AP Top 25 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

AP Top 25

Reaction Score
Ok, before the weekend games, let's reset:
Will the voters actually review the games this week and realize that Tenn and Arkansas do not belong in the top 25 despite losing to team in the top 10? Will they also realize even with Elizabeth Balogun, Louisville is in the 6-8 range? Will Northwestern get some love this week?
For the weekend carnage, I think ASU is in trouble, 2 more losses coming courtesy of their visit to the Northwest and they should drop out of top 25 discussion (8 losses). Arizona will also encounter 2 losses but should stay in the top 25. Kentucky without Howard, is in for a battle with Arkansas.

My point in all this is to see FGCU and Princeton earn their way into the voters consciousness.
The top ten is getting more difficult to predict. There are simply not that many dominant teams. Obviously Louisville drops but who is really worthy to jump in their spot. The teams behind them also have issues.

Reaction Score
They have Princeton ranked at #26, so that’s not exactly a total lack of awareness.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't see any teams outside the top 25 that are particularly deserving...
Of course an SEC fan has to defend his two undeserving teams on this list, so your perspective is deemed to be a tad biased. Do you really think Tenn is a top 25 team? Based on your whooping of Arkansas last night, that’s also apparent they are suspect.
using RPI, Massey metrics which VOTERS should be using as tools in their kit of evaluating teams,Massey has them at 29/28 and RPI is 42 and 46. Give me an example of ANY good win either of these schools have had this year?
No offense here Gamecock but do you actually look at any of the analytics or is this just using your perception?

Reaction Score
Of course an SEC fan has to defend his two undeserving teams on this list, so your perspective is deemed to be a tad biased. Do you really think Tenn is a top 25 team? Based on your whooping of Arkansas last night, that’s also apparent they are suspect.
using RPI, Massey metrics which VOTERS should be using as tools in their kit of evaluating teams,Massey has them at 29/28 and RPI is 42 and 46. Give me an example of ANY good win either of these schools have had this year?
No offense here Gamecock but do you actually look at any of the analytics or is this just using your perception?

South Carolina is delivering a lot of whoopings.

who is really deserving? Florida gulf coast?

I Really don't much care either way.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
South Carolina is delivering a lot of whoopings.

who is really deserving? Florida gulf coast?

I Really don't much care either way.
Then if you don’t care why are you posting comments without support of that belief?
When I don’t care about a thread, I either make a joke or ignore it.
So basically you’re here to tout your team and not contribute to the better consciousness of the forum...got it. Disappointed but got it...

Reaction Score
Then if you don’t care why are you posting comments without support of that belief?
So basically you’re here to tout your team and not contribute to the better consciousness of the forum...got it. Disappointed but got it...

I didn't say a word about Arkansas or Tennessee. That is something you brought up.

if you want to put TCU and Princeton in their place that's fine with me.

They haven't really beaten anyone either, but maybe it's their turn to be featured.

the only point I made was by the time you get to the bottom of the 25 and beyond you can nitpick anyone.

how badly South Carolina beat Arkansas is besides the point though. Any of the top 3 are likely to drill anyone you would like to place at 25.

Reaction Score

what I didn't care about much was whether the sec teams are ranked or not.

I'll probably do a top 25 after Monday night.

I probably would not have ranked Arkansas this week.

I may not rank Tennessee(probably not) though I don't think my view of them has changed much based on their losses this week.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
#6 now. :) :)

Feb 10, 2020 AP Poll
1 South Carolina South Carolina(27)22-1747-
2Baylor(3)21-1716-
3Oregon22-2697-
4NC State22-16243
5UConn20-26221
6 Mississippi State Mississippi State22-36052
7UCLA21-25763
8Stanford21-35472
9Louisville21-35064
10Maryland20-44503
11Oregon State19-54282
12Arizona19-4426-
13DePaul22-33821
14Florida State20-43683
15Gonzaga23-23244
16Texas A&M18-5251-
17Iowa20-42433
18Kentucky18-52213
19Northwestern19-31912
20Indiana19-61762
21South Dakota22-21461
22Arizona State16-81283
23Arkansas19-51182
24Missouri State20-3106-
25Tennessee17-6472

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Some head scratchers here - Arizona just beat Oregon State and has the better record, but they're below them, and MSU ahead of Stanford with identical records and Stanford having the neutral court win and MSU's only "signature" wins are to two highly overrated SEC teams.

Also, NC State over UConn is LOL. Do these folks just look at the number of losses and go from there? I would be shocked if either the Zags or A&M host given their recent losses.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Some head scratchers here - Arizona just beat Oregon State and has the better record, but they're below them, and MSU ahead of Stanford with identical records and Stanford having the neutral court win and MSU's only "signature" wins are to two highly overrated SEC teams.

Also, NC State over UConn is LOL. Do these folks just look at the number of losses and go from there? I would be shocked if either the Zags or A&M host given their recent losses.

I understand your argument, but advantage favors teams on a winning streak, which NcState and MSU currently has. Zags are a #5 seed if you ask me. And NcState deserves to be above UConn. Both not strong schedules, but that one less loss has them very slightly with 2 more votes... it's understandable.

UCLA is the team that deserves to be higher if you ask me.

Reaction Score

The two point difference in the poll points indicates that Arizona and OSU are virtually tied. The voters may have factored in the beatdown Arizona suffered in Eugene. The Wildcats weren't competitive for more than a half in that game on Friday.

Reaction Score

NC State T50W Maryland (5), Florida St (20) Texas (28)
Va Tech x 2 (30), UNC (36), Duke (38)
L: UNC (36)

UCONN: W: DePaul (17), Tennessee (31), Ohio State (34)
L: Baylor (1), Oregon (2)

You can see what you want to see with that one. NC State only has the one loss, which it avenged. And more high quality wins.

I'd probably pick UCONN if they were playing, but I did rate them ahead of UCONN. Also, NC State faces Louisville and UCONN faces South Carolina next. Results of those two games will inform much.

I kept Miss State behind Stanford, because of the head to head.

I also had Arizona ahead of Oregon State.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Not really LOL... its only a 2 point difference. Its not like UConn has done that much more than NC State so far this season. Let the record show that I had Uconn # 4, Stanford # 5, and State #6, in my BY Poll.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
#6 now. :) :)

Feb 10, 2020 AP Poll
1 South Carolina South Carolina(27)22-1747-
2Baylor(3)21-1716-
3Oregon22-2697-
4NC State22-16243
5UConn20-26221
6 Mississippi State Mississippi State22-36052
7UCLA21-25763
8Stanford21-35472
9Louisville21-35064
10Maryland20-44503
11Oregon State19-54282
12Arizona19-4426-
13DePaul22-33821
14Florida State20-43683
15Gonzaga23-23244
16Texas A&M18-5251-
17Iowa20-42433
18Kentucky18-52213
19Northwestern19-31912
20Indiana19-61762
21South Dakota22-21461
22Arizona State16-81283
23Arkansas19-51182
24Missouri State20-3106-
25Tennessee17-6472
Mississippi State once again putting on a master class of how to climb up the rankings without any truly good wins and despite one pretty bad loss.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Mississippi State once again putting on a master class of how to climb up thma

I knew you'd chime in with that. Can't get anything past you.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I knew you'd chime in with that. Can't get anything past you.
Is reliability a virtue? :D

To be fair, I have UConn ranked lower on my ballot than most people. I don't quite share the rosy view with some others.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
While I certainly have been arguing about RPI for those who feel their teams or teams from their conference are deserving an invite to the NCAA while feasting on the lower echelons of the D1 teams. There is an also an eye test of the teams that need to be assessed. Louisville had not been playing great and just because you win, doesn't mean you should always move up in a poll. Likewise if you play a really good team doesn't mean you should move down in a poll substantially.
To me, NC State, while I am a fan, is not a top 4 team. Head to head against any of the top 8 and they will lose.
They have played far too many close games against mediocre teams in the ACC. Both Louisville and NC State belong 8-9-10 range.
Miss Stat is also too high based on how they are playing their games and should be behind Stanford, UCLA. Speaking of UCLA, they did well against Stanford, who really seems to be missing Haley Jones (never mind Dodson or Carrington) but yet almost lost to Cal yesterday and probably should have. As note, if there are officials who will call holding, pushing and shoving, UCLA and Onyenwere/Miller could be in trouble. Same goes for Arizona, who while on a nice little run, is still suspect a bit and has Stanford left to keep asserting itself.
OSU, is still a really good team but will be stuck in this part of the poll due to the losses. Maryland for it's resurgence, still has gaps and issues I think are susceptible to a good x's and o's coach to exploit.

While we all think UConn is in that mix with Stanford/UCLA and better than NC State, Louisville, MSU, Maryland, tonight would be a good time to have a really good and close game to validate our bias.

Fortunately, the BigEast schedule next year will offer some reprieve on the RPI and will have the metrics to back the eye test.
From a bottom half of the Top 25, Iowa and Northwestern seem underrated while once again, the SEC is overrated with Kentuck, A&M, Tenn and Arkansas getting votes that are more deserving to Missouri State, Princeton and Florida Gulf Coast.

Reaction Score
Miss State is a great team but probably too high should stay around 9-10 right now. If they would have pulled off the SC upset, definitely would have them up there though.

Let’s be real. Only reason A&M is still in the top 25 was because of what carter did leading up to her injury. The current squad without her isn’t that great. Kentucky is solid but they are grossly over rated. I guess the voters are blown away by that Tennessee win

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

To be fair, I have UConn ranked lower on my ballot than most people. I don't quite share the rosy view with some others.

This was one week where I was thinking that maybe the BY poll could be pushed back one day. Depending how they look tonight .... Connecticut might have dropped even lower.... 8? I gave them the benefit of the doubt on this ballot.

Plebe

Reaction Score
This was one week where I was thinking that maybe the BY poll could be pushed back one day. Depending how they look tonight .... Connecticut might have dropped even lower.... 8? I gave them the benefit of the doubt on this ballot.
I've considered this in the past before big Monday games, but I'd like to keep the schedule consistent and I'd also like to minimize the influence of the AP poll that comes out every Monday.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score

I have MSU #9. Below Stanford and UCLA definitely. Below NcState mostly because they have only 1 loss.

And..... if UConn loses to South Carolina I don't think there's much of a difference between their resume compared to the resumes of ANY other top 10 member. And the worst thing is they have no more opportunities to improve on that.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I have MSU #9. Below Stanford and UCLA definitely. Below NcState mostly because they have only 1 loss.

And..... if UConn loses to South Carolina I don't think there's much of a difference between their resume compared to the resumes of ANY other top 10 member. And the worst thing is they have no more opportunities to improve on that.
Tell me about it :oops:

If nothing else it'll make for an interesting test case to see what the committee does with it. I'm not optimistic in that scenario.

Reaction Score
...as long as UConn gets to play 1st and 2nd rounds at Gampel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom