Another WVU insider posting UVA and UConn to B1G | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Another WVU insider posting UVA and UConn to B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If the VA and UConn rumor to the B1G is true UL and Cincy would replace MD and VA.

Works for me.

UConn just for olympic sports takes the prize as idiot of the year tweet.

I like the way you think. You and rumrunner have given me hope through all this. "Reporters" with "sources" have not.

Reaction Score
Is this for real....Cincinnati over UConn? How is that even remotely possible

Reaction Score
And you still don't understand why the Big10 took Rutgers? That doesn't speak well of your comprehension skills
And you still don't understand why the Big10 took Rutgers? That doesn't speak well of your comprehension skills
I understand why they took them. I just do not think Rutgers is better then uconn for all the reasons that many have posted here. Are you just being a looking for a fight ?

Reaction Score
Two hours prior to the above tweet, he tweeted:

John@JonVoy
@GSwaim ESPN now pushing both UCONN and Louisville in ,but only Uconn Olympic sports

While this whole exercise has been beyond ridiculous - read that again. ESPN pushing Louisville and UConn but minus football UC football. How stupid does that sound??

Reaction Score
While this whole exercise has been beyond ridiculous - read that again. ESPN pushing Louisville and UConn but minus football UC football. How stupid does that sound??

Most of these guys on Twitter are just making it up as they go along.

Reaction Score

Actually I just heard the olympic sports is all we are joing for. We've agreed to play 12 games vs ACC teams in FB including ND.

NBC is working out a deal to cover all our home games.

Reaction Score
Actually I just heard the olympic sports is all we are joing for. We've agreed to play 12 games vs ACC teams in FB including ND.

NBC is working out a deal to cover all our home games.
Damn it Art. You got me for a split second. I was thinking WTH do they expect us do with our football program!!!!

Reaction Score
everyone needs to relax and relaize all the things going on. we are a lock fopr the acc and have that in the bag. the issue is the acc is getting worried that we are chillin becuase we are tyring hard for a b10 invite. the acc doesn't want to get owned like that media wise if we do get a b10 invite so espn is pumping nay other possibility to the acc besides uconn right now trying to put pressure on uconn and make us seem non valuable to the acc in case we do get that b10 invite. relax everyone. we will be in the acc or b10 soon.
I'd like to take that advice and chill but the fact is I check the yard as often as possible these days for something new. Once we are safe I'll finally relax.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Geez, UConn to join ACC but only for olympic sports is something I never, ever considered.

Where the hell did that come from?

We are actually finding people with less credibility than MHVER3.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

Reaction Score
This whole thing is bull . If FSU was so damn passionate about adding good football where were they when Pitt, the poster child for under achieving football, was added.
In the time machine, going back to the golden era of Pitt football.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I understand why they took them. I just do not think Rutgers is better then uconn for all the reasons that many have posted here. Are you just being a looking for a fight ?

If you understand why they took Rutgers (largest DMA in the USA) and still think Uconn was a better option for the big10 then I'm just confused as to what your reasoning is. All they care about is how many cable systems they can force the BTN on. With more TV's in the Rutgers DMA than anywhere in the country it's pretty obvious that to select uconn would have been a curious choice. I'm not arguing that uconn isn't a far superior athletic department but that clearly has nothing to do with any of this.

Reaction Score
It probably has less than 1% chance of happening, but how pissed would BC, Pitt and Cuse be if we did indeed go to the B1G. Freaking hilarious.

I would travel well in the B1G. At least 2 road trips a year.

Frankly, I'd be happy for you to go to the Big 10. I'd rather not be in same league as you guys any longer, just like Rutgers being in the Big 10. It was a great rivalry we've had, but I don't like having to recruit against you guys, and would rather see you in the Big 10, where I think you'll have a hard time, but at least you'll have a seat at the Big Boys table, which you have earned. Good luck. I think you are going to come out of this OK, but it's gotta suck right now, no question.

Reaction Score
So now it's L'Ville and Cincy going in, UConn "likely" to follow... which means it's still remotely possible to B1G I guess. Or nowhere.

I just don't see Cinci as being a good enough football school to make a difference to Fla State, Va Tech, Ga Tech and Clemson. Louisville at least has some history. Cinci had Brian Kelly. They were nothing before that.

Reaction Score
Nebraska had AAU status when they joined the B1G. They didn't lose it until they were already in.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Nebraska had AAU status when they joined the B1G. They didn't lose it until they were already in.
Yeah but the Big 10 knew they were gonna lose it and they still took them.

Reaction Score
I just don't see Cinci as being a good enough football school to make a difference to Fla State, Va Tech, Ga Tech and Clemson. Louisville at least has some history. Cinci had Brian Kelly. They were nothing before that.

I might be stupid, but what history does Louisville have?

They had one good year in 1990 under Schnellenberger, who went on to coach D2, but only started winning again in 1998 under Smith, all the way through 2005-6 under Petrino. Louisville history, as best I can tell, consists of about 9 or 10 good seasons within a span of 16 or 17 years. all of them recent. Prior to 2004, all those seasons were in a weak CUSA.

Granted, Cincy was MAC level prior to its BE entry, but I'm having a hard time being impressed here.

Reaction Score

The Big10 honchos tried to take it away from Nebraska well before Nebraska joined the conference. In fact, they rigged the procedures to kick Nebraska out.

Reaction Score
bingo. the had it argument is for ppl searching to make noise. the b10 has been after nd for years and we always hear the aau doesnt matter cause its nd. maybe the aau thing isnt what most of u crazy ppl think it is to a sports conf.

Not trying to make noise, just being realistic. Also, while the Big Ten may have been aware that Nebraska was at risk of losing AAU status, there is no way that they could have known they would for sure lose it. Nebraska was invited to join in the summer of 2010, the vote to remove them wasn't until almost a full year later. Nebraska had similar circumstances happen previously, and was able to maintain membership, so it wasn't an unfair assumption to think they would be able to survive another vote, especially with all the B1G schools voting for them to keep it.

While the B1G is a sports conference, every member is also part of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, which makes it an academic conference as well. The presidents of the schools vote on membership, not the ADs or Delany.

Reaction Score
Not trying to make noise, just being realistic. Also, while the Big Ten may have been aware that Nebraska was at risk of losing AAU status, there is no way that they could have known they would for sure lose it. Nebraska was invited to join in the summer of 2010, the vote to remove them wasn't until almost a full year later. Nebraska had similar circumstances happen previously, and was able to maintain membership, so it wasn't an unfair assumption to think they would be able to survive another vote, especially with all the B1G schools voting for them to keep it.

While the B1G is a sports conference, every member is also part of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, which makes it an academic conference as well. The presidents of the schools vote on membership, not the ADs or Delany.

This is wrong.

The heads of the committee met in 2009 to oust Nebraska. The chair was the Prez of Michigan, and the assistant was Wisky's Pres., who is now at Amherst. When the vote was about to be taken, the Prez. took an informal poll and realized she didn't have the votes to oust Nebraska. So she postponed the vote on Nebraska's membership. She had the knives out already--and this was well before Nebraska was in talks to become a member. When the committee reconvened a year later (after Nebraska had been admitted to the Big10) she stacked it. Graham Spanier, the Prez. at the time at PSU and the former Prez. of Nebraska, told his counterpart at Nebraska exactly how the deal went down, he explained exactly who stabbed him in the back, and worse than that, he said that they wanted Nebraska out in 2009 but didn't have the votes, so they rigged the committee.

Reaction Score
This is wrong.

The heads of the committee met in 2009 to oust Nebraska. The chair was the Prez of Michigan, and the assistant was Wisky's Pres., who is now at Amherst. When the vote was about to be taken, the Prez. took an informal poll and realized she didn't have the votes to oust Nebraska. So she postponed the vote on Nebraska's membership. She had the knives out already--and this was well before Nebraska was in talks to become a member. When the committee reconvened a year later (after Nebraska had been admitted to the Big10) she stacked it. Graham Spanier, the Prez. at the time at PSU and the former Prez. of Nebraska, told his counterpart at Nebraska exactly how the deal went down, he explained exactly who stabbed him in the back, and worse than that, he said that they wanted Nebraska out in 2009 but didn't have the votes, so they rigged the committee.

Do you have a source for this? While I don't doubt the University of Michigan's arrogance, they don't speak for the entire B1G, and Nebraska obviously had enough support to get into the B1G with or without them.

Look, I'm not trying to be negative. UConn is right in the middle of the B1G based on national rankings so I'm not saying they're not worthy of AAU, and I agree with the other post that says it's a matter of time before they apply. I'm just saying that the AAU membership is key to getting an invite, and if the B1G expands further (and that's still a pretty big if at this point), they'll likely use AAU as a criteria just so they can claim they're better than the other big conferences even if they constantly get wrecked in the football rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom