AP Top 25 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP Top 25

Reaction Score
That was last year. This is this year.

Believe me, I'm not doing jumping jacks over UConn's November and December slate. But MSU's schedule this year is embarrassing.

(As a side note, those Massey SOS rankings are including the postseason. MSU's SOS surely gained an extra boost from playing Oregon again, even if they lost.)
Yes, but you mentioned he should have learned from last year's schedule, which I noted was similar in strength to UConn's.

Uconn gained a larger boost playing both Louisville and Notre Dame again in the post season than Mississippi State did playing Oregon.

I agree that Vic should get rid of the extremely low RPI teams. I think both Uconn and MSU should have played 7-8 top-25 teams by the end of conference play.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes, but you mentioned he should have learned from last year's schedule, which I noted was similar in strength to UConn's.

Uconn gained a larger boost playing both Louisville and Notre Dame again in the post season than Mississippi State did playing Oregon.

I agree that Vic should get rid of the extremely low RPI teams. I think both Uconn and MSU should have played 7-8 top-25 teams by the end of conference play.
I wasn't thrilled about UConn's nonconference schedule last year either. Outside of the 3 games against ND, Baylor and Louisville, there was precious little to look at. Wins over Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, St. Louis, Seton Hall, and Oklahoma did UConn's resume no favors.

Even then, and despite the weakness of the AAC, UConn's numbers were still markedly better than MSU's:

UConn: overall SOS #30, nonconference SOS #31
MSU: overall SOS #46, nonconference SOS #78

I'm sorry, but there's just no excuse for an elite program to have the #78 nonconference SOS, even if they did come from the best conference, which is certainly not the case with the SEC.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
New rankings out.
Arizona joins at #24 while Michigan drops off.

Tennessee, on the strength of its program-defining win over Stetson, vaults over South Florida, who had the audacity to lose by 12 to Baylor in Waco.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tennessee, on the strength of its program-defining win over Stetson, vaults over South Florida, who had the audacity to lose by 12 to Baylor in Waco.

I didnt have them ranked :rolleyes:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee will probably move up next poll. Syracuse will probably lose to Oregon.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's some special blend of comical and pathetic that the Tennessee fans are giddily cheering for their team to climb the rankings by beating the likes of Stetson, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and Air Force.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Tennessee will probably move up next poll. Syracuse will probably lose to Oregon.
I, too, guarantee that Syracuse will lose to Oregon in the Dome. :) :rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's really ridiculous that Arkansas is still ranked and South Dakota isn't.

(Of course, watch SD lose to Missouri State just as I say that.)

Reaction Score
The problem with early team rankings is that perception is hard to shake. Teams that are initially ranked high are at an advantage if they lose a game. Voters tend to drop ranked teams more slowly than they will raise unranked team upward. Arizona should have been ranked instead of Arizona St. Had they been they would not have had to work themselves up as they are doing now even at 6-0. Perception often trumps reality.

Reaction Score

There would be no shame to SD if they lost to a very good Missouri State team.

Reaction Score
The AP Poll is my least favorite of the group of polls. I think the coaches poll is better. I think the Boneyard Poll is even better.

Reaction Score

I just ponied up for ESPN+ so I can watch this game today. Also plan on watching the MSU vs Marquette game.

Reaction Score

Drake, Missouri State, Gonzaga, and South Dakota should all be ranked before Arkansas, Tennessee, and others. You might even argue for Western Kentucky.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
The AP Poll is my least favorite of the group of polls. I think the coaches poll is better. I think the Boneyard Poll is even better.

Can I vote in the Boneyard poll?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Can I vote in the Boneyard poll?

Too bad you weren't around a few weeks ago...... we could have worked out a deal to get Duke more than 1 vote in the preseason poll.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Too bad you weren't around a few weeks ago...... we could have worked out a deal to get Duke more than 1 vote in the preseason poll.

Too bad I couldn't remember my password!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom