Appreciating Our Future New Schedule | The Boneyard

Appreciating Our Future New Schedule

Reaction Score
I remember a time back in 2011 going to the Civic Center to watch Kemba play Marquette ( I think we lost), and saying to my wife it’s a shame it’s just Marquette and not Cuse or Georgetown. Now I will slurp up Marquette like a chocolate milkshake! My son lives in Arlington and I used to love seeing us play Gtown down there. Check. The BE tournament was a highlight week for me every year because you had many games and foodspots to plan the week around (and I also have a son in Brooklyn). I know there a many negatives that have been pointed out here but it seems like I just got a new lease on my basketball life. Please don’t rain on this parade.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Nova
@ Nova
Providence
@ Providence
St. Johns
@ St. Johns
Seton Hall
@ Seton Hall
Georgetown
@ Georgetown
Marquette
@ Marquette
Butler
@ Butler
Xavier
@ Xavier
Creighton
@ Creighton
Depaul
@ Depaul

And that is EVERY SINGLE YEAR!

I am giddy just writing that out!

Reaction Score
Nova
@ Nova
Providence
@ Providence
St. Johns
@ St. Johns
Seton Hall
@ Seton Hall
Georgetown
@ Georgetown
Marquette
@ Marquette
Butler
@ Butler
Xavier
@ Xavier
Creighton
@ Creighton
Depaul
@ Depaul

#same

Wordbomar

Reaction Score
In 20-21, our schedule right now looks like it will be:

20 Big East Games
1 Big Ten Game (Gavitt Games)
1 Big 12 Game (Big East - B12 Challenge)
@ Florida
3 Games (Pre-Season Tourney)
5 Cupcake Games
Big East Tourney at MSG

Reaction Score
I remember a time back in 2011 going to the Civic Center to watch Kemba play Marquette ( I think we lost), and saying to my wife it’s a shame it’s just Marquette and not Cuse or Georgetown. Now I will slurp up Marquette like a chocolate milkshake! My son lives in Arlington and I used to love seeing us play Gtown down there. Check. The BE tournament was a highlight week for me every year because you had many games and foodspots to plan the week around (and I also have a son in Brooklyn). I know there a many negatives that have been pointed out here but it seems like I just got a new lease on my basketball life. Please don’t rain on this parade.
Yeah, and I need to make it out for the BE Tourney. MSG is the the one place I have never seen a Uconn game and I have watched the team since my dad took me in the late 70's to watch them at the civic center. As a student I went to all the games at both Hartford and Gampel to see Donyel and Ray Allen teams play. I live in Atlanta now so of course I barely see them play in person anymore. I was at the 90's NCAA tourney in Hartford for the dream team and at 4 of the NCAA tournament championships but never MSG. I think I will make a trip up next year for my first time being there to commemorate being back in the Mecca of college basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nova
@ Nova
Providence
@ Providence
St. Johns
@ St. Johns
Seton Hall
@ Seton Hall
Georgetown
@ Georgetown
Marquette
@ Marquette
Butler
@ Butler
Xavier
@ Xavier
Creighton
@ Creighton
Depaul
@ Depaul

The biggest lift here is just not having the dregs of the AAC anymore.

You could make an argument that out of that list, only Nova is guaranteed to be good-to-elite every year.

But at worst the conference has a solid "middle class" of teams like Providence, Seton Hall, Butler, Marquette, that should be respectable every year.

Wordbomar

Reaction Score
The biggest lift here is just not having the dregs of the AAC anymore.

You could make an argument that out of that list, only Nova is guaranteed to be good-to-elite every year.

But at worst the conference has a solid "middle class" of teams like Providence, Seton Hall, Butler, Marquette, that should be respectable every year.

In my mind, they’re just opponents that I care more to watch our Huskies play against. I would rather beat Marquette than Tulsa

Reaction Score
Hey maybe now they won’t have problems with students coming to the games and won’t have to hand out free tickets or do dumb giveaways to get people to come

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Unless you are a fan of road trips, a mother who wants to see her son recruited to a place in the northeast, or a fan of one the current BE schools, you can stop after Villanova and Georgetown.

Let's not oversell this.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
So glad to get my "local" UConn games back in Milwaukee and Chicago. Doesn't hurt that both are playing in new arenas since the last time UConn was there either...

Now for that UConn @ Wisconsin Gavitt Games matchup game 10 minutes down the road from me...

Reaction Score
As someone from Nebraska who has never been to Conn., can someone tell me the difference between Gampel and the XL Center and why we seem to hate the XL Center?

Others covered the location.

Both are pretty terrible venues for sports. Old and poorly designed.

XL when full is awesome. Hasn't happened recently. About 6k more seats than gampel. Terrible bathrooms, weird background noises. More centrally located for most fans.

Gampel has the nostalgia and small gym/big volume thing going on. Terrible food. Students have an easier time getting to games, obviously.

Reaction Score
Obviously excited for the new schedule, but one thing I'm really looking forward to is watching other league games again. I really could never get into watching an AAC match-up that didn't include UConn.

Like this past year, there was one Saturday where the AAC had Tulsa-UCF, Cincinnati-Wichita State, UConn-Tulane, SMU-Memphis, and Houston-USF all playing between 12pm and 10pm.

In the Big East, there was one Saturday where they had Butler-Georgetown, Providence-St. John's, Villanova-Marquette, Creighton-Seton Hall, DePaul-Xavier all playing between 12pm and 10pm.

It'd be tough to watch any of those AAC games, let alone UConn-Tulane. But now, I can't wait to spend an entire Saturday watching Big East basketball again.

Reaction Score
In my mind, they’re just opponents that I care more to watch our Huskies play against. I would rather beat Marquette than Tulsa

This.

This is what college sports is all about.

I have a ton of Providence and Georgetown fans in my life, therefore games against Providence and Georgetown take on added significance due to trash talk etc.

Reaction Score
In 20-21, our schedule right now looks like it will be:

20 Big East Games
1 Big Ten Game (Gavitt Games)
1 Big 12 Game (Big East - B12 Challenge)
@ Florida
3 Games (Pre-Season Tourney)
5 Cupcake Games
Big East Tourney at MSG
Two things to keep in mind. One BE team will be left out of the Big East-Big 12 challenge every year since BE is now at 11, while the Big 12 is at 10. I doubt it will be us as FOX will want us for ratings, but it could happen.

The Gavitt games is 8 games every year. So again we could be left off.

I don't see that happen initially though. Gavitt games go until 2022, but this will be renewed as FOX controls both leagues. Big East-Big 12 goes until 2023 I believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom