Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does this mean that Danielle Adams and Brittney Griner were UConn sleeper agents?!
Nope, just that beating Uconn was ND's NC game each year and they forgot to show up for the next one! :eek::cool:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Nope, just that beating Uconn was ND's NC game each year and they forgot to show up for the next one! :eek::cool:

So UConn displayed their "knack for really limiting great players" not when they played ND but psychologically during the next game? Some trick, lol. Truly Geno is more powerful than we know!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So UConn displayed their "knack for really limiting great players" not when they played ND but psychologically during the next game? Some trick, lol. Truly Geno is more powerful than we know!
I really was just making a funny post about this, but I also believe there is some truth to it. And I would say the same about the Stanford team that beat Uconn in the FF - the two ND teams and that Stanford team played spectacular games in the semis and then all three laid eggs in the final. And it is the same kind of thing you often see with teams that finally get to a FF and then aren't really prepared to win the semi (which has happened to Uconn teams as well.)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I really was just making a funny post about this, but I also believe there is some truth to it. And I would say the same about the Stanford team that beat Uconn in the FF - the two ND teams and that Stanford team played spectacular games in the semis and then all three laid eggs in the final. And it is the same kind of thing you often see with teams that finally get to a FF and then aren't really prepared to win the semi (which has happened to Uconn teams as well.)

I think there is some truth to it regarding the Texas A&M game. I think the Baylor game was more about having no answer for Griner.

But this is all separate from the original assertion that I was poking fun at.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think there is some truth to it regarding the Texas A&M game. I think the Baylor game was more about having no answer for Griner.

Which I really enjoyed! It was a very good zinger!:)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

This is interesting as Stanford has had that knack for beating teams when they can fully prepare for them, i.e. Baylor, Uconn, Notre Dame and then fall short on games when they are expected to win or maybe overlook or just didn't plan as well for, not true for Uconn however, they have the knack of just beating you and especially when it counts.

Reaction Score
Just want to repeat the recommendation of what started this DD tweet conversation: Schooled: The Price of College Sports (2013), which, as I've now seen it, is a really devastating attack on the NCAA and big-time football and men's basketball generally (what a surprise!). It's really, really well done, and is free on Amazon Prime and rentable on YouTube movies for (I think) around $8. One highly articulate ex-f00tballer makes the compelling case that the modern "student-athlete", at least in these sports, fits well the definition of what used to be an indentured servant.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just want to repeat the recommendation of what started this DD tweet conversation: Schooled: The Price of College Sports (2013), which, as I've now seen it, is a really devastating attack on the NCAA and big-time football and men's basketball generally (what a surprise!). It's really, really well done, and is free on Amazon Prime and rentable on YouTube movies for (I think) around $8. One highly articulate ex-f00tballer makes the compelling case that the modern "student-athlete", at least in these sports, fits well the definition of what used to be an indentured servant.
Things that I keep thinking about watching this and other similar programs:
1. Professional internship programs
2. Minor league baseball
3. European apprentice style programs
They lost me when they talked about what the kids were getting being college tuition room and board. Because all those hopeful pros, are also getting access to world class coaching, facilities, and trainers. Why does Saban get to pick and choose his recruits, or Calipari, or Geno for that matter - because the recruits know those coaches are the best at getting their players trained up for a professional career.
If you want to complain about the amateur status of college football and basketball, look at the NFL and NBA. MLB would love to do away with the farm systems because it is a drain on their profits, but the NBA and NFL have never had to set up that kind of system because colleges provided it. And they provide the most important ingredient as well - the captive audience of millions of alumni willing to spend on 'their team' which is why the college games are so popular while other attempts at semi-pro leagues (and minor league baseball) have always lost money.

Oh yeah, indentured servitude - nope. College athletes are free to walk away at any moment they want and take their training and skills with them.

Reaction Score
Things that I keep thinking about watching this and other similar programs:
1. Professional internship programs
2. Minor league baseball
3. European apprentice style programs
They lost me when they talked about what the kids were getting being college tuition room and board. Because all those hopeful pros, are also getting access to world class coaching, facilities, and trainersI . Why does Saban get to pick and choose his recruits, or Calipari, or Geno for that matter - because the recruits know those coaches are the best at getting their players trained up for a professional career.
If you want to complain about the amateur status of college football and basketball, look at the NFL and NBA. MLB would love to do away with the farm systems because it is a drain on their profits, but the NBA and NFL have never had to set up that kind of system because colleges provided it. And they provide the most important ingredient as well - the captive audience of millions of alumni willing to spend on 'their team' which is why the college games are so popular while other attempts at semi-pro leagues (and minor league baseball) have always lost money.
Oh yeah, indentured servitude - nope. College athletes are free to walk away at any moment they want and take their training and skills with them.
I get a lot of what you're saying, but even a football program like Alabama which gets significantly more 4 and 5 star athletes than any other program--how many of them actually make pro? And how much is that education really worth when the primary obligation of these kids is to be in the weight room and practice field? Certainly, the scandal at North Carolina was only the most discovered and obvious abuse of the "student"-athlete program. Not to say that there aren't great students (Bill Bradley did honors in history at Princeton; Andrew Luck was an engineering major at Stanford, etc) but there are a whole lot of kids who leave those top football and basketball programs with very little to show, either in academic preparation or in professional sports prospects. As to walking away with their training and skills, what do they really have and where will they go with them?

I'm not condemning the system completely, but there's a movement to break the hypocrisy of the NCAA and it will prevail: eventually these kids will get their fair share of the revenue. As a talking head said: his son is the student body president of his college for which he gets paid $5000. Why is he allowed to accept compensation and not athletes? Or as he also said: is an English major not allowed to publish a novel and profit from it while in college; or a kid not able to hold a couple of extra jobs? The student-athlete rules have become absurd and punishing to kids and highly rewarding to the colleges.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If she visits her other two favorites, by the time she verbals in another 2-3 weeks or so, this thread could easily have more than 40,000 views.
I fixed that for you... lets go Huskies

Reaction Score
not DD's comment/tweet but Charlie's reason for posting it in this thread :eek:

Didn't think it was worth a thread of it's own thought the comment might relate to recruits in general

Reaction Score
Complete social media silence from all UConn recruits as of Friday.................awaiting something of interest upon their leaving CT............

Reaction Score
Complete social media silence from all UConn recruits as of Friday.......awaiting something of interest upon their leaving CT..

I am sure some of them will post the usual "had a great time at UConn" stuff but I would be absolutely shocked if Walker announces her commitment. She has said over and over that she will take ALL her visits before making her decision and IMHO she is huge ND lean.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Complete social media silence from all UConn recruits as of Friday.......awaiting something of interest upon their leaving CT..

images

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the "social media" ban may be in effect... just to see if they can do it for a wknd, let alone 6 months.

BTW "the t-shirts" scare me

Reaction Score
I am sure some of them will post the usual "had a great time at UConn" stuff but I would be absolutely shocked if Walker announces her commitment. She has said over and over that she will take ALL her visits before making her decision and IMHO she is huge ND lean.
If she was a strong lean she would have already committed to the Irish. I believe it's a long shot the huskies land her but it's anyone's guess. Megan has visited uconn 3 times already more then Texas or Notre Dame. But trying to figure out what goes through a teenagers mind anyone can speculate. We all just have to wait and see. We get her awesome if we don't we will survive. Uconn doesn't always get the prize recruit. Uconn will move on like they always do!! Time will tell in the next week or so where Megan will play her college career!!!

Reaction Score
If she was a strong lean she would have already committed to the Irish. I believe it's a long shot the huskies land her but it's anyone's guess. Megan has visited uconn 3 times already more then Texas or Notre Dame. But trying to figure out what goes through a teenagers mind anyone can speculate. We all just have to wait and see. We get her awesome if we don't we will survive. Uconn doesn't always get the prize recruit. Uconn will move on like they always do!! Time will tell in the next week or so where Megan will play her college career!!!

Exactly...but let's think for a second...multiple visits, the coaching staff ("Geno"), the Werth Center, with Ray & Maya there to greet you, the Banners, oh, the Banners, and the pedigree of the NBA, the Legacy of UCONN....and its future. Did you say, "choice"?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A tweet from Meghan on the 15th said: "Clarity and rushing are two different things lol" These are momentous decisions for young people. And only hindsight provides answers; just as Batouly and Azura. And, of course, hindsight is no sight at all.

Reaction Score

And I guess Notre Dame is even more powerful if they, alone among all teams in all sports, are immune to the "bounce effect" that all other teams are subject to after beating the perceived best team in their sport.

I've found that teams that celebrate a win usually experience a letdown in their next game. Watch the NFL playoffs and notice which teams go crazy over a win over a perceived superior team and which teams show contained happiness. Those who celebrate have just won "their" superbowl and in most cases their next game is a stinker. I learned this after many years of watching horse races. A horse that runs it's fastest lifetime best can be counted on to decline in their next race.

Teams that beat UConn have a habit of losing their next game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You really want to claim ND lost because of a letdown the year they beat UCONN in the semis and lost to Griner's undefeated Baylor team in the final? Give me a freakin' break.
And give Baylor some credit. Mulkey or no, ND lost because Baylor was the better and more talented team that year. By the way, anyone heard from HuskyNan lately? I miss her voice.

Reaction Score
Ugh. This is what I get for not proofreading :rolleyes:

Diana had a team full of high school All-Americans that were assuredly at least as good as Smith's or Stiles's or Swoopes's.

DT's final 2 years, she had Anne Strothers, Maria Conlon. AS people I loved both. Anne faded under pressure.
Maria was under rated and Anne Over rated (she never could make the needed big shot , even if it was a lay up) Maria never had the rating of Smith, Stiles (she was terrific) or Swoopes--
While DT did not have to play all 5 positions at once (as Geno often suggested) she did not play with 4 AA's . DT just won't lose--her ego is that big. ---yes she has lost--in losses she is the cheerleader, scorer, assister, You saw the REAL DT in this years OLYMPIC games--on the bench or in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom