Analyzing Which Schools Could End Up Joining the ACC? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Analyzing Which Schools Could End Up Joining the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
"Key" to the Alliance? I would not say they are "Key" - more like part of the solution. Just like Tulsa is not "Key" to the AAC. There are back-ups / options, like ODU in place of JMU. Having 8 programs facilitates scheduling and a TV package. More important is the small footprint / independent approach.

The fact that you think they are even a small part of the solution tells me everything I need to know. You clearly haven't been following the tv money thing for more than a week...

Reaction Score
The fact that you think they are even a small part of the solution tells me everything I need to know. You clearly haven't been following the tv money thing for more than a week...
I don't think you have earned the high horse yet. Save the condescension for when you actually have the P5 invite, or a G5 contract for football worth more than $5M a year. Until then, there is more TV money in Big East basketball than AAC football.

Your current model isn't very good. That is why some of us consider alternatives. UConn to the Big East isn't P5, but it is better than status quo.

Reaction Score
Do you think any of us can make the decision to move to the Big East or are in favor of it?
Give this conversation a rest and move on man.

Reaction Score
Better than holding up Memphis as the conference Gold Standard, I'd note UConn has a title for the conference, Larry Brown put SMU basketball back on the map and they continued to be strong last year without him, Cincy is generally good in both hoops and football, and while Houston has been very good in football, they have also surged in hoops.

If by surging you mean Houston's last NCAA tournament win was in 1984...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't think you have earned the high horse yet. Save the condescension for when you actually have the P5 invite, or a G5 contract for football worth more than $5M a year. Until then, there is more TV money in Big East basketball than AAC football.

Your current model isn't very good. That is why some of us consider alternatives. UConn to the Big East isn't P5, but it is better than status quo.

You can "consider" all you like. But where are your numbers?? Where is any relevant speck of data that would suggest that Delaware and JMU would help land a better tv contract?? Do you understand now?

My problem is not being on a high horse against other universities, nor is it being on a high horse against you for trying to make suggestions. My problem is that you've made a suggestion so outlandish as to cause migraines. I don't know how else to say it, other than to say that it's really really really dumb...

Reaction Score
If by surging you mean Houston's last NCAA tournament win was in 1984...
No, I meant that for a football school, it was noteworthy that last season they had 21 wins and finished ahead of UConn in conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You seem to think that that justifies your very bad idea. It doesn't.

Reaction Score
I don't know how else to say it, other than to say that it's really really really dumb...

Well, I didn't arrange the talks between the Big East and UConn, nor was I the one that reported on them. UConn is obviously not satisfied with a $2M TV contract in a Frankenstein conference. So if it's dumb to consider an alternative, it might not be any worse than traveling to Tulsa and Tulane for all of you sports, Rev and non-Rev.

What's your solution for UConn?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well, I didn't arrange the talks between the Big East and UConn, nor was I the one that reported on them. UConn is obviously not satisfied with a $2M TV contract in a Frankenstein conference. So if it's dumb to consider an alternative, it might not be any worse than traveling to Tulsa and Tulane for all of you sports, Rev and non-Rev.

What's your solution for UConn?

Again, you seem to have a reading comprehension issue. It is not dumb to consider an alternative. It is dumb to consider the alternative as being JMU and Delaware. I can't say it any clearer than that.

As for my solution; I don't have a good one. But then again, that's why I don't advertise that I have a good one. I don't look at my empty gas tank on my car with the belief that I can fill it with any old liquid, just because that will make the meter say "full". The goal is for the car to work...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What's your solution for UConn's alignment?
KETO-1323-AugustPartsServiceSpecials-4WheelAlign.jpg

Reaction Score
As for my solution; I don't have a good one.

Well, put it this way, you could double your current TV money on basketball alone by joining the Big East.

If you don't believe UConn Football has any value as an independent, that is truly an unknown and maybe your right. I bet it does.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well, put it this way, you could double your current TV money on basketball alone by joining the Big East.

If you don't believe UConn Football has any value as an independent, that is truly an unknown and maybe your right. I bet it does.

Oh God. The "Football as an Independent" concept.

I thought perhaps you had been at this type of analysis for about a week or so. I now realize that it must be much less than that...

Reaction Score
Guys, I beg you: please stop feeding this troll. The board is becoming insufferable.
Sorry, I didn't realize he was trolling. I should have guessed.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Guys, I beg you: please stop feeding this troll. The board is becoming insufferable.

True wisdom.

I'll stop commenting on the thread. The UConn fans are already well versed in the money situation, the independence situation, the tv contract situation. I'm not typing for anyone's benefit here, other than to feed a troll. Time to just let it go...

Reaction Score
It is pretty clear what the real options are:

....receive a P5 invite
....make the best of it in the AAC...

The AAC's main option is to improve and maybe get people talking about there being a budding P6.

Reaction Score
The Alliance – 2016-17 Sagarin
JMU: #33
Temple: #43
Navy: #61
Army: #87
Nova: #106
Cincinnati: #117
UConn: #154
Delaware: #181

Of course, the FCS schools are ranked head to head against the FBS schools without any curve for fewer resources. They have not had the benefit of being in a former BCS structure or a current G5. They would likely improve with the resources. And we would expect Cincy and UConn to bounce back from their current levels.

Reaction Score
Sagarin?

So James Madison is #33.....meanwhile Georgia is #38....Notre Dame is #51... Texas at #60....But what exactly does that mean in their desirability for an addition? JMU is comparable to those listed above?

Because they had a good year in 2016 against a bad schedule?......(they did go 14-1...but with a schedule ranked #152 in toughness.) They didn't play a single top 30 team...and maybe not a top 50.

Sagarin Ratings previous years...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sagarin?

So James Madison is #33.....meanwhile Georgia is #38....Notre Dame is #51... Texas at #60....But what exactly does that mean in their desirability for an addition? JMU is comparable to those listed above?

Oh! Give me JMU..please!

Because they had a good year in 2016...

Sagarin Ratings previous years...

lol, so for the last 6 consecutive years JMU's Sagarin is higher than UConn's last year! JMU has 2 National Championships. For all of the years that UConn played in FCS, they had no title game appearances. JMU ain't no ND, UT, or Georgia, but neither is UConn.

UConn is a desirable program imho. It has emerged from the 1990s from an FCS football program and an also ran basketball program, to a G5 also ran football program and a basketball powerhouse. For that success, including the very modest success in football, some UConn fans are pretty condescending.

UConn is a nice program, but you are no Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
lol, so for the last 6 consecutive years JMU's Sagarin is higher than UConn's last year! JMU has 2 National Championships. For all of the years that UConn played in FCS, they had no title game appearances. JMU ain't no ND, UT, or Georgia, but neither is UConn.

UConn is a desirable program imho. It has emerged from the 1990s from an FCS football program and an also ran basketball program, to a G5 also ran football program and a basketball powerhouse. For that success, including the very modest success in football, some UConn fans are pretty condescending.

UConn is a nice program, but you are no Notre Dame.

Zissou...in full disclosure...the rest of this board knows that I am an FSU guy who is interested in CR.....and while not a basketball fan nor particularly a UConn lover, I think that they and Cincy are the last two P5 looking teams in the East.

Reaction Score
The difference between UConn and JMU is that UConn has had elite basketball....and also IMHO has more potential in football.

Folks down here (I am in my North Carolina mountain place) would laugh at any comparison between JMU and UConn....

Tarheels, Dukies...they all respect UConn's program...as do all ACC basketball programs.

Reaction Score
The difference between UConn and JMU is that UConn has had elite basketball....and also IMHO has more potential in football.

Folks down here (I am in my North Carolina mountain place) would laugh at any comparison between JMU and UConn....

Tarheels, Dukies...they all respect UConn's program...as do all ACC basketball programs.

Elite basketball no doubt, that's why I used the term powerhouse. Football, not so much as I stated. You don't think basketball drives P5 CR, do you?

Full disclosure, I am a Nova fan that would love to see UConn and its elite basketball in the Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom