Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Seton Hall [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Seton Hall [merged thread]

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
AEH's travel itinerary reminds me of a spectacular 1969 Firesign Theatre album.

How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All

image.jpeg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Do you think with the benefit of hindsight she wishes she tried a lot harder to actually listen to UConn's coaches and do what she had been told?

I’m sure she does. You can’t tell me she’s happy with the way her college career turned out. She got a huge break when she transferred to Miss St., was granted a waiver and was allowed to play immediately.

I was aware that she had opted out of this year’s play, but like others here, was not aware she wanted to leave. A new coach coming in that did not recruit her, and bringing in her own players, AEH could very easily read the writing on the wall and do the simple math = she didn't fit in. :(

Interesting that she didn't follow Vic Schaefer to Texas. We'll never know, but it could be she did not wish to go, or she was not offered an invitation. Good luck to Andra this season. Good for her she was able to find a landing spot close to home. The Seton Hall campus is only a 59 minute drive (per Google maps) from her Ossining NY home. That means family and friends can easily attend all of her home games.

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Goodbye, AEH. She was really beloved in Starkville and based on what I'm seeing here, she's a real enigma at UConn as well. We all enjoyed her in that year with McCowan when she shot her way through the SEC. Was a part of a team that swept the entire conference to an 18-1 record - one of the most dominating SEC teams in recent memory.

Unfortunately, we all know by now that she's not a starter on a Top 6 team (based on the current AP rankings) - and those being her first 2 destinations in college she was in for it when she aims that high.

Hopefully I'll see her at one of her games next year. (I heard our main Bulldog expert say she's eligible starting only next year) I lived 10 miles from South Orange before Covid.

Reaction Score
Two things, shouldn't this thread be in the General Women's Basketball section? I got the feeling she transfers/transferred to team's that will "likely" play against UConn...no doubt now in the BE.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So here’s a question. In August AEH announced her decision to sit out the season at MS St due to COVID related concerns. The pandemic in NJ is every bit as bad, if not worse than in Starkville, MS. So does AEH plan to play during the spring semester at Seton Hall or will she continue to opt out this season with plans to play again next season, and if she doesn’t play this season, where might she end up next season if she decides to transfer yet again? :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is an example of why I have mixed feelings about how the NCAA should manage the transfer process. In general, I support giving athletes right to choose, but this is based on the thought that they will make good decisions.

Reaction Score
There are 2 ex-UConn players I always feel they are lost. One is Sadie Edwards and the other is
Andra Espinoza-Hunter.

Reaction Score
There are 2 ex-UConn players I always feel they are lost. One is Sadie Edwards and the other is
Andra Espinoza-Hunter.

Why do you think Sadie was lost? She spent less than half a season at Uconn before transferring to USC and it works out fine for her playing and subsequent career. If changing one's mind as a young person means you are lost then the world is full of lost souls.

Reaction Score
Why do you think Sadie was lost? She spent less than half a season at Uconn before transferring to USC and it works out fine for her playing and subsequent career. If changing one's mind as a young person means you are lost then the world is full of lost souls.
This is just my feeling Of course you can have your opinion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Edwards transfer. Edwards wanted PT right away and she confronted Geno about it before the second semester of her freshman year. She did get PT right away at USC and had a nice career there, but it certainly would have been interesting had she stayed and put in the work at UConn.

Edwards was a superb athlete with a big upside. She was the 2nd ranked UConn recruit in her class behind Gabby. 4 years at UConn might have landed her in the pros. As it is, Edwards has landed a nice AC job at Indiana and I assume she’s happy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is she eligible immediately, since is a Grad Transfer, or does she have to wait until the Spring Semester?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Then you missed post #31, above. Andra played well at Mississippi State and was beloved by the fans. What's with the snark? Did she kick your dog?
:D She didn't kick my dog. The snark is because I know better. AEH left Mississippi state after a season in which she average 13 minutes per game and shot 36%.. Not exactly"career" making numbers no matter how beloved.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In a post when Andra first transferred I said if she had waited she probably would have been starting her sophomore year. Impatience has not been a good thing for Andra. She's a talented player, but 3 programs in 4 years is not going to help her game.
Her initial experience at MSU was positive. She started as a replacement for an injured starter and her shooting was good. Later the starter returned and she became a bench player and her minutes and production declined. I surmised that she did not fit Vic's system and indifferent defense was her undoing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When at the Final Four in Columbus, I chatted with some nice folks from Mississippi State. They were hopeful that Andi would be the next Victoria Vivians. I was doubtful then and remain so. As a reminder, Victoria scored nearly 5,200 points in high school (counting 8th grade), averaged 46 ppg as a senior, made 1st team All-American at State, and is playing for the Indiana Fever. I'll be interested in seeing how Andi does at Seton Hall. The good news is that she appears to have a college degree. Her academics at UConn reportedly were part of the reason for Geno's unhappiness with her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is she eligible immediately, since is a Grad Transfer, or does she have to wait until the Spring Semester?
AEH will be immediate eligible to play for Seton Hall WBB at the start of Seton Hall Spring semester (starts January 18th ) because she completed her undergraduate degree at MSU and is not receiving scholarship from MSU. It would be smart of her to do so because the NCAA has already granted an additional year of eligibility for SA who "compete" during 20-21 season. If she doesn't play in '21 she doesn't get that extra year. She also has the option to petition the NCAA for an additional year of eligibility because she only played in 7 games for UCONN during her Freshman season. She could be at Seton Hall ( or somewhere else :eek: ) playing until Spring of 2023.

Reaction Score
I just remembered that Andi tied the record for made 3 pointers in the SEC Tournament in 2019. If I remember correctly, she made 8 in the title game against Arkansas. If nothing else, she will have that record, and she was a starter on a team that won a conference title, conference tournament, and went to the Elite 8. I'd say that's not bad.

It is very interesting that she was a starter on a team that did all of that, but she struggled last year and wouldn't have seen many minutes this year. I wonder how many times that's happened before.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just remembered that Andi tied the record for made 3 pointers in the SEC Tournament in 2019. If I remember correctly, she made 8 in the title game against Arkansas. If nothing else, she will have that record, and she was a starter on a team that won a conference title, conference tournament, and went to the Elite 8. I'd say that's not bad.

It is very interesting that she was a starter on a team that did all of that, but she struggled last year and wouldn't have seen many minutes this year. I wonder how many times that's happened before.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but AEH only began starting for MS St after Bibby went down with an injury?

One of the things that I noticed about AEH is that she is a high volume shooter that needs her minutes and shots to get into an offensive flow. Two years ago she got those minutes. This past year, as a marginally used reserve, she never looked quite comfortable with her shot.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom