Any Idea on Sanogo's Announcement Date?? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Any Idea on Sanogo's Announcement Date??

Reaction Score
The answer to people's question is in the blurb:
"and they seem to have as good a chance as anyone "

C

Chief00

There’s no news because there’s no news. His earlier eligibility isn’t yet confirmed, so nobody can know anything yet. That doesn’t seem to stop some people from acting like they have news, though. Dan likes dealing with Chavannes because he also does not see the need for unnecessary hype.

I agree, and that’s why I posted Thursday it was complicated. I think there’s two questions: Is he is eligible to go early? If so, what school has gained momentum?
From Maryland’s 247 site:

Maryland's been in steady contact with New Jersey center Adama Sanogo in recent days, per a source close to the highly regarded junior. Sanogo also has Maryland in his top three, and they seem to have as good a chance as anyone, with UConn perhaps the top competition. It sounds like Sanogo, who is expected to reclassify to 2020, could be deciding soon.
Trust in Chief. All we can do is beat the other schools, it’s up to Adama to early qualify.

C

Chief00

What’s right about the blurb from that article (I don’t have access to the whole thing) is that schools other than Seton Hall were successful in keeping him from making the easy and safe commitment to the Hall. He’s been there a ton, and they were, rather sensibly, trying to use that to their advantage. Other schools “encouraged” him to keep his options open, to try to get other visits in- he may never be allowed to visit if the reclass goes through, but the approach worked so far.
Concur, and usually there’s a window for the hometown team - I agree the longer it goes on the less likely he goes through that window. The weather turned warm and sunny this weekend.

Reaction Score
I bookmarked all of the videos I could find of TPS where Sanogo plays. None of the highlights are just him, but you can get a sense of his play from them if you want. FWIW this competition is tremendous--one of the most difficult HS schedules in America.

Vs. Roselle and Cliff (all different games I think)

Noah Farrakhan TAKES OVER In Championship Game!! The Patrick School vs Roselle Catholic!!
Roselle Catholic vs The Patrick School- Final Four! CJ Wilcher, Niels Lane, Noah Farrakahn
Roselle Catholic 56 Patrick School 49 | Boys Basketball | Non-Public North B Semifinal
The Patrick School 43 Roselle Catholic 40 | HS Basketball | Adama Sanogo 17 Points + 23 Rebounds!

Vs. LI Lutheran (same game different videos)
INTENSE NY/NJ tilt! Noah and Jon lead The Patrick School against Andre Curbelo and LuHi!
#1 Ranked Jonathan Kuminga & Noah Farrakhan TESTED By The #1 TEAM In New York & Zed Key!

Vs Linden:
Noah Farrakhan, Jon Kuminga, and Celtics advance to Union County Title! ☘

vs Huntington Prep
Huntington Prep vs. The Patrick School basketball - ESPN broadcast highlights

vs Immaculate Conception (same game different videos)
Noah Farrakhan leads the Irish to a SENIOR NIGHT victory!
The Patrick School vs Montclair Immaculate Gets CHIPPY! Noah Farrakhan,Zion Bethea - Non Public Qtrs

vs IMG ACademy
The Patrick School (NJ) vs IMG Academy (FL) - HoopHall Classic - ESPN Broadcast Highlights

Plainfield (I think)
Noah Farrakhan flushes POSTER DUNK on defender!!! The Patrick School wins by FORTY

New Brunswick
The Patrick School 80 New Brunswick 62 | HS Basketball | Jonathan Kuminga Returns from Injury

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can someone verify whether it is "Suh NAW go" or "Suh NO go"?? I always thought it was the latter but I'm hearing two different pronunciations.

Offense: He averaged 14.2 ppg (Kuminga the #1 2021 recruit averaged 16.2 for comparison)

- I like how sticky his pivot foot is. He doesn't get knocked off balance, even when he leans into guys on the block to create space or pivots to get deeper.

- Footwork is solid. Nothing too fancy, but he uses his strength, gets position, finishes with both hands and uses basic post moves well. Good pump fake. Either goes middle or up and under

- Seems to do a decent job setting screens and rolling. Forces the hedge defender to cover him because of the angle he takes. Much more difficult task at the NBE level, but the seeds are there.

- I like that he doesn't put the ball down on post moves much. He'll do really well with guards that can dump to him in the dunker spot (paging Jalen Gaffey)

- Always looking for the post up angle. Really make his defender stick him.

- Basically no semblance of a shot. I think he made 1 mid-range in all the videos combined.

Defense:

- Not super athletic. Won't be quick up and down the floor or that fast laterally at all. Below average in that regard.

- I'm not sure how well he'd do in our hedge-heavy defense... or on defense at all. More Carlton than Whaley in that regard. too upright on perimeter D. Won't be able to switch onto the perimeter or hedge regularly and keep the defense intact like Whaley can... at least at first. Definitely more comfortable in a drop coverage right now.

- I would say he looks to be a low basketball IQ/less fundamentally sound defender in general. Not a weakside shotblocker in the least. Too slow and earthbound. You don't get size/skill/atheticism though outside of the 5-star bigs. Sanogo has good size and skill, Hurley is probably banking they can develop the athleticism. Or intending to get a complimentary big in 2021 for different matchups (less skilled, but more athletic... maybe Mac)... Seems like we're definitely prioritizing size though--no more string beans at the 5.

Rebounding:

- Soft hands and he boxes out really well. Definitely his biggest asset IMO. Tracks the ball outside his area, and seems to have an instinct to go to the weak side for boards. Just seems to have a knack for it. Very much a "horizontal" more than "vertical" rebounder. Potential to be a really good college rebounder.

Passing:

Not a very good passer on the perimeter. looks mechanical and kind of uncomfortable... short arms them. Looked better against zone than man.

Passing from the blocks. Especially looked good in the championship game vs Roselle.

...Just my opinion. Good chance I'm wrong on it all.

C

Chief00

We're OK with the dam breaks, beautiful weather and the Blaze, but just stay away from urinals.
So what is it now, every six feet in line at XL Men’s room then can use every third urinal to achieve 6 foot distancing - what a disaster that will be.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
So what is it now, every six feet in line at XL Men’s room then can use every third urinal to achieve 6 foot distancing - what a disaster that will be.

The XL men's rooms don't need social distancing to qualify as disasters. They've been among the worst cesspools forever.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We need this guy!!!!

1588600879306.png

Reaction Score
Can someone verify whether it is "Suh NAW go" or "Suh NO go"?? I always thought it was the latter but I'm hearing two different pronunciations.

Offense: He averaged 14.2 ppg (Kuminga the #1 2021 recruit averaged 16.2 for comparison)

- I like how sticky his pivot foot is. He doesn't get knocked off balance, even when he leans into guys on the block to create space or pivots to get deeper.

- Footwork is solid. Nothing too fancy, but he uses his strength, gets position, finishes with both hands and uses basic post moves well. Good pump fake. Either goes middle or up and under

- Seems to do a decent job setting screens and rolling. Forces the hedge defender to cover him because of the angle he takes. Much more difficult task at the NBE level, but the seeds are there.

- I like that he doesn't put the ball down on post moves much. He'll do really well with guards that can dump to him in the dunker spot (paging Jalen Gaffey)

- Always looking for the post up angle. Really make his defender stick him.

- Basically no semblance of a shot. I think he made 1 mid-range in all the videos combined.

Defense:

- Not super athletic. Won't be quick up and down the floor or that fast laterally at all. Below average in that regard.

- I'm not sure how well he'd do in our hedge-heavy defense... or on defense at all. More Carlton than Whaley in that regard. too upright on perimeter D. Won't be able to switch onto the perimeter or hedge regularly and keep the defense intact like Whaley can... at least at first. Definitely more comfortable in a drop coverage right now.

- I would say he looks to be a low basketball IQ/less fundamentally sound defender in general. Not a weakside shotblocker in the least. Too slow and earthbound. You don't get size/skill/atheticism though outside of the 5-star bigs. Sanogo has good size and skill, Hurley is probably banking they can develop the athleticism. Or intending to get a complimentary big in 2021 for different matchups (less skilled, but more athletic... maybe Mac)... Seems like we're definitely prioritizing size though--no more string beans at the 5.

Rebounding:

- Soft hands and he boxes out really well. Definitely his biggest asset IMO. Tracks the ball outside his area, and seems to have an instinct to go to the weak side for boards. Just seems to have a knack for it. Very much a "horizontal" more than "vertical" rebounder. Potential to be a really good college rebounder.

Passing:

Not a very good passer on the perimeter. looks mechanical and kind of uncomfortable... short arms them. Looked better against zone than man.

Passing from the blocks. Especially looked good in the championship game vs Roselle.

...Just my opinion. Good chance I'm wrong on it all.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis. Good stuff.

Your write-up actually reduces the anxiety that’s been building here that UConn must sign him. If we miss out, no worries.

From the sound of it, he doesn’t appear to be at the Emeka or Josh Boone level coming out of HS. No where near a one-and-done like Kofi.

If you had to compare his skill/talent level to other former UConn centers coming out of HS, who does he compare most closely to?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the in-depth analysis. Good stuff.

Your write-up actually reduces the anxiety that’s been building here that UConn must sign him. If we miss out, no worries.

From the sound of it, he doesn’t appear to be at the Emeka or Josh Boone level coming out of HS. No where near a one-and-done like Kofi.

If you had to compare his skill/talent level to other former UConn centers coming out of HS, who does he compare most closely to?

I wouldn't say any center is a must sign--we have 3 on the roster + Richie.

But I think it's worth mentioning that Sanogo is clearly a lot better right now than Javonte Brown Ferguson. He might be the best rebounder on our team next fall. He's probably about as skilled of a center with ideal size as you're going to get outside the top 25.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say any center is a must sign--we have 3 on the roster + Richie.

But I think it's worth mentioning that Sanogo is clearly a lot better right now than Javonte Brown Ferguson. He might be the best rebounder on our team next fall. He's probably about as skilled of a center with ideal size as you're going to get outside the top 25.

Do you think he is better than sophomore Josh Carlton? I’m felling fairly confident Josh will return to that form this year.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Seton Hall going hard after Anselem. This was in response to SHU getting another virtual visit with him...

They have been very public with their persuit of Anselem. 1 scholarship available. Could be a play to try and force Sanogo’s hand.

They have to be extremely frustrated that Sanogo hasn’t committed.

Reaction Score
They have been very public with their persuit of Anselem. 1 scholarship available. Could be a play to try and force Sanogo’s hand.

They have to be extremely frustrated that Sanogo hasn’t committed.
Seems like there’s uncertainty surrounding his recruitment. Wouldn’t be the first time a young high school kid was essentially a strong lean/lock somewhere, only to change his mind later on. He’s got good options and there’s an argument to be made for all the schools recruiting him now in terms of fit for him. Can’t blame Seton Hall for trying to get someone signed and not risking waiting it out if they can get another guy. I’m just excited about the direction of the team. Whether it means AS commits here or elsewhere, it’s clear the recruiting message is getting across and we’re getting some good players. Good times ahead!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't put more to the Seton Hall thing other than it being a 'bird in hand' kind of thing. If they can get a comparable guy 100% for sure, they should do it. If they get Sanogo, good on them, too. But I wouldn't read too much into that. If they do get Anslem, we're probably best positioned to get him.

As for his fit here - he's 100% our best rebounder, he's outstanding close to the basket, finishes with both hands really well, etc. He's not afraid to get the ball in space away from the basket and has a great first step so he can beat guys off the dribble, but his real strength is that he doesn't waste a lot of movement.

He's the best rebounder on our team today if he commits.

I mean to me - I think people need to take a step back here and instead of looking at the overall talent package - it's more valuable to look at him as being really good as a fit here. He's not a talented shooter and there's not much that's smooth about him. Defensively he can get lost a little bit. Like if you're looking for a college superstar in the off - he's not that. I also don't think he's a one and done guy. He's a sure fire 2, more likely 3 year college guy who starts off as a really valuable piece and matures into a key player for us.

But *right now* he just ticks off a ton of boxes in that it gives us a real rim finisher - a guy who's probably going to give us a better look further away from the basket and can attack the rim - and who rebounds like a wild man. Most importantly he's a *realllllly* physical presence down low. And not that Josh and Whaley aren't that (both have definitely shown streaks of that) - but this guy gives us *a guy* who can do that. Especially against more physical teams - he's a really interesting guy to rotate out there w/ Whaley, for example. He just really compliments a lot of things we've lacked.

But don't get like...totally carried away. He's not Christian Laettner lol. While it's not a picture perfect comparison - he's more of the Jeff Adrien mold in terms of overall skill and trajectory. You'll love him, just don't expect Kofi Cockburn. And no -I don't thikn he's MUST GET; but I also simultaneously think he's the one missing piece we are away from being top-20/top-10 good next year. If that makes sense.

Reaction Score
Do you think he is better than sophomore Josh Carlton? I’m felling fairly confident Josh will return to that form this year.

No idea if he'll be better than Carlton as a sophomore overall. I do think he'd be a better rebounder off the bat per minute. Too many variables to look at comparing HS ball to college. But there is certainly the POTENTIAL he is.

Our staff has also had a fantastic eye for talent up to this point (even with the kids we missed out on). If they're recruiting as hard as they are, you have to trust this kid is a great fit skill and personality-wise.

I think Towney described him best. Sanogo isn't a superstar in the making barring a pretty big change in his playing style. But not every team can have star players all over the floor.

There is tremendous value to a kid who can rebound the ball at a high level, knows his role, finishes with both hands, and has good positioning on offense. He'll do the little things to make the team better. Even though he can't really shoot, he has gravity in the post that makes everything easier for his teammates. He'll clean up messes on the offensive boards--get tip outs which aren't recorded as rebounds. And he isn't getting bullied by anyone in the post.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I know eyes on the prize is the way to go, but, why did we not go after Anselem?

pj

Reaction Score
I don't know why anyone wouldn't see the value Sanogo brings. He's a man who dominates other players inside. We don't have anyone like that. He'd get a ton of minutes and a ton of rebounds here. The coaches presumably think they can develop the rest of his game and if so sky's the limit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom