AP Top 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Top 25

Reaction Score
Looks I win this week, Plebe.

Not only do we play 7 Top 25 teams, but now we play 8 with West Virginia squeezing into the top 25.

SimpleDawg,

Some people want “other” teams to schedule gauntlet OOC schedule and play a tough in conference.

Some teams have to schedule the tough 5-6 OOC games, because the in conference games are snoozers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm just saying we have lots of room to make up ground. We're gonna start with a bad RPI, but we'll surely start to raise is slowly - that's always been the case for our team. We also have the SEC tournament. Playing 3 mediocre teams in the SEC tournament is not the norm - last year was an exception. I doubt you'll ever see that again. It's quite likely we'll collect 2 more top 25 wins in the SEC tourney.

It is doubtful that USF and WV will be there by year's end, but there's a lot of teams that are doubtful to still remain by year's end. Depaul, Michigan, Miami, Syracuse, i.e. are some good bets there, imo.

But once again, you completely miss my point and your snide wit never misses a second.
I'll choose to ignore the ad hominem stuff and focus on the topic.

I'm sorry, the SEC is not that strong after the top 3. For every TAMU and SC, there's also a Florida and Alabama (and Ole Miss, and ...). Suffice it to say it's no Pac-12. And even if it were, none of these rationalizations are an excuse for having 75% of the nonconference games against junior high-caliber teams.

Right now I'm watching multiple MSU players being "guarded" by players that are a foot shorter. I suppose that's great for pumping up stats and giving the home fans a hoot and a holler, but it hardly prepares the team to play Stanford out on the Pacific coast. One would think Vic and his fans would've learned this lesson from what happened last year from getting schooled twice by Oregon. Not to mention it's a complete disservice to the sport.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
The SEC is not what it use to be

Its actually not very good outside the top few teams. The bottom half of the conference is laughably bad.
Ah, I admire you for being able to handle the truth and not fearing to speak it ;)

Reaction Score
Ah, I admire you for being able to handle the truth and not fearing to speak it ;)

Im man enough to admit it. SEC use to be a very strong conference when looking at it top to bottom. Quite a few programs have taken a slide over the years. It can get back to being really good again but there will need to be some coaching shakeups. It all starts at the top. Too many poorly run programs in the conference right now.

That isn't to say there aren't good teams in the SEC.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry, the SEC is not that strong after the top 3. For every TAMU and SC, there's also a Florida and Alabama (and Ole Miss, and ...). Suffice it to say it's no Pac-12. And even if it were, none of these rationalizations are an excuse for having 75% of the nonconference games against junior high-caliber teams.

Right now I'm watching multiple MSU players being "guarded" by players that are a foot shorter. I suppose that's great for pumping up stats and giving the home fans a hoot and a holler, but it hardly prepares the team to play Stanford out on the Pacific coast. One would think Vic and his fans would've learned this lesson from what happened last year from getting schooled twice by Oregon. Not to mention it's a complete disservice to the sport.

It's a disservice for you to post blatant falsehoods. Other than the centers for MSU, Troy is just as tall. If all their tall girls are fouling and riding the pine it doesn't change the fact they have three 6'2" girls, and 4 more 5'11" and 6'.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score

I'm sorry, the SEC is not that strong to begin with after the top 3. For every TAMU and SC, there's also a Florida and Alabama (and Ole Miss, and ...). Suffice it to say it's no Pac-12. And even if it were, none of these rationalizations are an excuse for having 75% of the nonconference games against junior high-caliber teams.

Right now I'm watching multiple MSU players being "guarded" by players that are a foot shorter. I suppose that's great for pumping up stats and giving the home fans a hoot and a holler, but it hardly prepares the team to play Stanford in on the Pacific coast. One would think Vic and his fans would've learned this lesson from what happened last year from getting schooled twice by Oregon. Not to mention it's a complete disservice to the sport.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I also don't think playing Troy and Murray State prepares us for anything, and things can change in a jiffy once a strong opponent comes around with quicker hands and superior athleticism than the opponents we're bullying right now. I just think this topic has been beat to death, and collectively bashing Vic for weak scheduling at this point is tiring. I'm not taking it personally - but I just think you're holding him to higher standards than what Mississippi State fans are holding him to. I just don't understand why some people are so upset by our schedule.

And I also think you're celebrating Oregon's "schooling" us last year too much. Even some Ducks fans claim MSU and Oregon were close to equals last year. We dominated them in Starkville far worse than they beat us last year both times. Again, Oregon was greatly improved last year and they were absolutely on against us both nights and it's not hard to see where their strengths were. (shooting, passing across the court, fast whiffs to Hebard for easy points, playing away from McCowan, leaving Holmes wide open while getting 2 on McCowan).

Your point is fair though - and it's certainly an interesting thought. We'll see if Vic has learned anything from Oregon last year. Obviously it's too late to change our schedule, but we'll see if he's changed his gameplans against West Coast teams at least. Starting in the Stanford game. (if we both take care of our first 2 opponents.)

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's a disservice for you to post blatant falsehoods. Other than the centers for MSU, Troy is just as tall. If all their tall girls are fouling and riding the pine it doesn't change the fact they have three 6'2" girls, and 4 more 5'11" and 6'.
With all respect, you haven't carefully read what I wrote nor do you seem to appreciate the rhetorical effect of hyperbole.

I didn't examine the roster. I used my eyeballs to see players at armpit height of other players.

Reaction Score
You were bashing once again. You just like to spin things to try and prove a point. It gets old. Thanks for watching MSU basketball.

Reaction Score
You were bashing once again. You just like to spin things to try and prove a point. It gets old. Thanks for watching MSU basketball.

I don’t mind criticism, because some of Vic’s decisions late in games have been questionable. But its non-stop criticism on any subject.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'll take that as a compliment, thanks. One man's bashing is another man's truth-telling. I'm not here to kiss babies and win office. For sunshine and rainbows and puppy dogs I would imagine the MSU board might be a better place.

In all seriousness, I have been on record complimenting Vic Schaefer repeatedly. He's more than proven himself to be an elite coach and developer of talent. I go after him hard because he's good. If he sucked I wouldn't bother.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that Plebe won't be invited to any pregame tailgating in Starkville anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Would love to tailgate with most anyone. We only reserve tailgating ire for Ole Miss and Alabama. And half of their fans aren't that bad. But when your all within 90 miles of each other it can be rough.

Reaction Score
Why so much chatter about scheduling? It is what it is! The magical RPI will sort it all out.

Reaction Score
You're really trying to make hay this week when two of MSU's nonconference opponents hold very tenuous positions in the bottom rungs of the poll. Doubtful that USF and WV will be there at season's end.

Just give it up and embrace the fact that your coach is a soft scheduler.

1574158329780.png

Reaction Score
I was looking at conferences...

The Big East has DePaul ranked....nobody else

The AAC has USF after UConn...

The SEC does have five ranked at present. Not shabby, but it is early.

Reaction Score
SimpleDawg,

Some people want “other” teams to schedule gauntlet OOC schedule and play a tough in conference.

Some teams have to schedule the tough 5-6 OOC games, because the in conference games are snoozers.

And some coaches schedule tough OOC games because that's what they do, regardless of their conference games. As evidence, Geno when he was in the Big East with Rutgers, Notre Dame and Louisville.

Reaction Score

Massey ranked UConn's SOS 10 and Mississippi State's 14. The difference was not that large last year, even when the SEC was way down. Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, and UCLA all played tougher schedules than UConn did.

You're coming at a team who played a schedule that was, per Massey, within five places from UConn's last season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Massey ranked UConn's SOS 10 and Mississippi State's 14. The difference was not that large last year, even when the SEC was way down. Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, and UCLA all played tougher schedules than UConn did.

You're coming at a team who played a schedule that was, per Massey, within five places from UConn's last season.
That was last year. This is this year.

Believe me, I'm not doing jumping jacks over UConn's November and December slate. But MSU's schedule this year is embarrassing.

(As a side note, those Massey SOS rankings are including the postseason. MSU's SOS surely gained an extra boost from playing Oregon again, even if they lost.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom