Apology to Coach Hurley | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Apology to Coach Hurley

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This is cringeworthy. I’ve been a lurker on this forum since it was McD’s Husky Hoops. But I’ll post to let you know what real cringe is.

McDs was awesome, but I don't believe he ever had a message board/forum.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
To me its hard to understand why people didn’t see how hurley was going to take uconn back to a elite team … each year we got better and better… the last year CV was here is when we really started rolling…now we got a scary team that’s as good as any team in the country… and a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year

Elite team, perhaps. Hopefully. Probably.

UConn once again becoming an elite program, nah. Not even close. That'll take winning a few conference tournaments, regular season champs, and multiple FFs.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd rather just enjoy this year's run, than pound my hairy chest and scream "UConn is baaaaaack!"

Reaction Score

UConn once again becoming an elite program, nah. Not even close. That'll take winning a few conference tournaments, regular season champs, and multiple FFs.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd rather just enjoy this year's run, than pound my hairy chest and scream "UConn is baaaaaack!"
Practical stance. I agree that we need to do more to become elite again. However, our road back is shorter than most. The table is already set for us in the national consciousness. All we have to do is sit back down.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
All we have to do is sit back down.

All we (UConn) has to do is continue to win. A Final Four this year isn't a deal breaker, but it would be a giant step back to relevancy.

Lose on Sat and this team still had a great year. Win, and it's a big step back to being an elite program.

Reaction Score

How about enjoy this years run.. and scream uconn is back!!!

Reaction Score
All we (UConn) has to do is continue to win. A Final Four this year isn't a deal breaker, but it would be a giant step back to relevancy.

Lose on Sat and this team still had a great year. Win, and it's a big step back to being an elite program.
Especially at a time where the recruiting is already rolling. Selling an elite prospect on being the missing piece to a national championship squad is a heck of a lot easier if you're consistently making runs in the tournament.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone here hates Hurley. But the people who really need to just give up are those who insist that Ollie was just as good.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
'Ollie won a national championship a year after the harsh effects of a post season ban.
With 3 star players he didn’t recruit, then tanked the program all the way down to 180th in the country from there. But I’ll stop the rehashing there and just say that the AD made a smart decision.

Reaction Score
'Ollie won a national championship a year after the harsh effects of a post season ban.
Ollie deserves huge props for 2014. He also deserves the blame for driving the program off a cliff. Both can be true and it explains the mixed feelings. The reasons why and what transpired after I won't speculate on. It's been hashed over enough and we should all just move on. It's in the past. I will always remember the first few years, especially 2014 fondly and be grateful for those.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Ollie deserves huge props for 2014. He also deserves the blame for driving the program off a cliff. Both can be true and it explains the mixed feelings. The reasons why and what transpired after I won't speculate on. It's been hashed over enough and we should all just move on. It's in the past. I will always remember the first few years, especially 2014 fondly and be grateful for those.
Yeah this sums up my view better than I did

Reaction Score
I totally agree with this.. explained perfectly…it’s weird what happened, the only thing i can come up with is…you have to be totally 10 toes in at this level.. it has to be your life 24/7… I think Edsell did the same thing

Reaction Score
Ollie won a national championship! There are many great coaches, Hall of Fame coaches, who never took home a NC. John Chaney, Lou Carnesecca, Gene Keady, Ray Meyer, the list is long, great coaches. Hell, Ollie has as many as Boeheim or John Thompson.

So no one should ever diminish that accomplishment. It is hard, very hard to win a national championship. As a UConn fan the Ollie NC cemented UConn's elite status as a program. Yep, he put his feet up on the dashboard and took a nap after reaching the pinnacle. But he got to a place that every coach who has ever walked the sideline in college basketball longs to be. And that banner will hang where ever UConn plays basketball for as long as UConn plays basketball.

Reaction Score
Ollie won a national championship! There are many great coaches, Hall of Fame coaches, who never took home a NC. John Chaney, Lou Carnesecca, Gene Keady, Ray Meyer, the list is long, great coaches. Hell, Ollie has as many as Boeheim or John Thompson.

So no one should ever diminish that accomplishment. It is hard, very hard to win a national championship. As a UConn fan the Ollie NC cemented UConn's elite status as a program. Yep, he put his feet up on the dashboard and took a nap after reaching the pinnacle. But he got to a place that every coach who has ever walked the sideline in college basketball longs to be. And that banner will hang where ever UConn plays basketball for as long as UConn plays basketball.
The 2014 national championship was the most masterful job of coaching i have ever seen

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Please forgive us Coach, for we have sinned. We questioned your tactics for most of the year, not knowing your Master plan was to peak for the tournament; to throw off the other coaches; to make us think we knew more than you with talk of double bigs and the like. You are the Master Chef, blending this team to perfection.

Now about that lifetime contract??

We are sorry.
Quickest way to get likes.
I am not a DH lover or even a fan BUT his demeanor this last half of the season has earned respect from me. It has been settling to some of the players and you can sense it. It’s obvious that he has been listening to somebody.
He won 3 games this tournament, the 1st two were expected victories and DH needed them on his resume. The victory over Arkansas was a beat down and would have been better if the team can handle a press. Kudos to the staff and team for the great effort yesterday. Let’s keep it going.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My take on the forum echoes Bilbo Baggins. "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

No one here needs to apologize for who they are.

This is the way!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My take on the forum echoes Bilbo Baggins. "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

No one here needs to apologize for who they are.

This is the way!
Be like water my friend

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The 2014 national championship was the most masterful job of coaching i have ever seen
A lot of this comes down to the players, their defensive intensity, their desire to win. That is Hurley’s calling card, defense. In today’s world of transfers, NIL and whatnot it’s not as automatic to dominate based on straight up recruiting. Our staff seems to know what to do though, huh?

Reaction Score
There are two types of fans here. Ones that see what can go wrong, and ones that see what can go right. It’s that simple. But i Believe 90% of us love UConn and want the same thing

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While I have had some criticisms of Danny Hurley, I never reached the level that a few on this board have (complaining that he's turned all officials against us, wondering if he could ever win a game in the big dance, calling for his firing 20 minutes into our current tournament run), I am happy for him with the success in this tournament but one truth is I'm happier for me. I'm loving every second of this run and I don't mind admitting that I'm being quite selfish about it

One thing DH deserves as massive amount of credit for is a year ago he had a vision of what he wanted this team to be, went out, designed the pieces he had and added a few additional pieces to fit that vision and committed to following through on that I'm sure that I am not alone in having questioned some of this vision and I imagine I am also not alone in having been pleasantly surprised with what we saw early in the season on how well his vision could work. He has his team playing in a manner that he believes is the best way for this group to win and is proving that it works This cannot be understated.

That said, he still isn't my favorite Hurley....

She is
wpiewltcmqd41.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom