Apology to Coach Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Apology to Coach Hurley

Reaction Score
Please forgive us Coach, for we have sinned. We questioned your tactics for most of the year, not knowing your Master plan was to peak for the tournament; to throw off the other coaches; to make us think we knew more than you with talk of double bigs and the like. You are the Master Chef, blending this team to perfection.

Now about that lifetime contract??

We are sorry.
Nahhhh I'm not apologizing I've always said he was a great coach. We lose a game or 2 and 90% of all fan bases want the coaches fired. Hurley proved he's a GREAT coach. Win or lose the rest of the way they exceeded all expectations.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if the "Hurley Haters" stuff from him is worse, or the getting a hard on at the mention of the smell of XL Center fryer grease.
It’s just so sad that immediately after a huge win like this some posters go back and think “Hey, let’s start an argument with our own fans for no reason.” Just annoying. Criticism is allowed and warranted at some points. Get over it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Please forgive us Coach, for we have sinned. We questioned your tactics for most of the year, not knowing your Master plan was to peak for the tournament; to throw off the other coaches; to make us think we knew more than you with talk of double bigs and the like. You are the Master Chef, blending this team to perfection.

Now about that lifetime contract??

We are sorry.

Jump on in, the water is warm :)

Reaction Score
I never thought you were a Hurley hater. Not even close. Your criticism all year has been fair, I guess I was just waiting for you to finally pop a cork for him.

I pop a cork for players, and generally refuse to particupate in some of the criticism we see on here. I like seeing the players succeed. That's why I gush over them. Hurley can take some criticism in his 5 million $ home.

I coached and played for too long to get too high or low about a coach. I don't make judgments quickly unless I'm venting in the chat (lol). He deserves kudos for putting a spanking on a future HOF'er and Musselman, but lightning in a bottle is easy. Sustained success is much harder, and I'm not saying "great" until then. I said to pump the brakes on the Ollie lifetime contract crap after his natty too.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This is also cringeworthy.

Great by what standard? He is no Calhoun, Pitino or Wright. I don't think he's great yet. I don't think he's coached long enough to be great no matter.how successful. Is Hurley very good? Yup. Have I said that for years? Also yup.

No, he's Dan Hurley

Our next legendary coach, in his own way, he's his own man

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No need to respond. People think if you even questioned a single decision Hurley made in his tenure, you’re a hater. It’s pointless to try and continue dialogue.
I'm not sure if the "Hurley Haters" stuff from him is worse, or the getting a hard on at the mention of the smell of XL Center fryer grease.
Get a room, you guys.

Reaction Score

Great by what standard? He is no Calhoun, Pitino or Wright. I don't think he's great yet. I don't think he's coached long enough to be great no matter.how successful. Is Hurley very good? Yup. Have I said that for years? Also yup.
I really enjoy your posts - I find them really informed but I think you are missing the mark hard here. "Great by what standard?" - Here is the standard I am proposing - active contemporary coaches. there are 350 or so programs. How many coaches can you honestly say are doing a better job than he is now - or more succinctly, would have had Uconn in the elite 8 a year or two earlier or already won a ship? He has turned this program around. It was emaciated and floundering. In his 18th year as a head coach at D1 Calhoun got to the Elite 8. It is true that he got Uconn to the elite 8 in his 4th year while DH took 5 years. Was JC a great coach only after his 3rd NC? After his 2nd? If DH gets a NC this year, then is he great? What is your standard? Does he have to win 2 NCs and coach another 15 years? Edit - And you were right - the OP is\was definitely cringeworthy.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
OMG. You're going to be on here on April 3 at 11:45pm after UConn cuts down the nets and will STILL be putting Hurley down!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you missed the joke...

Reaction Score
Hurley has been excellent this year besides January, (maybe early February?). Chief is correct. The officiating is different

Reaction Score
I really enjoy your posts - I find them really informed but I think you are missing the mark hard here. "Great by what standard?" - Here is the standard I am proposing - active contemporary coaches. there are 350 or so programs. How many coaches can you honestly say are doing a better job than he is now - or more succinctly, would have had Uconn in the elite 8 a year or two earlier or already won a ship? He has turned this program around. It was emaciated and floundering. In his 18th year as a head coach at D1 Calhoun got to the Elite 8. It is true that he got Uconn to the elite 8 in his 4th year while DH took 5 years. Was JC a great coach only after his 3rd NC? After his 2nd? If DH gets a NC this year, then is he great? What is your standard? Does he have to win 2 NCs and coach another 15 years? Edit - And you were right - the OP is\was definitely cringeworthy.

You have a different definition of great. It's semantics.

Reaction Score
Wait ... @husky429's first comment to this well intentioned thread was "cringeworthy". That's not playing nice
I know you started the thread somewhat facetiously, but still. People act like it’s illegal to criticize the staff or Hurley when bad things happen. I mean tonight was an A+ game, even then, I still think during that weird 10 point stretch Hurley should’ve called a TO. That’s a criticism. But I just want you guys to know its fine to do that, and we all still love UConn as much as the next.

Reaction Score
I know you started the thread somewhat facetiously, but still. People act like it’s illegal to criticize the staff or Hurley when bad things happen. I mean tonight was an A+ game, even then, I still think during that weird 10 point stretch Hurley should’ve called a TO. That’s a criticism. But I just want you guys to know its fine to do that, and we all still love UConn as much as the next.
Let’s calm down.

It’s premature to praise Hurley as the second coming of Calhoun, and just as premature to bury him as Ollie 2.0.

Relax, and enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
I pop a cork for players, and generally refuse to particupate in some of the criticism we see on here. I like seeing the players succeed. That's why I gush over them. Hurley can take some criticism in his 5 million $ home.

I coached and played for too long to get too high or low about a coach. I don't make judgments quickly unless I'm venting in the chat (lol). He deserves kudos for putting a spanking on a future HOF'er and Musselman, but lightning in a bottle is easy. Sustained success is much harder, and I'm not saying "great" until then. I said to pump the brakes on the Ollie lifetime contract crap after his natty too.
Well said. I know where you're coming from. Also, You've been a big voice in shutting down the individual player trashing.

Reaction Score
I didn't start the thread. I talk with @husky429 a bunch on here. I never had an issue with how he critiqued Hurley. I was busting his balls. All good

Reaction Score
I didn't start the thread. I talk with @husky429 a bunch on here. I never had an issue with how he critiqued Hurley. I was busting his balls. All good
My bad, thought you did haha. All love on my end, just defending us fans who do criticize from time to time.

Nothing at all to criticize now though. HUGE WIN!

Reaction Score

Dude he’s exceeded your expectations for this year. By leaps and bounds. It’s OK to revel in the fun. It’s also gonna get even better from here. I don’t think any less of you.

Reaction Score

This is cringeworthy. I’ve been a lurker on this forum since it was McD’s Husky Hoops. But I’ll post to let you know what real cringe is.

Reaction Score
;);)I pop a cork for players, and generally refuse to particupate in some of the criticism we see on here. I like seeing the players succeed. That's why I gush over them. Hurley can take some criticism in his 5 million $ home.

Moving the goalposts now :):);)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom