Angel Not Playing Tonight. Maybe Suspended Indefinitely | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Angel Not Playing Tonight. Maybe Suspended Indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
By the way, that is in no way an excuse for Angel's behavior. If she's injured, say so. If she's fatigued, say so. This whole "mysterious" thing is just silly for a professional athlete.

Reaction Score
I do think if you look at Olympic players returning to WNBA you see a lot of problems:
Diana - big broohaha
Sue - missed a game or two
Fowles - has missed the last two games for 'personal reasons'
Lauren J - missed a week+
Cambage - not playing the rest of the season
Angel - whatever is happening
Asjha - out injured
I'm sure their are more, but that is a significant list by itself.
I also find the comments about the Olympic team to be a little interesting. NOTHING came out during the month nor for the two weeks after - suddenly there are all these remors of discontent - I have a little trouble believing it. And the picture of Angel riding on Geno's back after the final win doesn't suggest a trouble relationship, nor do Angel's comments about everything she learned during the month.

I have no insights except that Angel is a tremendously complicated individual...if I hear anything when I get back to Atlanta, I'll report here...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
By the way, that is in no way an excuse for Angel's behavior. If she's injured, say so. If she's fatigued, say so. This whole "mysterious" thing is just silly for a professional athlete.
I think the problem with fatigue whether physical/mental/emotional is that you often don't know what it is - you just know you feel like and can't function normally - so the general answer is 'personal reasons'. She did say after the one game she played that her 'legs' just weren't under her.
I agree completely about the stress on all the USA players in terms of non-stop playing. It is tougher on the USA players as they are expected to play in the WNBA while no one gets bent out of shape when a foreign player opts out of the WNBA season.
I also was really surprised to hear Nykesha was still playing pro ball in Europe - I had thought she had completely retired. She is the only US player I can think of that has the talent to be playing in the WNBA who is only playing in Europe and has been doing this for the last 4 years. Her reason - she started having physical problems and knew she couldn't play 12 months any more. And she chose Europe.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Give them a break. Most of those players are playing year round with tons of travel, and they come home to a league that pays them next to nothing compared to overseas teams. Then they represent their country for free (yes, I know thye win money with medals, but still. If they get injured that money isn't worth it).

Do you think a single NBA player would take three weeks in the middle of the season to go to the Olympics? Hell no. Those women desreve a few weeks of rest, I don't think it's going to make the WNBA fold immediately. If that were going to happen it would have happened the first three Olympic years.

They play for free but they get money? Playing for free apparently pays better than it used to.

Sorry, we hear all this talk about how the Olympics are a chance to showcase and grow women's basketball and then when the opportunity to actually increase popularity in the US presents itself then many of the players want to come home and take a break. They can't complain about the state of pro basketball in the US if they miss this opportunity that comes along every four years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Give them a break. Most of those players are playing year round with tons of travel, and they come home to a league that pays them next to nothing compared to overseas teams. Then they represent their country for free (yes, I know thye win money with medals, but still. If they get injured that money isn't worth it).

Do you think a single NBA player would take three weeks in the middle of the season to go to the Olympics? Hell no. Those women desreve a few weeks of rest, I don't think it's going to make the WNBA fold immediately. If that were going to happen it would have happened the first three Olympic years.
To your point about the NBA players, I respect the hell out of the guys who went to London this Olympic cycle after playing a compressed schedule this past season. You could win a gold medal with a starting lineup of players who couldn't go: Rose, Wade, Bosh, Griffin, Howard. So you can imagine how I feel about the women.

If I were a season ticket holder, I'd want the ladies to have a break after the olympics. Why should I commit to paying for a game months in advance when I don't even know who's going to be healthy enough or fit enough to play for a long stretch of the season

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
They play for free but they get money? Playing for free apparently pays better than it used to.

Sorry, we hear all this talk about how the Olympics are a chance to showcase and grow women's basketball and then when the opportunity to actually increase popularity in the US presents itself then many of the players want to come home and take a break. They can't complain about the state of pro basketball in the US if they miss this opportunity that comes along every four years.
They don't miss the opportunity. And then they pay for it physically. That is the point. No one who received a spot on the team bowed out of going to London.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to go to a college-only team so that these professional players don't put themselves through the grind of the Olympics, resulting in fatigue. The college players are off in the summer so there would be no conflict with professional commitments.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, that's one solution. But the players are competitive and want to play for their country and win. It's such a cool opportunity, why on earth would we not want them to have it? And I'm sorry, I don't buy this "growing the game" stuff. That's not their responsibility. They are there to play and win, just like any other athlete, and if people see them and like what they see, great.

And really, how is it such a big deal if they miss a few weeks of the WNBA season every four years? I'd rather they be healthy and able to play for more years than burn out early or get injured from fatigue or overuse. I would gladly give up seeing them on their pro teams for a few weeks to have the chance to see D, Sue, Maya, Tina, CP, etc play together.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to go to a college-only team so that these professional players don't put themselves through the grind of the Olympics, resulting in fatigue. The college players are off in the summer so there would be no conflict with professional commitments.
Or ... maybe we should just realize that once every four years some USA players may not be available for the full WNBA season. At some point USA will lose the gold medal in the Olympics and everyone will start talking about allowing the national team players to practice all spring/summer to prepare for the Olympics. What a novel concept (that the rest of teh world already does!)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score

Plus, it wouldn't be fair to the college teams either if players were to give up their summer to play in the Olympics. What if they get injured? I bet you would be livid if Griner and Simms both were somehow hurt. I know UConn fans would be very worried watching their players. Obviously it's a risk to the pros as well, but as I am more of a WCBB fan than pro, I for one would not want to see anything happen to a player who would obviously be vital to her college team. College players, no matter how strong and seasoned, are not professionals, but would be playing against teams with players who have been pros for years. Not worth the risk, IMO.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Plus, it wouldn't be fair to the college teams either if players were to give up their summer to play in the Olympics. What if they get injured? I bet you would be livid if Griner and Simms both were somehow hurt. I know UConn fans would be very worried watching their players. Obviously it's a risk to the pros as well, but as I am more of a WCBB fan than pro, I for one would not want to see anything happen to a player who would obviously be vital to her college team. College players, no matter how strong and seasoned, are not professionals, but would be playing against teams with players who have been pros for years. Not worth the risk, IMO.
Of course this summer a lot of college incoming freshman were playing USA basketball!!! And when they have the U19 games next year they will be college players. I am not that worried about the injuries - they can happen in the pick-up games folks play just as easily as in the competitions.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
NHL players take time out in the middle of their season to play in the Olympics. So, the WNBA players are not unique.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Of course this summer a lot of college incoming freshman were playing USA basketball!!! And when they have the U19 games next year they will be college players. I am not that worried about the injuries - they can happen in the pick-up games folks play just as easily as in the competitions.

True, of course.

There is a purely selfish reason I want to see pros in the Olympics, though. I want the USA to win, and handily.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
NHL players take time out in the middle of their season to play in the Olympics. So, the WNBA players are not unique.

NHL players also get an actual offseason to rest. WNBA players (most of them) go play overseas.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Injuries happen regardless. It is a chance you take. Players play year round. They can get hurt in a pick-up game or in practice. That is a non-factor to me.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't get what your issue is...that some players are taking a few weeks off around the Olympics to rest/heal? What exactly is the problem with that?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, that's one solution. But the players are competitive and want to play for their country and win. It's such a cool opportunity, why on earth would we not want them to have it? And I'm sorry, I don't buy this "growing the game" stuff. That's not their responsibility. They are there to play and win, just like any other athlete, and if people see them and like what they see, great.

And really, how is it such a big deal if they miss a few weeks of the WNBA season every four years? I'd rather they be healthy and able to play for more years than burn out early or get injured from fatigue or overuse. I would gladly give up seeing them on their pro teams for a few weeks to have the chance to see D, Sue, Maya, Tina, CP, etc play together.

Wasn't it Geno who said the winning ugly wouldn't help grow the game? Yes, it is their responsibility if they want to help gain greater respect in the USA. Didn't Geno bemoan the fact that DT doesn't get greater respect? Sitting out prior to and after the Olympucs certainly doesn't help.

Some players and coaches know that they do have a responsibility to grow the game. What if Billie Jean King had had the "it's not my responsibility" attitude? Each generation has a responsibility to give back to the game that has given so much to them.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
So what exactly are they supposed to do, then? If they are supposed to "grow the game", I would argue that the best way to do that would be to play very well on a world stage. This would require them to actually have more time to practice together, but they make do so that they don't spend too much time away from their pro teams, which they are also required to play for while they "grow the game". Oh, but they don't make enough money to just play in the WNBA (some do, obviously, but it's nowhere near what they make overseas) so they have to supplement that with European or Asian teams in the offseason.

And the majority of players choose to play in the WNBA to do just that..."grow the game". They could easily play only overseas, take the summer off and make plenty of money. But they kill themselves to play all year round to make the WNBA competitive and compelling for an American audience, and then take three weeks to go play in a major tournament, where they have to not only win but "not win ugly", and then come back and jump right back into league play.

Soooo again, I don't see a problem with them taking a few weeks off. In the long run, it does help grow the game by seeing the best players at the Olympics, and at their physical peaks.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't get what your issue is...that some players are taking a few weeks off around the Olympics to rest/heal? What exactly is the problem with that?

White...now you say black.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wasn't it Geno who said the winning ugly wouldn't help grow the game? Yes, it is their responsibility if they want to help gain greater respect in the USA. Didn't Geno bemoan the fact that DT doesn't get greater respect? Sitting out prior to and after the Olympucs certainly doesn't help.

Some players and coaches know that they do have a responsibility to grow the game. What if Billie Jean King had had the "it's not my responsibility" attitude? Each generation has a responsibility to give back to the game that has given so much to them.
I don't know. Did Geno "bemoan" that? how about a link? you've been on here a ton lately and your snark is wearing thin with many. you seem to really enjoy criticizing Geno. several people have called you out on it and your snotty comment is "just put me on ignore". You are a guest on our board.

You seem to love to throw out comments with zero facts to back them up. Diana had a hip flexor injury. You make it sound like she was lazy or had some other reason for sitting out. How are players not giving back? what players specifically are guilty of that in your eyes? how about some facts instead of the normal fluff you throw out there?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I don't think anyone is questioning that responsibility, but we are also recognizing that these are also individuals who have to make their own way in the world. Diana has been playing basketball professionally for 12 months a year for 8 years. The toll that takes on a persons body is tremendous. She cannot afford not to play in Europe where she makes her money and for eight years she has played in the WNBA to 'pay it forward' for the league and women's basketball. She talked about needing some personal time a few years ago and maybe needing to take a summer off - but she didn't. This year her body did start to break down in the first half of the WNBA season and she sat out to heal enough to give her all for team USA (which is also 'paying it forward') but that does not mean that she is in great physical shape. I would have had no problem with her coming back and saying 'I just can't do this, I need a break and I am taking it now.' She hasn't done that but has continued to miss some games. There is only so much you can ask of these women, and most if not quite all are giving evrything they can.
In terms of viewers and impact, Team USA was much more important for WBB than the Mercury.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So what exactly are they supposed to do, then? If they are supposed to "grow the game", I would argue that the best way to do that would be to play very well on a world stage. This would require them to actually have more time to practice together, but they make do so that they don't spend too much time away from their pro teams, which they are also required to play for while they "grow the game". Oh, but they don't make enough money to just play in the WNBA (some do, obviously, but it's nowhere near what they make overseas) so they have to supplement that with European or Asian teams in the offseason.

And the majority of players choose to play in the WNBA to do just that..."grow the game". They could easily play only overseas, take the summer off and make plenty of money. But they kill themselves to play all year round to make the WNBA competitive and compelling for an American audience, and then take three weeks to go play in a major tournament, where they have to not only win but "not win ugly", and then come back and jump right back into league play.

Soooo again, I don't see a problem with them taking a few weeks off. In the long run, it does help grow the game by seeing the best players at the Olympics, and at their physical peaks.

My option is that the Olympics should be used by USA basketball as an opportunity to make the WNBA a more relevant product. By coming back and shirking their commitments to their teams and fans then in the grand scheme they are not helping professional basketball for women in the US.

Just my opinion.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would much rather see someone say that they need a break than claim injury.

These players are overextending themselves by playing year-round. My point is that the WNBA, the pro league of the US, is the one paying for them overextending themselves

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I would much rather see someone say that they need a break than claim injury.

These players are overextending themselves by playing year-round. My point is that the WNBA, the pro league of the US, is the one paying for them overextending themselves
I don't know that there is much to be done about that other than going on a more extended break during olympic years to give those who participate time to rest. The league may pay for the current state of things in one sense, but that's partially because it doesn't pay salaries that would keep its players from having to play overseas as well. I'm not saying WNBA players should be paid more- simply saying that a byproduct of that fact is fatigue/physical breakdown/etc. Additionally, it's the league whose season occurs during the Olympics.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
My option is that the Olympics should be used by USA basketball as an opportunity to make the WNBA a more relevant product. By coming back and shirking their commitments to their teams and fans then in the grand scheme they are not helping professional basketball for women in the US.

Just my opinion.

Actually, I don't believe that is your opinion. In fact, I don't believe you have constructed an opinion on this topic. I do believe you have constructed an argument. I also believe you enjoy your contrarian BY persona. So, snark on, ett... snark on... that is, until the peasants storm your castle...

Just my opinion.

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member