Nova
Pitt
Seton Hall
and even PC were good
Cliff, Phil, Besselink would all be staters
Phil & Cliff would be all League
The only guy(s) from this years team that would break into that
starting lineup would be JA and maybe Gilbert

Right on most of them, but George and Pikiell were his first freshman class. Not sure he recruited them or if they were Perno commits.

Reaction Score
After my brilliant defense of Cinn in the all time basketball tourney . I owe you this:
Not only did our former coach have more wins in the NCAA tourney than all the other teams combined winning in 2014
But we also won the AAC championship in 2016
Something about the other team high fiving as we tied the game and won in the next OT
who was that team?

Top 3 Mike F moment

Reaction Score
I always take these with a grain of salt. Most of these guys no very little about the teams. They look at numbers.....not worth debating to me. In a few months we will have an idea of how good the team can/will be.

Reaction Score
He played really well in that game. Maybe he didn’t try real hard in pickup games - yet let’s not overstate things - did he get drafted? And I believe there were more rounds then?
Your most disappointing post ever . Were you even born when he played .
He shot 40% from the three . He hit many clutch shots including one to beat top 10 Georgetown at the HCC . He would start at the three this year in a heartbeat and dominate against much weaker competition in a league that’s laughable compared to the mid 80’s Big East.
His numbers were against a group of teams that was possibly the toughest top to bottom in basketball history and
that produced 7 HOF coaches .
He averaged in double figures all four years . 15 a game as a junior.
He was not among the top 54 players drafted but for reference Cliffy a future NBA all star and 6th man award winner went 36th. But he was good enough to be invited to the Philly camp but was undersized at the four on that level . He did however have a long overseas pro career.
We’re talking about a guy on the list of the top 50 greatest Huskies of all time
who scored 1300 career points.
You owe him a sincere apology. I don’t think JC would be happy with your put down one of his most hard nose guys. Especially one so instrumental in putting UConn on a National Stage.
Without his NIT performance UConn history changes dramatically.
Would Smith come here without that Championship maybe but maybe not..
Sorry to be so hard on a fellow UConn fan but you got the old man angry.

Reaction Score
Right on most of them, but George and Pikiell were his first freshman class. Not sure he recruited them or if they were Perno commits.
That’s a good question but in retrospect a moot point.
JC was’t named head coach until a (very late )May 15, pretty late for the following year recruitment especially in those days.
His bio mentions Gwynn , Murray Williams, and Lyman Depriest ( amaziningly top 75 recruit) as his early recruits . But nothing about George or Pikell I would suspect both
were originally Perno recruits who didn’t de commit but they were there no the less
Amazingly Pikell contributed more as a freshman than his later post shoulder surgery years.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gilbert’s health is the biggest x-factor and it’s not even close. With an incompetent coach but a healthy Alterique, we looked like a tournament team to start last season.

I think that was overdone. We weren't barnstorming anybody. We beat a very young and inexperienced Oregon team early (by 8). We were close at the half to MSU, but 1) they were playing like crap of their own accord and 2) were not as good as advertised last year.

We didn't beat anybody else of note. And got stomped by Providence preseason.

I thought we were NIT bound unless we drastically improved.

Reaction Score
I think that was overdone. We weren't barnstorming anybody. We beat a very young and inexperienced Oregon team early (by 8). We were close at the half to MSU, but 1) they were playing like crap of their own accord and 2) were not as good as advertised last year.

Regardless, we looked vastly better with Alterique on the court vs. when he went down again for the year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Regardless, we looked vastly better with Alterique on the court vs. when he went down again for the year.

True, we did look much better, but the context is, without out him, we looked like absolute dog snow. Not a high bar.

Reaction Score

Please don’t underestimate Gilbert especially on the defensive end. Defense covers a lot of errors . I rewatched the MSU game about 5 times and Gilbert was in their heads.
We’re still in the game with 10 minutes to go
I think it’s even witin single digits with a few minutes left .
That’s a team that won 30 games although they were probably overrated .
Gilbert is a rare find with the potential to join the pantheon of great UConn defensive players.
But given we had so many new players last year and played our toughest schedule in years
Just a simple look forward and even being biased the NIT was optimistic.
19-21 wins last year and we were a lock. But I don’t think achievable even with Gilbert.
I looked at the up coming schedule at a point we’re we won a couple of games and
guys were jumping back on an surprisingly we would have been favored in only 4-5 of the remaining 15-16 games . That was a sobering look .
That’s why this year with 10 returning players and a weaker AAC , 21-23 games is very probable. Top 3-4 in AAC is also likely barring key injuries. Those aren’t even bold assessments.
Whether that’s enough to get in depends as much on our opponents success as ours so most experienced forecasters are not thrilled with predicting things outside of their immediate control. Multiply all our games by our opponents games and you can see it becomes random . So I won’t bother to predict the NCAA
But if Gilberts addition gets you from 20- 21 range to the 23-24 range that could be the difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Think Chief is like 50.
Since that was around 30 years ago and Chief probably was a basketball prodigy he was old enough to have an opinion. I also suspect the likelihood of him being sober was remote at that time in his life .That fact just might color his rationality.

Reaction Score
I’m not expecting miracles this season but damn I’d be disappointed if the Huskies finish 8th in the AAC. UConn has probably the best player in the conference and the conference as a whole should be down. Finishing 8th would be a kick in the nuts. Especially what we’ve been through the last 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
He wasn’t a great defender either but he was a quiet nice guy. I played against him several times even 2 on 2 - nothing stood out. In contrast, Earl could really explode when he wanted to, Jimmy O’Brien was the best passer I ever played with and Cliff had pro written all over him if he could unlearn the off court stuff Earl taugh him. Just Chief keeping it real.
Spider told me Earl was one of the best players he ever saw.

Reaction Score
Your most disappointing post ever . Were you even born when he played .
He shot 40% from the three . He hit many clutch shots including one to beat top 10 Georgetown at the HCC . He would start at the three this year in a heartbeat and dominate against much weaker competition in a league that’s laughable compared to the mid 80’s Big East.
His numbers were against a group of teams that was possibly the toughest top to bottom in basketball history and
that produced 7 HOF coaches .
He averaged in double figures all four years . 15 a game as a junior.
He was not among the top 54 players drafted but for reference Cliffy a future NBA all star and 6th man award winner went 36th. But he was good enough to be invited to the Philly camp but was undersized at the four on that level . He did however have a long overseas pro career.
We’re talking about a guy on the list of the top 50 greatest Huskies of all time
who scored 1300 career points.
You owe him a sincere apology. I don’t think JC would be happy with your put down one of his most hard nose guys. Especially one so instrumental in putting UConn on a National Stage.
Without his NIT performance UConn history changes dramatically.
Would Smith come here without that Championship maybe but maybe not..
Sorry to be so hard on a fellow UConn fan but you got the old man angry.
He did score 1300 and missed 15 games due to grades, making his accomplishment all the more commendable.

C

Chief00

Since that was around 30 years ago and Chief probably was a basketball prodigy he was old enough to have an opinion. I also suspect the likelihood of him being sober was remote at that time in his life .That fact just might color his rationality.

I don’t know what you want me to say, I played with Phil numerous times, he just never jump out at me as a special player. He obviously had some moments but also got some great looks because of attention on Cliff.

Reaction Score
Spider told me Earl was one of the best players he ever saw.
Earl was PG who could shoot. Pretty much carried UConn ala Kemba.
Comparing his ball skills to a 2-3 is pretty dishonest.
Also since Robinson and Gamble were pretty much the offense Phil also got a lot of attention. As freshman Phil averaged more PPG than Cliff
Like you said. Earl was his own worse enemy but if my recollection is correct without Earl screwing up. Perno might have lasted another year . That team started 8-0 but we were blown out in our own Cupcake Classic* by JC ‘s , Northeastern team. That was eye opening.
Then that team went into a death spiral when Earl was suspended which sealed Perno’s fate.
Guys with guns never are good for the schools image.
Rumors that it was really Chief’s gun are not true.
Chief getting Earl suspended so Dom would get fired and we would bring in JC is just a legend.
* the not so affectionate name us synical fans gave our annual Christmas Tournament.
Perno was amazing People think we just weren’t competitive ,although partly true
we really were not blown out that much and lead in many games against quality teams.of course which we usually lost.
Us serious fans always wondered in what creative way would we manage to blow the game.
Once We had a one point lead and the ball out of bounds against Georgetown .
with seconds left to play .
We managed to not only turn it over on our inbounds play but could not stop them from getting an easy basket for the win.
Yet I don’t remember ever a crowd of under 10-12 m at the HCC

Reaction Score

If he was a prodigy, could Chief actually be Tate George or Steve Pikiell?

Reaction Score
Also since Robinson and Gamble were pretty much the offense Phil also got a lot of attention. As freshman Phil averaged more PPG than Cliff
Like you said. Earl was his own worse enemy but if my recollection is correct without Earl screwing up. Perno might have lasted another year . That team started 8-0 but we were blown out in our own Cupcake Classic* by JC ‘s , Northeastern team. That was eye opening.
Then that team went into a death spiral when Earl was suspended which sealed Perno’s fate.
Chief getting Earl suspended so Dom would get fired and we would bring in JC is just a legend.
* the not so affectionate name us synical fans gave our annual Christmas Tournament.
Perno was amazing People think we just weren’t competitive ,although partly true
we really were not blown out that much and lead in many games against quality teams.of course which we usually lost.
Us serious fans always wondered in what creative way would we manage to blow the game.
We managed to not only turn it over on our inbounds play but could not stop them from getting an easy basket for the win.

I think the play you're talking about where we lost the game on the inbounds pass was Syracuse in Hartford when Jeff King passed the ball to where one of our guards HAD BEEN but the space was now occupied by Stevie Francis (I believe) who went in for the game winning layup or dunk (too far in the past). As he was passing the ball in I was telling my wife it's so great to have this win in the bag...............

As for Earl, he sure could take over a game and he sure knew when it was money time. It always seemed he'd go 2 for 4 on free throws in the first half and 6 for 6 in the last 10 minutes.
Often looked as if he was sleepwalking early in games, to the point where he yawned one time as he was about to shoot a free throw.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Calhoun inherited Cliff Robinson
Phil Gamble
Tate George
Steve Pikell
Gary Besselink
Jeff King
The problem was the Big East was load with better talent
Those were awesome years .
Georgetown
Cuse
Nova
Pitt
Seton Hall
and even PC were good
Cliff, Phil, Besselink would all be staters
Phil & Cliff would be all League
The only guy(s) from this years team that would break into that
starting lineup would be JA and maybe Gilbert

Phil Gamble & Cliff Robinson flunked out after the first semester, and how can you forget about the fact that walk on Greg Economics :) became a starter?

This year's talent is rated significantly higher

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Don't let UConn being predicted to finish 8th in the AAC distract you from the fact that Cincinnati blew a 22 point lead with 11 minutes to go in an NCAA tournament game

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A program coming off 2 sub-.500 seasons, a new coach, and no player standing over 6'-9" in real life is picked to finish 8th in their conference. Let's talk about a team from 1986.

C

Chief00

What? Man, that sounds like some of those South County, URI conspiracy rumors how Calhoun was an undercover agent to hire Hurley. I was a casual friend with Earl, I would never set him up like that. Earl would be the first one to acknowledge today, he did a pretty good job of setting up bad situations by himself in those days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, KO was neither by the end.

Weak post. Go at his in ability to deliver as a coach but also question who he is as a man without actually knowing him is unacceptable. By all accounts from some who know him to this day he's the great man he always was just had some bumps in the road. Not sure any of us can understand the shoes he was in post-JC etc etc.. Better we leave it alone if we're smart.

Reaction Score
What? Man, that sounds like some of those South County, URI conspiracy rumors how Calhoun was an undercover agent to hire Hurley. I was a casual friend with Earl, I would never set him up like that. Earl would be the first one to acknowledge today, he did a pretty good job of setting up bad situations by himself in those days.

I'm going to be in that South Coutny area this weekend I will look for the 6'5" dude in the Inspector Clouseau trench coat so we can talk some basketball and maybe golf? LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom