Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I was surprised to see Louisville on this list, as we are pretty guard heavy. I have since learned, on good authority, that Louisville is not recruiting her.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Why do BYers feel like we owe players that transfer gratitude? Is it just good nature or? I dont get it.
upload_2018-1-28_7-2-40.jpeg

I totally agree... if this wasn't a well-moderated board folks would be spitting out all type of foul stuff.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Probably true, except for the Midwest, which is primarily Big 10 Conference territory where the USC Trojans are an archenemy that the schools used to play against perennially in the Rose Bowl.

And there's a school located in northern Indiana that plays USC annually in the "longest inter-sectional football rivalry in D1 football" to take the words straight out of our sports promo department. :rolleyes:

Granted, I'm a bit on the older side (compared to millennials), but growing up on northern Long Island, USC was John McKay, OJ, Pat Haden, student body left or right, the "dance" girls and that fight song (we Irish fans have long aural memories). ;)

Subsequent business trips to North Carolina, southern Va., Georgia, etc. have gotten the USC applied to the Gamecocks, but that's how I think of them: as the Gamecocks or South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I really like and enjoyed this thread as it's rather thought provoking about the manner in which one handles themselves when faced with struggles. As I think this through it leaves me with mixed thoughts and emotions.

I really like and agree with a lot of what mdoggie says but his comment about Mr. wonderful on Shark Tank I think brings one to a major point. His "she is dead to me" and much of what Mr. wonderful continually says and demonstrates make many or even most want little or nothing to do with him. If played out to its natural conclusion U Conn WBB's ongoing and continuing recruiting would be seriously hampered maybe almost destroyed. On the other hand mdoggies point that she quit on her teammates and couldn't or wouldn't handle what playing for Geno and his staff require is accurate as well. It is why as stated here so, so many times that this is not for everyone.

It is really pretty remarkable that a MW or CD can, does and will take the on-going criticisms and often severely reduced playing time and do all they can to fit in, take the suggestions to heart and do all they can to improve. For a top notch star player who has often been pampered and showered with attention from a very young age to accept this demonstrates how thoroughly and carefully U Conn recruits it's women. Also the manner in which the coaching team and especially Coach CD models and teaches these amazing young women to comport themselves is incredible. I was watching the recent post game presser with KLS and the way she and almost all of the players learn to speak about we and not "I" says so very much.

I look at these issues and just wish that I had or allowed mentors in my life years ago who drilled these messages into me. I even recently struggled with and wasn't proud of how I handled some things in my passion for my charitable work.

So in summary for me I wish the young lady well, she didn't fit here well and hopefully she makes the right decision for herself as to her next stop and to improve and maximize her full capabilities.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
If I'm being honest, AEH's decisions make little sense to me. First she commits to UConn (far earlier than wise) and then continues to honor that commitment even though two higher ranked players would be coming in with her (Walker & Coombs). In addition, the #1 ranked team only losses one starter, and has two highly ranked redshirts (Stevens & Camara) becoming eligible. And, there is also Dangerfield to contend with and perhaps Irwin and Bent as well.

How could she have possibly thought significant playing time would be available until at least her junior year? Ridiculous!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
He was her high school coach at Ossining. Obviously, the two keep in close contact.
He was also Saniya coach and is coaching Aubrey Griffin. Aubrey has already "unofficially" visited UCONN.

Reaction Score
And there's a school located in northern Indiana that plays USC annually in the "longest inter-sectional football rivalry in D1 football" to take the words straight out of our sports promo department. :rolleyes:

Granted, I'm a bit on the older side (compared to millennials), but growing up on northern Long Island, USC was John McKay, OJ, Pat Haden, student body left or right, the "dance" girls and that fight song (we Irish fans have long aural memories). ;)

Subsequent business trips to North Carolina, southern Va., Georgia, etc. have gotten the USC applied to the Gamecocks, but that's how I think of them: as the Gamecocks or South Carolina.

Isn't that Longuyland? Visits to North Beach, Terryville (L.I) --to wife's relatives would indicate that's it.
Working with paramedic groups from Green--pernt (Greenpoint) to Montuk pt (sP) That seemed common usage.

Reaction Score
Louisville roster is at 12 right now and graduates Allen this year. With 3 Freshmen coming in in 2018 that would leave room for one more scholarship.
Louisville Athletics - 2017-18 Women's Basketball Roster
Isn't the NCAA max number 15 for the roster? If that is correct, 12 minus 1 plus three leaves room for AEH this spring?? Since I'm only a side line viewer, I'm asking for your expertise--is that true, or am I, as usual, missing something?? Sorry Coco--reading seems isn't fundamental for me---(edit)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Isn't the NCAA max number 15 for the roster? If that is correct, 12 minus 1 plus three leaves room for AEH this spring?? Since I'm only a side line viewer, I'm asking for your expertise--is that true, or am I, as usual, missing something??
You got it right and exactly what I was trying to say.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
IMO she has included MSU in her list just to throw salt into the wound. Aren't they losing about 4 starters from this year's team next season? If so, I would think that this is their season, with no future season on the horizon?

Reaction Score
I would love to see AEH develop at Duke. They do not have a guard development program as fabulous as Tennessee's. Still it is good enough for me to give her a big tip when she waits at my table.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO she has included MSU in her list just to throw salt into the wound. Aren't they losing about 4 starters from this year's team next season? If so, I would think that this is their season, with no future season on the horizon?
MSU was a " curious" school on the list but that salt throwing theory is a little way out there. By the time AEH is eligible to play again (fall of 2019) there will be at most 5 players on the current MSU roster with eligibility remaining. None of the 5 are currently in the regular MSU rotation.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A couple of observations on the comments and my general view: The fact AEH has left the program does not have to be bifurcated or black/white. The concern is considerable time and effort went into recruiting a player, getting them and then seeing them leave without any tangible benefit to either party. That is a waste for both her and the program. It happens and the more it happens, the more it affects the program. I am not saying "doom and gloom" just stating the facts.

Now, that said, those in power should always and I repeat always, take the high road on the departing. For all the bashing that Holly takes here, she did a really great job on Cooper's dismissal. She wouldn't even call it a dismissal. Did she/Tenn do anything behind the scenes to block Cooper playing this year? That is an unknown but at least all comments were respectful at the time.

Geno is the preeminent coach of the sport and I know criticism his way is not well received by this group. No one is perfect, with some of us having more flaws than others and at times brutal honesty, while intended to help, needs to be kept private. That is the case here. There are back channels that could handle the "real reasons" if the reasons must come out but for the most part, these are young women still figuring out who they are, what they want and how to get there. This is new to them, it is not new to Geno and staff. Be gracious and move on.

A couple of days ago I posted a thread about a former UConn Assistant Swim Coach who became a HC and was removed from two subsequent positions due to abusive behavior (one instance, her 3 year contract was not renewed due to numerous issues that occurred, including 3 investigations and the other she was outright dismissed in the 1st year). This was abuse and I saw it first hand. What Geno did was not personal attacks, did not harm the student's potential in the sport (as evidenced by the schools AEH says she is looking at) and was not abusive in language towards the athlete nor created issues of physical harm. He just needs realize he's the adult in the room and not be so forthright with details as everyone makes mistakes or errors in judgement.

We often cite his success as proof we should not question his motives and in most situations that is logical. However there are times when anyone, no matter how successful can benefit from self-reflection and modifications of behavior. Yes, I still hold Mr. Auriemma in the highest regards and think he can/is a lightning rod for too much criticism/scrutiny. This situation is unfortunate and while not "troubling" could and should have been avoided.

Respectfully submitted-DefenseBB

Reaction Score
If I'm being honest, AEH's decisions make little sense to me. First she commits to UConn (far earlier than wise) and then continues to honor that commitment even though two higher ranked players would be coming in with her (Walker & Coombs). In addition, the #1 ranked team only losses one starter, and has two highly ranked redshirts (Stevens & Camara) becoming eligible. And, there is also Dangerfield to contend with and perhaps Irwin and Bent as well.

How could she have possibly thought significant playing time would be available until at least her junior year? Ridiculous!

Freshmen are not required to make sense. Whether she left by her own decision or Geno's--has much to do with why she departed. So don't try to make sense out of a decision she may not have made. If the decision is Geno's it becomes too personal.
I liked every thing I SAW about AEH, I had great expectations for her future. I don't worry about the in coming highly recruited newbies---we've seen too many that didn't pan out. Most Uconn kids arrive with some level of fan fare--initially it's near impossible to predict their futures, except Walker and players of her caliber.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A couple of observations on the comments and my general view: The fact AEH has left the program does not have to be bifurcated or black/white. The concern is considerable time and effort went into recruiting a player, getting them and then seeing them leave without any tangible benefit to either party. That is a waste for both her and the program. It happens and the more it happens, the more it affects the program. I am not saying "doom and gloom" just stating the facts.

Now, that said, those in power should always and I repeat always, take the high road on the departing. For all the bashing that Holly takes here, she did a really great job on Cooper's dismissal. She wouldn't even call it a dismissal. Did she/Tenn do anything behind the scenes to block Cooper playing this year? That is an unknown but at least all comments were respectful at the time.

Geno is the preeminent coach of the sport and I know criticism his way is not well received by this group. No one is perfect, with some of us having more flaws than others and at times brutal honesty, while intended to help, needs to be kept private. That is the case here. There are back channels that could handle the "real reasons" if the reasons must come out but for the most part, these are young women still figuring out who they are, what they want and how to get there. This is new to them, it is not new to Geno and staff. Be gracious and move on.

A couple of days ago I posted a thread about a former UConn Assistant Swim Coach who became a HC and was removed from two subsequent positions due to abusive behavior (one instance, her 3 year contract was not renewed due to numerous issues that occurred, including 3 investigations and the other she was outright dismissed in the 1st year). This was abuse and I saw it first hand. What Geno did was not personal attacks, did not harm the student's potential in the sport (as evidenced by the schools AEH says she is looking at) and was not abusive in language towards the athlete nor created issues of physical harm. He just needs realize he's the adult in the room and not be so forthright with details as everyone makes mistakes or errors in judgement.

We often cite his success as proof we should not question his motives and in most situations that is logical. However there are times when anyone, no matter how successful can benefit from self-reflection and modifications of behavior. Yes, I still hold Mr. Auriemma in the highest regards and think he can/is a lightning rod for too much criticism/scrutiny. This situation is unfortunate and while not "troubling" could and should have been avoided.

Geno’s comments about AEH weren’t made in an official announcement or at a press conference. They were made at an unofficial event where his comments are generally not disseminated to the public. It was his misfortune that Boneyarders attended that particular event.

The criticism of Geno here is unfair - the Boneyard was the one that broadcast the news and now the Boneyard is blaming Geno for it

Reaction Score

Good stuff again: I particularly liked paragraphs 2 , 3 and 5. Mostly because HUMAN's act as HUMANs not matter how high a pedestal we thrust upon them. Also, those in charge I expect to take the high road when entrusted with my kids. I too believe attract pointed words, some not warranted.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My take, similar to yours, is those who never were-----never was. Unfortunately at this point AEH is a never was, it's hard to really miss what you ve never had.
I thought AEH may have been a bonus and from the tiny minutes I saw her I thought she had GAME , played some D, and had no fear. /She'll in my opinion shall be an asset to whomever may get her, Walz worked with Angel with success...

The only thing that comes out of AEH leaving the program at Geno's insistence is that UConn no longer has this freshman recruit on the roster; a recruit we knew little about. When her not being with the team made her departure seem a certainty I said my only desire was that we wouldn't be following her around with threads for the next 4 or 5 years. If we don't have better things to talk about here, then it's time to pack it in. There are all sorts of web hosting companies that will give you your own little web site and you AEH devotees can get a fan site going. But for me AEH is not a happy memory and I'd just as soon wish her well and forget about her.

It does not mean that I wish ill for AEH, just she no longer falls within the perimeter of my Huskies addiction and her departure is at best a shared failure. There is part of me that finds AEH's departure reassuring as, in my perverse nature, it speaks to Geno being as exacting and fearless as ever in pursuing excellence in the program and protecting it from anything which would dilute program goals.

Reaction Score
Geno’s comments about AEH weren’t made in an official announcement or at a press conference. They were made at an unofficial event where his comments are generally not disseminated to the public. It was his misfortune that Boneyarders attended that particular event.

The criticism of Geno here is unfair - the Boneyard was the one that broadcast the news and now the Boneyard is blaming Geno for it

Geno is a public Wow is he a public figure, larger than life and too often willing to say whats better not said.
The forum in which it stated those word reported was, reported too be, among Philly fans. In today's world ALL people of NOTE are aware of the potential of those words being wide spread. The onus is on Geno to protect words not to be published. The only way for his words to not be publish is for him not to say them.
The Boneyard fans, critics, haters, are not responsible for his words, regardless of how they were obtained the owner ship of those words remain with GENO .

If that is unfair--blame the world--the world is unfair---destroy cell phones, stop speaking in forum of fans, or use guarded speech. Most public figures, Geno is one, knows the potential of their words being spread. Is it unfair to accurately report the actual words Geno spoke---regardless of where they were spoken??

Reaction Score
The only thing that comes out of AEH leaving the program at Geno's insistence is that UConn no longer has this freshman recruit on the roster; a recruit we knew little about. When her not being with the team made her departure seem a certainty I said my only desire was that we wouldn't be following her around with threads for the next 4 or 5 years. If we don't have better things to talk about here, then it's time to pack it in. There are all sorts of web hosting companies that will give you your own little web site and you AEH devotees can get a fan site going. But for me AEH is not a happy memory and I'd just as soon wish her well and forget about her.

It does not mean that I wish ill for AEH, just she no longer falls within the perimeter of my Huskies addiction and her departure is at best a shared failure. There is part of me that finds AEH's departure reassuring as, in my perverse nature, it speaks to Geno being as exacting and fearless as ever in pursuing excellence in the program and protecting it from anything which would dilute program goals.

Look around at those departed--some very much liked---Butler is a true exceptions--most once gone a blib or two may be seen then gone again. Rarely are Uconn WBB fans interested in those who departed or in AEH's case, like EED's case---a never was a Uconn WBB player (REALLY).

You, me and a dozen others are dragging this on longer than it deserves--I admit my guilt in this.
Yea, I had hopes for her--now both are gone.

Reaction Score
According to Auriemma - no loss. I agree.
That would not make sense. Why would he recruit and offer to a player that would not have potential to be of benefit. Maybe he meant that she has not yet had an impact to lose.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Isn't that Longuyland? Visits to North Beach, Terryville (L.I) --to wife's relatives would indicate that's it.
Working with paramedic groups from Green--pernt (Greenpoint) to Montuk pt (sP) That seemed common usage.

Not in my household and neck of the woods at that particular time. When I grew up, eastern Long Island was still a cluster of towns and/or villages set among truck farms and expanses of oak forests, and the LIE was not even all the way out towards Riverhead. Many north shore towns had more in common with southern New England in the way they were designed and the radio stations people listened to. So I didn't hear too much of the "what exit?" stuff until I was pretty much away at college and the large Suffolk-development was underway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22