Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Beside some skill limitations (and injury implications for Saniya) early in their respective careers, both also had issues in confidence / attitude:

1) Kiah Stokes never really wanted to become a dominant offensive figure imho. More than most, she seemed happy filling the defensive niche that was definitely valuable but kept her from being the dominant alpha inside on the offensive end.

2) Saniya had issues with confidence and consistency that she herself would state in interviews. She just kept having self doubts all the time. Finally, by senior year, she got over the hurdle and the rest is history.

Bottom line. You show you can handle it, you will find the opportunities.

Kinda like Megan is now. :cool:

Reaction Score
Interesting.

Coombs has not played SG at UConn primarily because she's not a good shooter. In her limited minutes at UConn Coombs has mostly played PG.

I see Walker as more of a 3/4 than a SG at UConn. At least that's how Geno has used her to date. I do not see Megan Walker as a SG at the collegiate level.

I don't know how to label AEH. She's not a particularly good ball-handler which is important for a SG. Her game is to set up beyond the arc and launch.
If Geno continues to use Walker as a SF, why are some insisting she is a SG? I totally agree with your other assessments as well.

Reaction Score
The distinction that some are trying to make is that Geno in his official capacity at head coach made a statement about AEH's transfer.
“I have enjoyed getting to know Andy and her family,” Head coach Geno Auriemma said. “Everyone at UConn wishes Andy all the best as she continues her college career elsewhere.”
UConn Women’s Basketball Freshman Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Transfer

The statements made at the gathering more reflected Geno "private thoughts" (my words) on the matter therefore not intended for public or BY consumption.
There was truth in both statements, I don't agree with the distinction that some are trying to make and also believe the first statement was more than sufficient to get closure on the matter.
Why did he say it in public then?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe there is something wrong with the Pac 10 then, because each of the other P5 seem to be doing just fine with the 2014 class.
Conference POY from the 2014 class.
A'Ja Wilson-SEC
Hines-Allen-ACC
Brooke McCarthy- Big 12
Kelsey Mitchell-Big 10.

You're cherry picking. Look at the entire top 100. See how many of those players you think have been impactful. In particular look at the top 20 and top 40 and make note of how many of those players have not had noteworthy careers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You're cherry picking. Look at the entire top 100. See how many of those players you think have been impactful. In particular look at the top 20 and top 40 and make note of how many of those players have not had noteworthy careers.
Of course I'm cherry picking but so are you. Difference is you are looking at the failures (which you can find in any class BTW) and I looking for marks of distinction.
Name another class that has had a POY in 4 of the P5 conferences BEFORE THAT CLASS' SENIOR SEASON? Not to mention a National Defensive Player of the year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see AEH as a match for the slow Mississippi lifestyle but she'll get playing time under good coach

Reaction Score
Why did he say it in public then?
Geno said just about the same thing about Sadie Edwards when she left. "Have enjoyed getting to know Sadie and her family. I wish her the best"

Reaction Score
It’s The UConn Effect. Some kids rise in the ranking when it’s known they’re going to UConn.

Jessica Moore was unranked before she committed to UConn and top 30 after.

Not just UConn. Kylee Shook was unranked (top 60) Hoopgurlz when she chose L'ville. Next week she was 46. Went from 46 to 18 in a couple months. I thought Shook would be a little further along right now. Her ball skills are undeveloped for a top 20 player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brianna Turner (#2 in Hoopgurlz, #5 in Prospects Nation) hasn't had too shabby a career either, including two-time ACC Defensive Player of the Year, ACC Rookie of the Year (2015) and 2016 ACC Player of the Year (Coaches) .

And while Kathryn Westbeld has not won the kind of accolades her classmate, she's been a starter for most of the last three years and been the Irish "glue player" according to her head coach, Muffet McGraw. In fact, she just came off a career high 21 points and 12 rebounds at FSU.

So the Irish have done pretty well with their 2014 class, as well.

Brianna Turner Bio :: Notre Dame Women's Basketball :: UND.COM :: The Official Site of ND Athletics
Kathryn Westbeld played the worst game I've ever seen anyone play verse L'ville's Hines-Allen in 4 years. Westbeld was brutal defensively. Then she goes out and has a great game verse Fl State and Hines-Allen is given fits by Chatrice White. Match ups.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was a certain poster here, @wallman , who predicted Ekmark would struggle at UConn and that Osahor was the best player on her high school team.

I wonder if Geno has the talk with a player like Ekmark or the players arrive at their own conclusion. Just looking at her play this year I would not see her as a #28 player. That 2014 class I would always get Gabby Green and Gabby Williams mixed up. Cal not cashing in on Gabby Green #11 and #12 Cowlings really set them back. Green was so low intensity and transferred and Cowlings is kind of just out there. What a value Nurse #33 and Williams #15? turned out to be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Possible, it would have been a tall order though. That class was loaded with athletic wings that not only made a name for them selves in HS ball but quite a few were also ripping it up in AAU ball ( Gabby Green, Miraya Moore, Jamie Nared, Shakayla Thomas, Myisha Hines-Allen Mikayla Cowling, Sierra Calhoun, & Gabby Williams). Shoot, even A'ja wilson considered herself a Wing-until reality set in. To be fair, Courtney in HS could shoot better than all of them and her BB IQ would be among the best, athletically she was a step or two behind just about all these players.

A step or two? I finally got the chance to see her play several games at Az State and she is more than a step or two behind. Hope she does well but more than that I hope she just makes it through the year without injury. She looks very frail.

Reaction Score
A. No, he didn't. Coombs is a 1, AEH is a 2, Gordon is a 2/3, and Walker is a 3. Completely different positions and skill sets.
B. As well as the entire UConn team and coaches
C. True
D. Might be right on where she lands but I don't see her as that type of player. She will be a solid player IMHO but not a star.
E. That's fine. Her loss not UConn's. She hasn't been anywhere close to the same player since her injury. Only time will tell whether her athleticism returns. There are also at least 5 other players UConn is recruiting in the class of 2019 that I want before her.
F. True, but besides EDD, that left for family reasons, how many of them have gone on to be stars at their next school?

Regarding "F" above. I wondered the same thing about how many UConn transfers have gone on to be stars on other teams? Lets add that transferred to Power 5.
I can't think of anyone besides EDD either. You can't call Edwards a star. I looked at this a few years ago and UConn had someone transfer to BC and she wasn't close to a star. What is Boykins doing?

Reaction Score
Wow. That Hoopgurlz 2014 rankings list is pretty bad in retrospect. A few vastly underrated players, but more players that were overrated and didn't amount to much. Some superstars sprinkled in there, but not much depth.

I won't bore everybody w/ what I found w/ some researching, but overall that was a horrible class for the Pac 12! Many top 20 players that didn't develop much, some ended up transferring out. A few lower down the list medically retired or also transferred out, without accomplishing much before they left. Pretty much only Canada, Billings, McPhee and Simon panned out with the team they originally signed w/. A couple others stuck around and ended up being role players, didn't come anywhere close to living up to their ranking. The conference did get a bit of a bonus w/ several players that transferred in and became contributors. Still, overall the class of '14 was mostly a bust for the conference.

edited--of course Marie Gulich, coming from Germany, is not on this list. Not sure she would've been considered top 100 even if she was in the US in HS, but she has developed into a tremendous post player

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Hines Allen was red hot her soph year and so so her junior year due to lousy team chemistry and the emergence of Asia Durr. Mariya Moore was a good player her frosh year and peaked real early and slid her junior year. Will be interesting to see how Mariya Moore does at USC. She can pass but she slows th game down and has trouble with a fast team.
Prior to this year, L'ville was ugly basketball from 2014-2016. They won but I wouldn't pay to see them. This year they are entertaining. Jasmine Jones and Arica Carter have developed but haven't developed enough yet to put a scare in UConn. L'ville doesn't have enough weapons to hurt UConn.
UConn by 18 or more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member