Anthony on Gilbert | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anthony on Gilbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Most posters here have already said how I feel about the article. Empathetic, and full of important perspective. Grateful that Mike wrote it.

Maybe some of you are aware, but two UConn underclassmen have died from suicide this year, one just last week I believe. Just something to keep in mind when considering mental health
This. I'm not saying this is the case, but AG could certainly be suffering from things like depression and/or anxiety, as a huge chunk of the population does. If he is, having him take some time off is the best thing for him.

I'm not sure we'll ever know, and I don't think we're entitled to an explanation.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You said yesterday that Gilbert was done here
Yesterday was kind of a pitchfork pig pile, the darkside of irrational exuberance. Not pretty, not a surprise, and still likely to reveal some defensiveness, contradiction, and awkwardness while things attempt to settle down.

"We're all just walking each other home."

Does it matter if the source is really Rumi and not Ram Dass?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
3 year starter
That’s not really accurate, either. Has he played in even a season’s worth of conference games yet over his three years?

Reaction Score
Something I never could understand about HIPPA and athletics. Why are they so open when it comes to sport injuries?
I am sure the athlete has input as to what gets released

Reaction Score
That’s not really accurate, either. Has he played in even a season’s worth of conference games yet over his three years?
He had played 3 more games than BA

Reaction Score
Removing a senior, 3 year starter from the lineup and the bench with a month left in the season is the reality you can’t spin away from.

That's true but doesn't tell the whole story. He started and played 3 games as a freshman, 6 games as a soph. He played 25 games last year and didn't finish the season. Basically he has played 34 games of live basketball over a period of 3-4 years? I didn't even count the games he missed in HS either. That's a whole lot of missed time in a practice only setting and sitting on the sidelines. I can't imagine how frustrating that could be. That's basically stripping away someone's livelihood and joy for all those years and not being able to compete at a level he's used to.

C

Chief00

We all know his injury history - he started during games in three seasons.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I feel like Gilbert is going through something very similar to many point guards at a similar place over the years. The difference is most of them were sophomores and Gilbert is in his fourth year because of injuries. The things that were said about sophomore-year Shabazz and Taliek are sounding pretty familiar, but Gilbert is if anything getting less benefit of the doubt (not that those guys weren't getting killed here, too)

Reaction Score
That's true but doesn't tell the whole story. He started and played 3 games as a freshman, 6 games as a soph. He played 25 games last year and didn't finish the season. Basically he has played 34 games of live basketball over a period of 3-4 years? I didn't even count the games he missed in HS either. That's a whole lot of missed time in a practice only setting and sitting on the sidelines. I can't imagine how frustrating that could be. That's basically stripping away someone's livelihood and joy for all those years and not being able to compete at a level he's used to.
It doesn't matter and I agree with your point but he's played 53 games at UConn.

Reaction Score
Hope to see AG back in the roll of helping the team make the NCAA T. May be a supporting team member he would be good at that.
Anthony is great in all the articles he writes. We are lucky to have him..
Good luck to AG and the team should know we are behind them all the way.
The young players should do everything to help CV and AG go out,on a tournament team.

Reaction Score
Hope to see AG back in the roll of helping the team make the NCAA T. May be a supporting team member he would be good at that.
Anthony is great in all the articles he writes. We are lucky to have him..
Good luck to AG and the team should know we are behind them all the way.
The young players should do everything to help CV and AG go out,on a tournament team.
Except for when Anthony is running hit pieces on Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
AG is not playing up to his capabilities. The constant going into the lane without a plan, in key moments, has been brutal.

That being said, we're jumping ahead here and imagining that this was the source of UConn's problems all along. we just went from playing 4 nationally ranked teams in a row to playing a Temple team that is struggling, to say the least.

I hope the team can improve and compete with the best of the AAC but let's not pretend that we have the answers yet, especially as we're playing better teams than Tulsa.

I think we need an Alterique that plays within himself in order to maximize this team's performance.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Hope everything works out for Gilbert and it’s been a rough ride for him. What stood out and slapped me in the face is the fact that UConn has a McDonald’s all American that has never had a winning season. That’s a marker that would seem unbelievable years ago.

Reaction Score
Didn’t that little weasel Schefty get sued by JPP for leaking the xrays of his stump hand?

Reaction Score
Didn’t that little weasel Schefty get sued by JPP for leaking the xrays of his stump hand?

Yes. They settled the suit. He literally tweeted out the medical chart.

Reaction Score
Um, he’s been around the program since 2016??? The injuries have kept him off the court but he should know better by now then to play like he has.
Injured , on the sidelines, rehabbing his shoulder twice. Watching practice and actually participating and 2 different things.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Injured , on the sidelines, rehabbing his shoulder twice. Watching practice and actually participating and 2 different things.
So are we supposed to keep him around for seven years so that he can have 3 years of experience and act like a normal senior? I'm confused about what kind of argument you're trying to make.

Reaction Score
So are we supposed to keep him around for seven years so that he can have 3 years of experience and act like a normal senior? I'm confused about what kind of argument you're trying to make.
My argument is - you can't say he is a 3 year starter like some are claiming - that's BS. Base your assessment of his play on where he is in playing time - he is a mid year sophomore. Carlton is a junior, CV a senior. I am not saying anything about him staying or leaving.

Reaction Score
I worked my whole career as a medical professional in an educational setting. FERPA & HIPPA are laws for a reason. How many times has a University refused to comment because of a student's s right to privacy. Should be respected here also. Dont like my stance too bad - it comes from years of experience in the field.

Educational setting is the key phrase here. HIPPA is another federal law chasing a problem that 99.9% of the population never experiences but it impacts on costs of care and wastes a great deal of time and expense for both the patients and the practitioners. Huge consulting dollars were made when it was implemented over 25 years ago and the costs for implementing it would have been better spent expanding programs to train primary care providers and all sorts of other services.

In the new digital era we have lots more problems with loss of privacy due to hacking into systems than we have with people carelessly or accidentally (maybe even some purposely) revealing patient information.

HIPPA is sort of like the recorded announcements we hear when we call a doctor's office or some other medical facility. You know, "If this is a medical emergency, hang up and dial 911". That came from a few people with critical health problems calling their doctor and waiting on line for the office to pick up the call but now we all have to listen to it every time we call.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01