Andre Jackson could easily rise up to late lottery prospect next year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson could easily rise up to late lottery prospect next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Weird example, Hasheem is one of the all-time busts. Hopefully he has tons of money put away but as Calhoun always said it's all about that second contract.

No clue why you're bringing up women's basketball. The WNBA loses money, the NBA makes over 10 billion dollars.
No one who makes 16M in 5 years is a bust. He would have made less if he stayed his senior year because he could only move up 1 spot but he could have fallen way down (plus the injury risks, etc). He made the maximum amount out of the NBA that he could have by leaving when he did.

The women’s basketball is to showcase how NIL is changing the thought process of players. Clark will make 10-15x next year at Iowa than what she would make in the WNBA. On the men’s side NIL really matters more for the fringe players (late first, second rounders, and non-drafted) because you could possibly make the same paycheck as you would playing as a pro oversees while staying in school - which was not an option before. Second round contracts aren’t guaranteed so if a Tristen Newton type who is undrafted projected can make 250-500 large while staying in school it makes sense. Hawkins being a lottery/mid-first means guaranteed 3/10M plus or minus so it’s an obvious decision to go.

Reaction Score
Andre is going to put up some insane numbers. I'm guessing 46" vertical.

He will need to put numbers up like that one shooting the ball as well though.

Hope he does great things but the reality, and ultimately good news is best chance we see him in a Husky uni in ‘23-24.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is absolutely, wildly wrong and that quote was always his worst one. That first contract changes your life forever. That’s all that matters. Everything else after is gravy and the average NBA career is what, 3 years? Most NBA players NEVER see a second contract.

Remember when Calipari told one of his players to go, they got drafted mid to late first round and then discovered a medical issue that forced him to retire (I can’t recall the name)? That guaranteed contract set him for life, had he returned he would be broke. All that talk about a second contract is preposterous given the risks of injury,etc.

Andre could get drafted 30th, be guaranteed 3yr/4M plus endorsements and he’s set. The first pick is guaranteed 3/14m I believe.

Now The NIL is now a huge wildcard for the fringe first rounders/second rounders/undraftables because if you can make 500k-1M or more while returning to school instead of the G league or overseas it can now make financial sense.
Jim Calhoun is even more right today than when he said it. He gave good advice and knew exactly what he was talking about. The concept that earning $4 million in your early twenties sets you for life today, is total nonsense. And this assumes a second round best case. You are paying a very high tax rate on much of the money - much higher than if you made $4 million over a 30 year career. The agent takes his cut of the pie too and you have a 21 year old making the same financial decisions we would have made at that age. Many people make over $4 million in their career (look at the annual earnings in your Social Security Statement). You may be comfortable but not this set for life fantasy that you calculate.

Reaction Score
No one who makes 16M in 5 years is a bust. He would have made less if he stayed his senior year because he could only move up 1 spot but he could have fallen way down (plus the injury risks, etc). He made the maximum amount out of the NBA that he could have by leaving when he did.

The women’s basketball is to showcase how NIL is changing the thought process of players. Clark will make 10-15x next year at Iowa than what she would make in the WNBA. On the men’s side NIL really matters more for the fringe players (late first, second rounders, and non-drafted) because you could possibly make the same paycheck as you would playing as a pro oversees while staying in school - which was not an option before. Second round contracts aren’t guaranteed so if a Tristen Newton type who is undrafted projected can make 250-500 large while staying in school it makes sense. Hawkins being a lottery/mid-first means guaranteed 3/10M plus or minus so it’s an obvious decision to go.
He's absolutely a bust. He's one of the all-time draft busts along with guys like Anthony Bennett, Michael Olowokandi, and Darko. He clearly wasn't ready for the NBA, it doesn't mean staying in college another year would've made him more ready for the NBA though. I agree with Calhoun, it's all about that second contract.

Again, the women's game has no relevance to the men's game. The NBA has an operating loss baked in every year keeping the WNBA afloat. The highest paid WNBA player makes $252,000 per season. They're all wildly overpaid but yes Paige Bueckers and Caitlyn Clark make more money through social media than they would from a WNBA contract.

Reaction Score
This would be Andre Jackson’s team
He’s gonna likely make more cash at UConn than a 2 nd rd pick in the nba.
The whole point of the thread is to compare
wgat jalen Williams did and feeling Andre has a chance to do the same. Whatever he wants to do I wish him the best

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

If Hasheem isn’t a bust then there’s no use for the term. It’s amazing for him that he got to the point of making that much money life wise. Basketball wise he’s the definition of a bust.

Second contracts are absolutely important too and is something that Bouknight is looking to experience right now as that’s when guys really get to cash in. Jordan Poole went from making 4M in about 4 years to $32M a year. That’s the goal.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s been a single person on this board to suggest that Andre wouldn’t be a second round pick this year if he stays in. Everyone knows that he would be so I don’t know why you keep acting like you’re breaking news.

You’re the only one talking about getting picked in the second round like it’s some kind of winning lottery ticket.

Your percentages are just made up nonsense. You have no idea where he is in his decision-making. If he was just looking for a guarantee that he’s getting picked 55th overall he probably wouldn’t be holding open the door to coming back.
I think if he is 55th, and it’s guaranteed that he will get an nba deal, he goes. Agents talk all the time.

Y’all act like him staying for one more year is in his best interest. Top 40 in nba draft is what you want at this point.

3 year, $6 million contract is what he would get as a second rounder.

Second round picks aren’t career death sentences anymore. We need to understand that.

G League and two way roster spots > college in many instances.

Reaction Score
3 year, $6 million contract is what he would get as a second rounder.
I guess I haven't been paying attention, but when did 2nd round draft picks start getting $6 million 3 year guaranteed contracts? If that's the case then it's worth giving it a go if it looks like he's going to get drafted at least in the top half of the 2nd round.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun is even more right today than when he said it. He gave good advice and knew exactly what he was talking about. The concept that earning $4 million in your early twenties sets you for life today, is total nonsense. And this assumes a second round best case. You are paying a very high tax rate on much of the money - much higher than if you made $4 million over a 30 year career. The agent takes his cut of the pie too and you have a 21 year old making the same financial decisions we would have made at that age. Many people make over $4 million in their career (look at the annual earnings in your Social Security Statement). You may be comfortable but not this set for life fantasy that you calculate.
You can't be serious.

$2m grows at a rate of 7% a year means you can take 5% of the annual growth ($100k) and live on it. And your money will still grow. This is already better than a kid getting a $100k salary because the investment will be taxed at 15%.

Reaction Score
I guess I haven't been paying attention, but when did 2nd round draft picks start getting $6 million 3 year guaranteed contracts? If that's the case then it's worth giving it a go if it looks like he's going to get drafted at least in the top half of the 2nd round.
Not all guarantees. But what nba players thinks he isn’t going to be able to play for his contract?

. Check out what guys get in the nba even as second rounders.

4 year, $8m contracts with 2 years guaranteed for early second round rounders

Nba minimum is $953,000 on rookie scale. I think it goes up with new nba contracts. There are now 3 two-way contracts as well. Two way contracts are worth 1/2 of rookie minimum, essentially $500k per year.

Tyrese Martin, 51st pick. Signed a 2 year deal for $2 million. Second year not guaranteed. His option is set to be picked up in July. No reason to think he won’t have to picked up. If he doesn’t, he made $1 million this year.

I just don’t see how Jackson falls out of top 40 with his athleticism and defensive versatility and ball handling. If he is like the 35th pick, he will sign an nba deal.

Nba isn’t looking for Jackson to be an all star. Rather a possible Rotation player who is versatile defensively. Will Jackson ever be a double digit nba scorer? Probably not. But there are a lot of people who score points. You can find shooters. Can they defend, rebound, dribble and play with the speed that Jackson does?

I always think of San Hauser. Unstaffed, Celtics sign him to two-way. After one year, bump him to a fully guaranteed 3 year deal at just over $6 million.

The G league isn’t paying players $80k anymore .

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Silver, I think you are arguing under the belief that Andre's preference is to turn pro. This may actually be the case but everything written suggests that he would rather return but will follow Hurley's guidance and Hurley has told him that if he has guaranteed money (which only happens if he has some assurances from somewhere that he will be a first round pick) he will advise him to turn pro. I doubt Hurley will advise him to turn pro to chase a G-League deal.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious.

$2m grows at a rate of 7% a year means you can take 5% of the annual growth ($100k) and live on it. And your money will still grow. This is already better than a kid getting a $100k salary because the investment will be taxed at 15%.
The taxes and agent commissions come out up front. Would we have so many athletes ending up broke if they just spent $100k a year? What investment returned 7% last year? Most lost money and the non risk investments we were still getting very little interest on until towards the end of the year.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The taxes and agent commissions come out up front. Would we have so many athletes ending up broke if they just spent $100k a year? What investment returned 7% last year? Most lost money and the non risk investments we were still getting very little interest on until towards the end of the year.
And the year before +14 percent wasn't uncommon. What's the average dow index rate of return the last 20 years (I'll give you a hint, it's higher than 7 percent)?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Silver, I think you are arguing under the belief that Andre's preference is to turn pro. This may actually be the case but everything written suggests that he would rather return but will follow Hurley's guidance and Hurley has told him that if he has guaranteed money (which only happens if he has some assurances from somewhere that he will be a first round pick) he will advise him to turn pro. I doubt Hurley will advise him to turn pro to chase a G-League deal.

This 100%. Rob Dauster said in Top Dogs he's getting the sense that Andre doesn't want to play in the G League next year and that if he had to settle for a two-way deal that he would rather come back to school. Obviously a first round pick would be too enticing to turn down.

Reaction Score
And the year before +14 percent wasn't uncommon. What's the average dow index rate of return the last 20 years (I'll give you a hint, it's higher than 7 percent)?
You realize some guys are buying one car worth close to the $100,000 of annual spending money cited by a poster here. It’s not a one size fits all. And to think the last 20-30 years of perfect storm stock market performance (relatively low interest rates and inflation) is going to repeat itself is foolish. And the model you seem to be using is 0% asset diversification into anything other than stocks. I wonder how many financial planners agree with that? Every guy’s situation is different and some guys should go and others shouldn’t.

A few years ago I thought James should have stayed in school another year, and despite being the 10th pick in the draft I still do, due to hooefully benefiting from another year of maturity.

Obviously, Andre fortunately doesn’t have those issues - so let’s see what NBA feedback he receives - I am confident he will make a good decision based on the feedback. He will definitely turn some heads at the combine and in interviews. He’s an outstanding young man.

Reaction Score
The fact that they squander their money has little to do with the fact that they could live on the proceeds from $4m.

Did you miss where my calculations were made AFTER removing taxes and commissions up front?

I calculated what you could do by investing $2m in the S&P and withdrawing $100k every year.

The true amount left over from a $4m salary is $200k to the agent (5%) and $1.4m to the Feds (37%), which leaves $2.4m.

If anything, I was conservative i my calculation.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Andre could nearly double that $4 million if he puts it all on red at Mohegan and hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom