And the 9 games for 2020 so far are... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

And the 9 games for 2020 so far are...

Reaction Score
If UConn turns things around ,and are no longer an automatic FBS win, do P5 schools become harder to schedule?
Sometimes, challenges can be likable in most interesting ways. As you and many others are likely hoping, may UConn create such favorable obstacles and positive rewards ...

Reaction Score
Don't know the answer to this. Just playing devil's advocate. If UConn turns things around ,and are no longer an automatic FBS win, do P5 schools become harder to schedule?

I don't think so. There's enough teams out there that all have different needs, teams that might back off because we aren't an automatic win anymore will be replaced by teams that are looking for a decent ooc game

Reaction Score

>>The dates: UMass (Sept. 3); at Illinois (Sept. 12); at Virginia (Sept. 19) Indiana (Sept. 26); Maine (Oct. 10) at Mississippi (Oct. 24); Liberty (Oct. 31); at San Jose State (Nov. 14); Army (Nov. 28). Benedict confirmed the dates of the Virginia and Maine games Thursday afternoon on ESPN-FM97.9; the other seven dates were announced in the release.

Benedict also said he was working on a future deal that would have UConn playing a basketball game on a Friday and a football game the next day in New York in a discussion that referenced Madison Square Garden and Yankee Stadium. UConn played Army at Yankee Stadium in 2014.<<

Reaction Score
Is anyone broadcasting these games? If so, how much are we going to get paid?

From the posted Mike Anthony story:

>>UConn couldn’t do much of anything until opponents were lined up. Any interested TV outlets, if there are to be any, need to see what the product is gauge what it’s worth. As much as Edsall does not want to publicly discuss next year’s schedule, he needs to be able to tell recruits what is ahead.

Where is the TV process now, by the way?

“It's ongoing,” Benedict said. “Can we easily put together a digital deal? Yeah. Now, we want to put together something that’s better than a straight digital deal and I think we'll be able to do that over time.”

Realistic expectation for timing of a TV deal?

“You would have to probably have something in place by the end of this calendar year, when you're talking about TV,” Benedict said. “Digital is different because digital, the inventory is endless.” Digital is exactly what UConn was looking to avoid in the first place. The AAC’s new TV contract, one of the reasons it was so intent on leaving the conference, would have pushed many UConn games onto ESPN-Plus.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
From the posted Mike Anthony story:

>> “It's ongoing,” Benedict said. “Can we easily put together a digital deal? Yeah. Now, we want to put together something that’s better than a straight digital deal and I think we'll be able to do that over time.”

Realistic expectation for timing of a TV deal?

“You would have to probably have something in place by the end of this calendar year, when you're talking about TV,” Benedict said. “Digital is different because digital, the inventory is endless.” Digital is exactly what UConn was looking to avoid in the first place. The AAC’s new TV contract, one of the reasons it was so intent on leaving the conference, would have pushed many UConn games onto ESPN-Plus.<<

Over time? Translation, we will be forced to sign a short term deal with SNY for a couple years and then reevaluate after that for both parties.

As for Mike Anthony's comment on being trapped behind the digital pay wall, that was more to do with our BB properties, particularly WBB than any other product. WBB would have moved the needle for ESPN+ will giving UConn a total goose egg.

Reaction Score
Edsall needs to be able to sell bowl games with a winning record if he expects to up the recruiting. What bowl games are possible for an independent UConn with say a 7-5 or 8-4 record? And... in the future a UConn team going 10-2 or 11-1 or if I may dream an undefeated season? What kind of bowl game is realistic then?

Reaction Score
Edsall needs to be able to sell bowl games with a winning record if he expects to up the recruiting. What bowl games are possible for an independent UConn with say a 7-5 or 8-4 record? And... in the future a UConn team going 10-2 or 11-1 or if I may dream an undefeated season? What kind of bowl game is realistic then?
I think Southern kids passed over by the large schools would get more excited to play @Clemson for example than the International Bowl vs Buffalo.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I think Southern kids passed over by the large schools would get more excited to play @Clemson for example than the International Bowl vs Buffalo.

I agree completely. Bowl games are not what they once used to be. Market the games we can get and the opportunities to play at the next level once we get moving forward again.

Reaction Score
1. I am glad that DB has (almost apparently) put a schedule together for 2020. That was not going to be easy and he gets credit for it.

2. Having said that, I think much of this is way over the top in terms of what this means for the future. I haven't yet seen a single P5 team coming to the Rent. So can we go to P5 teams without big paydays on runoffs, and then get FCS and crap G5 teams to come to the Rent? Sure we can do that. Will it pay the bills? Probably not. As I've said before, I hope this works and I prove to be wrong but you guys are just tinkling on my boots and telling me it's raining. Unless we can get teams good enough to sell more tockets than the AAC to come here, the scheduling is not a success. And that doesn't even get to whether recruiting gets harder without a conference.

Disagree

We are gonna do better than AAC. Getting Army. One of the 7 is ACC. And SMU Tulsa Houston just doesn’t make my heartbeat fast. I’m enthused. Because the dead 2020 ... turns into an opportunist Dave Benedict cutting deals. You think we get no P5 at Rentschler ... I feel your wrong

The kids are all right

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DB did well considering the circumstances. The road games look good. But the home games are a bit ugly for now: UMass, Indiana, Liberty, Army, Maine, MTSU, TBD

In the short run the majority of those games are at least winnable while we try to get back to being a competent FBS team again. We'll get better draws to the Rent in future years.

Reaction Score
The unbalanced schedules in the ACC caused by ND will be a significant source of H/H opportunities going forward.

What unbalanced schedules? Each ACC team plays eight conference games and four out of conference. For, I believe six teams each year one of those OOC games is Norte Dame.

Reaction Score
Nice schedule so far.
Let’s see us start attracting some decent coaches and some recruits with more than just FCS offers.

program is still on life support.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What unbalanced schedules? Each ACC team plays eight conference games and four out of conference. For, I believe six teams each year one of those OOC games is Norte Dame.

Playing ND means for those weeks one ACC team is forced into a bye or an OOC game in Oct or Nov. It's an open date that is a opportunity for UConn to get a game not in Sept when other schools are playing conference games.

Reaction Score
>>The dates: UMass (Sept. 3); at Illinois (Sept. 12); at Virginia (Sept. 19) Indiana (Sept. 26); Maine (Oct. 10) at Mississippi (Oct. 24); Liberty (Oct. 31); at San Jose State (Nov. 14); Army (Nov. 28). Benedict confirmed the dates of the Virginia and Maine games Thursday afternoon on ESPN-FM97.9; the other seven dates were announced in the release.

Benedict also said he was working on a future deal that would have UConn playing a basketball game on a Friday and a football game the next day in New York in a discussion that referenced Madison Square Garden and Yankee Stadium. UConn played Army at Yankee Stadium in 2014.<<

Would be pretty damn cool if they could ever pull that leprechaun out of a hat

Reaction Score
Nice schedule and job well done. I just wish he would have clearly communicated his agenda instead of defeating silence. This is much more encouraging than anticipated. Give credit where credit is due.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom