Andrew Luck Retires | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Andrew Luck Retires

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It is possible for two or more things to be true at the same time.
1. The timing was poor and it is a negative if you are a Colts fan or a member of the Colts. And it is even ok to be bummed out as a fan of football in general, a star retired abruptly leaving the possibility of more entertaining greatness on the table.
2. Football is a highly risky sport that can take a decimating toll on the body

I think you can be disappointed and argue #1 while still recognizing #2 and avoid beating your chest on the soapbox. Personnel parallels are beyond ridiculous.

Sure. Disappointment is fine. But to be so riled up as a fan to the point of anger as many Colts fans, and others, are is silly. God bless you if your life is so wonderful that a man deciding not to throw an inflatable prolate spheroid to similarly dressed other men any longer is the most ire-inducing thing going on in your life.

Reaction Score
Gotta agree with Gottlieb

This whole younger generation is so damn soft. “My ankle hurts, the mental stress is too much” please... Ronnie Lott got his finger tore off mid game, taped up the nub and went back out on the field. Plus you can’t even breathe on QB today without a flag.... We are witnessing the steady progression of the emasculated male. Either that or we’re give these players too much money. My mind is blown. He def deserved some of those boos.

Rant over

Really impressive to fit this many awful and degenerate takes into a single paragraph. Nice job.

Reaction Score
Zinger!!!! Good one Stain

Sometimes the truth is unpopular, the man quit in his brothers, plain and simple. If he was coming back from multiple concussions or something similar, sure... I could see that. But a sore calf..... ya let’s give this guy a trophy for Hero of the Year!

"The man quit on his brother." Lol. What planet are you from, Earth 1965?

Funny, when I change companies and/or people I know retire no one makes it into some macho dude-love euphemism.

I can see it now: "Hey guys, I decided to do something else with my life." Them: " BROOOO you are quitting on your brothers!!!

You are a clown.

Reaction Score
Just like every player in the NFL and other sports, Luck made the decision based on what he thought was best for him and his family. In the end, football is just entertainment.

How would have people thought if he led his teammates to believe that he was working hard to try to get back on the field when in reality he didn't have the desire to play anymore. People can get burned out, people can get tired and people can quit their jobs for various reasons and shouldn't have to explain themselves.

It's simple - he didn't want to rehab and play anymore. I don't think that needs further explanation and justification. Good for him.

Reaction Score
Preferably, to the people.... it shouldn’t cost half a months rent or mortgage to go see a game with your kid. It’s ridiculous. You can’t do anything about the tv money but going to see a game should be afforded to everyone no matter their socio economic status.

I also agree that cars should cost less and the workers making the cars should be paid less and so therefore my car will cost less. That is how free market economics works right?

Reaction Score
Sports in general require players (especially) and fans alike to buy into the importance & commit everything. Being part of a team by definition means sacrificing the individual for the collective. Football because of its violence is the team sport where this attitude is most essential for success. Therefore it is always going to be hard to stop & met with outrage necessary to prevent the charade from ending.

It is a dramatic juxtaposition when someone proves that individual well-being is in fact more important than the sport. So if sport is THAT important to you there is almost no choice but to make it hard for someone to quit (such as the outlandish importance attached just to the word 'quit') or to just pound your chest and yell "NA NA NA LA LA LA" until the noise of reality dies down.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised that 3/4 of the people that boo'd Luck at Lucas Oil Stadium had Andrew Luck on their recently drafted fantasy football teams.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
The sad irony is I prob would have knocked you on your butt and ran circles around you..don’t believe me? Ask my friend Johnny Hekker, he was my quarterback and now a pro bowl punter for the Rams. He threw me TD passes and watched me play defense. Or you can ask one of my buddies who tried out for the Seahawks and played under Chris Peterson for UW.

But now you are just insulting me and being a troll bc you really have no legitimate response since you know the truth..

But sure.. if i could go back and save my body and play tennis, I prob would.

And I recommend that others do the same, and not listen to “tough guys” like you.

The worse part is kids listen to bullies like you but I will vow to be the voice in their ear telling them they don’t have to do it.
They don’t have to be intimidated into playing a sport that harms them just to live up to some “tough guy” made up standards that come from adults like you.
Wow, Johnny Hekker... nice!
Listen, if you want to name drop we could play that game. Playing in the MWC as well as having opponents the likes of OU, ND, Mich and Cal I’ve played with and against a lot bigger names than Hekker. But ya guy, you would have destroyed me lol. Oh ya, and ran circles too... those high school glory days of yours are something to feared.

Listen, I’m sorry you got hurt and you’re still dealing with the ramifications. It sucks, I know, but you knew what you signed up for so don’t bit*h about it and now throw shame on the #1 sport in this country. It has done way more good than bad. It’s a gladiator sport, you get hurt, it happens. No one sold you a lie and told you it was two hand touch. Plus there’s many other sports that just as physical (rugby, mma, boxing, hockey, etc) I assume once you become a chiro, you’ll tell your patients just how evil they are too. Better yet, let’s just wrap everyone up in bubble wrap and call it a day. Injuries happen, it’s a part of life, the key is to find something you love to do and participate. I happen to love football, that’s me. But by all means continue your crusade against it.

Reaction Score
The fact that people are mad at fans for "booing" is an absolute joke. Nobody is booing him as a person. He has every right to retire and make the decision that's best for him. The way it went was terrible and everyone here in Indy that I was around wasn't happy. Who actually could be happy about this situation? The Colts finally built an entire team around him, they were Super Bowl contenders with him healthy, and during a preseason game it is announced via Twitter he is retiring. That is pretty lame. But hey, at least he did the right thing and gave them his two week notice. Maybe retire at the end of last year or just sit this year out on the sidelines and then retire. I don't know, the timing is just very poor but time to move on.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but I’m finding it harder and harder (beyond baseline) to believe you spent any time with MD following your surname

Expound on that
I’m sorry you feel that way. But if you must know. Went to med school in Atlanta, completed a residency in Internal Medicine. Practiced for a couple years before transitioning over to the Pharma industry. I would show you my Curriculum Vitae, but wouldn’t dare expose myself to the “angry mob”.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect Luck, think he’s a upstanding individual. I just feel like it was a weak move 10 days before the start of the season to just up and quit. And unfortunately this is what he’ll be remembered for, which is sad.

Reaction Score
Wow, Johnny Hekker... nice!
Listen, if you want to name drop we could play that game. Playing in the MWC as well as having opponents the likes of OU, ND, Mich and Cal I’ve played with and against a lot bigger names than Hekker. But ya guy, you would have destroyed me lol. Oh ya, and ran circles too... those high school glory days of yours are something to feared.

Listen, I’m sorry you got hurt and you’re still dealing with the ramifications. It sucks, I know, but you knew what you signed up for so don’t bit*h about it and now throw shame on the #1 sport in this country. It has done way more good than bad. It’s a gladiator sport, you get hurt, it happens. No one sold you a lie and told you it was two hand touch. Plus there’s many other sports that just as physical (rugby, mma, boxing, hockey, etc) I assume once you become a chiro, you’ll tell your patients just how evil they are too. Better yet, let’s just wrap everyone up in bubble wrap and call it a day. Injuries happen, it’s a part of life, the key is to find something you love to do and participate. I happen to love football, that’s me. But by all means continue your crusade against it.

Forget the name dropping. Forget The Who would’ve destroyed who talk. It’s senseless. I stopped down to that bc you called other ppl on this board “soft” and “nerds” and my point in doing that was to show you there are plenty of good athletes on this board who have an opposing stance on football than you and it’s not bc we are “soft” or weak or what have you. It’s because we have simply have a different stance. I guess that went over your head.

And I don’t want to destroy football. I want it to change and want parents to become more educated on the damage they are doing to their kids. You are right I did have a choice. But at the same time I was a kid. And I had numerous grown adult men pressuring me and asking me to play. One year I almost quit and I dealt with a lot of heat from my father and ppl in my community to play. I should have been stronger but i was only a kid. I caused a lot of damage to my body that if I had just listened to my intuition instead of peer pressure from adults, prob could have been avoided. I even had some ppl call me a pu**y bc I wanted to quit. Funny bc I was such a pu**y that they wanted me on their team...answer me this, do you really see nothing wrong with a culture that pressures kids and calls them names if they don’t want to play or if they don’t want to harm their bodies?

Do you think it’s really okay for grown adults to yell at kids and watch them slam into each other without putting any thought or very little thought at most into the harm they are doing to the bodies of the youth whom they should be GUIDING??

We have a responsibility as adults to guide our youth. Not lead them into a destructive path. I apologize for infringing on your favorite sport man, but your turning a blind eye to the truth and you are a part of the problem not the solution.

Reaction Score
The fact that people are mad at fans for "booing" is an absolute joke. Nobody is booing him as a person. He has every right to retire and make the decision that's best for him. The way it went was terrible and everyone here in Indy that I was around wasn't happy. Who actually could be happy about this situation? The Colts finally built an entire team around him, they were Super Bowl contenders with him healthy, and during a preseason game it is announced via Twitter he is retiring. That is pretty lame. But hey, at least he did the right thing and gave them his two week notice. Maybe retire at the end of last year or just sit this year out on the sidelines and then retire. I don't know, the timing is just very poor but time to move on.
I’m baffled as to how this viewpoint isn’t understood

Reaction Score
I’m sorry you feel that way. But if you must know. Went to med school in Atlanta, completed a residency in Internal Medicine. Practiced for a couple years before transitioning over to the Pharma industry. I would show you my Curriculum Vitae, but wouldn’t dare expose myself to the “angry mob”.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect Luck, think he’s a upstanding individual. I just feel like it was a weak move 10 days before the start of the season to just up and quit. And unfortunately this is what he’ll be remembered for, which is sad.

The fact that you are a doctor and have shown literally no concern for the damage that football is doing to the brain and to the spines of our youth is what is extremely scary to me. Makes sense you were in the pharma industry you prob tell them to pop pain pills and rub some dirt on it. Real shame what healthcare has come too, this is why more and more people are coming to see chiropractors. At least I actually care about these kids. Andrew Luck or otherwise, you have all this medical knowledge and you know the damage it does, yet you don’t seem to care at all...makes zero sense to me. Very sad.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Forget the name dropping. Forget The Who would’ve destroyed who talk. It’s senseless. I stopped down to that bc you called other ppl on this board “soft” and “nerds” and my point in doing that was to show you there are plenty of good athletes on this board who have an opposing stance on football than you and it’s not bc we are “soft” or weak or what have you. It’s because we have simply have a different stance. I guess that went over your head.

And I don’t want to destroy football. I want it to change and want parents to become more educated on the damage they are doing to their kids. You are right I did have a choice. But at the same time I was a kid. And I had numerous grown adult men pressuring me and asking me to play. One year I almost quit and I dealt with a lot of heat from my father and ppl in my community to play. I should have been stronger but i was only a kid. I caused a lot of damage to my body that if I had just listened to my intuition instead of peer pressure from adults, prob could have been avoided. I even had some ppl call me a pu**y bc I wanted to quit. Funny bc I was such a pu**y that they wanted me on their team...answer me this, do you really see nothing wrong with a culture that pressures kids and calls them names if they don’t want to play or if they don’t want to harm their bodies?

Do you think it’s really okay for grown adults to yell at kids and watch them slam into each other without putting any thought or very little thought at most into the harm they are doing to the bodies of the youth whom they should be GUIDING??

We have a responsibility as adults to guide our youth. Not lead them into a destructive path. I apologize for infringing on your favorite sport man, but your turning a blind eye to the truth and you are a part of the problem not the solution.
Just because you obviously were brought up in a toxic culture, where your own father pressured you as well as either called you deragatory names or allowed others to do so, doesn’t mean all of football is like that. I feel like you are dealing with some deep seeded issues that go far beyond the sport.

The current form of football has never been safer, and this version of what you went through hardly exists in modern day. But you’ve obviously got an axe to grind.... I just think you’re directing your angst in the wrong direction buddy.

As far as “destructive path” goes. I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth. It was football that provided a way for me to go to college with a 4 yr scholarship. It was football that showed me accountability and work ethic. I would have never accomplished half the things in my life if I wasnt provided the countless opportunities this sport has given me.

So maybe try not to go through life seeing things only from your perspective. Take a step back, remove the blinders, and see the bigger picture.

God bless.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Maybe it's going to take the retirement of a high level player at the most high level position before the NFL and the medical community pulls out all stops to make the sport safer. I see that as the better outcome rather than this slow and continual drift away from Pop Warner, particularly in the burbs.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Maybe it's going to take the retirement of a high level player at the most high level position before the NFL and the medical community pulls out all stops to make the sport safer. I see that as the better outcome rather than this slow and continual drift away from Pop Warner, particularly in the burbs.
My point, end of Pop Warner, end of tackle football.

Reaction Score
Just because you obviously were brought up in a toxic culture, where your own father pressured you as well as either called you deragatory names or allowed others to do so, doesn’t mean all of football is like that. I feel like you are dealing with some deep seeded issues that go far beyond the sport.

The current form of football has never been safer, and this version of what you went through hardly exists in modern day. But you’ve obviously got an axe to grind.... I just think you’re directing your angst in the wrong direction buddy.

As far as “destructive path” goes. I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth. It was football that provided a way for me to go to college with a 4 yr scholarship. It was football that showed me accountability and work ethic. I would have never accomplished half the things in my life if I wasnt provided the countless opportunities this sport has given me.

So maybe try not to go through life seeing things only from your perspective. Take a step back, remove the blinders, and see the bigger picture.

God bless.
Yep, football is super safe now. Tell that to all the brain dead players, I'm sure they would agree with you.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to get a Boneyard poll of parents/potential parents. Would you let your kids play football?

Personally, I absolutely will not. Basketball, soccer, baseball/softball, track, lacrosse, gymnastics, whatever. I'll support my kids in just about any sport but football and maybe hockey. That's a heck no in my book. SO agrees.

I know of one former NFL player who made millions who will never let his children touch a gridiron.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to get a Boneyard poll of parents/potential parents. Would you let your kids play football?

Personally, I absolutely will not. Basketball, soccer, baseball/softball, track, lacrosse, gymnastics, whatever. I'll support my kids in just about any sport but football and maybe hockey. That's a heck no in my book. SO agrees.

I know of one former NFL player who made millions who will never let his children touch a gridiron.
Zero chance my kid ever sets foot on a football field. Unless the soccer team shares the field

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Gotta agree with Gottlieb

This whole younger generation is so damn soft. “My ankle hurts, the mental stress is too much” please... Ronnie Lott got his finger tore off mid game, taped up the nub and went back out on the field. Plus you can’t even breathe on QB today without a flag.... We are witnessing the steady progression of the emasculated male. Either that or we’re give these players too much money. My mind is blown. He def deserved some of those boos.

Rant over
Gottlieb, the only guy not to know the jokes on him in every period in his life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom