andre jackson. buy stock now. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

andre jackson. buy stock now.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Actually, there were two really good You Tube videos of that Dream Season including some dunks by Scotty put on this message board today. Scotty is no where near as high as Jackson can get.

You are mixing up Burrell's basketball ability and his overall athleticism vs Jackson's pure basketball athleticism. You've done it consistently but it's still wrong.

Burrell was a better basketball player as a freshman than Jackson
Burrell is a better all around athlete than Jackson
Jackson's on court athleticism is better than Burrell's.
While I agree with you on athletitic jaw dropping ability, Jackson is a highlight reel who lacks the ability to be any more than a role player right now. He can’t take over a game. Actually, his seeming total lack of a shot is pretty disappointing for such a touted recruit. I understand he had an injury, but with his ability to elevate and his length, he’d be scary if he could make even 12 footers at a decent clip. I hope he does nothing but shoot several hundred jumpers a day so that he can get some proficiency and confidence.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Check out these dunks by Scott Burrell at the :55 mark and the 5:50 mark. You're telling me those are dunks or athleticism AJ cannot do?

If Bill Gates develops a memory chip to implant in our brains, this video will be the first thing I download. Even before my wedding video.

Reaction Score
Teach Andre to shoot. Done.
Easier said than done. He also has a very high dribble when driving. He needs to tighten this up if he wants to get past his defender as they are already playing 2 feet off of him. For a top 100 recruit his lack of offense besides passing is quite disappointing.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
I hope he does nothing but shoot several hundred jumpers a day . . .
Let's hit this with some math. Let's call "several hundred" 300. With a shagger, figure he can get off about 1 shot every 4 seconds, or about 15 a minute. For 300, that's about 20 minutes of practice.

I hope that he shoots about 1,500 shots a day, minimum, which would be about 2 hours of work on his shot. Him figuring out how to hit a 3 at 35% is the difference between the NBA and the EU. If I was him, and I had NBA aspirations, I would be on the court shooting until my arms fell off, which realistically is about 6-8 hours per day, in 2 or 3 sessions, for about 4,000+ shots a day, every day, no exceptions.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
He also has a very high dribble when driving. He needs to tighten this up if he wants to get past his defender as they are already playing 2 feet off of him.
His handle is very tight, and he rarely loses his dribble. The fact that defenders sag off of him has nothing to do with his dribble.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Where can we get another Henefeld?
Aren't you the guy that wants JC to come back and coach? Stuff like this could be a sign of low T.

Reaction Score
Let's hit this with some math. Let's call "several hundred" 300. With a shagger, figure he can get off about 1 shot every 4 seconds, or about 15 a minute. For 300, that's about 20 minutes of practice.

I hope that he shoots about 1,500 shots a day, minimum, which would be about 2 hours of work on his shot. Him figuring out how to hit a 3 at 35% is the difference between the NBA and the EU. If I was him, and I had NBA aspirations, I would be on the court shooting until my arms fell off, which realistically is about 6-8 hours per day, in 2 or 3 sessions, for about 4,000+ shots a day, every day, no exceptions.

Usually coaches set a goal for "makes" not "takes."

At his level, though I don't know if # of repetitions is even the concern. He just needs a ton of form shooting with perfect form. 100 good shots are going to be better for him that 1000 of whatever he's doing now.

Reaction Score
Maybe. What game was it that he took over? Whaley had his games. Martin did. Sanogo did. Maybe you can share the clue I've missed.

Look, I love AJs skills as much as anyone. But scoring matters. Can't be a star unless you can score and this board talks him up as if he's already a star.

AJ is a great passer, a good rebounder, and has a decent handle for someone his size. But he doesn't yet put points on the board. That's not a small thing to ignore.
You forgot defense, this team's bread is buttered on defense and having a hyper athlete like him on defense makes us substantially more dangerous. Once the kid figures out how to stay out of foul trouble we will have an elite defender on our hands, and that's half the game right there.

Reaction Score
Easier said than done. He also has a very high dribble when driving. He needs to tighten this up if he wants to get past his defender as they are already playing 2 feet off of him. For a top 100 recruit his lack of offense besides passing is quite disappointing.
If the kid had the ability to put up 15 a game in college on top of the other tools he has available to him he wouldn't be at UConn right now, he'd be playing in the G-League preparing to get picked in the lottery.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In the Dark Ages when I was at UConn there were two very athletic players a year or two behind me. One, Bill Corley, could score inside and out and jump out of the gym. Really versatile. The other, Billy Gray from Hillhousd high was a high flyer who was strong and rebounded well, but at about 6’5 didn’t have much of an all around game, at least not at the varsity level. But expectations weren’t as high for him as a sort of dominator.

Jackson obviously has excellent court vision and is far from being useless, just at his supposed level of value, the lack of shooting hopefully can be corrected.

Reaction Score
In the Dark Ages when I was at UConn there were two very athletic players a year or two behind me. One, Bill Corley, could score inside and out and jump out of the gym. Really versatile. The other, Billy Gray from Hillhousd high was a high flyer who was strong and rebounded well, but at about 6’5 didn’t have much of an all around game, at least not at the varsity level. But expectations weren’t as high for him as a sort of dominator.

Jackson obviously has excellent court vision and is far from being useless, just at his supposed level of value, the lack of shooting hopefully can be corrected.
Billy Gray, I well remember. As good a leaper as you will ever see, but nothing else. He was a star in high school where he was usually the tallest player on either team and got a lot of putbacks and dunks.

Jackson will have some months to work on his shooting. If he can develop a floater or teardrop shot, that will help even if he doesn't become a 3 point threat.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Usually coaches set a goal for "makes" not "takes."

At his level, though I don't know if # of repetitions is even the concern. He just needs a ton of form shooting with perfect form. 100 good shots are going to be better for him that 1000 of whatever he's doing now.
Preach on Coach.

Reaction Score
His handle is very tight, and he rarely loses his dribble. The fact that defenders sag off of him has nothing to do with his dribble.
I guess you haven't watched his dribbling when diving but it is high. He needs to work on learning to drive without pushing off too. I love the kids defense and court awareness but his offense leads alot to be desired.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sanogo's footwork reminds me of Corley.
Corley wasn’t called on to shoot beyond the foul line much, but he could. Saw him several times in the gym shooting from the top of the key. High percent.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Supposedly he still has to attend class and do homework.

Reaction Score
Corley wasn’t called on to shoot beyond the foul line much, but he could. Saw him several times in the gym shooting from the top of the key. High percent.
Articles on Bill Corley.

It doesn't appear that the UConnhoopslegends website has listed any interviews with players in many years. It shows pictures of the current team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Articles on Bill Corley.

It doesn't appear that the UConnhoopslegends website has listed any interviews with players in many years. It shows pictures of the current team.
He was super quick and as you said, great footwork.excellent player. His single game record was, unfortunately, a bit of a joke. The previous record was by Wes B. of 50, scored from all over the court. I think Corley scored something like 24 points in the last 5 minutes against a terrible I think New Hampshire team when his coach, Burr Carlson, decided that with 27 points and 5 minutes left a record was in reach. Really? Only against that team. Turned out he was right. So Corley was left in in a rout and even with no shot clock, Corley was able make 12 baskets on almost all lay ups. But it doesn’t negate how good he was. I think he was ineligible for several games affecting his career totals. Also, he, Bialosuknia and others in that era had fewer games to play both because they had only 3 year varsity careers and there were fewer games per season but year end tournaments were also shorter although UConn didn’t often go deep in tournaments.

Anyway, maybe AJ has been shooting those 1500 a day jumpers and will lead us to the NC. Maybe score 52 in a game.

Reaction Score
He was super quick and as you said, great footwork.excellent player. His single game record was, unfortunately, a bit of a joke. The previous record was by Wes B. of 50, scored from all over the court. I think Corley scored something like 24 points in the last 5 minutes against a terrible I think New Hampshire team when his coach, Burr Carlson, decided that with 27 points and 5 minutes left a record was in reach. Really? Only against that team. Turned out he was right. So Corley was left in in a rout and even with no shot clock, Corley was able make 12 baskets on almost all lay ups. But it doesn’t negate how good he was. I think he was ineligible for several games affecting his career totals. Also, he, Bialosuknia and others in that era had fewer games to play both because they had only 3 year varsity careers and there were fewer games per season but year end tournaments were also shorter although UConn didn’t often go deep in tournaments.

Anyway, maybe AJ has been shooting those 1500 a day jumpers and will lead us to the NC. Maybe score 52 in a game.
For starters, how about a cumulative total of 52 for 4 consecutive games for a 13 p.p.g average carried over the rest of the season. Add in 4 a.p.g. and 5 rebounds.

Maybe 52 against New Hampshire or a similar type school in 2021. Or, against Cincinnati as presently constituted.

Reaction Score
didn’t read the whole thread, but, instead of 3’s, why not the ben simmons style hooks & bunnies around the basket? he’s got the height and athleticism. tyrese martin is cashing in there

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
And there's plenty of posters on this board who think Scott Burrell is a better run jump athlete than him. Lolz.
all that grainy black & white super 8mm makes him loom more athletic... now get off my lawn.

Reaction Score
I predict Andre will be at least a borderline all conference level player next year.
Andre will certainly become a more dominating defender and rebounder, and his passing/facilitating will also continue to improve. He has instincts and vision for sure. From a scoring perspective, once he starts driving to the hoop from different spots on the floor, and finishing or drawing fouls, his impact will surely be felt. What I really want to see him develop is some sort of midrange game via a jump stop or pull up jumper. If he can get more scoring going he would really be a handful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom