Anybody aware of any potential grad transfers that could be added? | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Anybody aware of any potential grad transfers that could be added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm referring to Sulaimon, not Miller. AFAIK Miller has absolutely no behavioral issues whatsoever.
I know who you were referring to...:). It was just me taking inventory of our roster and adding in the Miller reference.

Reaction Score
Another factor that I would add would be the maturity of the team. Our 2014 NC team was a mature team with strong leadership among the players. A team like that might be better able to influence a high risk student. Our current group is not a mature bunch and might be less able to bring along such a player. I would trust KO to make the call about whether a kid is ready to take advantage of another chance, but RS does not sound like a good option based on the little that is known.

I think there is always some risk/reward in the grad transfer recruiting game (team chemistry, production and character ect...). So those with apprehension on the signing of RS MAY have valid positions (time will tell). My point is for all those claiming character (RED FLAGS ect...) issues....you have to be willing to admit that he will not find success next year at any college (because of poor character). Otherwise why wouldn't you want a kid who talent wise is at the top of the grad transfer food chain?

I think he can turn it around. The risk to me doesn't outweigh the reward. Your points are well taken though as it relates to UConn.

Reaction Score
As @CallMeBruce points out, that's kind of the reason why I don't see the Ben Gordon hypothetical relating the RS situation. In fact, I don't know if there are any other transfer/dismissal situations that can relate to Rasheed Sulaimon.

As I've said before, the reasons that this specific transfer situation is a major red flag:
  1. When transferring isn't the players choice and he is actually dismissed from the team.
  2. When in the press release for his dismissal, it is said that he "repeatedly struggled to meet necessary obligations" indicating a history of issues and not just one singular event.
  3. When he is the first player his coach has dismissed in 35 years of coaching.

You very well could be right about everything. He transfers to another school and at X school he decides to make bad decisions about the company he keeps. K was playing him around 27 mins per the first 2 years though. Then 10 months or so after the alleged incidents (and countless other Micky D recruits that are now 1st rounders) he pulls the plug on RS? I think K would have been more Calhoun like (as it relates to Ben) if it was Winslow or Okafor engaging in various "behaviors". RS was certainly guilty of hanging with the wrong people (those he was not compatible with off the court). So was Ben...

I just think it may be premature to pass judgment on his future.

Reaction Score
We don't need to pass judgment to be aware that bringing him in brings unwelcome attention to the program. Given K's history, it's much more likely that Sulaimon squandered several chances, rather than he made an isolated mistake.

Reaction Score
We don't need to pass judgment to be aware that bringing him in brings unwelcome attention to the program. Given K's history, it's much more likely that Sulaimon squandered several chances, rather than he made an isolated mistake.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ to all.

Like I said...I am the .0000000000000000009 % that would roll the dice with this 1. I think the kid has a chance to really kill it next year IF given a 2nd chance. Kids make mistakes and mature. The talent is unquestionable (at least to me). You certainly have presented the conservative and safe alternative. Nothing wrong with that...

Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that you can rent one roster spot to a kid with some baggage, but only one. It doesn't appear anybody on the current roster has caused problems at prior stops, so if KO decides to roll the dice on Sulaimon, I won't object (though somebody else made the point that this team is absent a veteran leader, which would give me pause).

I'm no psychology major, but if Sulaimon was booted from Duke, there was probably at least some degree of mutual animosity. That isn't to say Sulaimon didn't deserve to be kicked off the team; I'm sure he did. Just that, when things go awry at one destination, it seems to me that human nature would dictate that most people would be more willing to embrace their next stop. There are some people that are beyond help, but we don't know if Sulaimon is one of those players or not - it could be that getting kicked off the team (a team that would go on to win a championship without him, no less) was what he needed to resurrect his career. Ultimately it's all a guessing game, but there is no doubt he's a talented player who could help us win.

Regarding the alleged sexual assault, I have no idea. I am not at all familiar with that incident, but it goes without saying that the program and University doesn't need to be associated with that sort of thing.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think he will resurrect his career 99. He is an intelligent kid that undoubtedly made some bad decisions. The kid is from Houston and was recruited by Texas A & M. In my opinion a combination of House, Jones & Sulaimon coupled with the blockbuster recruiting class they posses could put them in position to have a VERY special year despite Kennedy. Not sure of what is available at A & M but that might be a good place for him to land. Memphis of course is always a possibility but A & M for 1 year would be my recommendation. Like I said though...I would take him at UConn in a heartbeat. My human nature though is more of a risk taker. Take it easy...

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think he will resurrect his career 99. He is an intelligent kid that undoubtedly made some bad decisions. The kid is from Houston and was recruited by Texas A & M. In my opinion a combination of House, Jones & Sulaimon coupled with the blockbuster recruiting class they posses could put them in position to have a VERY special year despite Kennedy. Not sure of what is available at A & M but that might be a good place for him to land. Memphis of course is always a possibility but A & M for 1 year would be my recommendation. Like I said though...I would take him at UConn in a heartbeat. My human nature though is more of a risk taker. Take it easy...

SMU would be an interesting fit as well.

Reaction Score
SMU would be an interesting fit as well.

Agreed...SMU might be interesting as well. Just from the ESPN recruiting info...looks like North Carolina, Texas, Arizona and A & M all offered. Most of those schools most likely have moved on. I know Damion Lee is visiting Zona but MD is a strong fav . So it is possible interest peaks again there if Lee lands outside of Tucson. I am just speculating on this kid (RS) because I think it opens some interesting back and forth. I am not dismissive of the doubters but see an untapped serious upside that I think will surface when we look back at this time next year. Honestly I hope we see it...somewhere. Always rooting for kids to get it together.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that, that's just another horrible look for your school.
We haven't had any players since Pastner and Fuente been here give us bad publicity. Pastner usually takes 1 of those a season anyway.

Reaction Score
I haven't heard anything about him, but Ricky Tarrant is leaving Alabama, and according to Goodman, he's graduating and will be eligible. He's a little too in love with the three (29/97 on the year), but he'd shot it reasonably well at Tulane. Averaged 13.1 on 41% shooting last year in the SEC, and he plays PG. Seems like he'd be worth a shot.

Reaction Score
Here's a list of the top 25 transfers available (includes graduate students who are eligible right away) from ESPN.com. Shonn Miller is #4.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodma...9/top-10-transfers-and-complete-transfer-list

5. Shonn Miller, Cornell (eligible immediately) -- He’s a 4-man who is eligible immediately for his final season and has attracted big-time interest. Miller, who averaged 16.8 points and 8.5 boards this past season, has a nice dribble pullup and is a better perimeter shooter than his numbers indicate.

Considering: UConn, Illinois, Boston College, Michigan, Marquette, California

Reaction Score
If the Terps land Damion Lee, they will be the team to beat next year.

Reaction Score
Here's a list of the top 25 transfers available (includes graduate students who are eligible right away) from ESPN.com. Shonn Miller is #4.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodma...9/top-10-transfers-and-complete-transfer-list

5. Shonn Miller, Cornell (eligible immediately) -- He’s a 4-man who is eligible immediately for his final season and has attracted big-time interest. Miller, who averaged 16.8 points and 8.5 boards this past season, has a nice dribble pullup and is a better perimeter shooter than his numbers indicate.

Considering: UConn, Illinois, Boston College, Michigan, Marquette, California

This is worth continuing to check, because he updates it as players announce. Tarrant wasn't on there originally.

Reaction Score
Sulaimon wouldn't want to come to us anyways, wouldn't get guaranteed playing time. He would be the odd man out.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I would love to have two Jalens Adams on the roster.

It would even beat the Marshall Brothers or the Brown Brothers (Taliek & his fraternal twin, Justin).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom