An early UConn vs Stanford analysis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

An early UConn vs Stanford analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Uconn front line of Dolson, Tiff and KF will not be able to match up with the O sisters. Dolson not quick enough or good enough rebounder and Tiff and KF will get beat up based on height and weight disadvantages. May be ok a few minutes here or there, maybe press and some zone, but need Heather and Kia. If those two can't provide some good playing time and resulsts, better hope KML has a 40 point game. Maya's loss against O sisters offense and rebounding is big, big deal.

It is a concern to be sure, and if they succeed in isolating it'll be a big problem. But basketball is not a game of 1-on-1 matchups. UConn typically plays good team defense, which will mitigate some of the front line disadvantage. That's what our backcourt is critical. If their guards can't get the ball to the O sisters, then there is no problem. We need to win the guard battle big; otherwise, we lose.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical. That would probably mean a 9-man rotation in a big/close game, which is pretty rare for Geno. I'm guessing less than 20 minutes combined for the two of them.
I think Geno will go with what is working best. He has an exciting variety of looks he will be able to put on the floor. The Sisters O are very good but I haven't been that impressed with them (as I have been with Griner) this year. I predict our front court will surprise them..

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My gut says Stanford 62-57, and I'd be overjoyed to be wrong.

Stanford allowed Texas to score 59 and Gonzaga 61. UConn's ability to score on offense and off their defense are so much better than either of those teams, there is no way they don't score more than 70.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think UConn wins this game.

1. Home court advantage
2. Too much balanced scoring and too many weapons.
3. Guard pressure creating scoring opportunities
4. Stephanie comes up big
5. Speed will begin to pay dividends midway through the second half
6. Geno and staff

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i'd be lying if i said i wasn't nervous. when we play a top ranked team, i'm always nervous. so many things can happen - AND it's very early in the season. i didn't think the 2nd half of the HC game was bad at all, but Geno and CD thought the whole game stunk so hopefully the much more efficient team that stomped Pacific shows up for the Stanford game.

having said that, i don't know what to expect. Stef was a frosh last year and Maya was a tad bigger and stronger than Kelly. starting Nneka and Chiney as the forwards for Stanford certainly will exploit size against Kelly and speed against Stef, while Stef will certainly have a size advantage over Nneka and Kelly has better guard skills than Chiney has. i agree that the advantage lies with Stanford in the post.

and for the guards and wings, i generally agree UCONN has the edge there. Doty, Hartley, and Hayes vs. Kokenis, Laroque and Greenfield. i'm of the general opinion that UCONN's guards have the edge in experience, athleticism, and experience, but i've not seen enough of Stanford's guards to know for sure.

Lindy did not impress me as a freshman, but she did as a sophomore. i really am not sure about Kokenis and Greenfield is, well, green. i'm not sure if Stanford plays man-man, or zone. i'd love to hear cardfan's analysis of the game.

i'd also give the bench edge to UCONN - Stanford has no one like KML off the bench, and i'm not sure how much they will use Booth or Tinkle. but i think Stanford does have a strong bench. and more than that, their bench gives a very different look to what their starters give - Booth and Tinkle are bigs who like to step out, and Orange is apparently a speed demon.

Geno seems to have been going with Kiah off the bench before Heather, but this may be a very good game for Heather's athelticism to shine as neither Booth nor Tinkle are big time bangers in the post.

either way i'm looking forward to the game. of course i hope we win, and the bigger we win the better IMHO.

Reaction Score
I think Geno will go with what is working best. He has an exciting variety of looks he will be able to put on the floor. The Sisters O are very good but I haven't been that impressed with them (as I have been with Griner) this year. I predict our front court will surprise them..

You are a hard person to please. What was it about Nneka's 33 points and 18 rebounds that did not impress you?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stanford allowed Texas to score 59 and Gonzaga 61. UConn's ability to score on offense and off their defense are so much better than either of those teams, there is no way they don't score more than 70.
Transitive property is a dangerous path to go down.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

Agreed, particularly if we take under advisement that we let Pacific score 53, a lesser team than Texas or Gonzaga.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Danger is my middle name.

I'll say it again. UConn is a much better scoring team than either Texas or BYU. So, please explain why UConn won't score more than 57 points?

I'd be happy to explain why they will.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Then again we only scored 77 against HC. Definitely some caveats there, but that was our production. Sometimes the sensible doesn't hold up, you never know

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Then again we only scored 77 against HC. Definitely some caveats there, but that was our production. Sometimes the sensible doesn't hold up, you never know
So, what is your score prediction?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
So, what is your score prediction?

Don't have a strong feeling, I think it's a toss-up--winner will score in the high 60s. Slight edge to the Huskies due to home-court and multiple outside threats. Tougher for Tara to game-plan.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
We've talked about the "emotion" of the players from last year wanting "revenge" but I don't really buy it. What I DO wonder is what kind of nerves/emotions the UConn youngsters might have to deal with in front of a full house, with a great opponent and on (semi) national team. Will Caroline and Tiff have the ability to keep them focused and in control of their emotions. Can the do what they and the coaches say they have to learn to do -- not compound one mistake with a second?

It'll be fun to see!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gosh I really dont think we get out rebounded by 15 or 20 which is what I think it will take for Stanford to hang with us. I know the O sisters are good rebounders but were UConn and although we are a bit shorter at times we still know how to box out. Stanford cant out shoot us so they will have to score alot of points on rebounds. Unless theyre 2 ft from the basket and most long shots dont fall close to the basket they bounce futher away, then I dont think it will make a big difference. To win Stanford is going to have to play really well as a Team and or UConn will have to play pretty poorly and with their depth I dont see that happening. I think all the questions of how good UConn is will be answered in this game and the TAM game. I repeat this is a really good team that can score alot of points.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The O sisters are excellent rebounders but Stef is, also, excellent at boxing out and clearing space for our quick slashing rebounders to sweep in clean up the boards and no one is better at keeping rebounds alive than UConn with its tap and gather technique.

Reaction Score
Well, this seems like a good game to start my attempt at analyzing selective games. The tough part is how early in the season. At least for Stanford, I can get an idea on their rotation based on the fact they played two decent opponents in Texas and BYU. And I have a feel for what Geno will do, so I’ll use that experience in writing this analysis.

You can look at this in a simplistic way. In players that will see some time Monday:

UConn loses Moore AND DIXON, gains Doty, Lewis, Banks and Stokes.
Stanford loses Pohlen, Pederson, gains Orrange, Greenfield, and maybe Samuelson (hasn't played much yet).

As great as Moore was for UConn last year, I think based on whom they gained, UConn should be the more improved team. We have seen enough of the freshman to know their potential. I did get to see the Texas game and I love how Greenfield plays. And Orrange had a great 1st game but a weak second game. Typical ups and downs for freshman. And don't underestimate the leadership void of Pholen and Pederson.

So, I’ll jump into the position by position comparison, including the bench and coaching staff.

PG – Doty (5’10) vs Kokenis (5’11”). Too early to use this years stats. UConn doesn’t even have them up. This will really be the first time Kokenis faces UConn as she only played 7 minutes last year. The reality is that these two are very similar players. Kokenis hasn’t seen the defense she will see on Monday. Way too much speed for her. And Caroline’s fire and experience give UConn the advantage.

SG – Hartley (5’7”, errr, 5’9) vs LaRoque (5’8). Harley has had an uneven start, but she can do it all from the guard position. Shooting great so far and shot great last year, so she is just continuing her improvement. LaRoque is a weak link. Not particularly quick, Hartley will have her way with her, unless Stanford covers her with Kokenis. That won’t work either. HUGE advantage UConn.

C – Dolson (6’5”) vs N. Ogumike (6’2”) Probably the most intriguing matchup of the game. N.O. is just a flat out star. She can dominate the game from the foul line in. The question is will her quickness allow her to successfully cover Dolson. Dolson will need a lot of help covering N.O. for sure. Got to give the advantage to Stanford here, but we all could be surprised/happy on how effective Dolson is in this game.

PF – Faris (5’11”) vs C. Ogumike (6’3”). Oh boy. Very tough matchup for Kelly. C.O. is just an awesome player. Kelly will have to be at her best in blocking out. But expect LOTS of putbacks for C.O. Really looking forward to see how Faris deals with this. Advantage Stanford on this one.

SF – Hayes (5’10) vs Greenfield (6’3”). Greenfield will struggle staying in front of Hayes. And she is a freshman on a big stage for the first time. This is a great opportunity for Hayes to show everyone that she can play in the big game. Gotta give this one to Tiff. Advantage Uconn.

Bench – Stokes (6’3”), Lewis (6’), Banks (5’9), Buck (6’3”) vs Orrange (5’8”), Tinkle (6’3”) and Boothe (6’5”). Based on minutes of the first two games, I wouldn’t include any of the other Stanford players. 1 or 2 minutes each for those. While I liked how Orrange looked in the Texas game, she was not very good in the 2nd game. Tinkle and Boothe are too slow to contribute that much. Lewis is a star in the making of not already there. Her talent is off the charts. Banks is similar to Orrange in being a speedy type guard. That might be a fun matchup. And Uconn’s bench bigs will do well against the Stanford bench bigs. Advantage UConn.

Coaching staff. – Two HOFers. Tough to pick an advantage here. But I think Geno is just a little bit better coach. Slight advantage UConn.

Intangibles – Home court here will be worth at least 5 points this year. Stanford’s backcourt will struggle mightily with the speed of Uconn and the loud crowd will just make it worse. And with many players remembering last years loss, revenge is always a good motivator.

So, in summary, I would give UConn the edge. I think if they can do a solid job on the boards, UConn will win by double digits. Stanford can keep it close with a great offensive rebounding effort. They certainly are capable of that. UConn is a MUCH better shooting team, especially from deep. If they are hot, look out. UConn runs away with it at the end.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!
I agree with another poster to use KML on CO. KML has a bigger body and has natural instincts to box out. This would also force CO to guard KML out on the wing focing her sister to cover Steph one on one. This is something she wouldn't have to worry as much about with Kelly. Uconn needs to push tempo and force Tara to use her bench to give players rest. Anytime either sister sits Uconn will have an advantage.

Reaction Score
You are a hard person to please. What was it about Nneka's 33 points and 18 rebounds that did not impress you?
Yes, that was a very respectable performance by N.O. against Gonzaga however I believe Stef's and, in general, UConn's defense will limit her. I think C.O. will have difficulty adjusting to UConn's diverse arsenal. My concern is how the foul picture evolves.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I agree with another poster to use KML on CO. KML has a bigger body and has natural instincts to box out. This would also force CO to guard KML out on the wing focing her sister to cover Steph one on one. This is something she wouldn't have to worry as much about with Kelly. Uconn needs to push tempo and force Tara to use her bench to give players rest. Anytime either sister sits Uconn will have an advantage.
Who led UConn in scoring against Stanford last year? ;)

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical. That would probably mean a 9-man rotation in a big/close game, which is pretty rare for Geno. I'm guessing less than 20 minutes combined for the two of them.

Coaching was another important factor mentioned in the analysis.

Last year, IMO, Stanford's coaches made better in-game adjustments than did UConn's.

This year, and not only for this game, UConn's ultimate success will be closely related to coach A's ability to step outside of his comfort zones. This year, for example, UConn has more than 6 six players to rely on, IMO, of course.

Besides, if you don't have enough confidence in the bench players to use them in important early season games, it is very unlikely that you will have confidence in them in important games during tournament times. Again, IMO, of course.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Yeah, I remember those NC games where Tennessee kept outrebounding them. UConn is doomed.

How about a little more recent history. 2 loses last year. ND outrebounded Uconn 39-27 and Trees out rebounded Uconn 43-36. Hmmmm. Seem like losing the rebounding battle is not a good indicator of probable victory. Closest victory of 1 point over Bears won rebounding battle 40-35. Yeah, not worried about rebounding. A team we last played in NC some 8 or 9 years ago could rebound but not shoot, that proves rebounding not a key to victory against Stanford on Monday.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How about a little more recent history. 2 loses last year. ND outrebounded Uconn 39-27 and Trees out rebounded Uconn 43-36. Hmmmm. Seem like losing the rebounding battle is not a good indicator of probable victory. Closest victory of 1 point over Bears won rebounding battle 40-35. Yeah, not worried about rebounding. A team we last played in NC some 8 or 9 years ago could rebound but not shoot, that proves rebounding not a key to victory against Stanford on Monday.

Wow...so much sarcasm, so little time.

There is so much more to the game than rebounding. It could be a difference maker, and I have even said in my post that they need to do a good job on the boards.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It's a cause and effect thing though. One of the reasons we were out rebounded is because we shot so poorly in those games, and it's easier to get defensive rebounds than offensive. Also, Steph was sitting on the pine for much of the 2nd game.

Plus they were two away games for us (Indianapolis was like a home game for ND).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im very confident UConn wins fairly easily. Dont underestimate a blowout. I really dont think Stanford can hang with us. We have to many scorers and they have the Osisters and thats about it. UConn by 10+ and if the defense handles their guards.....Good Night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom