Apology to Coach Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Apology to Coach Hurley

Reaction Score
I know you started the thread somewhat facetiously, but still. People act like it’s illegal to criticize the staff or Hurley when bad things happen. I mean tonight was an A+ game, even then, I still think during that weird 10 point stretch Hurley should’ve called a TO. That’s a criticism. But I just want you guys to know its fine to do that, and we all still love UConn as much as the next.
No need to call a timeout when Andre took care of that himself by getting a tech

Reaction Score
I know you started the thread somewhat facetiously, but still. People act like it’s illegal to criticize the staff or Hurley when bad things happen. I mean tonight was an A+ game, even then, I still think during that weird 10 point stretch Hurley should’ve called a TO. That’s a criticism. But I just want you guys to know its fine to do that, and we all still love UConn as much as the next.
Ok but it’s obviously a stupid criticism. We won a sweet 16 game by 33. Some may have panicked then but obviously that was the wrong move to panic and a timeout was completely unnecessary

Which is fine, we all say stuff that’s wrong over the course of the year. If people would take ownership of their demanding firings or key players being benched and the like these threads wouldn’t exist. But many don’t do that

Reaction Score
He has been great so far this tournament, but yeah I agree. Great coaches are made through longevity of excellence. Hurley has shown he has the potential to be such, not quite there yet.
He took Wagner from anonymity to respectability; he turned Rhode Island into a tourney team; he has now turned UConn into a National Championship contender.

And you say he has not proved he is a great coach???

Reaction Score
Don’t forget there’s lots of UConn fans who are also patriots fans that don’t think Bill Bellicheck is a good head coach

Reaction Score
You have a different definition of great. It's semantics.
What active coaches are great? Give me 5. I'll start. Pitino, Izzo, Few. Then... What are your parameters for great. I get it - semantics. Who have been the top 5 coaches (I know - super subjective) in the last 3 years - or something like that. Like, what does it take for you? Is DH an all time great? Clearly NO. Is he great among the other 350+ working right now? He is elite. Does elite = great? If he wins a tourney this year is he great in your estimation? If he goes FF this year and F8 next year? What does it take to be great? He is really F'in good. Maybe a handful are better. Who do you think would have done better cleaning up KO's mess?

Reaction Score
What active coaches are great? Give me 5. I'll start. Pitino, Izzo, Few. Then... What are your parameters for great. I get it - semantics. Who have been the top 5 coaches (I know - super subjective) in the last 3 years - or something like that. Like, what does it take for you? Is DH an all time great? Clearly NO. Is he great among the other 350+ working right now? He is elite. Does elite = great? If he wins a tourney this year is he great in your estimation? If he goes FF this year and F8 next year? What does it take to be great? He is really F'in good. Maybe a handful are better. Who do you think would have done better cleaning up KO's mess?
People consider Few “great” and has the same amount of championships as Hurley

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He has been great so far this tournament, but yeah I agree. Great coaches are made through longevity of excellence. Hurley has shown he has the potential to be such, not quite there yet.
If you're watching it a game at a time, that conversation is fool's Gold.

I want to see this team play really well again, on Saturday night, in the Finals of their second, one-per-week, 4-team tournament in a row.

Reaction Score
where in hell are all these fan boys coming from?

you either have the 2011 join, or you don't. otherwise, go grab your pampers. save the depends for us pros. :eek:

that is all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is! However, pretty much all your post throughout the season have been too. So there’s that! Have a fine day mate!

Okay! Why are we typing like this! If you don't like my posts you can use the ignore button! I promise I won't take it personally! This is the way the mid-20s women with anxiety I supervise email me! Is that you, Kerry!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Please forgive us Coach, for we have sinned. We questioned your tactics for most of the year, not knowing your Master plan was to peak for the tournament; to throw off the other coaches; to make us think we knew more than you with talk of double bigs and the like. You are the Master Chef, blending this team to perfection.

Now about that lifetime contract??

We are sorry.

Nah. He's beat three lower seeds. Yawn.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We? Speak for yourself. All you Hurley hating morons should be banned from Buying tickets
Does everyone who disagrees with your "unique" thoughts automatically become a "hater"? Is that term a label for attacking the messenger instead of their message?

Reaction Score
I don't mind the people that point out warranted criticism of DH. It's the fans that seem to have an agenda or alterior motive for disliking him. The dislike botderline supercedes their love of UConn basketball. They seem to wait for us to lose and revel in any small failure. Everytime we lose, there are a few that say he can't coach or we aren't ever going anywhere with him as coach, and my personal favorite "fire Hurley." Let's not pretend the critical posters and the absurd posters are the same.

Reaction Score
This is cringeworthy. I’ve been a lurker on this forum since it was McD’s Husky Hoops. But I’ll post to let you know what real cringe is.

Who are you?

PS: Being old doesn't make you right. It makes you old. I get reminded of that most days at work.

caw

Reaction Score
He took Wagner from anonymity to respectability; he turned Rhode Island into a tourney team; he has now turned UConn into a National Championship contender.

And you say he has not proved he is a great coach???

He is a very good program builder. Great coach, no, not yet.

Great is a subjective term. I have a very high bar for that term. There are very few great coaches IMO. Even fewer active ones right now in college basketball.

I have never bashed Hurley, though I might have some criticisms of some play here or there. If anything I defend him more than most. He just isn't in the category of great yet.

Do I think he can get there, yes.

Just table it, if you are going to argue this with me, because this is a subjective statement neither opinion can be wrong. If you think he is great, that's fine, your bar for greatness is lower than mine.

Reaction Score
To me its hard to understand why people didn’t see how hurley was going to take uconn back to a elite team … each year we got better and better… the last year CV was here is when we really started rolling…now we got a scary team that’s as good as any team in the country… and a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom