Another viral dunk for Kwintin Williams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another viral dunk for Kwintin Williams

Reaction Score
I read the BY because there are many here with insight to share. I prefer that the insights be delivered without pretension and self-aggrandizement.

C

Chief00

Casual fan in the context that you use it is condescending, not offensive. Use whatever word you want, just pointing out the reason why you use the term.
Not meant that way at all - I have totally embraced the casual fans other than perhaps when people sit home watching games on HD TV and complain about me wanting more top flight home games.

Reaction Score
Kwintin has a gift and You can't blame him for working on it. Some way he will parlay that jumping/dunking ability into a career. Globetrotters? He's a hard worker so if he wants to stay at UConn for 3 years I think we will see some good results.

Reaction Score
I cannot be the only person who thinks the phrase "casual fan" is the most condescending BS phrase that gets thrown around here, right? It completely comes off like, "for all of you who are not me, you couldn't possibly understand. It's just too complex for you plebes."
Hey I resemble that remark

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hopefully, these videos are not an indication of how he prioritizes his basketball practice time.
He may be a great kid - but a coach has got to say if I see one more of these dunk videos (other than in a game) and you are not shooting 80% from the line etc.
Cheifoo
You've expressed this at least two prior times - I think we get your opinion/thoughts
I enjoy looking at these as the kid is doing this during some fun time
If the kid can't do anything but this, as much as some would like to think otherwise, I doubt KO would recruit a kid with such a limited skillset.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
That looks alot like the LA Fitness court in South Windsor/Manchester, maybe he is already transitioning to campus as we speak.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Partly there but not entirely. We know Kwintin's assist to turnover ratio, foul shooting and other statistics. Given the results in these areas we know that historically he has not prioritized developing these skills enough to be a productive player in competitive games.
I am very excited about Kwintin, his physical gifts and upside. I also recognize the casual fan is going to look at it very differently and that's part of my concern. Kwintin needs to please his coaches not followers on the internet.
I know this is a losing battle making this argument because his dunks to a casual fan are like candy to kids. Yet, I want to win games.

His assist to turnover ratio from one year of playing JUCO ball is 0.1 below Stanley Robinson and Gavin Edwards's their senior year. I feel like they were fairly productive in competitive games that season. It's also a hair above DeAndre Daniels's his junior year. Would it be fair to call him productive in that place and time as well? Not to mention above Hasheem's in both his So. and Jr. seasons as well.

This isn't to say Kwintin will come close to replicating those performances. I maintain that he should be #12 out of 12 on this roster in terms of where he stands in the rotation. I'm just pointing out that you cherry-picking one statistic from one year of JUCO ball to comment on the skill development of a player you've never seen play is, well, nonsensical (but to be expected from you).

If inferences on skill development based on JUCO statistics were valid, then your boy Sam Jr. would've showcased a much more developed offensive game and shooting touch during his time in a Husky uniform, instead of jacking up ill-advised shots in garbage time.

Furthermore, I have reason to believe your "assessment" of Kwintin is related to your personal problems with KO not showing Calhoun enough respect in your mind. If KO were meeting your standards in terms of placing enough phone calls to Calhoun per month, we would not be reading such poorly thought-out arguments and mis-applications of statistics. All in all, you've taken a stance that makes you look like the most casual of fans.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Partly there but not entirely. We know Kwintin's assist to turnover ratio, foul shooting and other statistics. Given the results in these areas we know that historically he has not prioritized developing these skills enough to be a productive player in competitive games.
I am very excited about Kwintin, his physical gifts and upside. I also recognize the casual fan is going to look at it very differently and that's part of my concern. Kwintin needs to please his coaches not followers on the internet.
I know this is a losing battle making this argument because his dunks to a casual fan are like candy to kids. Yet, I want to win games.
slightly disagree. This fanbase and team needs energy and excitement and this is what he is doing. I'm assuming and hoping he is doing more than dunks. If our team stays healthy all he needs to do besides improve offensively is rebound, bring energy on both ends, and finish everything around the rim. We desperately need energy and enthusiasm

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
someone i think mentioned in the last thread but when is he getting on campus???

Reaction Score
This kid will say a lot about the staffs ability to develop talent. Nobody can say the tools aren't there, I'm excited to watch his development..

He has the tools because he can jump high? I'm not saying he doesn't, I just don't know what we've seen so far - beyond his stats at the JuCo level - that separates him other world class athletes.

I'm not trying to dampen the excitement at all, but posts like these just set the table for false narratives to be rolled out about the staff when it turns out he's not good enough.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He has the tools because he can jump high? I'm not saying he doesn't, I just don't know what we've seen so far - beyond his stats at the JuCo level - that separates him other world class athletes.

I'm not trying to dampen the excitement at all, but posts like these just set the table for false narratives to be rolled out about the staff when it turns out he's not good enough.
He's already built well, and is extremely athletic. Those are tools.

Reaction Score
His assist to turnover ratio from one year of playing JUCO ball is 0.1 below Stanley Robinson and Gavin Edwards's their senior year. I feel like they were fairly productive in competitive games that season. It's also a hair above DeAndre Daniels's his junior year. Would it be fair to call him productive in that place and time as well? Not to mention above Hasheem's in both his So. and Jr. seasons as well.

This isn't to say Kwintin will come close to replicating those performances. I maintain that he should be #12 out of 12 on this roster in terms of where he stands in the rotation. I'm just pointing out that you cherry-picking one statistic from one year of JUCO ball to comment on the skill development of a player you've never seen play is, well, nonsensical (but to be expected from you).

If inferences on skill development based on JUCO statistics were valid, then your boy Sam Jr. would've showcased a much more developed offensive game and shooting touch during his time in a Husky uniform, instead of jacking up ill-advised shots in garbage time.

Furthermore, I have reason to believe your "assessment" of Kwintin is related to your personal problems with KO not showing Calhoun enough respect in your mind. If KO were meeting your standards in terms of placing enough phone calls to Calhoun per month, we would not be reading such poorly thought-out arguments and mis-applications of statistics. All in all, you've taken a stance that makes you look like the most casual of fans.
Rekt

Reaction Score
He's already built well, and is extremely athletic. Those are tools.

They're tools, yes, but there are a lot of tools. I get the sense that the ones that will define Williams' career - his instincts and his motor, more or less - are the ones that are the hardest to teach. He's not somebody I look to as far as skill development goes. I'll judge Ollie primarily by what I see from the top four kids on the roster.

Reaction Score

Is there any greater a calling card for the casual fan than a nonsensical opinion based on uninformed assumptions? He would fit right in calling in to sports talk radio.

Reaction Score

Some people consider skills as part of tools, and some people only consider raw athleticism. It's an ambiguity of definition.

Reaction Score
then your boy Sam Jr. would've showcased . . . instead of jacking up ill-advised shots in garbage time.
For the record, our man Sam Cassel Jr. didn't limit his ill advised shot jacking to garbage time. On no. Dat boy fired up ill advised shots all game long. You got the feeling he started his day by finishing a bowl of Capt'n Crunch and throwing a half filled pint of milk off the wall behind the garbage, splattering it everywhere, and it ended it with spitting toothpaste wildly into the sink, fouling the mirror and faucet. Fishy pegged him in game 3 or 4. He was a pure gunner.

Reaction Score
Sure he will be working on his shooting, but if you think he wont be doing circus dunks at the end of practices and posting them to social media, you're dead wrong. Honestly if anything it will help bring a little bit of excitement back to UConn basketball. If the country is somewhat paying attention to his dunks week by week, and they're watching videos with our logo at center court, that's eyes and in the AAC we need all the reasons we can get for eyes on our team/logo/court

Reaction Score
Lots of potential here. Potential he develops into a great fit for our team (he doesnt neccessarily have to be a great shooter for that). Potential for him to develop into a potential NBA talent. Potential for other players of his size and athleticism to think of Uconn when they think of developing into an NBA player. Lots of potential on alot of different fronts with just this one player. However, its just potential right now. We have time to see where this goes. Right now, if he can go out there and just give us a little excitement and something to cheer about I'm ok with that. If he gives us more, even better. I'm just looking forward to the fun he can bring. That fun energy and players enjoying being on the court can lead to alot of positive things for the entire team, can change the feel of things on the floor. I'm hoping for that. Lets see how things play out, but as usual I'm optimistic.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just the opposite - I have always been appreciative of casual fans' contribution to UConn Nation. UConn needs them, as I have said many times.

Now you simply need to recognize that you are one, and don't know any more than the other people here. It's use of casual fan in the third person that is annoying. If you said "we casual fans" or "casual fans like me", then all would be well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom