Andre’s shooting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre’s shooting

Reaction Score
Time and again, BYers amazed me. I’m not talking about his role on this team and provide what’s required of him to win, rather, what will make him individually better at basketball, at least career wise.

Reaction Score
There was a video posted here over the summer that showed Andre shooting 3's, and his form looked much improved over last year. I have to believe his finger is the problem. I think he'll improve as his finger fully heals, but I'd still like to see him finish those floaters in the lane.
I think that was prior to last season. At this point he either produces with what he’s got or rebuilds his shot. He’s got to rebuild it for the NBA but I’d wait until April to start that process.

Reaction Score
I need him to work on it now not when season is over. Stay extra in the gym with Newton and Alleyne
Do you seriously think his poor shooting comes from lack of work? Id bet no one works harder than AJ. For what ever reason he failed to develop fundamentally on his offense when he was developing and got by with his superior athletic ability. This is who hes been and who he is. I would expect very little improvement this season unless he starts just attacking the rim and trying to dunk everything.

Reaction Score
This is who hes been and who he is.

This never flies. This usually translates “lazy”. He is much younger than adamo.
Sanogo worked entire summer for 3 pointers, and the result showed. He is definitely a hard working kid, but he may not work on what he needs most. If I were AJ and shooting is identified as my glaring weakness and that’s the sole factor stopping me getting into League, I’m going to take whatever it takes, including completely change my shooting form, style or mechanics.

Reaction Score
This never flies. This usually translates “lazy”. He is much younger than adamo.
Sanogo worked entire summer for 3 pointers, and the result showed. He is definitely a hard working kid, but he may not work on what he needs most. If I were AJ and shooting is identified as my glaring weakness and that’s the sole factor stopping me getting into League, I’m going to take whatever it takes, including completely change my shooting form, style or mechanics.
Youre right. Im sure he hasnt done any of that. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As I pointed out yesterday, Andre's pinky and ring finger are still taped together. Try shooting a ball with those fingers held together. He should shoot less until he's healed (only wide open 3s), but y'all are overreacting about his shooting ability. The same injury robbed Sanogo of all his touch at the end of last season. Patience.

Andre's release is still ugly and that has nothing to do with the fingers. He still has that hitch in his shot put type which is not pretty. He just isn't a shooter and as @HailUConn said he should of been working on his shot all summer like Sanogo to improve it.

Reaction Score
Much younger than Sanogo? He’s actually older than him. Turned 21 a couple weeks ago; Sanogo turns 21 in February. Remember, Adama reclassed a year up.

Reaction Score
Much younger than Sanogo? He’s actually older than him. Turned 21 a couple weeks ago; Sanogo turns 21 in February. Remember, Adama reclassed a year up.

Good catch, but he is still young pup in my eyes! I mean, come on, imagine he adds shooting to his game and maybe some post-up plays? His stock will sky rocket and he will definitely help hang a NC banner for us.

Reaction Score
There's dozens of threads from over of the summer about Andre working on his shot, and working on his form. It looked much better. Let's see what he looks like when he's healthy and without his fingers taped, we already saw a huge improvement with his shooting last season

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You chose to ignore all the replies about his broken finger, that’s on you. Sanogo isn’t taking pull up 3s either.

Reaction Score
Do you seriously think his poor shooting comes from lack of work? Id bet no one works harder than AJ. For what ever reason he failed to develop fundamentally on his offense when he was developing and got by with his superior athletic ability. This is who hes been and who he is. I would expect very little improvement this season unless he starts just attacking the rim and trying to dunk everything.
Welp, I expect improvement.

Reaction Score
At this point AJax needs to stop worrying about being an outsdide shooting threat. We have plenty of those. Just find a way to upfake and go to the rim using your athleticism and hit drives, layups, and dunks. Be who you are. You are not Steph Curry. Who cares ! Play well and win games!

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Personally, I believe the best role for Andre is to be the defensive stopper off the bench until he gets stuff figured out offensively. I’m not sold that it’s the fingers, injury. It’s the out of control, extremely loose, play. Like I’m certain he’s turning it over every time he touches the ball. Still a very difficult player to criticize given how bought in he is and how hard he reps UConn. Maybe some pregame meditation for him.

Reaction Score
At this point AJax needs to stop worrying about being an outsdide shooting threat. We have plenty of those. Just find a way to upfake and go to the rim using your athleticism and hit drives, layups, and dunks. Be who you are. You are not Steph Curry. Who cares ! Play well and win games!
I was going to post something similar….this 100%. His hesitancy to take it to the hole is more troubling To me than his outside shot. He passed several times when he could have gone to the basket

Reaction Score
Give him an honest break re: his fingers when it comes to driving hard. We'll see.
His 3 is a one-off unique for a player that isn't a born scorer. Good move adding this. It was better last season and won't get worse.
We and he should embrace the incredible things he does bring: enormous disruption and facilitation.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
There's dozens of threads from over of the summer about Andre working on his shot, and working on his form. It looked much better. Let's see what he looks like when he's healthy and without his fingers taped, we already saw a huge improvement with his shooting last season
Amen! He's not going to give up; that we can be assured of. So neither should we give up on him. This edition of the Huskies has come out as a team. You can see the unity and unselfishness. Let's enjoy the ride and watch as this season unfolds into something we have long been waiting for.

Reaction Score
I’m 100% sure he worked on his shot during the off season. But Hurley was also looking at this roster, and I expect that he asked AJ to focus on his ball handling and passing as top priorities knowing that the team needed a second PG behind/with Newton.

I’d have to do some slo-mo video to give an analysis of where his shot goes wrong. Yes, he was a lot more effective last season than his FR year. But his form was still…wrong. It needs to get fixed. And even without doing that, he is a leader who contributes a ton to the team.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
A lot of posters don’t have the processing power to realize every game won’t be a carbon copy of the last two. They can’t fathom that there will be games where Alleyne and Jackson come up big and where Calcaterra doesn’t.

Reaction Score
I’m 100% sure he worked on his shot during the off season. But Hurley was also looking at this roster, and I expect that he asked AJ to focus on his ball handling and passing as top priorities knowing that the team needed a second PG behind/with Newton.

I’d have to do some slo-mo video to give an analysis of where his shot goes wrong. Yes, he was a lot more effective last season than his FR year. But his form was still…wrong. It needs to get fixed. And even without doing that, he is a leader who contributes a ton to the team.

This is the best, most constructive input I’ve seen so far. I’m positive that Hurley has priorities for him for the team, but again, the angle of discussion is focusing on Andre.

My closing remark is that I really want this kid to succeed because of his loyalty and heart. I hope he develops a better shooting form.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Personally, I believe the best role for Andre is to be the defensive stopper off the bench until he gets stuff figured out offensively. I’m not sold that it’s the fingers, injury. It’s the out of control, extremely loose, play. Like I’m certain he’s turning it over every time he touches the ball. Still a very difficult player to criticize given how bought in he is and how hard he reps UConn. Maybe some pregame meditation for him.

If nothing else for chemistry and consistency, bringing Andre off the bench as an "energy" guy seems to be working.

Gone are the days of scoring 2-4 points in the first six minutes of game and spending the rest of the game clawing back in to it. The current starters play well together and provide plenty of offense and defense to get the game going. Having Jackson, Calcaterra, Clingan, and Diarra to come off the bench provides Hurley with plenty of options to mix and match based on the flow of the game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A lot of posters don’t have the processing power to realize every game won’t be a carbon copy of the last two. They can’t fathom that there will be games where Alleyne and Jackson come up big and where Calcaterra doesn’t.

I think everyone expects that to happen but none of that has anything to do with Jackson's inability to consistently hit the rim (nevermind making the shot) when he shoots outside of 10'.

Reaction Score

I don't agree with these guys but the people posting about Andre's improved shooting form were clueless. Yeah he had a little bit more fluidity to it and his footwork improved. So it's certainly a bit better... but FAR from a shot that looks right.

He still grips the ball wrong, holds it too far from his face, has bad balance, no rhythm, etc. His shooting % improved because of reps and confidence, not because his form was even remotely close to good.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to give final judgement on him until at least another 4-6 games & he gets his hand back Untappd.

All reputable accounts had him living in the gym over the summer so the people in this thread implying he hasn’t been putting in the time are silly. I also love the armchair coaches who want the opportunity to do slo-mo video analyses to fix his shot…do you honestly think our coaching staff hasn’t been doing that?

The videos released leading into the season showed an MUCH improved (albeit still flawed & unpretty shot as compared to Hawk & Joey Coldcuts). These of course were in a practice setting.

The corner 3 he hit against Del St off a set play was a decent looking 3. Importantly, it was in rhythm and was in the flow of the game.

Honestly it seems like right now he is plying with SO MUCH energy on D that he’s then too hyped/wound up when he’s on the perimeter on O. One of his 3s vs Alabama had decent form & was just a little strong. The others were forced and looked ugly. Needs to mentally slow down. Things will improve when that happens (which I think it will). He did have a really nice dribble drive and actually laid it in…vs doing his floater.

Gotta have some patience!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom