An Experiment Failed... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

An Experiment Failed...

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Not sure, but it seems we are seeing several of these types of posts. New member posts a fairly opinionated piece with a critical bent towards Geno and playing time for reserves or injuries. Then complains of the unfair treatment and how mean the boneyard is.

Same person posting from different accounts? Maybe someone with a grudge?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
New member posts a fairly opinionated piece with a critical bent towards Geno and playing time for reserves or injuries.

To be fair there are some UConn fans and longer tenured posters saying the same things. But I understand it's not the best way to introduce yourself to the board as a new poster. Also the idea that UConn fans can criticize their coach/team, but other fans cannot.

Reaction Score
To be fair there are some UConn fans and longer tenured posters saying the same things. But I understand it's not the best way to introduce yourself to the board as a new poster. Also the idea that UConn fans can criticize their coach/team, but other fans cannot.
Isn't that in the "Boneyard Rules" pinned at the top of the board?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

I don't have an issue with what they say - I may disagree with some of it, but am ok with them posting it. I just get the feeling that there is some trolling going on here. Of course I may just be paranoid.

1920.jpg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That is a lovely suit Rocket! Might not be able to get thru airport security wearing it though.

Reaction Score
Of course, the OP now has (if didn't have it before) a strong case of confirmation bias. Set him/herself up, got the reaction, declared the offense, and received negative feedback. Can go on in life assured of being right.

I did the same thing several years ago on a different board (different interest) and later realized that the only person who lost out was me.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A few things surprised me here.

1) That someone, without being personally attacked or derided would respond by sounding almost shocked when being disagreed with.

2) That this someone would not bother to further explain or clearly refine his thoughts when disagreed with.

3) Would define contrary opinions as offensive.

4) Would ignore that fact that quite a few agreed with some if not all of his points.

5) Would feel insulted and then turn his back on a forum which is ostensibly for and about opinions.

I'm kind of left scratching my head.

Reaction Score
I don't remember this poster's comments but I have to say there is a degree of arrogance and disdain from certain members of the BY..instead of simply addressing differences in a factual, mature manner, I have noted agitation and insults from certain members..I know that I have read some wacky, wrongheaded posts here but I have never resorted to insulting the poster's intelligence or lack of basketball IQ even if I assume they lack both....for the most part the BY is a pleasant and welcoming place but if you state an opinion that differs from the majority you can expect quite a barrage......we're all lucky enough to root for the classiest and most sophisticated team in college basketball.....I would suggest that we all try to emulate those qualities here....

Charlie---First I don't understand why you selected ME as your example.\
Secondly: There is arrogance about Uconn's abilities and successes. Admit it.
Thursly: Your last sentence is an Amen type
Fortly: I posted similar messages on the Vol thing---yet I appear here tattered and bleeding to speak of the wonders of the Vols.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Fortly: I posted similar messages on the Vol thing---yet I appear here tattered and bleeding to speak of the wonders of the Vols.
I thought he was speaking about me. Now I see it's sort of a JordyVa, BroadwayG kind of thing.

Reaction Score
I took a shot a joining the Boneyard with the idea in mind that there would be room for another individuals opinions and ideas. Yesterday I posted some replies in the thread:
Louisville beating UConn aint in the CARDS

A number of responses to my thoughts on the Uconn women and Geno had a tone of arrogance and self-righteousness suggesting that my comments were illogical, un-sound, and that I was incapable of knowing the definitions of words in the English language. Nothing in anything I wrote in my commentaries was demagoguery or condescending. My thoughts on the program were just an opinion. I am a avid supporter of Geno and his team. I was born and raised in Connecticut. I do not profess to being an expert on basketball, but at 70 years of age, maybe I have been able to pick up some knowledge, along the way, that others on this board have not.

There is a systemic level of intolerance in our society today and a lack of respect for the opinions of others. You see it everywhere. I thought that might not be the case here. I was wrong. That is sad.
\
If you go back to the Highlighted thread above--and re-read your FACTS--you may find there are strong assertions with which most cannot agree. I have posted NEARLy all you posted in that thread, some agree some disagree. But please look at those that agree with this posting and the previous posting--some very highly respected on the By (and me) "liked" you--how can that be anything but great for a new member. Stay with it. You are not as lonely as you may think.

Reaction Score

Sorry about that Broadway....................you're just such an easy target for my brilliant wit......................:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
A few things surprised me here.

1) That someone, without being personally attacked or derided would respond by sounding almost shocked when being disagreed with.

2) That this someone would not bother to further explain or clearly refine his thoughts when disagreed with.

3) Would define contrary opinions as offensive.

4) Would ignore that fact that quite a few agreed with some if not all of his points.

5) Would feel insulted and then turn his back on a forum which is ostensibly for and about opinions.

I'm kind of left scratching my head.
I had exactly the same reactions to the original post. Thought the new member was overreacting and missing the fact that many agreed with him/her.

Reaction Score
I know where he is coming from, and I agree with your approach. Many do not have your approach.. Now, will I be attacked?
Welcome to the good ole boys club.....

#1florida, I reply and quote you because the OP ran out of the house as fast as he/she came in. :D
No attack as you insinuate you would receive here just my opinion on the situation the OP put him or herself in and the one you seem to pursue.
Let's begin....Welcome to The Boneyard, that could almost be like saying welcome to The Hotel California, but not going to get that deep here. ;)

Nobody attacked the OP or even used slander type insults of any kind. There were differences of opinions, possibly strongly verbalized but nothing more. It should be noted anyone posting on this forum for the first time should do some homework. The first time OP came in admonishing the recruiting, use of the bench and the future of the program. He/she is walking into a room of team supporters for a few decades and saying our leader is doing it wrong. The recruiting is weak and the bench is not being properly used. This about a program that not only the head coach is in the hall of fame but the assistant also???? :confused: This while they are in the midst of a so far still undefeated season while taking on a out of conference schedule of nothing but the best.

Again nobody attacked or said anything out of what is just a difference of opinion. This was probably a different forum for the OP as much as I think it may be for yourself. I say this as you are in fear of being attacked here along with your slander of calling this forum a good ole boys club. :eek: :confused:
I welcome you and suggest as the OP should have done is do some homework. Nobody gets attacked here period...I can tell you I enjoy several sports forums and this is the Good Ship Lollipop. If someone is attacking anyone they are quickly removed. My own avatar of Diana Taurasi ESPN cover for over a year was removed without explanation. :( :confused::confused: :eek::eek:
In closing on this one please realize a large portion of the people on this forum are women. No way that this is a what you call a good ole boys club! Join in lighten up and realize there are a lot of good times/ laughs to be had here. Some may be at your expense but we all have been there to. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom