Appreciating Our Future New Schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Appreciating Our Future New Schedule

Reaction Score
The XL blows. Big crowds are good but that’s it.

However, I wonder if this move helps move the needle to renovate the arena.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
The XL blows. Big crowds are good but that’s it.

However, I wonder if this move helps move the needle to renovate the arena.

I would keep in mind that whenever XL has more than 10k, it is a great venue. Playing in the Big East and (hopefully) becoming a tournament team again under Hurley will make that a reality more often than not for conference games. When it has under 10k, it is a sucky atmosphere.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As someone from Nebraska who has never been to Conn., can someone tell me the difference between Gampel and the XL Center and why we seem to hate the XL Center?
You're really getting the slow drip on having your question answered.

Hartford (by metro population) is a medium-sized American city with a downtown that has restaurants & bars & other urban attractions before & after the game. Someone else can add-on their opinion of such features. XL is the city's large concert venue and once was used for an NHL franchise.

Storrs is in a mostly rural setting, essentially the university, with increasing 'college town' features that, again, I leave someone else to weigh in on. Gampel is the on-campus arena.

Also noted: 2 Interstates intersect in Hartford, and Storrs is not directly along an Interstate highway.

Reaction Score
I dunno, I like both. For totally different reasons, but I like both.

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s not a parade but a funeral procession,
Unfortunately right now we can’t distinguish the difference.
I don't agree with you. Good things are happening. Couple eye opening recruits will set you straight.

Reaction Score
I like the XL Center. It’s a shorter drive for me and the place holds so many memories for me as that’s where I’d usually go for games (I wasn’t as available to go to Gampel games)

Reaction Score
XL would work just fine if we were smarter about it. Put winter break games and huge games there and it would be pretty solid. Selling out the XL can make for an awesome atmosphere, though I still prefer a sold out Gampel.

Also I think people underrate Creighton. Sure they're not a traditional rival, but they've put together some good teams and their fans are super supportive. We're going to have some real away battles there even when we're good. And not in a Tulsa sort of way.

Reaction Score
Nova
@ Nova
Providence
@ Providence
St. Johns
@ St. Johns
Seton Hall
@ Seton Hall
Georgetown
@ Georgetown
Marquette
@ Marquette
Butler
@ Butler
Xavier
@ Xavier
Creighton
@ Creighton
Depaul
@ Depaul

And that is EVERY SINGLE YEAR!

I am giddy just writing that out!
Good stuff but in the old Big East those were second tier games.

Reaction Score
XL would work just fine if we were smarter about it. Put winter break games and huge games there and it would be pretty solid. Selling out the XL can make for an awesome atmosphere, though I still prefer a sold out
Also I think people underrate Creighton. Sure they're not a traditional rival, but they've put together some good teams and their fans are super supportive. We're going to have some real away battles there even when we're good. And not in a Tulsa sort of way.

1000% agree with all this. Play games in Hartford during break AND people poopooing Creighton is so ignorant. They have one of the best fan bases in the Big East.

Look at their home court environment for basketball and then look at the crowds they pull for baseball and soccer.

C

Chief00

Nova
@ Nova
Providence
@ Providence
St. Johns
@ St. Johns
Seton Hall
@ Seton Hall
Georgetown
@ Georgetown
Marquette
@ Marquette
Butler
@ Butler
Xavier
@ Xavier
Creighton
@ Creighton
Depaul
@ Depaul

And that is EVERY SINGLE YEAR!

I am giddy just writing that out!

Not to rain on the parade but some of these teams don’t excite Chief. Having said that. As Calhoun use to say, it’s all about us. How good do we want to be and how much we are willing to sacrifice (and yes that means the Admissions Dept too!).

Reaction Score
Yes but not the old Big East murderer's row. Those were great times back then

Well of course. But the league is good enough where Xavier managed to get a 1 seed having a good year. Houston lost 2 game this year and was a 3 seed.

Its not Cuse, Louisville, etc. It's still better than Tulsa, USF, SMU, ECU, and Tulane.

Reaction Score
Good stuff but in the old Big East those were second tier games.

the only relevant comparison is the big east v. the aac

not the "old big east" v. the big east

nothing can ever compare to the old big east and everybody knows it. why even bring it up?

Reaction Score
Not to rain on the parade but some of these teams don’t excite Chief. Having said that. As Calhoun use to say, it’s all about us. How good do we want to be and how much we are willing to sacrifice (and yes that means the Admissions Dept too!).
Chief, we're going to need to bring both barrels loaded to beat most of those teams and the games will be very competitive. It be plenty exciting. As it has been pointed out, many of those teams are better than they were back when so we should be concerned but not about the league being too easy. We've been down that road in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Chief, we're going to need to bring both barrels loaded to beat most of those teams and the games will be very competitive. It be plenty exciting. As it has been pointed out, many of those teams are better than they were back when so we should be concerned but not about the league being too easy. We've been down that road in the AAC.
And we still couldn’t finish above 3rd in that league. I’m hoping a real coach now makes a huge difference.

Reaction Score
And we still couldn’t finish above 3rd in that league. I’m hoping a real coach now makes a huge difference.
Hopefully things really do improve

Reaction Score
Do you disagree? Those were the filler games.
Well considering we never even played three of those schools and one of them only joined the league in 2005, no I don't agree.

The Hall and Providence were down for a long time when we were in the league but they refocused their energies on basketball and are clearly better programs then they were before things split up the last time. Georgetown is still a big name and seems to be on the upswing with Ewing. People like to pretend the Big East has always been the same conference since the beginning despite all the changes in schools. Pitt had a long run of success with Howland and Dixon but the only truly consistently great program that is gone is Syracuse.

The league is light years ahead of the AAC in terms of play, game atmosphere, venues, rivalries, and national recognition.

Reaction Score
the only relevant comparison is the big east v. the aac

not the "old big east" v. the big east

nothing can ever compare to the old big east and everybody knows it. why even bring it up?
Because it's being brought up by the supporters of the move

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom