AP Preseason Poll Thread - Revisited | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Preseason Poll Thread - Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This year it's at home, thank goodness.

The last time Tenn and RU played at the RAC was in the '07-'08 season. RU led Tenn at the half 33-13 and was outscored by Tenn 42-18 in the 2nd half. Tenn won 55-51. CViv was fuming after that game too.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Im ok with the rankings. You have to have ND in the top because of where they finished last year and what they have returning. Now, thats not to say ND will end up ranked there. The season is going to be very interesting. There is much parity this season and many OCC games that will help.

Not so sure Tennessee should be that high nor do I think they will finish that high. I hope ND, Rutgers, Stanford and Baylor all stomp them.

GO UCONN!!!!

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
The last time Tenn and RU played at the RAC was in the '07-'08 season. RU led Tenn at the half 33-13 and was outscored by Tenn 42-18 in the 2nd half. Tenn won 55-51. CViv was fuming after that game too.

Did you have to bring up that game? I was trying to forget. :p Hopefully RU can get over the hump and finally beat Tennessee.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Did you have to bring up that game? I was trying to forget. :p Hopefully RU can get over the hump and finally beat Tennessee.

Sorry. There should be lots of motivation to turn the tide against Tenn. I'll definitely be rooting for RU.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I personally can't wait until the 12/13 game between Tenn & Rutgers at the RAC. It's gonna be good!
i think RU is talented for sure - a couple of good classes have really solid freshmen especially and a good j unior class. i think Daisha Simmons is your only sophomore? anyway, losing Lee hurts. i don't think RU beats tennessee this year, but after tenn loses their 5 seniors i could see RU beating them next year. how does your roster break down at the moment?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
i think RU is talented for sure - a couple of good classes have really solid freshmen especially and a good j unior class. i think Daisha Simmons is your only sophomore? anyway, losing Lee hurts. i don't think RU beats tennessee this year, but after tenn loses their 5 seniors i could see RU beating them next year. how does your roster break down at the moment?

Daisha transfered to Bama. We have no sophomores.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I personally can't wait until the 12/13 game between Tenn & Rutgers at the RAC. It's gonna be good!
Too bad you won't have Chelsea Lee for that game. She would really give you a big edge up front.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Didn't someone else go with her??

Hutchen also transferred to Bama. But imo she was filler for the roster last year, and really neither would be getting much playing time this season.

Reaction Score
  • Stanford lost their best (read: most important) player imo from last year in Pohlen, who was also their emotional/spiritual leader. They lost a ton of experience and outside scoring as well (Pohlen, Pederson). They lose the Pederson mismatch which was huge in matching up against other teams. Can Nneka or some of their lesser perimeter players step up in the leadership front?
Pohlen was great, but Pedersen was our most important player and leader. She started every game during her Stanford career and played the 2, 3 and 4. Her versatility and boarding, and 3 pt shooting will not be replaced by any current Cardinal. Nneka, Lindy, and Chiney will be leaders.

Reaction Score
To put it simple, " Let the Games Begin", who's left standing in the end counts the most.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A perennial preseason Top 25 team missing from this year's poll is.................Ohio State. Espn shows that Ohio State came in 26th in total votes. http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1

The Buckeyes do still have Sammy but no more Jantel.

Others receiving votes: Ohio St. 118, Michigan St. 95, Gonzaga 57, Texas Tech 41, Green Bay 32, Iowa 20, California 19, Georgia Tech 17, Kansas St. 15, Iowa St. 12, Xavier 6, Dayton 4, Marist 4, Temple 4, Vanderbilt 4, Florida 2, Oral Roberts 2, Delaware 1, Marquette 1, Pittsburgh 1.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Im ok with the rankings. You have to have ND in the top because of where they finished last year and what they have returning. Now, thats not to say ND will end up ranked there. The season is going to be very interesting. There is much parity this season and many OCC games that will help.

Not so sure Tennessee should be that high nor do I think they will finish that high. I hope ND, Rutgers, Stanford and Baylor all stomp them.

DD, here's my reasoning:

We have questions every year. They usually get resolved. Other than Baylor and ND, everyone else has even bigger questions.

We have as much talent as anyone, the best coaches, and the mist competitive kids.

Assessing the frosh may take a little more faith than reason, but I agree that Brianna will be very, very good and think that KML will be a top 3-5 player in UConn history.

GO UCONN!!!!
THAT is "reason"? I'm sure there are many posters here that would think you are posting "pie in the sky" stuff.

That being said, I totally agree with you. I would add that I am of the mind that Doty will contribute 20+ minutes a game, between Buck, Johnson and Stokes, the backup for the 4/5 when Uconn needs to go big will be handled well, and Banks will give KML a run for BE FOY.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
W
Hutchen also transferred to Bama. But imo she was filler for the roster last year, and really neither would be getting much playing time this season.

with Lee out for the season, who do you think will get those starter minutes?

Reaction Score
With Purdue losing Drey Mingo to an ACL, they'll likely drop a bit and Penn State looks like a clear favorite in the Big Ten.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well the two top teams in WCBB are in order and IMO UConn and Baylor. ND TAM and Stanford are the next top teams.UConns tuff schedule could hurt them as other teams are playing a less competitive schedule. Just the name UConn strikes doubt in most players, its only human. My thoughts on why I choose UConn as number 1. I feel Baylors Griner is feared because of her height and shot blocking ability. Tina dominated Griner and I feel Stef is a much smarter player then Griner. ND imo dosnt have an answer for Stef. They didnt last year....except for the ref that got her in foul trouble in the FF and they dont have an answer for her this season. TAM does have Bone and a great class back and Stanford is always talented with the O sisters will be tuff. Duke is young and up and coming, but as always defense will be a question and TN has a question mark in the post and a very good point guard finally who will lead a senior team who has underacheived. I like our chances alot. To go undefeated this season UConn need Tiffany and Kelly to be consistent scorers. Stef will draw alot of attention as she will be a mismatch for almost every team we face. Bria will surprise everybody. Our big question mark will be at the point. I like BB and Caroline sharing duties. In big games I see Bria seeing some time at the point. UConn is alot better then on paper because of their defense and team chemistry. Heather will give some very good minutes as she has matured and KML will be dy-no-mite. Yeah we're UConn.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
W

with Lee out for the season, who do you think will get those starter minutes?

I expect CVS to start a smaller lineup, with Sykes likely playing the traditional "4" spot--not a bad fit for her offensively, since RU fans are always encouraging her to post-up and drive to the bucket more often. Laney may also get some minutes at the 4. But the biggest benefactor will be freshman Christa Evans--not a huge name out of HS, but CVS stated at media day that she has been very pleased with her play in practice.

Oliver, Sykes, Rushdan, Wheeler should all start--CVS has a lot of option on what to do with that 5th spot.

Reaction Score
Preseason, I can't really say I disagree with this ranking. Maybe 3rd instead of 4th, but what's one spot, with no games played? I'd like to think that UConn can get to maybe #2 by the end of the season. I still see them losing 5-6 games (including, obviously, the one that ends their tournament run), but becoming a very strong team by season's end.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its very clear many of the voters pick TN 3 . I just dont see it based on past performance, based on loss of players and even with a injury ridden Baugh coming back and a great pg in Ariel I dont see TN top 5. Well UConn will have their chance againest Baylor and ND a couple of times. We'll see how it plays out. So long as there are no injuries I like our chances alot.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel picked Uconn #6
I think that's a reflection of her esteem for Maya. She figures UConn cannot come close to replacing her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that's a reflection of her esteem for Maya. She figures UConn cannot come close to replacing her.
I saw that too. I think that's why many voters ranked UConn "low." We'll see. I think we are better than #4.

I guess this is respect for Maya:

The Huskies had been ranked No. 1 in the AP Preseason Poll in each of the last three seasons. They opened at No. 2 in 2007-08.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom