Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not condemning the system completely, but there's a movement to break the hypocrisy of the NCAA and it will prevail: eventually these kids will get their fair share of the revenue.
If it prevails, then you will see all other men's NCAA sports disappear, and the competitive field in MBB and FB reduced to the P5 semi-pro league. As it is half the P5 are losing money already (though those numbers may change with new TV contracts.)
The Alternative Model and one that may take hold is that the MBB and FB programs become completely separate entities from the schools, with a licensing deal, facilities rental, and maybe an ownership stake retained. I actually think that would be the best outcome for college sports as a whole, and would be in effect a farm system. Actual students that wanted to play football would start over at intramural club level.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And I guess Notre Dame is even more powerful if they, alone among all teams in all sports, are immune to the "bounce effect" that all other teams are subject to after beating the perceived best team in their sport.

I've found that teams that celebrate a win usually experience a letdown in their next game. Watch the NFL playoffs and notice which teams go crazy over a win over a perceived superior team and which teams show contained happiness. Those who celebrate have just won "their" superbowl and in most cases their next game is a stinker. I learned this after many years of watching horse races. A horse that runs it's fastest lifetime best can be counted on to decline in their next race.

Teams that beat UConn have a habit of losing their next game.

So Louisville is Doomed. Florida today - big bar day; stay off the roads folks.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If it prevails, then you will see all other men's NCAA sports disappear, and the competitive field in MBB and FB reduced to the P5 semi-pro league. As it is half the P5 are losing money already (though those numbers may change with new TV contracts.)
The Alternative Model and one that may take hold is that the MBB and FB programs become completely separate entities from the schools, with a licensing deal, facilities rental, and maybe an ownership stake retained. I actually think that would be the best outcome for college sports as a whole, and would be in effect a farm system. Actual students that wanted to play football would start over at intramural club level.

What a great idea to get rid of the joke that is the student athlete in certain sports. Would it have the same allure in that format? No sure. 'Course even now yo have to suspend your perception of reality to believe there is any association between the merits of your alma mater (your degree) and the football polls, basketball polls (and dancers' pole).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What a great idea to get rid of the joke that is the student athlete in certain sports. Would it have the same allure in that format? No sure. 'Course even now yo have to suspend your perception of reality to believe there is any association between the merits of your alma mater (your degree) and the football polls, basketball polls (and dancers' pole).
Should MCB and FB go the route of incorporating as separate entities, I could envisage a happening over time like NFL franchises, the now semi-pro teams could be wooed by cities to move.

I actually experienced something similar at Connecticut College - they started a summer program called the American Dance Festival. At some point it was decided to incorporate it as a separate entity to allow it to fund raise on its own, and in 1977 Duke University offered substantial incentives to have it move from CC to Duke which it did for the 1978 summer session where it has remained. The sports teams though would still be dependent on that alumni fanbase and student body - but who knows how things would evolve. There would still be interest in the non-P5 universe of sports teams that remained 'amateur' and you might end up with a semi-pro Alabama team and an amateur Alabama team that still played a college season against other student teams.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One thing I have noticed over time is that ND WCBB is a carbuncle on the rump of ND football (and the occasional men's hoops noise). Last time they played us in the finals the network showed the "crowd" in ND student union cheering the women on and it was pretty meager. I have always felt that part of Muffet's seeming bitterness has a lot to do with being so good yet so ignored at home. Today over on the Tuffet they are talking how it would be nice to have a local paper talk about MW's trip and the chances of that being slim.

Food for thought by someone. :rolleyes:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
DT's final 2 years, she had Anne Strothers, Maria Conlon. AS people I loved both. Anne faded under pressure.
Maria was under rated and Anne Over rated (she never could make the needed big shot , even if it was a lay up) Maria never had the rating of Smith, Stiles (she was terrific) or Swoopes--
While DT did not have to play all 5 positions at once (as Geno often suggested) she did not play with 4 AA's . DT just won't lose--her ego is that big. ---yes she has lost--in losses she is the cheerleader, scorer, assister, You saw the REAL DT in this years OLYMPIC games--on the bench or in the game.

I cannot emphasize this enough. I've said it a bunch of times but, again:

Jessica Moore, Ann Strother, Ashley Battle, and Barbara Turner were all high school All-Americans. Ann was a #1 recruit and won all of the HS NPOY awards. Maybe she wasn't at the same level as other #1 recruits but she was still a very good player for UConn. She's 15th on the UConn career scoring list, ahead of players like Shea and Jen.

No, Maria Conlon was not a HS All-American but in '03 but DT absolutely played with 4 HS All-Americans.

DT was and is amazing but she didn't play w/ nobodies. I wish people would give more respect to Ann, Jessica, Ashley, and Barab

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So Louisville is Doomed. Florida today - big bar day; stay off the roads folks.

Sorry but I don't follow college football. But if FSU was really the second best team in the country then I would bet against Louisville next week (if I still bet on sports, which I don't). But their opponent next week, the MarshallThundering Herd, is hardly in the same class as UL and the cardinals could bounce and still win. And FSU's No 2 ranking may not be any more accurate than the LV's No 4 ranking last preseason. Now if they were playing Clemson my theory would have a better test.

My theory works much better late in the season and even better in playoff formats.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
UConn football team won today... against "Virginia"!

Reaction Score
I cannot emphasize this enough. I've said it a bunch of times but, again:

Jessica Moore, Ann Strother, Ashley Battle, and Barbara Turner were all high school All-Americans. Ann was a #1 recruit and won all of the HS NPOY awards. Maybe she wasn't at the same level as other #1 recruits but she was still a very good player for UConn. She's 15th on the UConn career scoring list, ahead of players like Shea and Jen.

No, Maria Conlon was not a HS All-American but in '03 but DT absolutely played with 4 HS All-Americans.

DT was and is amazing but she didn't play w/ nobodies. I wish people would give more respect to Ann, Jessica, Ashley, and Barab
\ Depends upon the definition of NO BODIES---I have written often that DT could not win an NC alone--although Geno once said --he needed her to pass the ball into herself, dribble, pass to her self and score (or words to that effect).
\
HS All Americans does not always translate to WBB Div 1 AA's. I liked Anne--she was a very nice person, and when the game wasn't on the line or she was not the primary focus--she played well. Maria was nothing in HS except an exceptional 3 point shooter the pride of the Valley--she still is with me. Turner's best game was her last against Bales and Duke. Battle was a tough kid played hard and used the backboard well--Jessica Moore the pride of Alaska, I never could see her other than a lessor role player. It took Red Shirting and more to make her a College level player (thank you Christine).
Inch for inch gutz for gutz no one could match the toughness and ability to score under the basket of the BT EXPRESS and she did pretty good from beyond the arc..

Every kid that made/makes the UConn WBB team has a lot to give to the school and the team--each is a champion unto herself and family, and some fans, each kid deserves RESPECT for the hard work they have done--I hope nothing I wrote comes across other than respectful--every kid is not a star or a when the chips are down leader that's why we have had so few DT's, Maya's, Jen's, Rene's, Moriah', Tuck's Stew, KLS, Colliers (yet to be seen).
UConn football team won today... against "Virginia"!
\\]

The tears flowed in Charlotesville---I couldn't believe UVA was that bad...Which one will the BiG 12 pick up?????

Reaction Score
This is where I think we're headed in about ten years. The top 4-5 teams in the P5 conferences will break away and form a 20-25 team semi-pro league in football and men's basketball that operates outside of the NCAA and the current conference structure while keeping all the money to themselves. Players will get paid and not be held to NCAA rules and standards. This will be a reset of sorts for the schools that aren't in the new semi-pro league as there will be a lot less (read nearly zero) money flowing through the system as a result.

Reaction Score
I think that's somewhat alarmist, UcMiami.
1. Allow those athletes to make more money than they are already allocated.
2. Pay them a modest amount: $5k-10k/year. Think about that as increased financial aid. ~100 players/team making 10k/year. That's $1M. That's not a rounding error at most major football programs, and it's not a rounding error for most D-1 financial aid programs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think that's somewhat alarmist, UcMiami.
1. Allow those athletes to make more money than they are already allocated.
2. Pay them a modest amount: $5k-10k/year. Think about that as increased financial aid. ~100 players/team making 10k/year. That's $1M. That's not a rounding error at most major football programs, and it's not a rounding error for most D-1 financial aid programs.
Yeah, and pay the 100 women's scholarship players the same so you don't run foul of title IX, and then for all those state schools that are already going to their tax payers and asking for lots of money to balance their budgets explaining how they are paying tax dollars to students so they can play games. Again, fine for the 20 or so programs that consistently break even on their athletic budget. And they are already paying 'stipends'.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and pay the 100 women's scholarship players the same so you don't run foul of title IX, and then for all those state schools that are already going to their tax payers and asking for lots of money to balance their budgets explaining how they are paying tax dollars to students so they can play games. Again, fine for the 20 or so programs that consistently break even on their athletic budget. And they are already paying 'stipends'.
Maybe, but citizens don't seem to complain when coaches at these schools are paid multiples of millions of dollars. Alabama is far from a wealthy state, but its citizens seems okay paying Nick Saban $7M/year.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but citizens don't seem to complain when coaches at these schools are paid multiples of millions of dollars. Alabama is far from a wealthy state, but its citizens seems okay paying Nick Saban $7M/year.
What makes you think you aren't paying for him? Alabama is a taker state.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Diana had a team full of high school All-Americans that were assuredly at least as good as Smith's or Stiles's or Swoopes's.

Maria never had the rating of Smith, Stiles (she was terrific) or Swoopes--

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I didn't mean that Maria Conlon was the equal of Jackie Stiles. Obviously she wasn't. What I meant was that Diana's teammates were (at least) the equals of Jackie Stiles' or Sheryl Swoopes's teammates. I can't check this but I would bet that Jackie Stiles did not play with four high school All-Americans.

I can't remember why I was making this point but I want it to be clear nonetheless :D

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
One thing I have noticed over time is that ND WCBB is a carbuncle on the rump of ND football (and the occasional men's hoops noise). Last time they played us in the finals the network showed the "crowd" in ND student union cheering the women on and it was pretty meager. I have always felt that part of Muffet's seeming bitterness has a lot to do with being so good yet so ignored at home. Today over on the Tuffet they are talking how it would be nice to have a local paper talk about MW's trip and the chances of that being slim.

Food for thought by someone. :rolleyes:
The Tuffet? There is no need to ridicule the competition.

And your food for thought is not accurate. Muffet is NOT ignored at home. While UConn was winning 4 National Championships in a row over the past 4 years, Notre Dame has had better home attendance, despite playing in a smaller venue. Purcell Pavilion has a capacity of 9149, whereas Gampel holds 10167 and the XL Center holds 16294.

2012-13: ND 8979, UConn 8977
2013-14: ND 8694, UConn 8313
2014-15: ND 8544, UConn 8216
2015-16: UConn 8920, ND 8437

While UConn charges more for tickets than Notre Dame does, the attendance figures are at odds with your claim that ND WBB is being ignored at home, and this evidence is more substantial than your perception of a crowd at the Student Center.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

And your food for thought is not accurate. Muffet is NOT ignored at home. While UConn was winning 4 National Championships in a row over the past 4 years, Notre Dame has had better home attendance, despite playing in a smaller venue. Purcell Pavilion has a capacity of 9149, whereas Gampel holds 10167 and the XL Center holds 16294.

2012-13: ND 8979, UConn 8977
2013-14: ND 8694, UConn 8313
2014-15: ND 8544, UConn 8216
2015-16: UConn 8920, ND 8437

While UConn charges more for tickets than Notre Dame does, the attendance figures are at odds with your claim that ND WBB is being ignored at home, and this evidence is more substantial than your perception of a crowd at the Student Center.
you got info on the TV viewership. which sways the in-person stats... I live in walking distance from the XL Center and (come to think of it) Im not sure that I've seen the Big 3 in person (personal trivia I must look into) ever!

Reaction Score
To be fair, most of UCONN's games are televised on SNY or ESPN....so home attendance is on a small part of the folks watching for both teams. But no need to get so defensive.

Reaction Score

They don't call him/her Fightin Choke for nothin!!!!;)

How is the Purcell Pavilion.......... Is it a modern facility or an older venue like Gampel?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
you got info on the TV viewership. which sways the in-person stats... I live in walking distance from the XL Center and (come to think of it) Im not sure that I've seen the Big 3 in person (personal trivia I must look into) ever!

DaddyChoc (and Charlie), Notre Dame's home games are all streamed free on the internet by Notre Dame, unless they are available on ESPN2 or ESPN3. Some of the away games are not available except for pay, but that wouldn't affect the home attendance. My contention was not that ND has a greater fan following than UConn, for I do not believe that to be true, but rather to give evidence that ND WBB is NOT ignored at home, which was Rocky's contention.

As for me being defensive, it seemed to me that Rocky was dismissive of the Irish basketball program. His posting history indicates little respect for Muffet/Notre Dame. His more egregious entries get erased by mods before most people see them. If Rocky were just offering an opinion, why called McGraw's Bench the "Tuffet"?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
They don't call him/her Fightin Choke for nothin!!!!;)

How is the Purcell Pavilion..... Is it a modern facility or an older venue like Gampel?
It was built in 1968, but was refurbished just 10 years ago. The renovation lowered the capacity by over 2000 seats, but the venue is now more comfortable. Gampel was constructed in 1990.

Reaction Score
This is where I think we're headed in about ten years. The top 4-5 teams in the P5 conferences will break away and form a 20-25 team semi-pro league in football and men's basketball that operates outside of the NCAA and the current conference structure while keeping all the money to themselves. Players will get paid and not be held to NCAA rules and standards. This will be a reset of sorts for the schools that aren't in the new semi-pro league as there will be a lot less (read nearly zero) money flowing through the system as a result.

Historically----Men's Semi-Pro teams have not done well!!
If they dump the NCAA and go back to Conf Championships as the top of the heap --with true Student Athletes--you may be surprised how good that can be. The NCAA sticks it's nose into things it should not, if they think they are politically correct, and don't hold violators of magnum magnitude to toe the established marks. The NCAA business is HOW sports are run to make big money--for who?
There is little doubt that in the future Student Athletes will receive more of a "stipend" if they receive salaries or yearly pay they will be either University Employees or Contractors to the University--and belong to State Employee unions--think of this--players won't be able to play more than 10 minutes in a row--with out a 15 minute break. Guards will belong to a different union than the Post, etc.. If you think the NCAA is bad wait to see what the Union does for them..
Does anyone think Students and Fans will show up at paid player games (University Employees) who wear a "Uconn" logo on their shirts ? Student turn out to watch other Students WIN--winning teams are followed, losers not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom