Another viral dunk for Kwintin Williams | The Boneyard

Another viral dunk for Kwintin Williams

Reaction Score
Happy to see other Huskies interacting with him on social media. Up until pretty recently, no one on the team was even following his instagram. I assume they still haven't even met? Season starts in a few months..

Sick dunk though, for sure.

C

Chief00

Hopefully, these videos are not an indication of how he prioritizes his basketball practice time.
He may be a great kid - but a coach has got to say if I see one more of these dunk videos (other than in a game) and you are not shooting 80% from the line etc.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, these videos are not an indication of how he prioritizes his basketball practice time.
He may be a great kid - but a coach has got to say if I see one more of these dunk videos (other than in a game) and you are not shooting 80% from the line etc.

I too hope he spends a lot more time on basketball skills than his dunks, but its all relative and it's naive of us to expect him to be doing exactly what we think he should be doing.

This is his personal time and his choice. He can work on whatever he wants to work on because (1) he's grown enough (emphasis added) to know the outcomes depend on the inputs and (2) he is the best position to judge what he can/should improve on his own and what he'll the staff to help him improve (i.e., why shoot 1,000 free throws if you're not confident you're approaching the mechanics properly? why not wait to tweak your jumpshot until Chill/Kill/KO have had a better chance to analyze, etc.)

Same goes for any other kid on the team. CV was chillin & jet skiing in the Hamptons a short while back & Jalen was recently hanging in Miami Beach. No need for us to scrutinize them, it's their summer and their choice (and we frankly don't know how much work they are putting in behind the scenes).

Reaction Score
That was a pretty absurd dunk. 180 above the head then through the legs one hander.

C

Chief00

I too hope he spends a lot more time on basketball skills than his dunks, but its all relative and it's naive of us to expect him to be doing exactly what we think he should be doing.

This is his personal time and his choice. He can work on whatever he wants to work on because (1) he's grown enough (emphasis added) to know the outcomes depend on the inputs and (2) he is the best position to judge what he can/should improve on his own and what he'll the staff to help him improve (i.e., why shoot 1,000 free throws if you're not confident you're approaching the mechanics properly? why not wait to tweak your jumpshot until Chill/Kill/KO have had a better chance to analyze, etc.)

Same goes for any other kid on the team. CV was chillin & jet skiing in the Hamptons a short while back & Jalen was recently hanging in Miami Beach. No need for us to scrutinize them, it's their summer and their choice (and we frankly don't know how much work they are putting in behind the scenes).

I appreciate your post but I don't agree with the thrust of it.

Quite frankly, Jalan and CV already put in a lot of work this summer on campus. Kwintin had to spend the summer finishing up JUCO and working on dunk videos.

From a coach's perspective, I don't believe Kwintin is at the point where he can be left to his own devices - guidance is needed.

I know the casual fan may look at things very differently and that is their right. They might be more interested in entertainment content than winning games. I am not being condescending and saying one viewpoint is better than the other. It depends on your goals. Mine is winning games.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your post but I don't agree with the thrust of it.

Quite frankly, Jalan and CV already put in a lot of work this summer on campus. Kwintin had to spend the summer finishing up JUCO and working on dunk videos.

From a coach's perspective, I don't believe Kwintin is at the point where he can be left to his own devices - guidance is needed.

I know the casual fan may look at things very differently and that is their right. They might be more interested in entertainment content than winning games. I am not being condescending and saying one viewpoint is better than the other. It depends on your goals. Mine is winning games.
TL;DR

I have no idea how Kwintin is spending his time, however based on a couple of videos posted during the summer, I'm going to assume that all time spent on the court is spent developing creative dunks to go viral.

Did I get the gist of that?

Reaction Score
I cannot be the only person who thinks the phrase "casual fan" is the most condescending BS phrase that gets thrown around here, right? It completely comes off like, "for all of you who are not me, you couldn't possibly understand. It's just too complex for you plebes."

C

Chief00

TL;DR

I have no idea how Kwintin is spending his time, however based on a couple of videos posted during the summer, I'm going to assume that all time spent on the court is spent developing creative dunks to go viral.

Did I get the gist of that?

Partly there but not entirely. We know Kwintin's assist to turnover ratio, foul shooting and other statistics. Given the results in these areas we know that historically he has not prioritized developing these skills enough to be a productive player in competitive games.
I am very excited about Kwintin, his physical gifts and upside. I also recognize the casual fan is going to look at it very differently and that's part of my concern. Kwintin needs to please his coaches not followers on the internet.
I know this is a losing battle making this argument because his dunks to a casual fan are like candy to kids. Yet, I want to win games.

Reaction Score
Partly there but not entirely. We know Kwintin's assist to turnover ratio, foul shooting and other statistics. Given the results in these areas we know that historically he has not prioritized developing these skills enough to be a productive player in competitive games.
I am very excited about Kwintin, his physical gifts and upside. I also recognize the casual fan is going to look at it very differently and that's part of my concern. Kwintin needs to please his coaches not followers on the internet.
Nope, pretty sure that response just confirmed I nailed it exactly.

C

Chief00

I cannot be the only person who thinks the phrase "casual fan" is the most condescending BS phrase that gets thrown around here, right? It completely comes off like, "for all of you who are not me, you couldn't possibly understand. It's just too complex for you plebes."

Just the opposite - I have always been appreciative of casual fans' contribution to UConn Nation. UConn needs them, as I have said many times.

Reaction Score
That's exactly how it's meant to come off. It allows Chief to present his opinions as what he believes to be more authoritative without having to produce and defend logic to back them up.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

That's exactly how it's meant to come off. It allows Chief to present his opinions as what he believes to be more authoritarian without having to produce and defend logic to back them up.
Casual fan is an innonuous term - but if it somehow is offensive (for those who travel life's journey looking to be offended, a victim or in need of false indignation) let me know what other term captures the same meaning in a less offensive way to you.

Reaction Score
My sources tell me he spent 5 hours at the gym yesterday and practiced nothing but dunks - about 1500 of them. He feels that once he has perfected the dunk he can move on to a three foot jumper. On occasion, while relaxing between dunks, he takes a couple of ft.

Reaction Score
Casual fan is an innonuous term - but if it somehow is offensive (for those who travel life's journey looking to be offended, a victim or in need of false indignation) let me know what other term captures the same meaning in a less offensive way to you.
Casual fan in the context that you use it is condescending, not offensive. Use whatever word you want, just pointing out the reason why you use the term.

Reaction Score
Capture.PNG

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom