Andrew Luck Retires | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Andrew Luck Retires

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Would be interesting to get a Boneyard poll of parents/potential parents. Would you let your kids play football?

Personally, I absolutely will not. Basketball, soccer, baseball/softball, track, lacrosse, gymnastics, whatever. I'll support my kids in just about any sport but football and maybe hockey. That's a heck no in my book. SO agrees.

I know of one former NFL player who made millions who will never let his children touch a gridiron.
Husky429, my only disagreement with your list is lax. Really tough sport, tough physically, seems as though the likelihood of CTE and other life altering injuries is not quite as likely as football, but seems lacrosse and rugby would fall right under football.

Reaction Score
Yep, football is super safe now. Tell that to all the brain dead players, I'm sure they would agree with you.

All the medical, scientific and real life factual evidence in the world won’t convince a person who simply does not care to listen. And that’s the problem. We aren’t just debating normal sport fans, we are debating against religious fanatics.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
You can see a real deliniation between generations in the reaction to this news.

I’m still an NFL fan and will remain one - at this point the players know the risks and choose to take them.

A lot of people about 35 and younger seem to just be turned off by the violence and have slowly disengaged with the league.

I doubt this is going to become a deluge of guys walking away from big money but really what good is 50 million in the bank if you can’t remember your ATM code.

McClain on twitter the other day was scary. He’s only 34.

Hard to read.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Forget the name dropping. Forget The Who would’ve destroyed who talk. It’s senseless. I stopped down to that bc you called other ppl on this board “soft” and “nerds” and my point in doing that was to show you there are plenty of good athletes on this board who have an opposing stance on football than you and it’s not bc we are “soft” or weak or what have you. It’s because we have simply have a different stance. I guess that went over your head.

And I don’t want to destroy football. I want it to change and want parents to become more educated on the damage they are doing to their kids. You are right I did have a choice. But at the same time I was a kid. And I had numerous grown adult men pressuring me and asking me to play. One year I almost quit and I dealt with a lot of heat from my father and ppl in my community to play. I should have been stronger but i was only a kid. I caused a lot of damage to my body that if I had just listened to my intuition instead of peer pressure from adults, prob could have been avoided. I even had some ppl call me a pu**y bc I wanted to quit. Funny bc I was such a pu**y that they wanted me on their team...answer me this, do you really see nothing wrong with a culture that pressures kids and calls them names if they don’t want to play or if they don’t want to harm their bodies?

Do you think it’s really okay for grown adults to yell at kids and watch them slam into each other without putting any thought or very little thought at most into the harm they are doing to the bodies of the youth whom they should be GUIDING??

We have a responsibility as adults to guide our youth. Not lead them into a destructive path. I apologize for infringing on your favorite sport man, but your turning a blind eye to the truth and you are a part of the problem not the solution.

I’m rooting for you to destroy football.

1) the nfl is an evil corrupt, lying criminal cartel. Not a legitimate sport.

2) no football only helps UConn based on its present state...

Reaction Score
Maybe it's going to take the retirement of a high level player at the most high level position before the NFL and the medical community pulls out all stops to make the sport safer. I see that as the better outcome rather than this slow and continual drift away from Pop Warner, particularly in the burbs.

Nope. Money talks and the NFL still makes way too much money to do anything drastic. This story will pass in a couple weeks and in 20 years he'll be an afterthought.

Reaction Score
Some of the anti-football posters here will be following and are fans of the Giants, Patriots and Jets, just sayin.

Reaction Score
You can see a real deliniation between generations in the reaction to this news.

I’m still an NFL fan and will remain one - at this point the players know the risks and choose to take them.

A lot of people about 35 and younger seem to just be turned off by the violence and have slowly disengaged with the league.

I doubt this is going to become a deluge of guys walking away from big money but really what good is 50 million in the bank if you can’t remember your ATM code.

McClain on twitter the other day was scary. He’s only 34.

Aaron Hernandez had the brain of an 85 year old dementia patient at 26 years old, Kellen Winslow Jr. was raping 85 year old women.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Gladiator sport..."

giphy.gif

Why yes, I am entertained by this thread!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting list from this article
Youth athletes (18 years and under)

Concussions in youth sports are particularly concerning as recent evidence suggests that the earlier in life a concussion is experienced, the higher likelihood of having prolonged complications. This is potentially due to injuring a brain that is still developing.

Similar to adult sports, the youth sport with the highest rate of concussion is rugby at 4.18 concussions per 1,000 AE.[2] Unlike the above study, the youth study did not separate injury rate by male or female, or by games or practice.

Ice hockey had the second highest concussion rate with 1.20 concussions per 1, 000 AE. American football came in third (0.53 concussions/1000 AE).[2] See the full list below:

1. Rugby (4.18/1,000 AE)
  2. Ice hockey (1.20/1,000 AE)
  3. American football (0.53/1,000 AE)
  4. Lacrosse (0.24/1,000 AE)
  5. Football (or soccer) (0.23/1,000 AE)
  6. Wrestling (0.17/1,000 AE)
  7. Basketball (0.13/1,000 AE)
  8. Softball & Field Hockey (Tie) (0.10/1,000 AE)
  9. Baseball (0.06/1,000 AE)
  10. Cheerleading (0.07/1,000 AE)
  11. Volleyball (0.03/1,000 AE)

Reaction Score
Nope. Money talks and the NFL still makes way too much money to do anything drastic. This story will pass in a couple weeks and in 20 years he'll be an afterthought.

And all that money and an aggrieved set of people attract lawyers. The first tremors are already starting.

For the NFL and all of football, a new threat: an evaporating insurance market

If the feeder programs can't afford insurance, what does that do to the sport's viability ? Boxing was once one of the most popular sports in the country, so who knows ?

Reaction Score
They keep talking about changing improving the helmets. But then I read that a majority of the football concussions occur when the head contacts the ground. Why not try to soften the playing surface? This also explains why the hockey concussion rate is so high. They play on an even harder surface.

Reaction Score
Interesting list from this article
Youth athletes (18 years and under)

Concussions in youth sports are particularly concerning as recent evidence suggests that the earlier in life a concussion is experienced, the higher likelihood of having prolonged complications. This is potentially due to injuring a brain that is still developing.

Similar to adult sports, the youth sport with the highest rate of concussion is rugby at 4.18 concussions per 1,000 AE.[2] Unlike the above study, the youth study did not separate injury rate by male or female, or by games or practice.

Ice hockey had the second highest concussion rate with 1.20 concussions per 1, 000 AE. American football came in third (0.53 concussions/1000 AE).[2] See the full list below:

1. Rugby (4.18/1,000 AE)
  2. Ice hockey (1.20/1,000 AE)
  3. American football (0.53/1,000 AE)
  4. Lacrosse (0.24/1,000 AE)
  5. Football (or soccer) (0.23/1,000 AE)
  6. Wrestling (0.17/1,000 AE)
  7. Basketball (0.13/1,000 AE)
  8. Softball & Field Hockey (Tie) (0.10/1,000 AE)
  9. Baseball (0.06/1,000 AE)
  10. Cheerleading (0.07/1,000 AE)
  11. Volleyball (0.03/1,000 AE)

As someone who played the top four at various times in my youth, this list does not in any way surprise me with the exception of expecting football to be a bit higher of a rate that it is.

Reaction Score
And all that money and an aggrieved set of people attract lawyers. The first tremors are already starting.

For the NFL and all of football, a new threat: an evaporating insurance market

If the feeder programs can't afford insurance, what does that do to the sport's viability ? Boxing was once one of the most popular sports in the country, so who knows ?

Boxing never generated 1/1000th the money the NFL generates.

Look at it this way. People still have a hard time pinning smoking related deaths on Big Tobacco. The NFL/Concussion issue is at that level of financial impact and legal protection.

Reaction Score
I'm very surprised at lacrosse - they've legislated almost all the hitting out of the game. I'm on a college sideline and any hard hit is an immediate minute penalty, if not more - these are good clean hits, there's obviously been an emphasis to reduce the hitting and emphasize the finesse and skill play.

Too bad really, contact was a vital part of the game, it used to be like hockey on grass, now it's like soccer with sticks.

Reaction Score
I'm very surprised at lacrosse - they've legislated almost all the hitting out of the game. I'm on a college sideline and any hard hit is an immediate minute penalty, if not more - these are good clean hits, there's obviously been an emphasis to reduce the hitting and emphasize the finesse and skill play.

Too bad really, contact was a vital part of the game, it used to be like hockey on grass, now it's like soccer with sticks.
I don't really follow lacrosse anymore but what I've seen of it in the last few years there is hardly any hitting. I played the sport for many years and even back then you would get your bell rung every once in a while but it was nothing like football.

Reaction Score
More players will get paralyzed. More players will develop serious brain trauma. And more players will continue to die or commit suicide. Sad that we continue to watch this all happen and then we have people like Sammy here say “welp, that’s football, it’s a gladiator sport, should have toughened up or known better” really freaking disgusting human behavior. And the worse part is they seem to be the majority.

Reaction Score

I would imagine that a lot of lacrosse concussions come from unintentional hits to the head with the sticks. Especially at the youth level where they have less stick control.

Reaction Score

Gronk speaks up. Interesting thoughts on one of the tougher guys in the league whose been through a lot of injuries.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't find the decision to be courageous, but the season ticket holders demanding a refund because of Luck's retirement are fascinating.

What if Luck didn't retire but also didn't play a single game all season and retired in February? Same result.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom