Andre Jackson to UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m a bit older going back to Toby and Wes in the Fieldhouse with dirt floor! I remember that first Gampel game being offered $100 for my ticket by a St Johns fan. Haha, no way was I going to miss that game-we won!
We were ranked 20th, St John's ranked 15th. We won 72-58. Then we had a huge bonfire in the jungle until the riot police arrived.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Husky Hawk-I’m a bit older going back to Toby and Wes in the Fieldhouse with dirt floor! I remember that first Gampel game being offered $100 for my ticket by a St Johns fan. Haha, no way was I going to miss that game-we won!

You've got a few more fan points than me, Len. But we've got something in common.

I was a Sophomore for the 1st game and also didn't sell my ticket to a St John's fan. That night's a fog but pretty sure I turned down $75.

Did the FH really have a dirt floor? It was old when I was there, when did it finally get wood floors?

Reaction Score
You've got a few more fan points than me, Len. But we've got something in common.

I was a Sophomore for the 1st game and also didn't sell my ticket to a St John's fan. That night's a fog but pretty sure I turned down $75.

Did the FH really have a dirt floor? It was old when I was there, when did it finally get wood floors?
I was a senior and attended the first game also. Electric atmosphere and a great senior year.

Reaction Score
Did you end up being an electrical Engineer or atmospheric?
Electrical. Then I did grad school in a different engineering discipline, but not atmospheric. UConn gave me a great foundation. Lots of great memories.

Reaction Score

Yes the wooden basketball floor was put on top of the dirt fieldhouse floor. During the games when the crowd got into it you could see a dust cloud rising! Others here I’m sure remember.

Reaction Score
Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Finally starting to get back to the level of recruiting that we should be at!

and weget to stick it to the dumb orange while we're at it!

Reaction Score
Yes the wooden basketball floor was put on top of the dirt fieldhouse floor. During the games when the crowd got into it you could see a dust cloud rising! Others here I’m sure remember.
The raised wooden court on that oil soaked dirt floor was magical, especially with the house lights turned off. The follow-up lime green tartan court that extended throughout the entire field house was very uninspiring.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of lonzo ball with much more leaping ability. The way he grabs a rebound and runs the break, head up looking for a pass and projects as a bigtime plus defender. It's also his laid back demeanor. AJ plays with an electrifying style in the full game replays I've watched. We're getting a special talent imo.
Lonzo Ball is a PG and one of the best passers to come through the HS ranks in a long time...

Reaction Score
As others before me have alluded to, I think this is tremendous young man - in so many facets. What a terrific recruit.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Oh yeah
I remember back to 1963 when going with my father
There would be a basketball game going on and on the other side there would be track members pole vaulting and high jumping and on the other side you heard the popping of baseballs hitting leather as the baseball team was practicing
It was a blast for a little kid but strange when looking back

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure, but I think that was dust shaking down from the rafters. It was like they had a smoke machine going in there.

The Field House was incredibly loud and they packed people in there. After everyone had squeezed on to the bench seating in the stands they would fill the aisles up as well squeezing everyone they could into the stands. Another row would form sitting on just off the court on the floor in front of the stands. Then everyone else squeezed in standing in the corners or where ever else they could get a spot.

Packed (literally) with loud enthusiastic fans who were right on top of the action it was a tough place for opponents to play and great place to watch a game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember the wooden bleachers flexing up and down ready to break! Everyone on their feet and having a great time!

Reaction Score
My first season tickets had me sitting on the top row at the far end of the court. The seat next to me (the numbers were painted on the bleachers) was caked with dust apparently because they no longer sold that seat. To sit there you'd have to lean your head on one of those curved I-beams.

Moving to Gampel was night and day. The St. John's opener was magical. I remember Louie being quoted as saying he didn't want the Redmen to be the team to open the new arena.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Lonzo Ball is a PG and one of the best passers to come through the HS ranks in a long time...

I understand what position Lonzo Ball plays. Imo there are some subtle similarities in their games.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
This may not be the right place to post this, but it is related to recruiting vs. Syracuse, which is the case for AJ. The Big East gives us a local, northeast, presence in recruiting northeast kids. The Big East is a strong basketball league with a NYC base. Syracuse plays in a league that is a North Carolina-based league, which may not be as attractive to northeast kids. While Syracuse celebrates being in the ACC, maybe it's a move that weakens their basketball program. Less identity with the northeast.

Just reinforces the benefit of the move from the AAC for the good guys!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This may not be the right place to post this, but it is related to recruiting vs. Syracuse, which is the case for AJ. The Big East gives us a local, northeast, presence in recruiting northeast kids. The Big East is a strong basketball league with a NYC base. Syracuse plays in a league that is a North Carolina-based league, which may not be as attractive to northeast kids. While Syracuse celebrates being in the ACC, maybe it's a move that weakens their basketball program. Less identity with the northeast.

Considering this thread has devolved into talking about dust in the rafters at the old Field House, I wouldn't worry too much about your post slightly veering off-topic.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I think this point should not be understated. Andre made it clear he wanted his mom and brother to be able to see as many games as possible in person.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We were ranked 20th, St John's ranked 15th. We won 72-58. Then we had a huge bonfire in the jungle until the riot police arrived.

IN the jungle or in the quad? I could see it being either.... Also, lived in north during the 2011 championship and got to witness the riot where kids tore down the light posts one by one. Magical night.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Agreed. I think this point should not be understated. Andre made it clear he wanted his mom and brother to be able to see as many games as possible in person.
Do you(or anyone else on here)know if his brother is any good? One of the articles mentioned that he was going to be starting for Albany as a sophomore..

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Considering this thread has devolved into talking about dust in the rafters at the old Field House, I wouldn't worry too much about your post slightly veering off-topic.
That’s where I watched games when I was a student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom