Andy Katz AAC 2018-19 Preview | The Boneyard

Andy Katz AAC 2018-19 Preview

Reaction Score
Wow, talk about a slap in the face. As good as our backcourt’s potential can be what does that say about the frontcourt?

Reaction Score
I understand where he is coming from based on a bird’s eye view. However, if you watched our team closely you know that we have a number of players with potential and skill. The question is, can he mold them and grow them to their potential.

One benefit the previous staff left is they brought in multi-use players. They aren’t super talented but they can shoot, dribble and pass. Hurley needs to see if there is more there. At least our lesser talent isn’t “awful”. These are legit high D1 players that need to be developed.

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I’d be stunned if we finish lower than 6th. Honestly would bet that we’d finish higher than 6th

Reaction Score
This is all on Danny Hurley.

If you walked in to the gym in 1987 with the UConn Roster Jim Calhoun inherited, you could not imagine much over the next 3 years. Danny has it better - IMHO. He starts with some really good raw playing talent with a lack of cohesion; mere cultural cohesiveness starts you at a better place. We will games simply because of that. You must ask certain players to be much better. Jalen of course. But Carlton plus another Big has to provide that inside presence that we lacked and led to simple easy buckets repeatedly over these last two seasons.

I think the Conference is down. Hurley walks in at a great moment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
8th is pretty ridiculous really. Especially when we have the best player in the league, and a healthy Gilbert would be a top ten player in this league.

If you go back to HS ratings, we probably would rate tops in the conference on talent by that measure. I know it means nothing, but I truly believe that these guys can play a LOT better than they have so far. I think we make the tournament and finish at least top 4 in the league.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
We were 8th last year, so how can we be that again? This list is BS, there’s no way we finish behind Temple, Tulsa, SMU. This year I feel we are a lock at a top 5 finish. We have the best player, and best coach in the conference maybe second to Marshall.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
We were 8th last year, so how can we be that again? This list is BS, there’s no way we finish behind Temple, Tulsa, SMU. This year I feel we are a lock at a top 5 finish. We have the best player, and best coach in the conference maybe second to Marshall.
TIL playing a lot of minutes and compiling a ton of meaningless counting stats makes you the best player in the conference. #Trolling

Reaction Score
Unbunch your panties, people.
We have sucked badly for several years. Really badly.
We have all of the same players as last year, plus a couple of last minute add ons.

Sure, we hired a new coach. Sure, "the culture is different."

But I have zero problem with anybody saying that we're an 8th place team until and unless we put something on the court for which bleach, mops, and large squeegees are not needed to remove.

We need to earn it.

Reaction Score

Marshall is far and away the best coach in the conference bar none. Quite possibly he's a top 5 coach in the country

Reaction Score
All about health. He has UCF as the team to beat. They have 3 guys coming off major injuries, including a guy in BJ Taylor who has been constantly hurt in his career.

This league is WIDE OPEN. So many questions across the board. For us, Gilbert is the ultimate wild card.

Reaction Score
This is all on Danny Hurley.

If you walked in to the gym in 1987 with the UConn Roster Jim Calhoun inherited, you could not imagine much over the next 3 years. Danny has it better - IMHO. He starts with some really good raw playing talent with a lack of cohesion; mere cultural cohesiveness starts you at a better place. We will games simply because of that. You must ask certain players to be much better. Jalen of course. But Carlton plus another Big has to provide that inside presence that we lacked and led to simple easy buckets repeatedly over these last two seasons.

I think the Conference is down. Hurley walks in at a great moment.
Calhoun inherited Cliff Robinson
Phil Gamble
Tate George
Steve Pikell
Gary Besselink
Jeff King
The problem was the Big East was load with better talent
Those were awesome years .
Georgetown
Cuse
Nova
Pitt
Seton Hall
and even PC were good
Cliff, Phil, Besselink would all be staters
Phil & Cliff would be all League
The only guy(s) from this years team that would break into that
starting lineup would be JA and maybe Gilbert

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This conference don't look all that bad. It's quite amazing how fast USF and UCF made names for themselves in college athletics. USF feared UCF joining the AAC; guess that's been justified.

Reaction Score
Okay, I have to mention this...

Every team in the conference is listed in ALL CAPS except for "UConn"....thank you Andy Katz!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I have no problem with pundits ranking us that low. Hurley's got to deal with us rabid fans enough, glad the horde isn't placing high expectations on his early.

He's got a lot to adjust to (culture, players, staff, JC , admin and school) combined with coaching a 'new' squad of course. Katz is probably wrong in our low ranking, but its going to be fun seeing it proven. This year is a year of enjoyment, and by that I mean Jalen Adams. If he can make an AA team then his 4 years meant something. I can wait for next year, is all I'm saying as long as we are better than last year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wow, talk about a slap in the face. As good as our backcourt’s potential can be what does that say about the frontcourt?
Care to expand? No one up front is taller on paper than 6'-9", which means they are really 6'-7". If UConn continues to struggle with shot selection, it's going to be another long year.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This conference don't look all that bad. It's quite amazing how fast USF and UCF made names for themselves in college athletics. USF feared UCF joining the AAC; guess that's been justified.

I mean they did just win a natty in football...

Reaction Score
To be charitable our front court is untested. Our backcourt is 70% potential and only 30% proven. I am getting more and more psyched about Hurley’s abilities but it might take a year before it all falls into place.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Care to expand? No one up front is taller on paper than 6'-9", which means they are really 6'-7". If UConn continues to struggle with shot selection, it's going to be another long year.
Carlton is now listed at 6'10 and looks to be a legit 6'10 in shoes but I agree, we always had that 6'11/7'0 center who at least posed a shot blocking threat down low. Most good high major teams have that presence. I also think that our kids are a little more honest about their height than other schools. Polley looked to be noticeably taller than opposing players who were listed at the same height he could easily list himself at 6'9 and no one would bat an eye.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
TIL playing a lot of minutes and compiling a ton of meaningless counting stats makes you the best player in the conference. #Trolling

TIL that a team losing its 1st, 2nd and 4th leading scorers and returning one truly good player, who is merely a Sophomore, and adding no impact freshmen or transfers, is supposed to challenge for a league title.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Unbunch your panties, people.
We have sucked badly for several years. Really badly.
We have all of the same players as last year, plus a couple of last minute add ons.

Sure, we hired a new coach. Sure, "the culture is different."

But I have zero problem with anybody saying that we're an 8th place team until and unless we put something on the court for which bleach, mops, and large squeegees are not needed to remove.

We need to earn it.
With Diarra, 7th?

Besides, I think it's a good setup for the predictable, "Picked preseason 8th, the Huskies are this year's conference surprise..." story line for every game shown on ESPN as the season progresses. Hoping it plays out that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom