Anthony on Gilbert | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anthony on Gilbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well it's all complicated. These things are never A to B.

I don't think the basketball criticism is over the top because it's been a driving factor in a lot of this.

Reading through the tea leaves - he's been pretty down for the last few months and is increasingly frustrated and handling it worse and worse. Players are sort of stuck where Danny's at - between being supportive of AG but also being really frustrated w/ his play. Danny wanted to scale him back; but it's right there in the article - you do that, you risk losing him altogether. And given how he's been mostly the go-to guy for the players - that can't happen. And I'm sure it's rough for the team to see him like that. That kind thing can hang over a team like a cloud. It's a uniquely tough situation.

And with whatever was up this weekend, doesn't sound like it was a panic-inducing moment or anything, but was enough that I think when mixed in with the dynamics of what's going on, his off-court stuff/grandmother's passing, etc. - Hurley thought that pulling the plug was the best call for everyone.

I just hope he gets better and can get back here with a clear head and mind. He's a phenominal kid and he deserves our support. How he played the last few months really doesn't matter anymore - it happened and its over - just time to get him right for him, not us.

It's also important though - because it sheds a lot of light on Hurley's approach on a lot of things from our perspective, too. Isn't always about turnovers and kick outs.

Reaction Score
like you, I am a healthcare professional. On 1st read-through, I didn’t see anything in that article that could be construed as even a minor violation of HIPAA. Everything else seems to be drawn from previously known published info as well as public interviews/statements.

I think it was a really well written and helpful piece of journalism. Rooting for Al to get himself back to his “good place”

Media is not bound by HIPPA. they can't be found guilty of a HIPPA violation. The government has no avenue to prevent or even sanction a media member for disclosing medical records. The avenues for prior restraint are very high in this country and almost exclusively deal with state secrets.

Now, media could always get sued for an invasion of privacy, .

I say this because a lot of people think everyone is bound my HIPPA. Mostly, it is only custodians of medical information. Now, a hippa violation could be made by the leaker, but the media has no legal obligation to abide by HIPPA regulations.

Now Ethically? That's a different discussion, but as TMZ showed us this week, there are places that are willing to forgo all professional ethics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great article that sheds some light on the situation. Wish AG the best and hope he knows everyone around him wants what's best for him and his future. Maybe playing basketball won't be part of his future but he can do what Hurley did and get into coaching. Given everything he's been through and his passion for the game it could be a great path for him and Hurley can be a perfect mentor

Reaction Score
The basketball criticism is beyond fair. That said, AG is a young man going through a tough time. We owe it to him as a fanbase to understand that and embrace him in any way imaginable. Lets rally around this kid, hopefully help him get to a point where he wants to get back on the court, and support him regardless of the score. Lets help him find the strength that will fuel him to succeed in life, on and off the court. Who really cares about the loss to Houston. I'd rather see AG rejoin the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great article though a sad story. I feel for Alterique. I'm glad that he's playing for Hurley because it is hard to imagine a coach who could understand better where he is at. I'm sure Hurley thinks about the room Blaney gave him to work things out when Danny was in a pretty dark place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
like you, I am a healthcare professional. On 1st read-through, I didn’t see anything in that article that could be construed as even a minor violation of HIPAA. Everything else seems to be drawn from previously known published info as well as public interviews/statements.

I think it was a really well written and helpful piece of journalism. Rooting for Al to get himself back to his “good place”
I think Anthony's article was cautiously written, carefully and successfully balancing the player's privacy with public interest in the team.

Reaction Score
Well it's all complicated. These things are never A to B.

I don't think the basketball criticism is over the top because it's been a driving factor in a lot of this.

Reading through the tea leaves - he's been pretty down for the last few months and is increasingly frustrated and handling it worse and worse. Players are sort of stuck where Danny's at - between being supportive of AG but also being really frustrated w/ his play. Danny wanted to scale him back; but it's right there in the article - you do that, you risk losing him altogether. And given how he's been mostly the go-to guy for the players - that can't happen. And I'm sure it's rough for the team to see him like that. That kind thing can hang over a team like a cloud. It's a uniquely tough situation.

And with whatever was up this weekend, doesn't sound like it was a panic-inducing moment or anything, but was enough that I think when mixed in with the dynamics of what's going on, his off-court stuff/grandmother's passing, etc. - Hurley thought that pulling the plug was the best call for everyone.

I just hope he gets better and can get back here with a clear head and mind. He's a phenominal kid and he deserves our support. How he played the last few months really doesn't matter anymore - it happened and its over - just time to get him right for him, not us.

It's also important though - because it sheds a lot of light on Hurley's approach on a lot of things from our perspective, too. Isn't always about turnovers and kick outs.
You said yesterday that Gilbert was done here

Reaction Score
lol the best was chief saying when he made the broom comment he was hinting that we're pushing AG out, excited to see what he says now that it's clear we aren't pushing him out.

"Broom" is slang for giving him space to get himself to a healthier place mentally. Only casuals who don't understand The Blaze Pizza Manifesto and the Grind don't know that.

Good piece by Anthony. Extra points for the hilarious picture of Hurley.

C

Chief00

Perhaps a great article but not sure if all his information is accurate. Chief will leave it there.

Removing a senior, 3 year starter from the lineup and the bench with a month left in the season is the reality you can’t spin away from.

I think Danny is walking a tightrope because of APR implications. So how does he turn the page on the court with the team but help Al over the Academic finish line - which is in everyone’s interest?

I think Anthony is right about certain things but not the motivation or purpose behind them.

Last edited by a moderator:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think it is kind of innapropriate to air all this out about a college athlete. Pro, sure

I kind of feel the same way.

The article does sound like an obituary. I think that given his age and expected role going forward, I don't think calling it quits is out of the question, but then again, he may only have a month and a half left of competitive basketball for the rest of his life and he may want to squeeze every last ounce out of it. I have no idea how to handicap his likelihood of return.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I kind of feel the same way.

The article does sound like an obituary. I think that given his age and expected role going forward, I don't think calling it quits is out of the question, but then again, he may only have a month and a half left of competitive basketball for the rest of his life and he may want to squeeze every last ounce out of it. I have no idea how to handicap his likelihood of return.

I think there is a very good likelihood that he plays Div. 1 basketball next season.

Reaction Score
Tremendous article by Mike Anthony, really superior writing, factual, empathetic, the viewpoints of the different participants (AG, coaches, teammates), all blended together so we as spectators, as readers, have a clear understanding, in an overview sort of way, of AG's mixed tenure here.

A couple of posters here commented on how beneficial and karmic it is that Danny Hurley and AG are sharing this experience, and I for one know how crucial and positive it can be to have the right people in your Life during times of great hardship and change.

So, I wish the very best for Alterique, I am sure he will come out the other side of this, and whether he plays ball overseas, gets into coaching or whatever he chooses, I am sure he will find success.

Reaction Score
I worked my whole career as a medical professional in an educational setting. FERPA & HIPPA are laws for a reason. How many times has a University refused to comment because of a student's s right to privacy. Should be respected here also. Dont like my stance too bad - it comes from years of experience in the field.
Something I never could understand about HIPPA and athletics. Why are they so open when it comes to sport injuries?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Tremendous article by Mike Anthony, really superior writing, factual, empathetic, the viewpoints of the different participants (AG, coaches, teammates), all blended together so we as spectators, as readers, have a clear understanding, in an overview sort of way, of AG's mixed tenure here.

A couple of posters here commented on how beneficial and karmic it is that Danny Hurley and AG are sharing this experience, and I for one know how crucial and positive it can be to have the right people in your Life during times of great hardship and change.

So, I wish the very best for Alterique, I am sure he will come out the other side of this, and whether he plays ball overseas, gets into coaching or whatever he chooses, I am sure he will find success.
Well said - thanks!

Reaction Score
Most posters here have already said how I feel about the article. Empathetic, and full of important perspective. Grateful that Mike wrote it.

Maybe some of you are aware, but two UConn underclassmen have died from suicide this year, one just last week I believe. Just something to keep in mind when considering mental health

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Most posters here have already said how I feel about the article. Empathetic, and full of important perspective. Grateful that Mike wrote it.

Maybe some of you are aware, but two UConn underclassmen have died from suicide this year, one just last week I believe. Just something to keep in mind when considering mental health
Lost three people among our family and friends to suicide/overdose in the past month alone. It has increasingly disturbed me how much suicide is openly discussed as an option in popular culture, especially in music to which my kids and many others listen. I know it has always been a dark side of a lot of art, but social media really appears to have magnified its effect.

I’ve decided to listen to more of it so I am aware, and to make it a topic of discussion among my family and friends so we have an opportunity to reinforce the fact that it is not a solution.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The game of life is tough.

Now its time for us fans to lift him up. Cheer, scream, shout, encourage, show love, etc... He needs it.
All this and more.

This makes a good Rx as to everyone on the shrunken scholarship squad, the coaching staff, our fellow fans, friends, and family

At least one of the confident harsh voices on this board made a similar appeal within the Kobe thread.

Life is fragile. We all know that it ends, just not how or when.

We all face things that call for resiliency to access our better selves. We are in such times. Last night's game helps.

Go Huskies.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Lost three people among our family and friends to suicide/overdose in the past month alone. It has increasingly disturbed me how much suicide is openly discussed as an option in popular culture, especially in music to which my kids and many others listen. I know it has always been a dark side of a lot of art, but social media really appears to have magnified its effect.

I’ve decided to listen to more of it so I am aware, and to make it a topic of discussion among my family and friends so we have an opportunity to reinforce the fact that it is not a solution.

The great philosopher Terence McKenna once stated: "Culture is not your friend." Seems that's more apparent as the years roll on.

Reaction Score
Perhaps a great article but not sure if all his information is accurate. Chief will leave it there.

Removing a senior, 3 year starter from the lineup and the bench with a month left in the season is the reality you can’t spin away from.

I think Danny is walking a tightrope because of APR implications. So how does he turn the page on the court with the team but help Al over the Academic finish line - which is in everyone’s interest?

I think Anthony is right about certain things but not the motivation or purpose behind them.
Honestly this is very accurate. Horrible situation for the kid, but theres more to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom