An early UConn vs Stanford analysis | Page 4 | The Boneyard

An early UConn vs Stanford analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Why is that a nightmare for Stanford? Chiney was part of the crew that frustrated Maya last year.

As great as Maya was, she was no threat to put the ball on the floor. Tiff and Faris present that challenge, Tiff more so.

In the 2010 Dec game against Stanford, Tiffany played great and successfully took Pedersen off the dribble. In last year's game, Stanford's defense was ready for Tiffany and drew a charge on one of UConn's first possessions of the game. That charge call and another subsequent foul call seemed to take Tiff our of her game (and out of THE game). Tiffany will be able to take whoever is guarding her off the dribble but will, as always, need to avoid the charge.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Plus, Stanford did not see Doty last year and what she brings to the table.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
The O sisters are excellent rebounders but Stef is, also, excellent at boxing out and clearing space for our quick slashing rebounders to sweep in clean up the boards and no one is better at keeping rebounds alive than UConn with its tap and gather technique.
After watching the O sisters in action, they clog up the paint and jump very quickly before any guard can sweep in and clean up any boards... have you not seen them? It was completely annoying that not even bigs could fix this problem without fouling Chiney.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Then who would she guard?

If UConn has Dolson (covered by big sis), Faris, Doty, Hayes, or Hartley with Lewis, lil sis will be pulled away from the basket on defense.

Of course, lil sis can post up on offense. But she is going to get real tired chasing around whomever she is guarding.
KML isn't the most athletic, and Chiney has showed she can play with the most athletic Maya. How can anyone forget? selective memory?

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Chiney was no.1 coming out of high school, above Sims, Hartley and Dolson... for a reason. SHES so athletic, tall and a scorer with the ball.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
As great as Maya was, she was no threat to put the ball on the floor. Tiff and Faris present that challenge, Tiff more so.

In the 2010 Dec game against Stanford, Tiffany played great and successfully took Pedersen off the dribble. In last year's game, Stanford's defense was ready for Tiffany and drew a charge on one of UConn's first possessions of the game. That charge call and another subsequent foul call seemed to take Tiff our of her game (and out of THE game). Tiffany will be able to take whoever is guarding her off the dribble but will, as always, need to avoid the charge.

I'm just hoping she can consistently score, and not rely on driving to the basket, but rather a stop and pop jump shot, which is very very hard to guard. ALA Moore. I was so impressied with Maya's jump shot... oh how i miss it in the college game.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Has Tiff used the stop pop and shot jumper this year? If she gets good at that or worked on it this summer, she would be awesome.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Has Tiff used the stop pop and shot jumper this year? If she gets good at that or worked on it this summer, she would be awesome.

She reportedly worked on it over the summer and has tried it 2-3 times in the first 2 games with no success. I hope she doesn't get discouraged because it could be such a weapon for her. She's so quick but defenders drew many charges against her last year.

Sue Bird and Renee Montgomery are 2 of the best I've seen at the pull-up jumper.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Why is that a nightmare for Stanford? Chiney was part of the crew that frustrated Maya last year.

Because it is a tough matchup for a 6'3" player who is not overley quick to guard one of the quickest players on the UConn roster.

Tiff is not Maya. Totally different matchup. Faris is not that much easier.

Maya, for all her greatness, is an easier cover for someone like Chiney.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
She reportedly worked on it over the summer and has tried it 2-3 times in the first 2 games with no success. I hope she doesn't get discouraged because it could be such a weapon for her. She's so quick but defenders drew many charges against her last year.

Sue Bird and Renee Montgomery are 2 of the best I've seen at the pull-up jumper.

By the time she is done, you will add Hartley to that list.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
By the time she is done, you will add Hartley to that list.

I agree. I thought Bria's pull-up was terrific last year. In 2 games this year it seems a little short (front of the rim) but I expect she'll start hitting them real soon -- starting Monday night would be nice

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree. I thought Bria's pull-up was terrific last year. In 2 games this year it seems a little short (front of the rim) but I expect she'll start hitting them real soon -- starting Monday night would be nice
You have a good eye, Cat.

In looking at the play by play, she was 5-9 on 3's, 6-12 on 2's.

But she was 1-5 on jumpers and 5-7 on layups.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I rarely look forward to the weekend coming to an end, but I can hardly wait to see Baylor vs ND and then UCONN s. Stanford. This could be a preview of the Final Four.

Speaking of the Final Four. I live a mile from the Pepsi Center and got my tickets to the Final Four (nose bleed city but I'll be there). I also will be in Texas for Christmas and got my tickets to the Baylor vs. UCONN game. Hopefully I will get to see UCONN play several games this year.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Ok. Maya was athletic and fast, if she touched the ball it would almost always go in the net. So lets not get carried away and mek her seem slow and incapable. Who stopped Maya at all in her four years at UCONN, i can't remember anyone other than Chiney/Pederson. I hate selective memory.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score

You are deifinitely right there, those two had that shot like an art form. Rene's 3s were lethal in that respect, also C Toliver from Maryland.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Because it is a tough matchup for a 6'3" player who is not overley quick to guard one of the quickest players on the UConn roster.

Honestly, Farris doesn't score like Maya, Tiff, Dolson or Hartley against great teams anyways... So i'm sure shes an easier person to guard than those four.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I was listening to Mulk's comments for her haltime adjustments and it reminded me of this match up in regards to using your defense to win the game even if you are having a bad shooting night. you can listen to the postgame comments
http://www.baylorbears.com/allaccess/?media=283909

I think UCONN does win despite all it's possble shooting woes because of the uncanny team defense. Shooting opportunities will come from great defensive plays. Thats how i forsee it playing out.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Honestly, Farris doesn't score like Maya, Tiff, Dolson or Hartley against great teams anyways... So i'm sure shes an easier person to guard than those four.

Faris (one "r") was the leading scorer in last years game with 19 points. Left open, she took 9 3's.

There is a reason you don't cover a smaller quick player with a taller slower player, no matter how talented that player is.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ok. Maya was athletic and fast, if she touched the ball it would almost always go in the net. So lets not get carried away and mek her seem slow and incapable. Who stopped Maya at all in her four years at UCONN, i can't remember anyone other than Chiney/Pederson. I hate selective memory.
Selective memory? I have no idea why you are saying that. I certainly know and appreciate the greatness of Maya.

And Maya had other bad games. Talk about selective memory.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Selective memory? I have no idea why you are saying that. I certainly know and appreciate the greatness of Maya.

And Maya had other bad games. Talk about selective memory.

Counting the bad games in one hand versus all the other hundred is a different kind of selection in my eyes.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't get the Kokenis connection with speed... I've seen her play quite a bit and never felt like she had more than average speed. And i don't see ND giving UConn more trouble than the Aggies.

Other than those quibbles, I agree with your post.

Kokenis has excellent speed. I haven't noticed the upright dribbling that Wallman mentions so I'll have to pay attention to that. I know Pohlen was an upright dribbler as well and for that reason was vulnerable to pressure defense earlier in her career.

I have to agree with Wallman on ND. I see ND as a tougher game for UConn than Texas A&M. Diggins is such a handful to guard. But I also think ND will have difficulty defending Dolson.

Reaction Score

This baffles me. You are saying both that Maya wasnt quick (Chiney is "not quick", yet she was able to stay with Maya), and that it's harder to guard Tiff or even Faris than her.

Reaction Score

Thank you for the explanation, Cat.
This will be an interesting test for Tiff. I would expect Stanford to go at her hard to start in hopes that if they contain her initially she'll get frustrated and lose confidence (since she's well aware that the knock on her is not showing in big games).

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Thank you for the explanation, Cat.
This will be an interesting test for Tiff. I would expect Stanford to go at her hard to start in hopes that if they contain her initially she'll get frustrated and lose confidence (since she's well aware that the knock on her is not showing in big games).
"go at her hard" to contain her? I don't see how that will work. Would it not make it easier for her to drive by them? And which Stanford player(s) would go at her hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom