Appreciating Our Future New Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Appreciating Our Future New Schedule

Reaction Score
As someone from Nebraska who has never been to Conn., can someone tell me the difference between Gampel and the XL Center and why we seem to hate the XL Center?
Gampel is a cool dome, on a beautiful campus. XL is nothing special and in the capitol city. People here will say XL is a dump, but it's not that bad...unless you are in the nosebleed seats. Gampel is more intimate and just a really unique place, and there's not a bad seat in the house.

Reaction Score
As someone from Nebraska who has never been to Conn., can someone tell me the difference between Gampel and the XL Center and why we seem to hate the XL Center?

Gampel is a traditional college basketball venue and environment.

It’s situated in the heart of campus and is intimate, loud and intimidating.

The XL Center is an abandoned NHL arena situated in the heart of a decaying city.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna throw in some pros for XL for @Nebraskan18 since everyone else is throwing cons.
(1) You can drink there; you cannot at Gampel.
(2) For most people in the state (students not included, of course) it's way more accessible, right off I-84.
(3) It's 15 minutes away from J. Timothy.
(4) You can drink there.

Reaction Score
The only team I don't care about is Depaul but I care about them more than ECU, Tulane, SMU or Tulsa. I am indifferent to Creighton but still care more about playing them than almost any team in the American other than Temple, Memphis and Cincy. In fact I will legit miss Cincy and Temple a tiny bit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The XL Center is an abandoned NHL arena situated in the heart of a decaying city.
Last Saturday Hartford had the annual Blues festival in Bushnell Park, Cirque du Soleil, the Yard Goats and the Dave Matthews Band all performing in Hartford at the same time. Only a jackoff with an agenda would call it a decaying city.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm gonna throw in some pros for XL for @Nebraskan18 since everyone else is throwing cons.
(1) You can drink there; you cannot at Gampel.
(2) For most people in the state (students not included, of course) it's way more accessible, right off I-84.
(3) It's 15 minutes away from J. Timothy.
(4) You can drink there.
More comfortable there, too. If you don't have a chairback seat in Gampel you better be short or stand the entire time.

Reaction Score
Last Saturday Hartford had the annual Blues festival in Bushnell Park, Cirque du Soleil, the Yard Goats and the Dave Matthews Band all performing in Hartford at the same time. Only a jackoff with an agenda would call it a decaying city.

Yesterday’s agenda: get UConn into the Big East

Today’s agenda: move all UConn sports on-campus

Reaction Score
So glad to get my "local" UConn games back in Milwaukee and Chicago. Doesn't hurt that both are playing in new arenas since the last time UConn was there either...

Now for that UConn @ Wisconsin Gavitt Games matchup game 10 minutes down the road from me...
I'll be there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yesterday’s agenda: get UConn into the Big East
Today’s agenda: move all UConn sports on-campus
You miss the point, they are trying to attract fans and increase revenues.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Nobody needs to be convinced that is an upgrade for bball. There have been years where the likes of USF, Tulane or ECU have all had RPIs in the 250-300+ range. This will NEVER happen in the Big East. As we work towards competing for NCAA bids every year we will appreciate that.

I'm still pissed about football though.

It's okay to be both!

Reaction Score
Nova
@ Nova
Providence
@ Providence
St. Johns
@ St. Johns
Seton Hall
@ Seton Hall
Georgetown
@ Georgetown
Marquette
@ Marquette
Butler
@ Butler
Xavier
@ Xavier
Creighton
@ Creighton
Depaul
@ Depaul

And that is EVERY SINGLE YEAR!

I am giddy just writing that out!

In 20-21, our schedule right now looks like it will be:

20 Big East Games
1 Big Ten Game (Gavitt Games)
1 Big 12 Game (Big East - B12 Challenge)
@ Florida
3 Games (Pre-Season Tourney)
5 Cupcake Games
Big East Tourney at MSG
I. Can’t. Wait.

Reaction Score
Nobody needs to be convinced that is an upgrade for bball. There have been years where the likes of USF, Tulane or ECU have all had RPIs in the 250-300+ range. This will NEVER happen in the Big East. As we work towards competing for NCAA bids every year we will appreciate that.

I'm still pissed about football though.

It's okay to be both!
Exactly but for the few whining incessantly in every thread saying they are done with UConn clearly were never UConn fans to begin with.

Reaction Score
The only team I don't care about is Depaul but I care about them more than ECU, Tulane, SMU or Tulsa. I am indifferent to Creighton but still care more about playing them than almost any team in the American other than Temple, Memphis and Cincy. In fact I will legit miss Cincy and Temple a tiny bit.
Doesn’t Depaul have new basketball facilities or a new arena? I’m excited to play them.

Reaction Score
I remember a time back in 2011 going to the Civic Center to watch Kemba play Marquette ( I think we lost), and saying to my wife it’s a shame it’s just Marquette and not Cuse or Georgetown. Now I will slurp up Marquette like a chocolate milkshake! My son lives in Arlington and I used to love seeing us play Gtown down there. Check. The BE tournament was a highlight week for me every year because you had many games and foodspots to plan the week around (and I also have a son in Brooklyn). I know there a many negatives that have been pointed out here but it seems like I just got a new lease on my basketball life. Please don’t rain on this parade.

Maybe it’s not a parade but a funeral procession,
Unfortunately right now we can’t distinguish the difference.

Reaction Score
So glad to get my "local" UConn games back in Milwaukee and Chicago. Doesn't hurt that both are playing in new arenas since the last time UConn was there either...

Now for that UConn @ Wisconsin Gavitt Games matchup game 10 minutes down the road from me...
Oh yeah-I'll definitely make a trip to Madison.....sounds like a great college town that loves their teams

Reaction Score
Reading this thread and, I gotta say, I appreciate our future schedule

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom