Andy Katz AAC 2018-19 Preview | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz AAC 2018-19 Preview

pj

Reaction Score
Casual friend? I question your commitment.

pj is a strong supporter of the casual friends. I love casual friends and have always been their #1 advocate. Earl needed them, and so we should give casual friends our love and support. Although, sometimes we need to tell them to step up. The players deserve better than that level of commitment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They played two more years after that first year fiasco.
Cliff the guy who scored 20,000 pts in a very long NBA career.
Are you saying his UConn coaching never uncovered this potential....

He showed next to no leadership his senior year. That should have been his year, the year after the NIT championship. Instead the team was flat all year, underachieving. The year after he leaves they win 30 and go to the Elite Eight.

Reaction Score
He showed next to no leadership his senior year. That should have been his year, the year after the NIT championship. Instead the team was flat all year, underachieving. The year after he leaves they win 30 and go to the Elite Eight.
My God do you like to tell a partial story typical UConn fan with expectations exceeding reality
Cliff carried a very young Huskie team averaging 20ppg an 7.5 rpg
It was a young team
He and Phil and junior Tate
Freshman ,Smith average 9 a game
They still won 18 games
Playing a tough OCS schedule
That included Purdue (L)and Virginia (W) UMass (W)
and wins against Pepperdine ,Yale,Harvard, Hartford,Fairfield,and Air Force
Going 6-10 in the brutal Big East the most wins in 5 years
Losing 3 times to NCAA finalist Seton Hall twice to top 10 Georgetown
Beating 4 ranked Cuse ,St John’s,BC,Pitt ,and Villanova
and losing in the third round of the NIT
In 1989-90
The returned everyone except Cliff and Phil
Tate was the senior leader
Smith blossomed as a sophomore
Sellers
Depriest
Gwynn
Williams
Cyrulyk
But the two freshman additions that made that team the best UConn defensive team ever Scott Burrell and Nadev Henefeld

That was not a great team except for defense and a pressing style we’v never seen the likes of again .

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Larry Davis is retiring. He's been Mick's top assistant since he got to Cincinnati in 2006. You may recall that he took over as HC the season Mick was out with his health scare. Notable that he was the lead recruiter on Jacob Evans, Troy Caupain, Gary Clark and Kyle Washington.

Big loss for the program. Wonder how he'll be replaced with just a month until practice start.

Cincinnati Men’s Hoops‏Verified account @GoBearcatsMBB
After 30 years in the profession and 12 seasons with the UC men's basketball program, associate head coach Larry Davis is retiring.

Reaction Score
Larry Davis is retiring. He's been Mick's top assistant since he got to Cincinnati in 2006. You may recall that he took over as HC the season Mick was out with his health scare. Notable that he was the lead recruiter on Jacob Evans, Troy Caupain, Gary Clark and Kyle Washington.

Big loss for the program. Wonder how he'll be replaced with just a month until practice start.

After 30 years in the profession and 12 seasons with the UC men's basketball program, associate head coach Larry Davis is retiring.
Why now? Shouldn't he have done this last April? Health issues?

kobe

Reaction Score
Why now? Shouldn't he have done this last April? Health issues?
It was not health related from everything I've heard. He was the lead recruiter on Prince Gilliam who was a late addition to the 2018 class (literally enrolled in school last week). Apparently Davis had been working with Gilliam and his family to reclassify from 2019 to 2018 for the past several months. I think now that he's officially enrolled, Davis feels like his work has been done. IDK its a weird timing for sure.

Reaction Score

That's a big loss. Great coach and loyal as hell. He certainly could have gotten a quality HC position somewhere else. Congrats on a great career.

Reaction Score

Love this quote:
Fresh faces at USF: Brian Gregory is in his second season with the Bulls and will lean heaving on T.J. Lang,

The coach may well be heaving................

Reaction Score
That's a big loss. Great coach and loyal as hell. He certainly could have gotten a quality HC position somewhere else. Congrats on a great career.

Is Davis the hang dog looking guy that Cronin berates at every time out?
Bad call by the ref, yell at Davis.
Bad play on offense, yell at Davis.
Etc.

Reaction Score
TIL UConn has never finished better than 12-6 in the AAC and Cincinnati has never finished worse than 12-6. #Trolling[/QUOTE

Fun way to tout your team on a UConn site, but honestly (not trying to be nasty) how do Cincinnati fans feel when the team makes the tournament with a decent seed and then bows out early every year?

Are they OK with it because making the tournament is a positive and the outcome makes them feel just like Kansas fans?

Reaction Score
Yet uconn has 7 tournament wins in 2 NCAA appearances with a national championship while Cincy has 3 wins and no sweet sixteen in that time despite making the tournament every year.

#trolling

Wow, Cincy has only 3 wins in 8 tournament appearances?

How long before the NCAA disqualifies them from any future tournaments?

kobe

Reaction Score

was uconn disqualified from the ncaa the past few years? haven't seen them in the bracket recently. #ShouldHaveKeptOllie #Trolling

Reaction Score

I don't think we're in any position right now to start this discussion. Let's wait 2 or 3 more years when we're back. Then we can talk smack again.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is Davis the hang dog looking guy that Cronin berates at every time out?
Bad call by the ref, yell at Davis.
Bad play on offense, yell at Davis.
Etc.
Among his other duties, Blaney took it for Calhoun at the end. Calhoun got some techs with Blaney on staff. He would have gotten more than a few additional without him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think we're in any position right now to start this discussion. Let's wait 2 or 3 more years when we're back. Then we can talk smack again.

You mean 2 or 3 more months.

Reaction Score
was uconn disqualified from the ncaa the past few years? haven't seen them in the bracket recently. #ShouldHaveKeptOllie #Trolling

If another member of the conference does poorly and that helps make up for your team winning only one game as a 2 seed, good for you.

I asked an honest question about how Cincinnati fans feel when they get hyped, get a good seed, then bow out early, especially since it seems to happen every year. I would be unhappy about it just as I would be if I was a Kansas fan and got all hyped every year with the endless great recruits, home wins and great record but only winning one NC because it was against Calipari . You didn't answer even when I said I wasn't trying to be nasty.

Every fan in this league should root for all the conference teams in the tournament. Cincinnati, Houston, and Wichita St. were all winners deep in my bracket this year because that would have given the league credibility that many have been saying has been unfairly denied.

They win, we win, as it helps all the conference teams to be able to say we got 3 in and they won 6 or 8 games. But with a 2 seed, 4 seed, and 6 seed winning a total of 2 games, that opportunity was lost.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If another member of the conference does poorly and that helps make up for your team winning only one game as a 2 seed, good for you.

I asked an honest question about how Cincinnati fans feel when they get hyped, get a good seed, then bow out early, especially since it seems to happen every year. I would be unhappy about it just as I would be if I was a Kansas fan and got all hyped every year with the endless great recruits, home wins and great record but only winning one NC because it was against Calipari . You didn't answer even when I said I wasn't trying to be nasty.

Every fan in this league should root for all the conference teams in the tournament. Cincinnati, Houston, and Wichita St. were all winners deep in my bracket this year because that would have given the league credibility that many have been saying has been unfairly denied.

They win, we win, as it helps all the conference teams to be able to say we got 3 in and they won 6 or 8 games. But with a 2 seed, 4 seed, and 6 seed winning a total of 2 games, that opportunity was lost.

As a Kansas fan, not really complaining. Haven't missed the tournament since before some on this board were born. Final Fours are fun, even when you don't win it all.

Agree with the rest. We needed Cincy to do better last year. It was disappointing to me. Had to be to @kobe and their fans. Shockers laid an egg as well. Not good.

Reaction Score

I was really shocked seeing that number 3 wins in 8 appearances? Then I looked it up.

Cincy Tourneys:
2011: Round of 32 (1 win)
2012: Sweet Sixteen (2 wins)
2013: First round loss
2014: First round loss
2015: Round of 32 (1 win)
2016: First round loss
2017: Round of 32 (1 win)
2018: Round of 32 (1 win)

So it's not as bad as that -- 6-8 in last 8 tournaments. So not sure where that stat came from but it's wrong. Nothing to write home about, but no nearly that bad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My God do you like to tell a partial story typical UConn fan with expectations exceeding reality
Because I watched the games. You win the NIT and have everyone coming back including your two best players, you should make the big dance the next year. That not called expectations exceeding reality, that's called reality.

Reaction Score
I was really shocked seeing that number 3 wins in 8 appearances? Then I looked it up.

Cincy Tourneys:
2011: Round of 32 (1 win)
2012: Sweet Sixteen (2 wins)
2013: First round loss
2014: First round loss
2015: Round of 32 (1 win)
2016: First round loss
2017: Round of 32 (1 win)
2018: Round of 32 (1 win)

So it's not as bad as that -- 6-8 in last 8 tournaments. So not sure where that stat came from but it's wrong. Nothing to write home about, but no nearly that bad.

So it's three wins in the last six tourneys. Given the seed numbers that is still really bad.

Reaction Score
Cincy losing last year was the worst- they had the team: tough , experienced etc. I will never take Cincy past the second round ever again in any of my brackets - they are kinda like how pitt used to be- tough reg season team but never does *****ish in the tourney

Reaction Score
Well, they've gotta prove they're better than what they've been so far - which is a really bad basketball team. Until they do that, there's no point in picking them to finish higher.

What they have going for them:

-Incredible potential in the backcourt
-New culture that everyone seems to have bought into hook, line and sinker
-A down year in the conference - which with some development from a few select guys - we could make some noise in March in the conference tournament

Everything else is a big, fat question mark. Literally everything. I love what i'm seeing from Cobb on social media and the like - but I dunno what that's going to be. You can't really depend on Freshman to do much more than add some depth at this point. We lack a ton of depth and frankly talent up front. Sure, I'm hoping they give enough to be serviceable, but players have a certain talent capacity and that's that - and I don't think anyone we have is going to be a real difference maker. I *hope* i'm wrong big time, I just don't see it.

I'm hoping for 20 wins this season and a decent amount of post-season basketball with a big step forward in recruiting. Give me that and year-1 under Hurley is a success. Expecting a lot past that is just depending on way too many questions to be answered positively.

Reaction Score
I
Well, they've gotta prove they're better than what they've been so far - which is a really bad basketball team. Until they do that, there's no point in picking them to finish higher.

-A down year in the conference - which with some development from a few select guys - we could make some noise in March in the conference tournament

Everything else is a big, fat question mark. Literally everything. I love what i'm seeing from Cobb on social media and the like - but I dunno what that's going to be. You can't really depend on Freshman to do much more than add some depth at this point. We lack a ton of depth and frankly talent up front. Sure, I'm hoping they give enough to be serviceable, but players have a certain talent capacity and that's that - and I don't think anyone we have is going to be a real difference maker. I *hope* i'm wrong big time, I just don't see it.

I'm hoping for 20 wins this season and a decent amount of post-season basketball with a big step forward in recruiting. Give me that and year-1 under Hurley is a success. Expecting a lot past that is just depending on way too many questions to be answered positively.
I commend you for your objectivity. Your analysis is very realistic. I think most of us, certainly myself, are going with emotions and engaging in a bit of wishful thinking. What you said about talent capacity rings true. Hurley can not magically turn someone into something beyond their abilities.

Reaction Score
I don't find anything WRONG with slapping down a Cincinnati fan for putrid NCAA results over the last 15 years. When you get the Dance, make something happen. Be clutch. I feel bad for Houston ... because they actually fought well and lost on a real prayer. I like seeing Elite Eight marches; and making the Final Four. That is when a coach advances to a higher platform. I don't think this is about Ollie (who, btw, inexplicably took a Team beyond the first few rounds and won a NC. One of the weirdest Coaching arcs in CBB). I do think we can put forward Calhoun and say: We play great in March. We need to get back to that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Good post. As I said in another thread, people are throwing around potential records that would quite literally represent one of the greatest turnarounds in NCAA history.

I'm quite confident in Hurley and staff, but I do not think he's a reincarnation of Jim Calhoun and John Wooden.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom