Andre Jackson goes #36 to Milwaukee Buck (via Orlando) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson goes #36 to Milwaukee Buck (via Orlando)

Reaction Score
Everything I read had late-1st as a best case scenario.
Yes. Which is why I regretfully asked if he knew he was going 36th would he make the same decision. Anyway, we are all Ajax fans and let’s hope he plays well!

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
The point is Andre is a unique talent. He has elite nba athleticism w no jump shot. He is an outlier. No one on here knows what was told to his camp at the deadline. The case can be made that if he returned to school, improved his jump shot, that he would be a lottery pick. It is merely a hypothetical. I am not convinced as so many on here are that this was the best case scenario.

I think we can reasonably say if Andre came back and scored 16ppg with his same intangibles on 35% or better from a mid-to-high volume from 3 then he would get drafted in the first round. Probably late because of his age.

Does anyone think that would happen though? He's had 3 years in college to develop a shot and hasn't. There's only so many resources in a college program, and it's possible he doesn't have it in him even with NBA coaching either.

Reaction Score
I think we can reasonably say if Andre came back and scored 16ppg with his same intangibles on 35% or better from a mid-to-high volume from 3 then he would get drafted in the first round. Probably late because of his age.

Does anyone think that would happen though? He's had 3 years in college to develop a shot and hasn't. There's only so many resources in a college program, and it's possible he doesn't have it in him even with NBA coaching either.
I am far more optimistic about Andre’s shot upside than many here. Some of the issue is mental /confidence. His arch, rotation and backspin gives you something that one can work with.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Bucks know that Andre is The Answer.
Bored Season 5 GIF by The Office

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Truth is, guys get picked in the second round for good reasons. Usually, it’s a grind to stick around long term. There will always be outliers with a few really succeeding. Most don’t make it very long.

I am of course very happy for Andre but in hindsight knowing what we know now, I think he should have came back. The second round would always be available to him. Now, maybe the medicals scared teams late and at the deadline he was receiving different information. Probably. But risk/reward shifted dropping into second round long term.
Bobby Moynihan No GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Trying to force that level of scoring might have taken away the focus on intangibles

pj

Reaction Score
Trying to force that level of scoring might have taken away the focus on intangibles

Yes! It was more important to develop his strengths than to mitigate his weaknesses. His strengths got him drafted. Weaknesses can be mitigated on the court, it's a team game, teammates can cover for your weaknesses. But practice and development time has to build exceptional strengths.

Reaction Score

This narrative Andre would have to be a volume shooter is entirely false. He needed to improve his technique and show an ability to hit an open shot consistently. He is so good at so many other things he never has to be a volume scorer.
Let me ask another honest question, do you really think any player will stick in the nba playing the 2 or 3 that has Andre’s current shot? He is going to have to improve regardless if he wants a second contract. He has to get it to a point to keep opposing team defenses honest, nothing more. Let’s hope he does.

Reaction Score
Based on their draft position and roster needs.. Andre was one of Milwaukee's targets in this draft. After he remained undrafted by pick #30.. They were determined to go "get our guy" and insured that by trading up a position with Orlando on a draft swap and cash deal. He had a great workout and interview with them..

Coach Griffen prefers players who pride themselves on defensive side of the ball and are great teammates on the court and in the locker room.. Giannis needs people around him who can get him the ball in his spots.. Andre will be able to do that in the future. Buck's GM even mentioned that he was most impressed with Andre as a connector--making the right pass at the right time to the right player--With outstanding BBIQ. The Bucks also pride themselves in their SnC/conditioning and skill development resources and know exactly what they're getting in Andre.

I would say its a smart pick/great gamble by Bucks at that draft spot and an excellent landing spot for Andre and his skill package.

Reaction Score
This narrative Andre would have to be a volume shooter is entirely false. He needed to improve his technique and show an ability to hit an open shot consistently. He is so good at so many other things he never has to be a volume scorer.
Let me ask another honest question, do you really think any player will stick in the nba playing the 2 or 3 that has Andre’s current shot? He is going to have to improve regardless if he wants a second contract. He has to get it to a point to keep opposing team defenses honest, nothing more. Let’s hope he does.

Ok, he only needs to be a spot up shooter and improve his form. He hasn't done it in 3 years. Why do you think he can do it now in the exact same environment?

If you're stagnant, something has to change.

Reaction Score
Yes. Which is why I regretfully asked if he knew he was going 36th would he make the same decision. Anyway, we are all Ajax fans and let’s hope he plays well!
If we all knew this was a very real possibility (and likelihood), I'm sure he was aware as well.

Reaction Score
Ok, he only needs to be a spot up shooter and improve his form. He hasn't done it in 3 years. Why do you think he can do it now in the exact same environment?

If you're stagnant, something has to change.
For one, its not the exact same enviornment. Whatever, it started as a simple question. I am a huge fan of Andre and really hope he thrives in the NBA. I can still wonder if coming back for one more year in hindsight was the better finanical move. Lets move on.

Reaction Score
For one, its not the exact same enviornment. Whatever, it started as a simple question. I am a huge fan of Andre and really hope he thrives in the NBA. I can still wonder if coming back for one more year in hindsight was the better finanical move. Lets move on.

Same college team. Same coaches. Same practice gym. Same amount of time with coaches in the off-seasonA couple different teammates and managers?

For all intents and purposes, it's the same environment.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I really don’t get why people ignore the clear evidence of his end of the year play that didn’t have much to do with him making threes and had more to do with him not focusing on that.

To see that, and then circle back around to “He needs to work on his three point shooting” doesn’t make sense. He played his best basketball down the stretch hitting maybe one three a game.

It feels like he wasted three years of developing his scoring on trying to be a three point shooter instead of trying to make other, easier, parts of his game better. That could’ve also better prepared him to be a productive offensive player at the next level without living and dying with his biggest flaw.

Outside of shooting, I don’t think people understanding just how much he is lacking from the rest of his offensive scoring game that isn’t normal.

Reaction Score
Same college team. Same coaches. Same practice gym. Same amount of time with coaches in the off-seasonA couple different teammates and managers?

For all intents and purposes, it's the same environment.
Different players. Different role in offense. Its constantly changing and evolving.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The reports I saw from scouts suggested that he'd need to completely rebuild his shot from scratch. He can't do that if he's trying to win games at UConn. He can if he's in the G-League (which is where I think he will start out). He has to be in a situation where winning is irrelevant, but working on a redesigned jump shot is all that matters.

Reaction Score
Different players. Different role in offense. Its constantly changing and evolving.

He was a spot up shooter the last 3 years and he will be a spot up shooter when he learns to shoot. The difference in his role on offense doesn't matter. It's the same shot.

Our team has some managers and limited practices time with coaches. Most of his work has to be alone because of NCAA rules. The resources to rebuild his shot don't exist at the college level don't exist. We know this because he hasn't. His shooting form still looks like a 5th-graders.

Even In the G-league there is unlimited time on the practice court with dedicated skill development pros. It's not even a remotely comprable situation. Andre could wake up at 3am on a whim and some trainer will show up at the gym to work with him.

What you're saying is just silly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Andre could wake up at 3am on a whim and some trainer will show up at the gym to work with him.
FWIW, Shabazz praised the UConn managers for their willingness to rebound for players "even at 12 o'clock at night."

Reaction Score
FWIW, Shabazz praised the UConn managers for their willingness to rebound for players "even at 12 o'clock at night."

That's really unnecessary and I doubt he was actually doing that, and actually just meant to express gratitude for the managers' dedication. They have a shooting gun for every hoop. But point taken.

Nonetheless, I think you can understand having an NBA-level coach available for training as much as a player wants is very different than what is allowed in college.

Reaction Score
That's really unnecessary and I doubt he was actually doing that, and actually just meant to express gratitude for the managers' dedication. They have a shooting gun for every hoop. But point taken.

Nonetheless, I think you can understand having an NBA-level coach available for training as much as a player wants is very different than what is allowed in college.
Convenient because it fits your narrative. Andre certainly could have fixed his mechanics all summer as well in Storrs, Amsterdam ny or where ever.
What’s silly is your notion that the g league is the only place he can fix his shot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's really unnecessary is this reply.

Reaction Score
Convenient because it fits your narrative. Andre certainly could have fixed his mechanics all summer as well in Storrs, Amsterdam ny or where ever.
I don't know why you're still going with this. You claim to ask a genuine question and then when 12 people all chime in with the same answer you push back. Really starting to seem like you just wanted to bash Andre on his way out by questioning his decision

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To me, you only return to school if a) you aren't on any draft boards or b) a freshman who maybe is late pick but is going into sophomore year with lottery upside.

Jackson now has an NBA team that for his sake hopefully has millions invested into to help with his shot working 24/7. I know people like to downplay it for whatever reason but without having school to deal with that frees up even more of his time for 1 on 1 NBA shooting coaching.

Think he has a lot to offer in the NBA if he can improve even just a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom