Anthony on Gilbert | The Boneyard

Anthony on Gilbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hope Anthony had permission from Gilbert to publish this.

You really are a piece of work. Everything concerns or offends you. This is Major D1 sports. To think it won't be covered is ludicrous. Anthony had/has no obligation to secure Gilbert's permission to write an article that concerns the team. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Really glad he wrote this - maybe it can give some posters on here some perspective as they trash the kid.

I hope he comes back and smiles through the rest of whatever this season holds. Teammates adore Gilbert. Some fans do, too, and all should. If he leaves the program as a truly happy person, that’s a victory.

Reaction Score
You really are a piece of work. Everything concerns or offends you. This is Major D1 sports. To think it won't be covered is ludicrous. Anthony had/has no obligation to secure Gilbert's permission to write an article that concerns the team. Unbelievable.

@Kathy must have at least 10 lawsuits going for feeling offended or wronged. I'll call my lawyer after this post.

Reaction Score
Feel for the kid! Injuries really derailed a super promising career so far. He stuck by UConn when lots of others bolted though, but hasn’t experienced a winning season. If he’s not back next year, I hope he grad transfers to a good program and plays well, shows what he’s got

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Great article from Mike Anthony. I am reminded that these student athletes we cheer for and sometimes (often?) criticize are human beings who experience joy, pain, frustration, and disappointment just like the rest of us- plus have great expectations to succeed. That's a heavy load to carry, but it's encouraging to see in Al's case, and in most cases, he is not carrying it on his own. I feel this article needed to be written. Well done, Mr. Anthony.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well done by Anthony. Hopefully this is it. Hope Alterique can get his head and heart together and discover joy again playing basketball for UConn. I suspect it will make all the difference. Once he's playing loose and having fun again, success will follow. He used to smile all the time, like Kemba and Magic Johnson. Haven't seen that much for good reason.

Reaction Score
Hope Anthony had permission from Gilbert to publish this.

like you, I am a healthcare professional. On 1st read-through, I didn’t see anything in that article that could be construed as even a minor violation of HIPAA. Everything else seems to be drawn from previously known published info as well as public interviews/statements.

I think it was a really well written and helpful piece of journalism. Rooting for Al to get himself back to his “good place”

Reaction Score
You have become beyond predictable.
I worked my whole career as a medical professional in an educational setting. FERPA & HIPPA are laws for a reason. How many times has a University refused to comment because of a student's s right to privacy. Should be respected here also. Dont like my stance too bad - it comes from years of experience in the field.

Reaction Score
I worked my whole career as a medical professional in an educational setting. FERPA & HIPPA are laws for a reason. How many times has a University refused to comment because of a student's s right to privacy. Should be respected here also. Dont like my stance too bad - it comes from years of experience in the field.

Where exactly is the breach of HIPPA regulations here?

Reaction Score

HIPPA was not vioalated whatsoever. No permission was needed and its all his opinion based on public information. Saying a player could use a mental, emotional and physical break based on all the information we have seen in the last two months is not a violation. Its called free speech.

Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with this article. This article, in fact, helps sympathize and connects the fans to AG's world. He's had a tough college career - countless injuries, rehab and watching on the sidelines. The same type vicious cycle that has caused numerous pros to call it a career.

He was expected to be a senior leader with only 30 or so college games under his belt and not performing to his expectations. He'll be back but just needed to take a step back. He was harder on himself for these missed free throws in the Houston game than the BY was. It probably took a lot of the remaining joy he had for this game. Most people go through a rough patch sometime in their lives except most people aren't in the limelight and their struggles aren't publicized.

Coach Hurley is doing this for good reason. He probably saw this spill onto the practice floor and eventually into games. Coach Hurley, for one, understands. He had a rough patch in his college career at Seton Hall until George Blaney mentored him through. Coach Hurley is more than a basketball coach in this one. He's a life coach and he's drawing from his own experiences to help AG pull through in the same manner.

This is beyond basketball. It's having AG find his way and finding the joy in life and playing ball again.

Reaction Score
It's not that I don't like your stance. It's that your stance is wrong and inaccurate. But that seems to be par for the course for you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

HIPAA doesn't prevent a person's friends and family from talking to the press or anyone else. It restricts UConn and Health Care professionals from sharing protected health information, but that's not what happened here.

Reaction Score
What privacy was violated here? Seriously...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom