to also be a very competitive basketball conference because that is where basketball talent comes from. A conference that is consistently second best in football and the best in basketball doesn't have its days numbered even with private schools. The author was trying to make the case that the demographic issue is against the ACC because of the size of the schools and the alumi bases. The Demographic issue is not that. It is where does the talent come from. The conferences with a demographic problem for football talent are the Big XII with the exception of Texas schools and the Big Ten with the possible exception of Ohio State. That was my original point.

Reaction Score
Dude you gave me a blacked out story. Bottom line: you need to give me a much better source. But you can't because none exists & likely never will.

The nature of expansion boils down to yes or no, and both end up being public knowledge at some point.. ND's decline of the BIG was public knowledge. There were votes and backroom decisions that simply got published, not all this garbage Internet-blogging wasteland by aliases and pseudo-newspapers.

At best, we know the BIG was considering a package of two ACC schools, but invites have not been made public. I honestly think the BIG has more interest in a package of Big12 schools - esp OU & Tx. There's far more blood in the Big12's surrounding waters. Md and Rutgers were great additions in terms of public flagships, academic interests, & large media markets, but they weren't football adds. BIG is looking football prestige next. Neither of the Va schools offer such, albeit UVa is one fine school in terms of most sports and academics. VPI is not far behind.

Moreover, Delany, again, is an ACC guy to some degree. I think any sane person whose body of interests also includes more athletic parity wants the ACC to compete against the SEC for Southeastern dominance. My feeling is that most BIG fans would likely root for the ACC in this case, as a conference you have more in common with the BIG and Pac12's emphasis on "student-athlete".

Here's the relevant part of it. I can see the article when I click on it. Don't know why you can't.

Rutgers and Maryland will join the Big Ten next year, and Guenther was deeply engaged in that unexpected development.

“We ran out of options,” he said. “That was not what we started to do. Jim had challenged me to come up with ways to increase the conference value, and I worked with the Pac-12 to put a collaboration together whereby we would play a 12-game series with them in football, staggered over the first three weeks of the season. We’d then be able to capture all three time zones, thus increasing our TV dollars. Unfortunately, right at the end, the Pac-12 pulled the plug because some institutions had contracts they couldn’t break.

“The challenge then was how do we increase our revenue? I looked at the population base going east. Once we take the Big Ten brand into New York, with that population and the good high school programs ... give this 10 years and we’ll see.
“This is so different from what we thought we were looking at. But I like our strategy. There were some other ACC schools that showed interest, but that didn’t work out.”

Guenther always has been close to Delany and worked with him for a decade in helping bring the BTN to fruition. They privately discussed Guenther’s move to the conference office for several years before he stepped down at Illinois.

I told earlier in this thread who the other ACC schools were that the Big Ten approached. It didn't work out because they said no.

Reaction Score
The OP article was about the ACC being in trouble because it can't be a good football conference because it has private schools. That's a bunch of bull. The SEC is going to have an advantage for football because of where the talent comes from and most of its members being from those areas. My point about the ACC is that it has all the opportunity in the world to be second best P5 conference in football year in and year out because the ACC has enough schools in the same areas as the SEC and can draw on the same talent. It can do so with higher academic standards too. Just this year most prognosticators have the ACC third behind the SEC and PAC 12 and the gap between the ACC and PAC 12 is small. That's why the computers have Florida State ahead of Oregon.

What the ACC has that the SEC doesn't have is reach into the northeast and midwest because of the presence of Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Notre Dame. That will enable the ACC to also be a very competitive basketball conference because that is where basketball talent comes from. A conference that is consistently second best in football and the best in basketball doesn't have its days numbered even with private schools. The author was trying to make the case that the demographic issue is against the ACC because of the size of the schools and the alumi bases. The Demographic issue is not that. It is where does the talent come from. The conferences with a demographic problem for football talent are the Big XII with the exception of Texas schools and the Big Ten with the possible exception of Ohio State. That was my original point.

I agree with much above, esp basketball - you bastards can sell our hs kids on the basketball tradition, which is why far more kids from the BIG footprint have played in the ACC than ACC footprint kids in the BIG. I can't even describe how many times UNC, NCSt & Duke have won a NC with at least one starter-key player from say Illinois, Indiana, Jersey and Md, the latter two being part of the future BIG footprint. But, Va and NC definitely have high quality prep hoops - just a lot of in-state schools to choose from, crowded.

But the ACC has rarely been the second best conference, depth wise, in football, if ever. Last year was solid for the ACC, and there were years when FSU won a NC, but that was the pre-BCS era & their success really underscored college football culture in Fla more than anything else. This may finally be the ACC's year, albeit I think Oregon is the best team in the country, better than Bama and FSU. Someone is going to get screwed : (. Probably Oregon, due to the traditions of Bama n FSU. Never mind the fact that Oregon completely destroyed the likes of UVa and Tenn & the Pac12, this year, has the most depth out of the major conferences. I also think Baylor might go undefeated.

Reaction Score
There is no real reason why the ACC can not recruit very well for football....

FSU certainly has built an eclectic team...stealing a five star QB out of Alabama, along with the #2 national defensive end. FSU has been cherry picking places like Mississippi, New Jersey, Georgia, Texas, South Carolina, Tennessee to augment the Florida recruits.

FSU, Miami, and Clemson are all in the current Top 10 in 2014 recruiting team rankings.....and North Carolina, Louisville, and Virginia Tech are all in the current Top 20.

Reaction Score
Why is UConn handicapped in football recruiting?

1...Connecticut itself does not produce talent...only 10 Div. I signees total in the last three recruiting classes.

...a. Only 1 of every 1061 HS players in Connecticut signs a Div I LOI...vs 1 in every 124 in Florida, 1 of every 178 in Georgia, etc.

2...New England states do not produce talent...Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont are the same, or worse, then Connecticut re numbers of Div I signees.

..a. New York has produced about 27 ( 9 Div I signees per year over the last three classes)...Rutgers grabbed 1 of the 27 and Syracuse almost all of the rest.

What is the remedy?

UConn is actually in the same boat as Nebraska re in-state recruits..the numbers say Nebraska is in worse shape than Connecticut as far as recruiting within the state.

Sooooo? What does Nebraska do? They have to recruit nationally...their 2013 class had kids from Florida, Texas, Illinois, California, Arizona, Louisianna, Missouri, Ohio, Wisconsin.

UConn does the same....the Huskies just need to up the ante and pick up better talent from their wide flung recruiting net.

Re Nebraska....I think that the change of conferences has thrown the Huskers a little off track in recruiting Texas....they are in transition re recruiting area.

Example: in 2008, Nebraska's class included 9 Texas kids, the 2009 class had 8....

2012...2 Texans, 2013...3 Texans

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If Oregon and Florida State both win out, Oregon will pass FSU in the computers in the next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom